PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

Pages : [1] 2 3

toystoryduo
11-26-2007, 05:44 AM
This will be the third time we have been in Florida when the shuttle launches and this time, we definitely want to see it!:thumbsup2 I have several questions...Any tips on where we can go to see the launch? Any places outside of the space center? When should we get there? What will the crowds be like? Any good places to eat in the area? How do we get there from WDW? Thanks for your help!:goodvibes

goofy4tink
11-26-2007, 06:07 AM
I've seen two launches, from WDW proper. Obviously you aren't seeing it very well, but you do see the shuttle go overhead...sort of. There is no way we would leave WDW and head closer to Cape Canaveral to see it up close. Just way too much traffic. We were in WDW in August when the shuttle launched...watched it from the beach at the Polynesian. Then, 3 days later we arrived in Cocoa Beach and visited Kennedy Space Center. Having watched the shuttle launch several days earlier added to the fun of visiting the center. We had hoped the launch would be delayed until we were at Cocoa Beach, but it wasn't.
You can see the flames from the shuttle go overhead, from WDW. If in MK you can watch to the east, over TomorrowLand.
But, leave the area and try to get closer? Not me...way too much work and traffic and time wasted.

domestic goddess
11-26-2007, 06:22 AM
We have also seen the shuttle launch from WDW 2 times. The first time was from MK at night during MVMCP. They stopped the fireworks for the launch and then started them again after it was pretty much out of sight. We had been to Kennedy Space Center the week before the launch and had seen the shuttle on the launch pad. That was really cool to have seen it on the luanch pad and then to see it taking off! The last time we were at EPCOT and saw it over the lagoon during the day. It was harder to see it during the day but we could still tell what it was.

From what I hear it is very hard to get very close to Cape Canaveral on launch days and there are cars lining the streets all around there. As previously stated there is a lot of traffic and you won't get much better view.

Have a great trip and good luck!

daisylove
11-26-2007, 06:25 AM
This summer we saw the launch from the swiss family treehouse. When you get up to the bedroom stop there and look over towards space mountain. It was really cool. The shuttle came from behind space mountain and curved up towards the castle.

Pixiedust34
11-26-2007, 06:27 AM
We saw a launch from Tom Sawyer's Island in August. There was one other family there waiting for the launch with us, and we all cheered when we saw it. It was just white streaks in the sky from where we were standing, but it was still interesting for us.

mcqueengroupie
11-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Could you tell me the date of the launch????

1000th happy haunt
11-26-2007, 08:05 AM
The Atlantis shuttle launch is scheduled for December 6, 2007 at 4:30pm. The Endeavour shuttle launch is scheduled for February 14, 2008 at 12:00 noon.

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

mcqueengroupie
11-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Thank you, we hope to catch a glimpse.:thumbsup2

vettechick99
11-26-2007, 08:28 AM
I saw a launch from the Poly beach and it was boring! Nothing to write home about. So I would try and make the effort to get closer if you really want to see it. I read in the Beyond Disney book that they have a $50pp package to view it from inside the compound (but that's too late to book now). Of course you can view it from the streets for free, but as others said the traffic is rough. But really, the traffic is the price you pay to see it launch.

If it's something you really want to see, make the effort and expect to work for it. ;)

Here is a good site (http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing.html). Look at the bottom for neat pictures from the locations listed.

bdpa
11-26-2007, 09:22 AM
:eek: We were at Kennedy for the August launch. We had purchased the tickets (thru KSC)to get as close as possible. It's a once in a lifetime thing! We will not be doing it again. We had to be there before 11:00 a.m. for an afternoon/evening launch. Everything (giftshops, movies, rides) are VERY crowded. We got in line to watch the IMAX movie - we were in it for over an hour. At Launch time they board you on the buses and take you about 6 miles of the launch pad. No chairs. Just a grassy strip. You can see the shuttle with binoculars. When the launch happens. You can feel it and then hear the launch. Can't really see anything but white smoke. Over in about 20 minutes then it's back on the bus. I bet there were 200 charter buses on that little strip of land (causeway?). It had taken us 45 minutes or so to get to Kennedy. It took over 3 hours to get back. Bumper to Bumper traffic - and we had waited till most of the crowds had left Kennedy Center. Like I said - it was really neat to see. But I think - now I wish we had tried to see it from WDW. Really everything is so crowded that you can't really DO anything. It was so hot that day and so many people , we were exhausted by the time we got back to our room.Hope this helps. This is just our "take" on the trip. Kennedy has such neat stuff that it would be a shame to go and not get to see everything. Have fun regardless of what you decide. :dance3:

disneygirlinnj
11-26-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm hoping to see the launch from Disney next week. My one friend lives down there and she goes to Kennedy all the time to watch but I know you have to buy ticket wayyyy ahead of time to get a decent view. Thanks for the tips on where to see it (tomorrowland) Launch time is 4:30 and we'll be at Epcot... hmm...

does anyone know where to watch the launch from Epcot?

Eljay
11-26-2007, 09:29 AM
We saw the Shuttle Launch on Oct. 23, from the boat dock behind the Contemporary.

redoschi
11-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I'll arrive in Orlando (MCO) at about 2pm on Dec 6th. Our flight from Brazil comes to Orlando, we'll stay on a hotel near the airport as we take a flight to New york on the Early morning of Dec 7th. But we'll be back on the 11th for 12 full days of WDW before returning to Brazil!

I was thinking on hitting something like the Florida Mall (nearest mall I believe to the airport. If anyone has another idea I'm open for it!) for some strolling around and an early dinner before we get an early sleep to get up at 4am for the NY flight.

Does anyone know if we can see the launch from the Florida mall or anywhere in the Airport area? Any ideas of a nice place to see it in the area?

Snoopymom
11-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the info.

I'd also like to know if there is somewhere besideds Disney in Orlando or even 30 minutes out that would be a good spot?

bellebuzzntink
11-26-2007, 02:00 PM
DH saw it a while back and said it was really disappointing for the effort and hype. He said it was just a white streak in the sky and then gone. He got as close as traffic would allow, without being on KSC property, but was still miles away, of course.

We will be at WDW on Dec. 6th, and but for a 5pm Spirit of Aloha, I might be dragging him out there for another disappointing viewing! I guess I'll look for it in the skies as we head to the Poly!

Brian_WDW74
11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
does anyone know where to watch the launch from Epcot?

The shuttle rises from behind the Mexico pavilion, so it's best to be on the other side of the World Showcase Lagoon to see it. My favorite spot is from the Rose and Crown at the United Kingdom pavilion, but I'd say just about anywhere from the UK to Japan would be good. :)

Lintasare
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I remember when I was a CP I saw a launch from the cast parking lot at MGM. It was right after Illuminations because I remember watching the Illuminations fireworks over the trees while waiting for my ride. Right after the Illuminations fireworks ended I saw this bright ball of light go up, at first we thought it was one final firework but it just kept going. That was when we realized the space shuttle was going up. We missed our bus because we were watching it. It was really kinda cool.

rkandmjsmommy
11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
We will be at MK on Dec 6 and hope to get a glimpse, it might be boring but I think it will be cool to see it:cool1:

BPCooper
11-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to lift off on Dec. 6 at 4:31:44pm EST (exact second will be refined by launch day). This is the middle of an exactly ten minute long. Atlantis on mission STS-122 will deliver the long-awaited European Columbus science laboratory module to the international space station.

It is well worth it to go and see the shuttle launch, regardless of traffic or even if you can't get the absolute closest. There are just 13 shuttle launches left; everyone should get to see it once.

http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing.html

This guide will give you a rundown on viewing the launch. Titusville is the closest offsite (free) location at 12 miles away.

The closest viewing is 6.5 to 7.5 miles from the NASA causeway but those tickets (tickets only since 9/11, unfortunately; it used to be free) are long sold out. However, tickets to view from the Visitors Complex at 7.4 miles from the pad are still available at www.KennedySpaceCenter.com. The only asterisk is that the pad itself is not visible from the VC.

Please note: kennedyspacecenter.com is NOT a NASA website and the information on there is not always accurate or up to date.

The best website for launch dates from the Cape is:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/

Good site to bookmark. They will also, starting early next week, begin to provide daily updates and a "mission status center" with play by play of the launch. It is a great place to check to see if the launch is ontime, the official weather forecast, etc.

From Titusville, at 12 miles, it is easily visible and you will hear it easily but do not go expecting a deafening roar. More appropriately, you should ask yourself "how many things can you hear from 12 miles away at all?" The shuttle's roar is clear from there. It shows just how powerful and amazing it is to send an 18-story building into space. (If you could get to the causeway, it is much much louder).

If the sound is more important than the setting, then the Visitors Complex may be better for you. It will be much louder there than Titusville. It also provides you with things to do during the day, though, yes, it will be crowded on launch day (like Disney ;-)

I hope you try! Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions.

Hope this helps everyone.

cat1258
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
We saw Columbia's launch from Titusville in 1996. It was the coolest thing to see it in person. There was a man there who had worked for NASA for years and told us lots of things about the shuttle and the launch. He told us when to expect the sound of the launch, and when the solid rocket boosters would fall. We still have the video we shot and the t-shirts with the mission number and Columbia on them. It's something my family will always remember, especially given what happened to Columbia a few years later.

IwasatWDWforamonth
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I will just say that I think that it is worth the hassle to get closer, of course this is coming from a girl who looks for the space shuttle while it flys over michigan at 2am.

but any how, I would make the trip to space park in titusville.

we did the nasa causeway thing for the past launch October 23rd, and I'd do it all over again, it was really cloudy so that kind of limited our view but it was still worth it.

Its just hard to get tickets, they were gone in 2 minutes, I just got in.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/hopesoap1234/005_5_0002.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/hopesoap1234/bbbbbffffttttyy.jpg

Seahunt
11-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Here's a picture from the Ponce Inlet lighthouse (Daytona Beach) of a night launch:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q177/seahunt_2006/Shuttle-1.jpg

I think everyone should go to a launch at least one time if you are close to the area. We are lucky as we can just step out our front door and watch the shuttles rocket trail across the sky when they head off (and Atlas rocket launches too) - they are many miles away of course, and it takes about 5 mins for the rumbling sound wave to arrive clear up here in Daytona! (And depending on their trajectory coming home, sometimes we get the double sonic booms - scary loud! :)

BTW you can also go to the "youtube" website and look at shuttle launches in Titusville to see what they look like so you can decide if you want to drive over. If we're going down we usually go to the park but I know the TV reporters during the last shuttle launch said they were at a bar called "New York New York" in Titusville and they said it was undiscovered for the great launch view from there, but maybe that's a little too rowdy for families :rotfl:

There are also lots of tours available - you can even take a boat tour and watch the shuttle launch from the water. If anyone is a real space fan, Gray Line has a super launch experience with pick up at your Orlando hotel for $115pp - here's the info:

This is our closest view possible for the launch of Space Shuttle! The tour includes round-trip transportation from your Orlando-area hotel to Kennedy Space Center, admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, Launch Viewing Ticket for the special NASA Causeway viewing site, and a souvenir t-shirt. This is the ultimate package for any space buff and guarantees the closest view possible for a member of the public - the NASA Causeway only NASA officials, press and invited dignitaries are allowed closer.
You will be able to see the Space Shuttle on the launch pad from only 6 miles away! This is very close allowing you to see the liftoff and feel the powerful rumble of the shuttle’s massive engines. The view is across a beautiful natural waterfront area in so you’ll definitely want your camera or binoculars!

