PDA

View Full Version : I need some help...should I upgrade to GC concierge???

LuvTigger
05-01-2001, 03:48 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in a little bit of a dillema. I got some quotes from Dreams Unlimited for 3 nights at GC, Resort Magic Package. One quote was for a standard theme-park view room, the other for a theme-park view concierge room.

It comes out to be about $100 more per night for the concierge room. (I know the concierge room includes a Disney Club discount, and I think the standard room is discounted as well.)

Has anyone out there done concierge at GC? It'll be a total of $300 more, but I know I'll make up some of the extra cost by eating breakfast and snacks, and picking up bottled water from the concierge lounge. I also love turn-down service! What other amenities are "special" or exclusive to concierge level?

On the other hand, I could use the extra money for a nice dinner or a massage, or maybe both!

I'd welcome any input!:jester:

Michelle
05-01-2001, 04:05 PM
I'll be doing GC-Concierge for a little weekend jaunt on 5/11 and will let you know all about it after I go. Is that too late for you to decide on your reservation? :D

DisneyaHolic23
05-01-2001, 09:45 PM
We just did the GC Concierge April 10-13.

First off, it is not worth the money. That being said, I would do it again in a second! I love feeling pampered and special. However, if money is an issue (and it always is for me!), there is a lot you can do with the $100 a day. Here is what you got:

Breakfast - bagels, fruit, banana bread (GREAT!), croissants (chocolate and regular), cold cereal and juices.

Afternoon - cookies and milk

5:00-7:00 - wine and cheese, and some other appetizer

Plus, there was the water and pop all day (you did have to ask for it - it wasn't just setting out)

I also was able to get a free refrigerator from concierge.

You can get movies for your DVD player.

They can make Blue Bayou reservations days in advance, plus all your other reservations.

They called a week before I went, at home, and offered to make any arrangements for me.

Oh, and the park view rooms are phenomenal! We could hear the parade! Gosh, I wish I were there now!

LuvTigger
05-02-2001, 11:13 PM
Webmaster Michelle and DisneyaHolic,

Thank you both for your replies! I need to make up my mind by May 9, when my deposit is due.

DisneyaHolic, I think you and I are on the same wavelength in terms of the money thing! I didn't think it would really "worth it" in terms of adding up how much the cost of the food and drinks, but I do love the pampering, turn-down service, and knowing that they'll make my Blue Bayou ressies for me instead of me going to the podium!

I have decided that even if I don't do concierge, I will get a theme-park view.

DisneyaHolic, what kinds of amenities did your room come with that (from what you know) don't come in a standard room? Do you know if the room was bigger than a standard?

I'm leaning towards saving the money only because I found out that I may have an opportunity to go to Florida for work. If so, I can add on a few days at the end to go to WDW!

Webmaster Michelle, I hope you have a great time, and I'm looking forward to your trip report when you return!!!

Anyone else out there who has stayed at GC concierge, I'd still love for you to share your comments! :p

DisneyaHolic23
05-03-2001, 08:41 AM
I really don't know if my room had extra amenities that wouldn't be had without concierge. My room was a good size; it had a couch w/coffee table and desk, so maybe you could ask reservations if standard rooms also have couches - that might give a room size difference.

I was able to get the free fridge from the concierge desk - that was great. Usually, when I go to a hotel, I take things out of the mini-bar, put my items in to stay cold, and then replace the mini-bar items at the end of my trip. That won't work here, because the mini-bar is computerized, and anything removed for even a minute (or something like that) registers on the computer, and shows up on the bill. Obviously, one could fight the charges if they didn't consume the items, but what a pain!

The park view rooms, like I said, are awesome. Our room was over the GC pool, with the park right behind. I was entranced by the view at night, and in the morning it was so quiet, but they have to start running the rides early, so it was like the park was open....

Wish I were going again. I go at the end of June for a convention, but don't get to stay in the GC. It just won't be the same!

Minybear
05-03-2001, 12:56 PM
LuvTigger

Are you going with any children? If you are then the concierge would be great for you and your family due to all the extra items that they have.

I also brought up this question about a month or 2 months ago and my husband decided we were going to stay and do concierge service due to we can get restaurant resv's prior to our trip and the breakfast and all the sodas that they have. Its kinda hard to look beyond the money and see if its worth the cost. I know I have been there and I tryed to get my husband to have us change from concierge to reg rm with the theme park view and save that $200 for WDW in January 2002. We decided we want the extra pampering this is -our- vacation. We are going to enjoy every minute of it.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

LuvTigger
05-03-2001, 03:18 PM
Minybear,

Nope, no children, just the two of us!

My initial thought was that I would like to splurge on the pampering, but once I found out that I MIGHT have the opportunity to go to Florida, I decided that the extra $300 would really help, especially because if it happens, it's going to happen in only about two months!

I decided to change my ressie back to a standard room with a theme-park view. If the Florida thing doesn't work out, I could always upgrade later and pay a small fee.

Thanks to everyone for all the input! If I don't do concierge this time, I will probably do it on my next visit when I have more time to plan!