PDA

View Full Version : Need help telling our kids. Creative folks give me your ideas!

NicInNC
12-28-2007, 07:12 PM
We haven't told our kids that we're taking them to WDW. We're going to leave the night before our arrival (around 8pm) and drive to Georgia so we won't have so long of a drive the day of arrival. I want to "tell" them about the trip via a scavenger hunt the day we leave. We will have everything packed up the night before while they're sleeping (except for last minute things like their teddy bears they sleep with, toothbrushes, etc).

The end of the hunt will be the car, which I'm going to have all decorated with mickey heads and "Disney World Bound" written on the windows with window chalk.

I want the scavenger hunt to be hard. I'm mean like that. :laughing:

I want to mislead them and make them think we're going somewhere else and have it lead up to more Disney clues. If I start off with a picture of Tink, they'll guess right away. I'm just not good at this kind of stuff and I need ideas!

Tammysue5
12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
It sounds like you are perfect at this! You have a great idea in the car being made up! You are great at keeping secrets, I could never have gotten away with it....

I am not a real creative person myself, but having DDs about the same age...
Your right if you put Tink out right away they will guess. What about HSM and/or Hannah Montana? They are Disney but they may not relate either to WDW right away? A cheap Hannah Montana microphone (Libby Lu $4) Or poster of HSM or Hannah Montana?

(If I am not mistaken they have a HSM pep rally at WDW.)

If I think of anything else I will get back to you... I will be interested in what ideas others have... Like I said I am not very creeative.

Good Luck!

NicInNC
12-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I just thought of a few things I can use:

New pj's that I bought them today. I can wrap them up and atach a note with a rhyme mentioning something about sleeping away from home. Maybe they'll think they're having a sleepover or something.

I'll give them a hint that leads them to their bathing suits. That will make them think "warm and swimming". Maybe they'll then think we're going to the beach.

I want a LOT of things though. I want them to be whining going "What is going ON?". LOL

NicInNC
12-29-2007, 11:25 PM
OK. I've come up with some:

The first "poem" (I suck at poems) will be on wrinkled up old looking paper that I'm going to print off. I'm also making X's to mark each "clue".

A treasure awaits the two of you
Clues will lead you to something good
Your treasure is not underground
That's not where it will be found
You must look between the lines
Dig into your curious minds
The items you find will be used
Once you find your final clue
So off you go, working together
The treasure at the end is something you'll cherish forever!

Here are the clues I've come up with so far:

Find something that makes your teeth squeeky clean
It will give you a smile like a king or a queen! [toothbrush]

The weather is cool, you need to grab it
So hurry up and get your _________ [jacket]

Don't be a slouch
Check under the _______ [couch]....(I'll have something hiding under the couch that we'll need to take with us....like a flashlight for camping).

When you're dirty, there is hope
just wash off with a bar of _______ [soap]

Soft, puffy and white,
you use this at night. [pillow]

No need to rush
Just go get your _______ [brush]

Take these for a walk, flippity-flop---
To protect you from sand that's scorching hot. [flip-flops]

A place where animals sleep at a farm
Your next clue can be found in the ______ [barn]....(bikes)

After dinner, the dishes go in here
It will make the mess dissapear! (I will have new pajamas hidden in the dishwasher)

This isn't a chore
Go check by our closet______ [door] (I'll have a suitcase sitting in front of the door)

Mean sisters.....Mice into horses....pumpkin into coach....glass slipper....
Who am I thinking of?
(I'm hoping they will guess Cinderella and go get my youngest dd's cinderella dress. They'll need these costumes for the Pirate and Princess party on Monday night when we're there.)

Feisty, fun-loving and fearless. Peter Pan is my best friend. (Oldest dd will hopefully go get her Tinkerbell costume)

I still need more "clues". This will be the final clue:

The treasure you're looking for is presently hiding
In a place where you spend a lot of time riding!

(They will go out to the garage. The car will be all decorated with "Honk if you love Disney World" on the back window and Mickey Mouse heads drawn on the side windows. Taped to the door handle, I will have a sign that says "OPEN" and when they open the van, it will be filled with balloons and attached to one Disney mylar balloon will be an envelope with the invitation and tickets to the Pirate and Princess Party in it. That's when we'll tell them that we're leaving THAT NIGHT!)

tiggerfan1
01-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Wow! You are one cool parent!! :thumbsup2 That's such a wonderful way to tell your kids about the surprise WDW trip. I don't think that you need much help thinking of rhymes. You've already thought of a lot of great ones. I'm not the best with poems, but here's my contribution:

Look! There's Ariel waving her fin!
You'll need to wear this to go for a swim. (for the bathing suit)

That's kinda lame, but it's the only one I could think of. If I think of any better ones, I'll let you know. :)

postesf
01-04-2008, 09:56 AM
That looks awesome!!!

Have you checked out the Creative DISigns section yet??? Some designers on there have websties such as Pat (patsdesigns.com) and amy (amymickey.com). Others take requested via PM or through the thread.

Some have made t-shirts w/ irons from there to help in the suprise w/ the kids.

I've totally gotten addicted! I'm getting ready to make my first iron-on t-shirts this weekend.

You may get some neat ideas there--it not for your scavenger hunt--but just extras for when you go.

postesf
01-04-2008, 09:57 AM
That looks awesome!!!

Have you checked out the Creative DISigns section yet??? Some designers on there have websties such as Pat (patsdesigns.com) and amy (amymickey.com). Others take requested via PM or through the thread.

Some have made t-shirts w/ irons from there to help in the suprise w/ the kids.

I've totally gotten addicted! I'm getting ready to make my first iron-on t-shirts this weekend.

You may get some neat ideas there--it not for your scavenger hunt--but just extras for when you go.