Collapsible umbrella-style chairs and blankets can be brought along but no folding sun chairs are permitted. It is an open causeway area with no seating but it is the best view on property. There will be a launch countdown on the public address system. There is no refund should the launch be scrubbed on the day of the tour.

For the launch day there will be no standard access tickets allowed on Kennedy Space Center property and there will also be no onsite ticket sales, the only way people will get to view the launch is with the pre-booked programs.

You will have a maximum access badge so take advantage of the time in KSC to see the exhibits, IMAX movies or visit the space shop. This is a fantastic opportunity to be within a limited number of people who will have this opportunity. A souvenir t-shirt will be provided to remind you of the day you went to Kennedy Space Center and had the opportunity to see the shuttle lift off!

This is a long day so we don’t recommend it for small children. The maximum access badge is a 2-day ticket and can be used on the consecutive day (transportation fees would apply) to see further aspects of the space center - IMAX movies and bus tours may not be available on launch day - therefore we would recommend you plan using the 2nd day of access of your ticket if you are unable to see them launch day.

Be aware that security at the Visitor Complex entrance will be thorough. All bags will be checked and no questionable items will be permitted. This includes any pocket knives, mace/pepper spray, scissors, box cutters or anything the guests may have in their possession that could be construed as a weapon. The checking of bags takes time so you are encouraged to limit the items you carry whenever possible in order to minimize your wait time. No items will be allowed to be left on the buses and storage at KSC is not available.

Tickets for this package are very limited and will sell out!!

BPCooper
11-26-2007, 09:31 PM
The Gray Line tour (which in fact I think are still available for STS-122) is viewing from the NASA causeway. The catch is you must be picked up from a hotel in Orlando.

http://www.ksctickets.com/grydol.html

That beautiful photo above was taken by the Daytona Beach News Journal of STS-76 in 1996.

My advice is always that if you are already within an hour or two, you should definitely drive the rest of the way :-) even if it takes a second try because of a scrub. It is unquestionably worth it.

toystoryduo
11-27-2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the great tips! :goodvibes How busy is Titusville the day of the launch? Are there any places that we can view the launch from that are less crowded than others? Thanks again!:goodvibes

Endeavour105
11-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the great tips! :goodvibes How busy is Titusville the day of the launch? Are there any places that we can view the launch from that are less crowded than others? Thanks again!:goodvibes

"Less crowded" is a relative term and you need to consider all of Titusville very busy...and crowded...on launch day.

Viewing the launch from WDW or being able to see the space shuttle head for space at WDW is solely dependant on the cloud cover between WDW and the Cape. There are no guarantees that one will be able to see it, and, depending on the cloud cover, one can expect to get a fleeting glimpse at best if viewing from WDW if there is cloud cover.

redoschi
11-27-2007, 08:51 AM
I'll arrive in Orlando (MCO) at about 2pm on Dec 6th. Our flight from Brazil comes to Orlando, we'll stay on a hotel near the airport as we take a flight to New york on the Early morning of Dec 7th. But we'll be back on the 11th for 12 full days of WDW before returning to Brazil!

I was thinking on hitting something like the Florida Mall (nearest mall I believe to the airport. If anyone has another idea I'm open for it!) for some strolling around and an early dinner before we get an early sleep to get up at 4am for the NY flight.

Does anyone know if we can see the launch from the Florida mall or anywhere in the Airport area? Any ideas of a nice place to see it in the area?

Does anyone know if, with weather permitting, there is a nice place to see the launch from the Florida Mall / Airport area?

Conan the Librarian
11-27-2007, 09:52 AM
The following is a photo I took in 1984 of Discovery. I was on the causway with my 8" Newtonian and took the picture through it.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/waccoo/shuttle.jpg

Then there was this launch of Atlantis in Dec 2006 that I took from Savannah, GA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-CAbRBiQI

The video doesn't coordinate with the audio, but, you can tell what's going on.

Next time, I'll have a tri-pod!

TheIncredibles
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Haven't thought of this in a while - I was at MK when the last manned Apollo Mission flew to the Moon! Naturally, being Texans, we didn't know when or where to look, but we heard later it flew in full view right over the park!

IwasatWDWforamonth
11-27-2007, 05:25 PM
The following is a photo I took in 1984 of Discovery. I was on the causway with my 8" Newtonian and took the picture through it.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/waccoo/shuttle.jpg

Then there was this launch of Atlantis in Dec 2006 that I took from Savannah, GA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-CAbRBiQI

The video doesn't coordinate with the audio, but, you can tell what's going on.

Next time, I'll have a tri-pod!

quite a lens you had there,

cool picture:thumbsup2

toystoryduo
11-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your tips and pictures!:goodvibes

rabilodeau
11-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Seen a few launches. The best was this year during school break. This was the one that went up at night. We were at EPCOT and you could hear a pin drop while everyone looked up to See the shuttle. It lit up the hole area. It was amazing..

Traffic will be heaviest the closer you get to the space center. You do not have to be that close to get a good view. try a beach 10 /20 miles away. If you don't mind the traffic get there early (Any where along the sea shore) and spend a few hours after the launch having a picnic.

I do it to say "Been there, done that, whats next"

Have fun

BPCooper
11-30-2007, 06:21 PM
If it was this year and at night, it wasn't the shuttle. The only nighttime shuttle launch in the last five years was Dec. 9, 2006, at 8:47pm.

Eeyore's My Favorite
11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.

I'd also like to know if there is somewhere besideds Disney in Orlando or even 30 minutes out that would be a good spot?

I live in a small town the south end of Volusia County & can actually see the launches from my home. We always watch it crest the top of the trees. But if you want to see spectacular without crowds you could try watching it from either the beach at New Smyrna Beach or one of the beaches in Daytona Beach. You'd probably miss the crowds - you'll still feel the rumble, but you won't feel the heat from the launch pad like you would at KSC. You will be able to see the shuttle til it's way down range from the actual launch site. JMHO..............

Lyons Family
12-02-2007, 08:05 AM
We were at Chef Mickeys in the Contemporary when I remembered the launch. I went to the Bar to get drinks and the bartender goes The shuttle will take off in 5 min. I went and got my husband and daughter. From the bar TV behind us and looking out the windows east we saw the tv launch on live and saw the shuttle rise above the tree line about 5 sec. later. Even though we were about 40 miles ? away it was awesome.

CanadianGuy
12-02-2007, 08:27 AM
What a great thread.. I'm going to sticky this till Thursday.. Cuz I bet lots of people will be asking.

Knox

BPCooper
12-02-2007, 08:33 AM
The countdown for launch of Shuttle Atlantis on mission STS-122, the 121st flight of the space shuttle program, will begin at 7:00pm EST Monday at the T-43 hour mark. The countdown includes about 24 hours of built in holds leading up to launch at 4:31:44pm EST Thursday (+/- a few seconds).

The early weather outlook looks very favorable.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts122/071130frr/

This website will provide live updates in their "mission status center" leading up to launch. You can also view it live on NASA TV (www.nasa.gov/ntv) and on all three cable news channels.

mickiecake
12-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a question about shuttle launches.. We want to go to the one on Feb 14th.. how will I know when tickets go on sale? Will it be on the website? If they sell out in 2 minutes, I guess I need to be on the ball!!

BPCooper
12-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I have a question about shuttle launches.. We want to go to the one on Feb 14th.. how will I know when tickets go on sale? Will it be on the website? If they sell out in 2 minutes, I guess I need to be on the ball!!

http://kennedyspacecenter.stores.yahoo.net/stspshat.html

Click sign up for launch info and you will get an email about a week before they go on sale:

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/eventSignUp.asp

Yes, all of the causeway tickets sell out in minutes so you have to be ready and prepared. Visitors complex tickets (cannot see the pad itself from there) tend to remain on sale almost all the way to launch.

melissac
12-02-2007, 06:52 PM
We were at WDW Dec 9th, 2006 and were taking a illumination cruise that night. The boat driver met us early and took us out so we could see the launch before the fireworks. It was really neat. I'm sure it would be better closer up but it was cool to see. We will be there again for this launch. We will hopefully be able to see something. Not like a night launch though. The whole horizon lights up. It was amazing.

Whosemom
12-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Wow, things have changed. We were there in :confused3 99? (by the looks of my kid in the pics). We had free tickets to get to a certain spot on KSC. Then it kept raining out. We drove from WDW 3 or 4 times to try to see it. I do NOT remember traffic being a big deal even the first time (but we were very excited, so I could just have dimissed that part). Anyway, the final and succesful time, there was a lot out on the causeway that paying folks could go to, but they let in the free tickets too. It was excellent!

Universal-Excitement
12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
You are in luck, I live litterally right off NASA property so I get a really great view right from my yard...

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs11/300W/i/2006/225/7/4/Discovery__s_Recent_Liftoff_by_nwo.jpg

Any place off US1 in Titusville on the Indian River is idea... you'd have to leave REALLY EARLY in the morning to get a good spot... on launch days if I don't have to go out, I don't because it's insane. I remember back in 2006 for the debut of Universal 360 on July 1st the shuttle was suppose to go off, but it got scrubbed... and the show didn't start until 8:45 I believe it was... so I decided to leave at 6pm... the launch was scrubbed at like 11am... and I got about 20 miles and 528 was PACKED... I figured no one would take 50 because of the lights so I went to 50... I got to Christmas and it was PACKED... so I couldn't go that day... since the 2nd was scrubbed for weather later that day I was able to go into Orlando to see Universal 360...

However that story is a reminder how bad traffic will be for anyone coming in and going out to a launch... and if that many people are coming in... then spots get taken FAST! There is a park at the end of my street and people actually bring tents out there and sleep there over night just to watch a launch... I am use to the launches, I've seen hundreds of them so I guess I don't know how important it is to actually travel to see one... but people really do go all out to get good spots...

But on US1 in Titusville across from the Walgreens there is a great viewing spot, there is also a little fishing pier you could go down so you are litterally on the water for pictures of the launch. People go to Jetty Park (Which is a beach at Port Canaveral) but I never like the launches from there, you are closer off the Indian River... Another good place would be Sand Point Park off US1 and 402... but PARKING IS REALLY LIMITED... there are only like 20 parking spots on that strip off the highway... but it's the CLOSEST you'll get to to seeing it for free... you could go to NASA and buy a launch ticket and they'll take you out on to East NASA Causeway and you'll have a better view.. you'll only be like mile closer there then you would be if you seen it from Sand Point Park and you wouldn't be out the $80 or more dollars NASA charges...

Hopefully that helped.

Mike

BPCooper
12-03-2007, 05:53 AM
The tickets get you much closer. Titusville, even at Spaceview and Sandpoint parks, is 12 miles from 39A while the causeway is 6.5 to 7.5 miles and the visitors complex is 7.4.

BPCooper
12-03-2007, 06:50 AM
The official Launch Weather Forecast for Thursday is calling for good conditions with just a 20% of violation and partly cloudy skies.

Ladybug514
12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
While this may not help the op, if you are interested in going to actually see a shutter launch, one person that may be able to help you is your US Senator. I worked in a Senate office for a summer and one of our biggests request were launch tickets. You have to plan way in advance and be flexible but many people are not aware of this service! Representatives might also have this, I'm not sure, but def. call your Senator's Office!

ExBellhop
12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I've seen 3 launches in my life, from 3 very different vantage points.

1) My first time was at Jetty Park. We spent a whole morning out there, only to have the launch scrubbed. Then we came back the next day and had success. You can really *feel* the launch from here, as well as hearing the thunder from the boosters. Its a good alternative (I think) to being right there.

2) I was working Fantasmic! during a night launch. I still get chills down my spine as I remember the glow erupting from behind the F! Mountain, and then 8500+ people break out into cheers and applause as the rocket goes up, from right behind the Mountain. Awesome.

3) Probably the most underrated, but still a viable spot... I happened to be picking my wife (then girlfriend) up from the Orlando Airport. I purposely parked on the very top of the garage so that she'd get to see it go off after she landed. Not the best view, but it works if you're looking for somewhere to go...

Thanks for reading : )
ExBellhop

Calliaz
12-03-2007, 08:37 PM
We went to a launch in May of 2000. It was really great to be close, although we didn't have tickets. I think the mission had been scrubbed a few times and was supposed to have left before we got to Orlando. Once we found out we could go, we rented a car and just drove to the coast. Our trip was last minute and without much information so we ended up at some random place. It was still cool.

I recently found this website (http://spacelaunchinfo.com/faq.html)with information on how to get good viewing spots in the area.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/calliaz/P5190201.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/calliaz/P5190207.jpg

zulemara
12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
well I know if you're at Port Canaveral on the Disney Cruise you have a nice view of the building where they repair the shuttle. I believe the Launch pad is like 6 miles from the building so it'd be a pretty good show. There you have it, an excuse to book a Disney cruise AND see the shuttle launch :rotfl: You just have to be at port on launch day.

edit: I was hoping the launch would be scrubbed till the last week in December so I could see it on my trip. That looks doubtful and I know they have other missions going up, so I'll just have to hope I get to see one after Jan 09 since that's the next time I'll be down there

enyaj40
12-04-2007, 05:26 AM
when we were entering the world from an offsite hotel in '88, we saw all these cars lined up along the road

i was thinking, 'what's up here?'

looked straight ahead and saw a shuttle launch

even from that distance, i thought it was stunningly beautiful

maybe because i was remembering the tragedy in early '86

i also saw a launch during an imax movie, and believe you me, i felt like i was right next to the thing

raven69david
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Not sure if it's been posted since i've read none of the responses, but shuttle launches are known to be delayed quite often. Lets hope for everyone that's made plans around this launch that it goes as planned. I'm hoping it'll be delayed until Saturday after i arrive.;)

Eclpz314
12-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Not sure if it's been posted since i've read none of the responses, but shuttle launches are known to be delayed quite often. Lets hope for everyone that's made plans around this launch that it goes as planned. I'm hoping it'll be delayed until Saturday after i arrive.;) That makes two of us......three if you count dh. Last year it took off while we were still at the airport waiting to fly to Miami. We've toured the space center and would love to see a launch one time. We arrive on the 8th.

carlyle688
12-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Space Shuttle launch is scrubbed for today. They are going to try again tomorrow.

raven69david
12-06-2007, 10:41 AM
shuttle launches are known to be delayed quite often

See what i mean.

BPCooper
12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
See what i mean.

This was the fourth shuttle launch of the year. All three shuttle launches this year, STS-117 118 and 120, lifted off on time on the very first try.

Earlier this year, a study was done by the AP and found that the shuttle launches on the first try just over 40% of the time.

raven69david
12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
This was the fourth shuttle launch of the year. All three shuttle launches this year, STS-117 118 and 120, lifted off on time on the very first try.

Earlier this year, a study was done by the AP and found that the shuttle launches on the first try just over 40% of the time.

Sorry, but you're incorrect. There are many posts on here (if the search worked as intended you could find the articles) with alot of disappointed people who have missed launches due to delays.

STS-117 was delayed due to being damaged from a hail storm. Launch date was scheduled for March 15th; launched on June 8th.

STS-118 was delayed 1 day to repair a valve in the shuttle's crew cabin pressurization system. Original day was august 7, actual launch was august 8, 2007.

STS-120 was originally scheduled to launch on October 20, but due to the International Space Station program requirement, launch was delayed to October 23, 2007.

All of the launches in 2007 were moved back due to problems with external fuel tanks. They hadn't received modified fuel tanks in time to complete prelaunch work on the shuttle fleet.

The "if the AP said it, it must be true" mentality has got to stop.

Eclpz314
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Space Shuttle launch is scrubbed for today. They are going to try again tomorrow.
I think they should hold off until Saturday........say, after 10:45am or so. :rolleyes1 :upsidedow

BPCooper
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
The launch is now set for Saturday at 3:43pm EST. A decision as to whether to proceed with this will be made Friday afternoon at the mission management team meeting and that will follow with a press conference around 5pm or later.

The statistics I posted are based on first launch attempts, not dates planned in advance. Your facts are also correct above though. STS-117 was the first time the shuttle launched on the first try since Columbia five years ago. STS-120 was then the first launch to lift off on the date set at what is known as the flight readiness review (FRR) held about two weeks before launch (Oct. 20 was changed a couple of months before hand; this delay was a given as the Russian Soyuz flight was slated for Oct. 10-21 and cannot overlap).

Planning for a launch requres careful skil and willingness to change if the date changes in advance :-) but once a date is set at the FRR you have a more decent shot.

raven69david
12-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I have no "mentality" as you describe. I'm not sure just some fan reading AP stories lol.

Sorry Ben. That wasn't directed at you at all. I stated it because alot of news events in the past few months have had alot of "facts" quoted from AP articles and have been presented as fact, when in fact they were only speculation. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, but i can guarantee that it was no personal attack in the least.

disneyfan19712006
12-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Sorry Ben. That wasn't directed at you at all. I stated it because alot of news events in the past few months have had alot of "facts" quoted from AP articles and have been presented as fact, when in fact they were only speculation. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, but i can guarantee that it was no personal attack in the least.

If we are at MGM which way should we look? I wish it was on Sunday while we are on the Wonder. We will not have a car but even a glimpse would be nice. I just need to know which way to look.

BPCooper
12-07-2007, 06:32 PM
The launch is now being targeted for Sunday. T-0 would be 3:21:00pm EST.

BPCooper
12-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Atlantis is officially go for a launch attempt on Sunday at 3:21:00pm EST.

The test of the fuel sensors comes around 6:41am as fueling begins, so whether they are working or not will be known early. Keep an eye out on news sites such as:

www.SpaceflightNow.com

...for updates to see if all is go or no-go early before you leave.

BPCooper
12-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Unfortunately STS-122 is off till after New Years after the problem repeated this morning.

As far as the shuttle not going on time goes: this is about as bad as it gets. I'm sorry for those who had tickets and will miss out.

The launch will now be a nighttime launch in early January. The earliest date is Jan. 2 which would have a T-0 time of about 5:41am. But it may be later into the month than that and as such have an earlier time (23-25 mins earlier time per day). No actual date has been examined and a solution for the problem still has to be found. Stay tuned.

CrzyGmer789X2
12-09-2007, 01:47 PM
We saw the Shuttle Launch on Oct. 23, from the boat dock behind the Contemporary.

Outside the CR by the pool, dock, anywhere is great. I saw the one on 4th of July last year, and it was phenominal! I'm assuming Poly and GF beaches would be great too, but I've only seen from CR.

BPCooper
12-13-2007, 03:59 PM
NASA has announced today they are targeting January 10 for STS-122. Launch time would be 2:26am EST that day.

A tanking test (fueling the shuttle as a test) will be made this Tuesday the 18th and they hope to pinpoint the ECO sensor problem and have it fixed.

The new date of Jan. 10 will allow the workers across the program to have more holiday time.

goofy4tink
12-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Maybe they'll postpone until I get there on the 12th!!! I was there when they postponed it this month, so hoping for a chance to see it in Jan.

disneynewman
12-19-2007, 12:14 PM
I just found out there is a launch scheduled for April 24th when we will be there. Now I have to decide if we should miss a day at the park to see a shuttle launch (if it actually takes off as planned):confused3
My kids are too little to really appreciated it but my dad would love to see it. Have any of you ever driven over to see a launch?

loriandmatt
12-19-2007, 12:52 PM
we tried to catch a launch in fall 2006, but that launch got scrubbed. we finally did catch a launch this past august. some info that might be helpful:

- jetty park is kind of hard to find, the a nice place and the closest you can get to a launch without acually paying to get on NASA property. (from what have been told by several locals) you have to pay, per car to get onto the jetty park propery, but it is not much at all and well worth it.

- it takes about 45 min with trafic to get to jetty park from WDW if you leave orlando at least 4 hours before the launch time. do what we did, leave very early and make it your day.

- jetty park is acually at the very top tip of coco beach. from the parking lot at jetty park you can easily walk to the beach. (park up against the waters edge if you can - we saw manatees and turtles in the wild swiming in the jetty while waiting for the launch.)

- pack a cooler with food and drinks. there isn't much of anyplace for food or beach items or anything else there at the park. you will love having this cooler with you later (see next point)

- even though this trip only takes 45 min on the way to the launch, after the launch trafic will be backed up for hours and hours afterwards. even if you avoid the rush right after the launch, it is still going to take you a very long time to get back to orlando. (our launch took off at i think 6 or 7 pm. we hung out at the beach a while longer, packed up, found a dinner to eat, made a stop at a wal-mart and then 2-3 hours after the launch headed for orlando....it was still backed up. it took us a few hours to get back. make sure you have a full tank of gas, wipes in the car incase you need to go potty along the side of the road -saw lots of people doing so-and drinks and snacks if your kids will need them.

- note that the very little town where jetty park is located practically everything shuts down in that town during the launch. get what you need well before the launch.

- once you pay to get onto jetty park, you can leave, but they can't guarante you will be able to get back in. they may fill up before you return. if you can get in when you return, i believe you may have to pay again to get back on the property.

- one of the radio stations (sorry can't remember what one) plays the NASA count down and you can hear "ground control" giving info and other very cool info. be sure to find that out when you get there from someone and tune in. very cool. you will see the burn about 4 seconds after they get to 0. they will continue to give you cool info (like how many miles up they are by now and stuff like that). the entire thing only takes like a min and a half until you can't see or hear the shuttle anymore, but it is very very cool.

with all of that negative stuff you may be thinking it is a bad idea. not so. it was fantastic. i am so glad we did it. even my 2yo daughter was excited for it. it was a once in a lifetime thing for us and we don't regret it.

daannzzz
12-19-2007, 01:32 PM
One year when I was there the shuttle was shedule for a trip. I was told not to put too much time into it unless I had lots of time in central Florida. They said that you could drive over to Titusville and set up and the launch would be scrubbed. I opted to set my alarm and watch it from CSR where i was staying. What do you know, it was delayed two times. Finally got to see it on the third morning. I would definately make time to view it from somewhere in an area that you happen to be visiting that day. I was surprised at how few people got up to see the launch. It was 5:45 or so in the morning but how many times do you gewt that chance.

disneynewman
12-19-2007, 01:53 PM
we tried to catch a launch in fall 2006, but that launch got scrubbed. we finally did catch a launch this past august. some info that might be helpful:

- jetty park is kind of hard to find, the a nice place and the closest you can get to a launch without acually paying to get on NASA property. (from what have been told by several locals) you have to pay, per car to get onto the jetty park propery, but it is not much at all and well worth it.

- it takes about 45 min with trafic to get to jetty park from WDW if you leave orlando at least 4 hours before the launch time. do what we did, leave very early and make it your day.

- jetty park is acually at the very top tip of coco beach. from the parking lot at jetty park you can easily walk to the beach. (park up against the waters edge if you can - we saw manatees and turtles in the wild swiming in the jetty while waiting for the launch.)

- pack a cooler with food and drinks. there isn't much of anyplace for food or beach items or anything else there at the park. you will love having this cooler with you later (see next point)

- even though this trip only takes 45 min on the way to the launch, after the launch trafic will be backed up for hours and hours afterwards. even if you avoid the rush right after the launch, it is still going to take you a very long time to get back to orlando. (our launch took off at i think 6 or 7 pm. we hung out at the beach a while longer, packed up, found a dinner to eat, made a stop at a wal-mart and then 2-3 hours after the launch headed for orlando....it was still backed up. it took us a few hours to get back. make sure you have a full tank of gas, wipes in the car incase you need to go potty along the side of the road -saw lots of people doing so-and drinks and snacks if your kids will need them.

- note that the very little town where jetty park is located practically everything shuts down in that town during the launch. get what you need well before the launch.

- once you pay to get onto jetty park, you can leave, but they can't guarante you will be able to get back in. they may fill up before you return. if you can get in when you return, i believe you may have to pay again to get back on the property.

- one of the radio stations (sorry can't remember what one) plays the NASA count down and you can hear "ground control" giving info and other very cool info. be sure to find that out when you get there from someone and tune in. very cool. you will see the burn about 4 seconds after they get to 0. they will continue to give you cool info (like how many miles up they are by now and stuff like that). the entire thing only takes like a min and a half until you can't see or hear the shuttle anymore, but it is very very cool.

with all of that negative stuff you may be thinking it is a bad idea. not so. it was fantastic. i am so glad we did it. even my 2yo daughter was excited for it. it was a once in a lifetime thing for us and we don't regret it.

Thanks for this info, I definatly don't want to buy tickets because you never know, they could cancel at the last minute. This launch is 'scheduled' for 8:30am so by what your saying about getting back we really would miss at least 3/4 of a park day but but like you said, this could be once in a lifetime.
Decision, decisions.......

disneynewman
12-19-2007, 01:54 PM
One year when I was there the shuttle was shedule for a trip. I was told not to put too much time into it unless I had lots of time in central Florida. They said that you could drive over to Titusville and set up and the launch would be scrubbed. I opted to set my alarm and watch it from CSR where i was staying. What do you know, it was delayed two times. Finally got to see it on the third morning. I would definately make time to view it from somewhere in an area that you happen to be visiting that day. I was surprised at how few people got up to see the launch. It was 5:45 or so in the morning but how many times do you gewt that chance.

yes at the bare minimum I would get everyone to a good spot on Disney property and watch from there. I did once see a shuttle take off at night from Ft. Laderdale and even that was cool from 3.5 hours away:banana:

Tinks1984
12-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Oh if you get chance (and can spare the time!) then this is a wonderful thing to watch, I'll never forget it!

And guess what...I'll be there April 24th, so I MAY have to see if this is a possibility to watch again! :thumbsup2

Awsome experience!!

JSweetman
12-20-2007, 07:44 AM
During our honeymoon in April 1990, there was a shuttle launch (actually, it was the one where they brought up the Hubble telescope). We didn't try to get over to the coast, but I do remember seeing the contrails grow as it went up while we were in MK.

DizznyChick
12-20-2007, 09:07 AM
im planning on being there at that time as well! any suggestions on where to get a view of it from disney property? we wont have a car

CanadianGuy
12-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Tons of great info in this Shuttle Launch sticky at the very top of this forum!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1647123

DizznyChick
12-20-2007, 09:58 AM
oh, ok great-thanks !!

Endeavour105
12-20-2007, 10:04 AM
im planning on being there at that time as well! any suggestions on where to get a view of it from disney property? we wont have a car

Be advised that shuttle launch schedules are subject to change.

Also, viewing a shuttle launch from WDW can be very very iffy depending on the cloud cover between WDW and the Cape which is about 50 miles away. You may only get a fleeting glimpse if there are clouds.

Mouseaholic!!!
12-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Don't forget the December Launch was scrubbed for a fuel sensor which has not been resolved. This delay could easily change the schedule for the April Launch.

Having said that....I have been fortunate enough to see four shuttle launches and it doesn't matter how FABULOUS WDW is.......the shuttle program is funded thorugh 2009 -- if you get a chance to see it....you will NEVER forget it.

Rent a car - drive to Titusville, follow the crowds and find a spot alongside the road. Take binoculars, bug spray and a radio and get ready....it's a wonderful show.

Watch a couple of launches on You Tube and get yourself ready.

If you are near Washington DC, stop in the new Smithsonian Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport - Endeavor is there...you can stand under her!

By chance we will be there in April and with press passes, we will be in the bleachers at the Space Center - oh BOY am I hoping a shuttle launches during our stay!!!!!!

punkin413
12-20-2007, 11:37 AM
just subbing. i've heard rumours of a shuttle launch on april 24th but i know how those things can change at any point. we are leaving on april 26th to go to WDW but if there's really going to be a shuttle launch on the 24th we may just have to leave early and go to cape canaveral for a couple of days beforehand!

Endeavour105
12-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Don't forget the December Launch was scrubbed for a fuel sensor which has not been resolved. This delay could easily change the schedule for the April Launch.

Having said that....I have been fortunate enough to see four shuttle launches and it doesn't matter how FABULOUS WDW is.......the shuttle program is funded thorugh 2009 -- if you get a chance to see it....you will NEVER forget it.

Rent a car - drive to Titusville, follow the crowds and find a spot alongside the road. Take binoculars, bug spray and a radio and get ready....it's a wonderful show.

Watch a couple of launches on You Tube and get yourself ready.

If you are near Washington DC, stop in the new Smithsonian Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport - Endeavor is there...you can stand under her!

By chance we will be there in April and with press passes, we will be in the bleachers at the Space Center - oh BOY am I hoping a shuttle launches during our stay!!!!!!

ENDEAVOUR is NOT at Dulles and is still active in the shuttle program and based at the KSC...the orbiter vehicle you are referring to is ENTERPRISE - used for glide testing and not designed/built for space flight.

LilGMom
12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
If you don't want to give up a day in the parks a good close second is to be in EPCOT and watch it in the sky directly behind Mission Space. We were in WDW for the October watch and while it has always been a dream of mine to see a launch in person there was no way I was going to try to keep my 6 & 2 yr. old occupied for the entire day or deal with being stuck in traffic on the way back to WDW. Not to mention I would have hated to give up the day, get over KSC only to have the launch not happen.

I made sure that we were in the Mission Space area for the launch and I will say that it was by far the highlight of my trip. It was almost surreal seeing what we could of the launch and being the sap that I am I actually teared up. My DH isn't that into the space program, my six year old doesn't fully grasp the importance or awesomeness (ok, that isn't a real word but it works here) and my 2 yr. old was just wanting a Mickey bar.

So if you decide not to go either make sure to be near MS at that time or find a good spot on the east side of WDW to catch a glimpse of it.

Mouseaholic!!!
12-20-2007, 12:35 PM
ENDEAVOUR is NOT at Dulles and is still active in the shuttle program and based at the KSC...the orbiter vehicle you are referring to is ENTERPRISE - used for glide testing and not designed/built for space flight.

parden me

point being......it's worth a trip there to see it

Mouseaholic!!!
12-20-2007, 12:37 PM
If you don't want to give up a day in the parks a good close second is to be in EPCOT and watch it in the sky directly behind Mission Space. We were in WDW for the October watch and while it has always been a dream of mine to see a launch in person there was no way I was going to try to keep my 6 & 2 yr. old occupied for the entire day or deal with being stuck in traffic on the way back to WDW. Not to mention I would have hated to give up the day, get over KSC only to have the launch not happen.

I made sure that we were in the Mission Space area for the launch and I will say that it was by far the highlight of my trip. It was almost surreal seeing what we could of the launch and being the sap that I am I actually teared up. My DH isn't that into the space program, my six year old doesn't fully grasp the importance or awesomeness (ok, that isn't a real word but it works here) and my 2 yr. old was just wanting a Mickey bar.

So if you decide not to go either make sure to be near MS at that time or find a good spot on the east side of WDW to catch a glimpse of it.

Co workers left here with the same comment about entertaining their - high intensity 7 year old daughter.

They saw the launch up close (NOTHING can compare) and then hopped over to the beach to play in the surf for an hour or so until the traffic cleared....and were back at EPCOT for dinner.

WDW vs a shuttle launch......sorry folks - as much as I ADORE everything at WDW -- no comparison.

jimmymac
12-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Another vote for taking the day to see a shuttle launch. Seeing it from WDW just doesn't compare. There are few things in the world as visceral as watching a shuttle launch. I've covered several and I'll never forget the feeling - your whole chest compresses from the shock. It's kind of like seeiing the Sistine Ceiling or the Grand Canal in Venice for the first time. It is soooo worth it. Nothing at WDW (or US, Seaworld or Busch gardens) evens comes close. The shuttles won't be around much longer - it's like living a bit of history, so grab it while you can

jimmymac
12-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Another vote for taking the day to see a shuttle launch. Seeing it from WDW just doesn't compare. There are few things in the world as visceral as watching a shuttle launch. I've covered several and I'll never forget the feeling - your whole chest compresses from the shock. It's kind of like seeing the Sistine Ceiling or the Grand Canal in Venice for the first time. It is soooo worth it. Nothing at WDW (or US, Seaworld or Busch gardens) evens comes close. The shuttles won't be around much longer - it's like living a bit of history, so grab it while you can

LilGMom
12-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Another vote for taking the day to see a shuttle launch. Seeing it from WDW just doesn't compare. There are few things in the world as visceral as watching a shuttle launch. I've covered several and I'll never forget the feeling - your whole chest compresses from the shock. It's kind of like seeiing the Sistine Ceiling or the Grand Canal in Venice for the first time. It is soooo worth it. Nothing at WDW (or US, Seaworld or Busch gardens) evens comes close. The shuttles won't be around much longer - it's like living a bit of history, so grab it while you can

I will make it to a launch and get as close as I can soon. But my kids will have to be a little older before I can ditch them and DH at WDW so that I can go see a launch or before I can take them to a launch and not want to stick them on the shuttle because they get too antsy (just kidding of course - I wouldn't do that to the astronauts :rolleyes1 ). I can only imagine (for now) how incredible it must be to see one up close. I get choked up watching them on the NASA channel in HD and got choked up while watching it go up over MS. Truely amazing. :goodvibes

mommykds
12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
We will be disembarking from our cruise that very day. Can we watch from port canaveral where the ship docks?

CanadianGuy
12-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm merging this with the main shuttle thread.

Thanks,

Knox

punkin413
12-20-2007, 07:03 PM
I will make it to a launch and get as close as I can soon. But my kids will have to be a little older before I can ditch them and DH at WDW so that I can go see a launch or before I can take them to a launch and not want to stick them on the shuttle because they get too antsy (just kidding of course - I wouldn't do that to the astronauts :rolleyes1 ). I can only imagine (for now) how incredible it must be to see one up close. I get choked up watching them on the NASA channel in HD and got choked up while watching it go up over MS. Truely amazing. :goodvibes

you may already know this, but the shuttle program is ending in 2010. so after that there will be no other chance. just wanted to let you know in case you already didn't that your chances are getting fewer and fewer!

Mouseaholic!!!
12-21-2007, 07:03 AM
We will be disembarking from our cruise that very day. Can we watch from port canaveral where the ship docks?

The launch platforms are very close to the ship piers. I watched John Glen's shuttle launch from the top deck. WAY cool.

There are only a couple of shuttle launches scheduled for 2008.....everyone is right....we are running out of chances to see a shuttle launch. Don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity. Too way cool!

Your children will return to school with a story that will impress their friends and teachers and a memory to last a lifetime.

YellowXterra
12-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Worth the drive, We watch from Coco Beach in a Wal Mart parking lot. Could see it just as it started its 'Roll" We were 17 miles form the pad.

Endeavour105
01-01-2008, 08:29 AM
See the following for the launch schedules for the Space Shuttle and Rocket Missions:

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

G@briel
01-05-2008, 03:43 PM
From Central Florida News
http://www.cfnews13.com/Space/DestinationSpace/2008/1/3/launch_targeted_for_february.html

Thursday, January 03, 2008 6:12:48 PM

NASA said it will likely be February before the space shuttle Atlantis gets off the ground.

Mission managers spent hours Thursday going over their options to fix a problem with a connector in the fuel tank.

Workers removed the broken part and shipped it back to Alabama to be studied. NASA said it needs to be fixed before a launch attempt is made.

Mission managers said a liftoff is still possible in late January, but only if everything goes exactly right.

Instead, they said it will likely be Feb. 2 or Feb. 7 before they will attempt a liftoff.

Atlantis is set to bring a new module to the International Space Station when it lifts off.

laxcdn
01-09-2008, 08:22 AM
NEXT SPACE SHUTTLE LAUNCH
Launch Window - No earlier than January 24, 2008
Target Launch Time - 8:23p.m.
Ticket orders cannot be placed via email or by leaving a voicemail. You must order online or by speaking with an agent (321-449-4400).

http://kennedyspacecenter.stores.yahoo.net/stspshen.html

We were hoping just to see a rocket launch, but that was postponed and now the shuttle is suppose to launch. I think we will try and do most of a day at one of the parks then drive around dinner time to see how close we can get and see it. When does it get dark in Orlando now?

BPCooper
01-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I have been away for several weeks but I just went through the latest replies and want to add:

1) Jetty Park is NOT the place to see the shuttle nor is it the closest free place to go. You want to go to Titusville in the event you cannot or do not want the tickets you can buy to get closer. Titusville is the closest place with free viewing. It offers a crystal clear view across the water at 12 miles from the pad.

2) The NASA.gov website only lists NASA launches. Most of the unmanned rocket launches are commercial and air force launches. A complete schedule can be found here:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

In addition, kennedyspacecenter.com is neither a NASA website nor a news website and its launch schedule is merely taken from other sites. It is not updated often enough and is not reliable. You will notice today it lists no launches in February or March which is incorrect.

Michellynn
01-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Link to the latest info mentioned in Gabriel's post.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/080103-sts122-sensorfix-update.html

ShelsGoingToDisney
01-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Okay I have checked out all these sites and I am seeing such conflicting info on a launch time. I am seeing 1/24 @8 something at night and 2/7 @ 2 something. Which is the correct one? :confused3

We will be there on 1/24 so if it is still scheduled for that we are going to try and catch it.

BPCooper
01-10-2008, 08:34 PM
The launch was Jan. 24 until this afternoon (an overly hopeful day based on the repair plan for these sensors). They are now targeting February 7th. Feb. 7 is an afternoon launch of 2:47pm EST. Jan. 24 would have been in the evening.

imprimouse
01-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Endeavor was originally scheduled for a Feb. 14th launch. I wonder if the 14th is still a viable launch date if they can't go on the 7th.

BPCooper
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Endeavor was originally scheduled for a Feb. 14th launch. I wonder if the 14th is still a viable launch date if they can't go on the 7th.

Endeavour on STS-123 will not launch before March 11-13 or so. Mid-March dates would be a night launch of 12-3am timeframe.

imprimouse
01-10-2008, 09:08 PM
right, what I meant to ask was if the 14th might be a backup date for Atlantis.
sorry

BPCooper
01-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Oh; the launch can happen on virtually any day (there are no specific days, per say, that they have to launch on. No "slots").

There are, however, days or blocks of days when other events may be occurring that they cannot launch on. For example, another rocket launch scheduled from the Cape. Or, for example, a Russian ISS mission scheduled to launch would interfere. Just such an example is occurring soon: A Russian Progress resupply ship is slated for launch to the space station on Feb. 5th, and flight rules dictate that if the shuttle couldn't go by, say, Jan. 24 (or a few days after) that it would need to slip to Feb. 7 or beyond; the reason is that Progress cannot dock to the station while the shuttle is there.

Beyond Feb. 7th, all of February should be open for launch.

imprimouse
01-10-2008, 09:30 PM
ok, I wasn't aware that they could launch any day.
thanks for the info.

we scheduled this trip with the launch on the 14th so
I still have my fingers crossed :)

micki7337
01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Can you see the launch from WDW........

Michellynn
01-11-2008, 07:41 AM

Yes, see some of the posts earlier in this thread about where people watched the launch from in WDW.

We will be there the first week of February....so if they hit the 2/7 launch date that would be nice for us. We wouldn't even consider leaving the park to try and view it from a closer location. BUT, if we knew it was going to be happening, we would certainly stop to see if we could see it from WDW at the designated time.

Lancer
01-11-2008, 11:44 PM
I have a Visitors center viewing Ticket for the tentative Feb 7th launch. I would pay to get that extra mile to the NASA Causeway, does anyone out there have a LTT that they cant use because of the date?

Also, disregarding cost and traffic, and knowing that you cant see the pad, is the visitors center still better than any public site outside KSC?

Thanks,
Lancer

Endeavour105
01-14-2008, 09:08 AM

The ability to see a shuttle launch from WDW is solely dependent on the cloud cover between WDW and the Cape which is some 50+- miles away.

Very often, you'll only be able to get a fleeting glimpse at best due to clouds.

You're far better off taking the time to go over to Titusville to view the launch.

southtexasmom
01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
We saw the shuttle from Saratoga Springs in August, we were in the pool and the lifeguard pointed it out to us. It was amazing.

sorcerermick
01-18-2008, 07:29 AM
I have read how crowded the center is on launch days, but are the crowds just as bad when the launch is for an orbital weather satellite? We were planning on going on a day when the satellite is "scheduled" to launch. Just wondering?

TIA

grumpytx
01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Need to take the opportunity to "Thank" BPCooper for the information provided via his links. We referenced his info and viewed the Endeavor launch in August 2007 from Spaceview Park in Titusville. As stated you can see the launch and believe me you will hear and feel the liftoff, that's the good part. Now for the traffic. It wasn't too bad getting from WDW to Titusville, took less than two hours to get there. Left WDW at about 2:00 pm to go, launch was to be at approximately 6:30 pm. However the return trip was something else. Left about 6:45-6:50 pm and pulled back into WDW at about 10:45 pm, bumper to bumper traffic the whole way back to Orlando.

CDNmouse
01-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Last June I took my son to Florida to see Space Shuttle Atlantis lift off.

We got a great view of the lift off from Space View Park in Titusville.

Here are a few photos of the lift off:
http://www.killops.com/?p=210

Gary

ysuindy
01-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I have read how crowded the center is on launch days, but are the crowds just as bad when the launch is for an orbital weather satellite? We were planning on going on a day when the satellite is "scheduled" to launch. Just wondering?

TIA

We saw the launch of a Delta rocket last February over President's Day weekend. We went to watch at Jetty Park. We arrived about 30 minutes before the launch. there was a crowd, but nothinig unmanagable. Maybe a 1,000 people or so on the pier and the beach. We were staying in Cocoa Beach and had no trouble getting back to our hotel.

We are going to be in Florida over Easter weekend and hope to see an Atlas rocket launch on Good Friday (I think the launch window is 545 - 630 pm)

BPCooper
01-22-2008, 08:39 PM

TIA

No, the unmanned rocket launches do not get the crowds that the shuttle gets. But in the best spots to view them, those spots can be filled to capacity because they are much smaller viewing areas (the best places to view the rocket launches, in otherwords, just happen to be smaller overall areas than the good ones for the shuttle).

What launch are you looking at attending?

The current upcoming launches (dates as of today):

Disneys Billpayer
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
If you really want a better view without going all the way to Kennedy. Try going to Daytona. You will be close enough to get a great view. I live close to there and see it quite well.

Lancer
01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Ben,

Thanks for sharing the launch viewing guidelines and photograhy with us. The info was priceless considering each viewing is a one shot deal and I want to make the most of it. I am attending the Feb 7th launch. Couldnt scrounge up LTT so I bought visitor center tickets, but after seeing your pics I am scrapping those and am heading for titusville. I want to get a feel for what my camera lens will do from say space park and would like to know if you could share your camera lens and setting info for your titusville pics. I may not have time to experiment before launch. The longest lens I have is a Canon 70-300 IS and several in between down to a 10-22 shooting with a Canon 20D. Of course any other advice would be helpful and most appreciated.

Thanks!

BPCooper
01-23-2008, 07:59 AM
I am glad to help and more glad to know I am helping ;-) These two shots I have linked to from Titusville on the page are both 300mm on digital:

This one (http://www.flickr.com/photos/capetrips/543318088/in/set-72157600346805528) and this one (http://www.flickr.com/photos/capetrips/543417397/in/set-72157600346805528).

Blessedx3
01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone

We are crossing our fingers to see the launch on the 7th. Can someone tell me what to expect. We do have launch tickets from when it was scrubbed in Dec. Do I need to buy more tickets? Is 3 hours about how long it will take to get back to WDW that evening after the launch? Just curious we are very excited to go since we were so disappointed when it was scrubbed in Dec. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Wit
01-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Titusville is always a great place to watch the launch. On a clear day you can see the launchpad. Its never really that crowded....ans easy to take 50 from Orlando, where 50 ends US1 begins. A quick left brings you to a park you can see the shuttle form right over the Indian River.

BPCooper
01-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone

We are crossing our fingers to see the launch on the 7th. Can someone tell me what to expect. We do have launch tickets from when it was scrubbed in Dec. Do I need to buy more tickets? Is 3 hours about how long it will take to get back to WDW that evening after the launch? Just curious we are very excited to go since we were so disappointed when it was scrubbed in Dec. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA

If the tickets have not been used yet, you would be able to use them. Are these LTT tickets for the causeway, or just for viewing from the visitors complex? If the first, then you don't officially use them until you get on the bus for the causeway. If it's the VC tickets then once you enter they are probably used, but I would call and check.

After the launch, yes, three hours is a good estimate for the trip back most of the time. If you don't want to sit in traffic, then don't leave right after the launch; isntead wait an hour or two at the VC touring around before heading home.

Launch remains targeted for Feb. 7 at 2:45pm EDT that day. NASA will hold a press conference Jan. 31 to firm this up; the countdown would begin Feb. 4. NASA has also announced that STS-123's new date is March 11, with that night launch being 2:31am if that day.

Blessedx3
01-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Thank you very much BPCooper. We did only have the viewing from the field?? Not the causeway. I did call and my tickets are still good I didn't even ever think that they may not be. Glad you mentioned to call. That would have been a disappointment. I think we will hang out for awhile to try and avoid some of the traffic. Is everything open at teh complex afterwards? Thanks again. :upsidedow :upsidedow

BPCooper
01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Since it is a day launch things should be open till closing time (another thing to ask about). They may even start running tours again, I'm not sure.

WaltD4Me
01-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Ok, I'm sorry, but could someone give me a quick fill in for viewing the launch on Feb. 7th?

We are taking an unexpected trip to Orlando Feb. 3rd-8th, we were planning on going to Kennedy Space Center one day anyway and now that I see there is a launch scheduled, we will go on the 7th.

Do the tickets sell out?

Do we need special tickets for the lauch?

If so and they are sold out, can we still go to Kennedy, tour it and view the launch from there (even if not in a special area for ticket holders or whatever)

MANY years ago (like 25) I saw a rocket take off at Kennedy and it was VERY cool and something I still remember clear as bell to this day. So I want to be sure my nephew sees the launch this trip, he'll be thrilled and so will I!

BPCooper
01-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Lisa, you do not need tickets but tickets can get you closer. The closest viewing spot, the NASA causeway (6.5 to 7 miles), was sold out when it went on sale back in November. Your only hope is ebay or posting around other forums (like uplink.space.com or collectspace.com) and asking if anyone is not going now and has unused tickets.

The next closest place with a view of the pad is Titusville (free viewing) at 12 miles. That's always my recommendation because of the clear view.

If you want to be closer without seeing the pad, there is one other option and that is the KSC visitors complex (7.5 miles). They are still selling tickets for that at kennedyspacecenter.com.

Hope this helps.

WaltD4Me
01-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Lisa, you do not need tickets but tickets can get you closer. The closest viewing spot, the NASA causeway (6.5 to 7 miles), was sold out when it went on sale back in November. Your only hope is ebay or posting around other forums (like uplink.space.com or collectspace.com) and asking if anyone is not going now and has unused tickets.

The next closest place with a view of the pad is Titusville (free viewing) at 12 miles. That's always my recommendation because of the clear view.

If you want to be closer without seeing the pad, there is one other option and that is the KSC visitors complex (7.5 miles). They are still selling tickets for that at kennedyspacecenter.com.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much Ben!

I still a bit confused though....like I said it's been MANY years since I've been to Kennedy. If we are there just to tour the space center, will we be able to see the launch? Do we need seperate tickets for the tour and the launch?
Thanks again!

BPCooper
01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Tickets to tour the space center alone are not available on launch day. If you want to take the complete tour or tours, I would recommend going before launch (say Feb. 6) or else hope that it launches and then tour the next day.

On launch day you need to have launch day-only tickets; they may allow launch visitors to tour after it has lifted off. Most tour areas are closed off on launch day (the main tour sites).

zinniemouse
01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
We saw the shuttle launch last December from the California Grill Observation Deck at the Contemporary. It was lucky timing for us - the shuttle launch had been scheduled for a few days before, but kept getting cancelled due to weather conditions. Our waiter told us about it, and held our appetizers in the kitchen so we could go out to watch. It was great!:goofy:

mnmouse
01-29-2008, 01:52 AM
I've been following this thread and am still confused. Can we purchase the Launch Viewing from the Visitor Center to view the launch (where I realize you can't see the shuttle until it clears the trees) and also tour the VC exhibits (excluding the launch pads, etc)? From what I can tell, you can't purchase basic VC tour admission on launch days, but I'm wondering if you purchase the VC launch tix, if you can then tour the basic exhibits? Thanks!

BPCooper
01-29-2008, 11:02 AM
The tickets to view the launch from the visitors complex are valid for two days admission, meaning you can come back the next day and take the tours. On launch day itself, any tours that run are going to very limited and, perhaps, not even start until after the launch (which would be late afternoon). I would call and ask, because every launch is different based on the launch times.

In addition, you cannot buy a general ticket just for touring and then try to come in on launch day. You will not be granted access.

To buy tickets for the launch from the visitors complex:

http://kennedyspacecenter.stores.yahoo.net/stspshen.html

wwtate
01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Last summer my cousin who is a NASA contractor employee invited my son to the launch. He got to see it from where the employees and VIP's watch, which is pretty much as close as they let watchers get. It was a dream come true for him.

So my advice is. . . get a job with NASA or one of its contractors. lol:goodvibes

hogwartsdropout
01-31-2008, 12:52 PM
In August I was in my hotel room at POR, my parents were out at the food court. I saw on the news that it was launching in a few seconds, ran outside and stood with a couple of other guests and sure enough, I saw it! It was very clear in the sky.
My parents told me they watched it with a crowd of people on the POR bridge.

BobWerner
01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Since I've been to three launches (two day, one night) I always recommend A1A . You can see the pad and HEAR the launch from there.
I thought NASA stopped selling the causeway passes. Has that restarted?
Take the tour. It's worth every penny.

BPCooper
01-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Titusville is closer than A1A by a couple miles at A1As closest point (really 528 at the Port).

What ceased was the free distribution of car passes after 9/11. They have never stopped causeway viewing; they just made it bus only.

berben4
02-01-2008, 12:33 PM
On this anniversary of the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster I want to share a link I found with you. God bless our brave astronauts.

http www spaceshuttlememorial com

Lancer
02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I wonder if you can shed some light on this. On ebay someone from England is selling what they are calling VIP passes along with what looks like an authentic parking pass. All you can make out on the pictures in bold print is"united states space program badge" along with smaller print on the bottom. Not your usual "causeway" looking ticket. Are these similar to "congressional VIP passes" and are they linked to a specific name which will be checked with ID upon arrival? Wondering if its worth a chance!

Thanks

BPCooper
02-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I saw the ebay item in question. They are just regular tickets for the public as sold. However, the seller is in the UK so I wouldn't be risking a delivery by Wednesday anymore.

Lancer
02-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Ben,
Thanks for the info and PM's. I agree, not worth the risk. I am still going to keep an eye out for LTT but will probably settle for Titusville.

Thanks
Lancer

wwtate
02-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I wonder if you can shed some light on this. On ebay someone from England is selling what they are calling VIP passes along with what looks like an authentic parking pass. All you can make out on the pictures in bold print is"united states space program badge" along with smaller print on the bottom. Not your usual "causeway" looking ticket. Are these similar to "congressional VIP passes" and are they linked to a specific name which will be checked with ID upon arrival? Wondering if its worth a chance!

Thanks

My son went last summer on a vip pass. He received his in the mail addressed specifically to him and had to RSVP so that they would have his name on file.

D-ko
02-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I live in Altamonte Springs (about 45 mins to 1 hr from Cape Canaveral) and I can enjoy the shuttle sitting on my bed, watching it through my bedroom window!

You can see the launches from the parks (they are 30 mins SW of where I am)

The photo makes it look farther away than it really was but it's an awesome view! There's nothing like the experience of being at Cape Canaveral for the launch, but my point is, you an enjoy it from many many other places as well! You can clearly see the shuttle, as well as when it ejects the fuel tanks. It is more than just a streak in the sky (although this photo begs to differ).

http://media.imeem.com/p/GBjoYrZaAv.jpg

I am so looking forward to the launch this Thursday and taking better pics with my nifty new camera (not the one that took this photo)! I will be at work so I am bringing my full camera gear to work and taking a late lunch to enjoy this amazing show!

BPCooper
02-05-2008, 08:20 AM
The countdown is underway. Clocks began ticking at T-43 hours at 5:00pm EST Monday towards launch at 2:45:25pm EST Thursday afternoon.

The launch weather forecast is calling for a 40% chance of acceptable conditions Thursday due to a passing cold front, but increasing to sunny skies and 80% Friday and Saturday.

Follow updates here:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts122/status.html

CDN Prince Charming
02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Did anyone else score tickets today to see Endeavours launch from the causeway on March 11/08?
I picked up 2 tickets for my ds and I to go :cool1: It'll be a late one but so worth it!
Can't pass up such an opportunity to see one of the last remaining launches!

For anyone else who has seen a night launch from the causeway before - do have any suggestions for us? Time to arrive, what to bring etc.

Thanks in advance,
CDN Prince Charming

maccagerl
02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi!
We will be staying in WDW the night of the launch- I didn't know you could get tickets for the causeway? Where is the causeway?
Do you know what part of WDW would give the best vantage point for watching the shuttle after it's launched?
I would love to see this!

missybb
02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
we went to the launch of atlantis last week.

we had kennedy tickets at the visitor's center. we had to arrive by 8AM.

it was a VERY VERY VERY long day for the kids (7 and 4). there are things to do, but waiting two hours for the IMAX movie was frustrating. we didn't wait. if you are an early arrival you get a great parking spot and can get into the bus tour to the apollo center. it is cool sitting where the vip's will be sitting in a few short hours.

so just go into knowing that there are crowds and the payoff if very cool. lines for attractions, lines for food...lines...lines...lines.

during the agonizing three hour drive back to orlando you do question if it was worth it....

but once you have calmed down from the drive....you decide...YES it was worth it.....ONCE.

next time it is titusville for us.

ruttie
02-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Did anyone else score tickets today to see Endeavours launch from the causeway on March 11/08?
I picked up 2 tickets for my ds and I to go :cool1: It'll be a late one but so worth it!
Can't pass up such an opportunity to see one of the last remaining launches!

For anyone else who has seen a night launch from the causeway before - do have any suggestions for us? Time to arrive, what to bring etc.

Thanks in advance,
CDN Prince Charming

Your post is puzzleing what casueway are you talking about all the casueways around here are free... Only place you have to pay for tickets is at space center.... a lottery is held at the space center for all the workers who work out there and they get a few tickets if they win the lottery I would hope that they are not sellign them.........Plus they would not be any good unless you had the person wioth you that has a security bage????

ruttie
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
we went to the launch of atlantis last week.

we had kennedy tickets at the visitor's center. we had to arrive by 8AM.

it was a VERY VERY VERY long day for the kids (7 and 4). there are things to do, but waiting two hours for the IMAX movie was frustrating. we didn't wait. if you are an early arrival you get a great parking spot and can get into the bus tour to the apollo center. it is cool sitting where the vip's will be sitting in a few short hours.

so just go into knowing that there are crowds and the payoff if very cool. lines for attractions, lines for food...lines...lines...lines.

during the agonizing three hour drive back to orlando you do question if it was worth it....

but once you have calmed down from the drive....you decide...YES it was worth it.....ONCE.

next time it is titusville for us.

your post is too funny I know it musthave seemed like a long day and that drive was probobly aganozzing esoecially if you are like me and don't want them sleeping becasue once they sleep you know they will be up for hours... But the ride even in lots of traffic is no morw than and hour hour and a half tops....

BPCooper
02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
What the ticket are for is the NASA causeway, the closest public viewing site. It is located on property and today (since 911) the public us bused there from the visitors complex. Tickets cost $51. The other space center viewing tickets are for viewing from the visitors complex itself.

Before 911 the NASA causeway was accessible through the famous car passes NASA used to hand out to everyone (thousands per launch) and you would just drive out there. Now you must have have tickets.

Old School Pooh Fan
02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi there!
I'm so glad I found this site.
We were lucky enough to watch a shuttle launch from the ocean on the Disney Cruise Dec '06. It was a rescheduled launch and the cruise line treaded water for all of us to see it. A M A Z I N G.
We are going on another cruise this Nov. and would like to arrive for the Nov. 6th launch. Knowing the launches get rescheduled all the time, I don't want to buy tickets for any viewing because we most likely will be gone. However, I WOULD like to stay in a hotel near or in Titusville that we can watch the launch from. Does anyone know of hotels there? I would MOST appreciate it!
Thanks so much!!

ruttie
02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
thanks for the clarification Ben,
As long as they are sold from the vosotors center and bised then I knew about those,.... i was worried someone was trying a scam.. her i Merritt Island you can park before or after the bridge onthe casueways but justbefor e the laucnh all the casueway are"closed" while the shuttle is actually launched (this occried after 922 as a precaution to terriorism...have a great day...I have is a great popwerpoint from this launch.... but i don't know how to insert it if anyone wants it email me and i will send it to you my email is..... r-r-rutenberg-@-cfl.-rr.-com take out the -'s

dw1
02-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Look up!

penguins1
02-25-2008, 05:42 PM
This thread reminds me of a couple trips back when we decided we were going over to the Cape to watch the launch. There had been issues as always with the countdown but they were passed the built in hold around 2 hours somewhere so we decided to drive over. We were listening on the radio the whole time and not until we drove over one of the bridges right near Cocoa Beach did they decide to scrub the launch. :(

However, DD did get to see the ocean for the first time.

The worst part of the whole thing was that we were just going to watch it from the parks the next day... we went and sat for a quick lunch in the MK and when we walked out we heard a bunch of people talking about seeing it, etc. We totally forgot about it. I was bummed - but was still in the MK so it really wasn't soooo bad!

Promomx2
02-26-2008, 02:10 PM
FYI, I just saw on the webpage for Kennedy Space Center, that they have tickets available for the March 11th shuttle launch.

BPCooper
02-29-2008, 12:56 PM
NASA Gives "Go" for Space Shuttle Launch on March 11 (http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/news/releases/2008/release-20080229.html)

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - NASA senior managers completed a review Friday of space shuttle Endeavour's readiness for flight and selected March 11 as the official launch date for the STS-123 mission. Commander Dominic Gorie and his six crewmates are scheduled to lift off to the International Space Station at 2:28 a.m. EDT.

golden
03-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Any advice for a middle of the night launch? Can you see anything but a the fire of the rockets?
I would imagine the crowds would be significantly left. I wonder if KSC is selling tickets even as what the heck would people do between closing the the launch?

BPCooper
03-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Any advice for a middle of the night launch? Can you see anything but a the fire of the rockets?
I would imagine the crowds would be significantly left. I wonder if KSC is selling tickets even as what the heck would people do between closing the the launch?

Night launches are spectacular, lighting up the entire sky in the area. They are much brighter (http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-moose/318597203/sizes/o/in/set-72157594430444902/) than you think.

Yes, KSC is selling tickets. They do not close on launch day, and there will be several thousand people there. Viewing from the best and closest spot, the causeway, is long sold out. Viewing from the visitors complex is still available but my recommendation is Titusville because of the clear view and the water which will add to the drama of a night launch. Again, there will be many many people there. Yes, launches that are in the summer on a Friday night like a couple we had over the past two years are going to attract even more, but no launch is without crowds.

So I highly recommend going to Titusville at this point. Space View park is a nice choice.

golden
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Ben for your replies and your link.

So if we went to titusville, is this just a highway along the water that people just pull over and park?

I'm just anxious about this as when we are in Disney beginning tomorrow, we will have no internet to keep track or the status or weather there, etc.

Last question, if we decide to do this, are there cheap hotels out there that we could get at the last minute? Like dinner time the night of?

BPCooper
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
So if we went to titusville, is this just a highway along the water that people just pull over and park?

I'm just anxious about this as when we are in Disney beginning tomorrow, we will have no internet to keep track or the status or weather there, etc.

Last question, if we decide to do this, are there cheap hotels out there that we could get at the last minute? Like dinner time the night of?

There are a few parks on the river, like Space View Park, that people view from. But some people do just park and find a spot that is not a "park" so to speak. There are a couple of piers (one in SVP) in Titusville as well.

If you won't have internet access, try the local news such as 13. If there is a delay they will report on it. And they all have live coverage on launch day.

As far as hotels I have a feeling they are going to be booked with launch goers, at least in Titusville. But it doesn't hurt to try.

BPCooper
03-07-2008, 11:13 AM
The official launch weather forecast was issued today and is calling for excellent conditions with greater than 90% chance of acceptable weather. The countdown begins Saturday morning and all is on scheduled for liftoff at 2:28:12am EDT Tuesday morning.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts123/080307status/

CDNmouse
03-07-2008, 04:55 PM
The official launch weather forecast was issued today and is calling for excellent conditions with greater than 90% chance of acceptable weather. The countdown begins Saturday morning and all is on scheduled for liftoff at 2:28:12am EDT Tuesday morning.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts123/080307status/

Thanks for the update Ben,

Looking forward to seeing a night time launch.

Gary

golden
03-12-2008, 08:05 PM
OMG! We made it there!
We even got free VIP passes onto the Causeway via a bus that my DH was able to get at the last minute through work. We arrived at 10ish or so, camped out, kids fell asleep for a few hours. It was such a beautiful night.

I was totally blown away at full light up of the sky! I am trying hard to ignore the fact that it disappeared just seconds after lift off into the unbelievably low cloud ceiling! It was such a chance of lifetime and was so thrilled to be able to be there!

Sheribo
03-16-2008, 10:03 AM
We saw it! It was all over very quickly and the drive back to Orlando was brutal (3 hours) but it was definitely worth it. I was shocked at the crowds but even so, we had no trouble finding a place to park along the coast.The only thing that would have made it better was a scanner to hear the countdown. Our original plan was to go to Spaceview Park but we arrived too late and it was full. Apparently, they pipe in the countdown over loudspeakers there.

bubba73
03-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I have not been at WDW during a launch but have read many times were people actually turned around while at EPCOT and saw the launch going over Mission Space. That would have been awesome.

But, I have done a launch from the Causeway at KSC. I have never experienced anything like that in my life. I was less than 6 miles away from the Shuttle with nothing inbetween us but water. It took 45 seconds after the launch for the sound to get to where we were and it overtook the crowd like a train on the tracks. It was incredible. (By the way, did I mention that I am a total Space Nut! I love it!!!) With all of that being said, I recommend to take that day off from the parks and go to KSC. It will be more than worth it.

LoveMickey
03-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Are there any other good places to see the launch from WDW. There is one scheduled for the week we are going.

But we won't be able to make it over to the Cape.

Has anyone viewed it from the Contemporary or WL? We'll be staying at the Lodge. What about the train station at MK.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which direction to look. Any help is appreciated.

Disneyland_emily
03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
If you are at the MK you will want to look over above the Tomorrowland area.

Does that help?

krbq
03-28-2008, 11:17 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/krbq/PICT0058-1.jpg

This is a photo of the launch of Discovery in October 2007 as seen from the boat dock at the Grand Floridian (it looks like it's shooting out of the roof of the Contemporary). The vapor trail at the top of the photo is from the NASA spotter plane that had just passed over Disney World.

krbq
03-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Are there any other good places to see the launch from WDW. There is one scheduled for the week we are going.

But we won't be able to make it over to the Cape.

Has anyone viewed it from the Contemporary or WL? We'll be staying at the Lodge. What about the train station at MK.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which direction to look. Any help is appreciated.

KSC is about 60 miles east of WDW. If you think of the castle as the north point on a compass, then look to the east and you'll be able to see the launch as long as you can see the sky. The beach at the CR would probably be a great spot and I imagine there would be a good place at the WL. Ask CM's when you get there -- several will also be planning to watch the launch themselves and will know the vantage points for wherever you might be at launch time.

LoveMickey
03-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you everyone. You folks are so great. I love to come here and get my questions answered.

:thumbsup2

bouncycat
04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Lovemickey, don't be upset if it gets delayed, more and more of them are getting delayed because of either weather, or technical glitches, Discovery for may has already been pushed back 5 days because of the external fuel tank being delayed coming in because of weather, there are MANY factors that can delay the shuttle. If you are in the area when it comes in, the sounds that creates are astounding. The whole shuttle program has awed me since the start. I LOVE living on the space coast, but will probably never get used to the sonic booms it creates when landing, scares me every single time, shakes the house, scares the dog, etc. But, if you can see a launch and never have, be prepared to be amazed. Right now, it's slated to go up on May 31st, at 5ish in the afternoon, if I see any updates, I'll post them, they have stuff in the paper here every day on the shuttle program.

krbq
04-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Lovemickey, don't be upset if it gets delayed, more and more of them are getting delayed because of either weather, or technical glitches, Discovery for may has already been pushed back 5 days because of the external fuel tank being delayed coming in because of weather, there are MANY factors that can delay the shuttle. If you are in the area when it comes in, the sounds that creates are astounding. The whole shuttle program has awed me since the start. I LOVE living on the space coast, but will probably never get used to the sonic booms it creates when landing, scares me every single time, shakes the house, scares the dog, etc. But, if you can see a launch and never have, be prepared to be amazed. Right now, it's slated to go up on May 31st, at 5ish in the afternoon, if I see any updates, I'll post them, they have stuff in the paper here every day on the shuttle program.

Yes, please post here about the launches.:goodvibes

We're determined to see one on the coast someday and there aren't going to be many more shuttle launches. We had planned to drive over from WDW for the October 2007 launch. Got up about 5 am for an 11:38 am launch, but a CM told us that driving in to work she had already seen the roads headed east JAMMED with others headed for the Space Coast so we didn't even try.

bouncycat
04-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Yes, they do get jammed quick!! Traffic coming back has to be a nightmare also, my dh is in the coast guard, we go over to his ship to see it, when he's inport, and the normal 20 minute drive home can take 2 hours!! But, I do have to say if you've never seen it, it would definedly be worth it to take the trip and fight the crowds once. Anywhere along US1 in titusville/Port St John area is right across the river, and you can see everything, as long as it's not cloudy. When it gets closer to the next launch, I can also post some alternate routes you can take, besides 528, to get to the area, as long as you make it to US1, you can see clearly.

patink
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Does anyone know when the tickets for a specific launch go on sale? We will be at WDW for the May 31st launch and we are thinking about taking a shot at getting tickets if it is even still possible.
Also are the tickets transferable for the same launch? If the launch did get moved to later in June could we sell them to someone to get our money back and give someone else a chance to see it up close?

BPCooper
04-03-2008, 10:48 AM

http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/eventSignUp.asp

They have not gone on sale yet nor been announced.

nkjzmom
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
It's been so fun reading this thread. I grew up in Titusville with my Dad and both grandfathers working for NASA or one of its contractors. My Dad often took us out to KSC for family days. We'd tour the VAB and the control rooms...I remember walking through rooms filled with HUGE computers!! Now we live near the Space and Rocket center in Huntsville so we visit there. My DD will be going to Space Camp in a few weeks.

I haven't seen a launch in person since we moved to Alabama in 89 (the years after Challenger were difficult) so we're taking the kids in May.

I'm so excited...I feel like the WDW commercial where no one can sleep! Thanks for all the great reminders and new information.

(Secretly wishing I could climb up on the monkeybars at my old house and watch the launch from there!)

BPCooper
04-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Well ironically, they announced today that STS-124 tickets go on sale this Monday, April 7, at 9am.

BPCooper
04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
If the launch did get moved to later in June could we sell them to someone to get our money back and give someone else a chance to see it up close?

I see people sell them all the time on ebay and on space forums if they can't use them anymore because of delays. Never heard of any problems. They don't have any names on them so they are like any other ticket.

krbq
04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
When we tried to gets tickets for the October 2007 launch, my friend called KSC and was told they sell out in about 2 minutes. She asked what happens if the launch was postponed after the ticket was purchased and was told the ticket wouldn't be valid for the new date and wouldn't be refundable either. She tried calling anyway on the morning they went on sale but the tickets had already sold out in less than 2 minutes.

It didn't sound right that they would take our money then leave us holding useless tickets if they changed the launch date, but that's what she was told. Perhaps that particular KSC employee was giving out wrong information. I'd be interested to hear what other people are being told.

BPCooper
04-03-2008, 11:47 PM
That's not true, they are valid for that launch whenever it goes. Only if it is scrubbed at the last minute after you have gone out to the causeway do they sell new tickets.

If it is delayed beforehand, it is by launch not by date.

patink
04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Well ironically, they announced today that STS-124 tickets go on sale this Monday, April 7, at 9am.

I got my email this morning!! :cool1: Looks like I started asking just in time! Thanks!

I see people sell them all the time on ebay and on space forums if they can't use them anymore because of delays. Never heard of any problems. They don't have any names on them so they are like any other ticket.

That would be great! I don't want to make extra $$ I would just like to get my $$ back if I can't use them. Also if the tickets really do sell out in 2 minutes it would be a shame to get some and have them go to waste.

That's not true, they are valid for that launch whenever it goes. Only if it is scrubbed at the last minute after you have gone out to the causeway do they sell new tickets.

That is what I read on the Kennedy Space Center web page.

:worship: Thanks Again for all the helpful info. I think I will give it a try on Monday. It looks like you can order online as well as on the phone. What do you think would give me a better chance?
I guess I could log on and call and see if I get in one way or the other.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
I am very excited!!

krbq
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM

Now that makes sense. Thanks!

BPCooper
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
What do you think would give me a better chance?

I would say both ;-) Set up the page at 8:58 and hope for the best, and also have a phone in your other hand. Perhaps have someone else in the house try on their cell too.

krbq
04-04-2008, 10:34 AM
I think I will give it a try on Monday. It looks like you can order online as well as on the phone. What do you think would give me a better chance?

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
I am very excited!!

My friend tried to reserve by phone. She started dialing early and still missed out on getting tickets. You might want to consider getting family, friends, & co-workers involved on the chance that maybe one of them will get through if you don't. Let us know what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

patink
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
My friend tried to reserve by phone. She started dialing early and still missed out on getting tickets. You might want to consider getting family, friends, & co-workers involved on the chance that maybe one of them will get through if you don't. Let us know what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

That is a good idea!!
My family in CO (Dad and 3 Brothers) OWE me. When CO Rockies made it to the World Series I was the only one to get through! I got 4 seats a section over from home plate and no one else got any tickets. AND I did not even go to the game! I think they had a bunch of people trying.

If I am this excited about the possibility of getting tickets I don't know what I will do if I actually get them.
Thanks for the good thoughts.:woohoo:

Maybe my luck will still be with me.:thumbsup2

Or maybe I used it up.:sad1:

Guess we will have to wait and see!

Disney loving Iowan
04-04-2008, 07:22 PM
The band and orchestra from my daughter's school is supposed perform the National Anthem at KSC on June 1st and spend the rest of the morning there. Now that they heard about the launch they are considering going on May 31 instead. Would they be able to arrange to see the launch? If they would have to buy tickets that sell out in just minutes they would be out of luck. Anyone have any info on something like this?

Also we are not travelling on the buses with the group so we would have to find our own way to KSC. Does Mears or anyone else go there from WDW?
Thanks

goin2fl
04-04-2008, 09:40 PM
What I have learned over the last several weeks is that it's really only the tickets to take the special busses out to the causeway that sellout so quickly (and the ones for dining with an astronaut). You can probably get tickets to see the lauch from the Kennedy Space Center Complex right up until the day of launch.

We were there (the visitor center) for the last launch a couple of weeks ago. We had purchased our tickets online ahead of time and they were UPS'ed to our house. We were told they had to be UPS'ed for security reasons (they had to be trackable). We got a whole packet of stuff including a card that had to be in our car window and a specific time that we were supposed to arrive. But there were people buying tickets to be in the visitor center complex for the launch right on site the night of the launch. Security was tight, but not as tight as we had been led to believe in the paperwork we got.

The tickets are good for a specific launch. So if the launch were to be scrubbed, you can still use the same tickets for the same launch. Or, if you are unable to be there for the rescheduled launch, you can still use the tickets to just visit the KSC Visitor Complex and do all the fun stuff there. That's what made it a no-brainer for us -- the visitor center launch tickets cost the same as no-launch tickets so we weren't going to be out any money at all if we missed the launch because we were going to visit KSC anyway.

The visitor center is a good place to see the launch, you just can't see the actual launch pad from there. You have to wait for it to come up above a tree line.

If you go the Photography board here, there is a link for "Disney Pictures and Video". Then there is a link to a youtube video of the March 11 launch. Whoever took the video must have been standing within a few feet of where we were because his video looks exactly like our still pictures. We thought it was pretty cool to see the launch from there.

BPCooper
04-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Yep, that's right. Visitors complex tickets never sell out. If you do not get the causeway tickets, I recommend checking out my guide and getting an idea of the visitors complex versus Titusville and decide what you want:

http://www.launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing.html

And also, check out photos (links at bottom) from various areas as well as searching on YouTube for shuttle launch videos from Titusville versus the visitors complex like he suggested.

The last launch, STS-123, was vastly different from any other launch with the cloud cover so using that as a sample is not a good one. Here are a couple of STS-117, a late-afternoon launch like 124 will be, from the visitors complex and Titusville:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NtYz4if0W98
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b-3UK3WV1XI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6dcJEQf3pkU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H8GdgvCpAyE

Note that the actual distances are 7.4 miles from the visitors complex and 12 from Titusville. The causeway is 6.5-7 depending on where along it. Yes, it is the closest and best spot...and the loudest.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wr3I9MyBUZk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dzus94-gkY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fTH9Nt45m1E
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_jX18xVitgw (tilt your head? good view & sound)

lorasmom
04-05-2008, 07:53 AM
We are thinking about staying in Cocoa Beach for the next launch - how is the traffic from there to Titusville?

bouncycat
04-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Traffic is horrible ANYWHERE along the coast during a shuttle launch, you can see it and feel it from CB, but Titusville and a little south along US1 is the best bet. There are some spots along 528 to see good, but those fill up FAST!! We left after one a few months back from near the cruise ships, and it took 2 hrs to get home, people go 528/A1A towards CB, and 528 and US1 to get back to 528, since that's the artery road to orlando. Best bet, get your spot early, this next one is due to go up at 5:01 pm, so pack a lunch, go to spaceview park in titusville, or nicol park in Pt St John, and just stay there, there's playgrounds for the kids, and it's on the water, but you got to get there EARLY!!!!! That's the key to these launches.

BPCooper
04-05-2008, 11:36 AM
If this launch remains a Saturday evening, expect big crowds. STS-116 and 117 both fell on Friday and Saturday evenings and attracted huge crowds up and down the space coast. STS-118 was a Wednesday evening in August and it, too, attracted a huge crowd.

lorasmom
04-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I believe it's a Sunday launch, but it's Memorial Day weekend. We are planning on hitting Spaceview Park.

BPCooper
04-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I believe it's a Sunday launch, but it's Memorial Day weekend. We are planning on hitting Spaceview Park.

May 25 was a Sunday on Memorial day weekend. May 31 is a Saturday.

bubba73
04-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I was able to view the STS-117 go up from the Causeway last June. They were selling tickets for it until 12:00pm at the front gates. Otherwise, they had a really big screen to the side of Rocket Park with some folding chairs and plenty of room to sit on the grass to watch the liftoff from there. The screen was of course set to NASA TV.

The Causeway was an awesome experience and one that I am very grateful that I was able to have done.

mommyintn
04-15-2008, 12:55 PM
We were there for the launch in Feb. and we went to the Clarion Inn in Titusville and it's almost directly across the water from the launch pad. We paid $15 for parking and were able to use their pool which was great with the kids and made our 2 hour wait go very fast. You also have access to their bar and restaurant. You can get packages for staying there about the time of the shuttle launch and it is pricy for the level of hotel but it seemed clean and people were very nice. I posted about it on my blog here (http://estesfamilynews.blogspot.com/2008/02/getting-back-to-real-life.html) along with pictures I took of the launch. We did stay a cocoa beach the night before and the traffic wasn't horrible but we left early to get there. HTH

CDN Prince Charming
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Ben & Bouncycat - You two certainly are a wealth of information here :goodvibes

A few more questions for you guys if you would. We will be in Disney in August and am planning to go see the STS-125 launch from Spaceview Park and would like to take the family (DW, DS9 & DD7) to a nice public beach for the rest of the day afterwards. Any suggestions for one that might be within an hours drive??
Also, what time do I need be at Spaceview park for a 8:24 a.m. launch on a Thursday??? What time do you suggest leaving Orlando to get there??

Thanks so much,
CPC

BPCooper
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately, that mission (STS-125) is going to be retargeted for October (looking at Oct. 8 at the earliest right now) but they have not made it official as of yet. STS-126 will be looking at mid-November earliest, and STS-119 into early 2009. It is all due to delays in modifying the external tanks.

CDN Prince Charming
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately, that mission (STS-125) is going to be retargeted for October (looking at Oct. 8 at the earliest right now) but they have not made it official as of yet. STS-126 will be looking at mid-November earliest, and STS-119 into early 2009. It is all due to delays in modifying the external tanks.

Hey Ben,

Oh thats too bad, thanks for the heads up. Any idea when they will make it official?
Anyway, any suggestions for a good beach on the ocean side?

Thanks,
CPC

capjack78
04-19-2008, 06:47 AM
I would love to see the Shuttle take off one day. That would be awesome.

lorasmom
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I made a reservation for a River View room at the Clarion 5/31. Is this a good spot? To attempt to avoid some traffic, should we drive over early in the day (we will be driving from tampa)? If so, any suggestions for what to do for the morning until we can check in?

D-ko
04-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Somewhere we went to kill time and get a great meal, is this place called "Lone Cabbage Fish Camp" - they're food is delicious and if you are daring, they have fried gator and frog legs (i'm a picky eater and it was great loved the gator did not care for the frog legs! - the cat fish was great) The prices were very cheap and the food was fresh and great (no fishy smell). They have a good sized menu with lots of options. It is located at on the St. John's River and they also have Airboat rides. We stayed at the Ramada (not the one that's super close to KSC but maybe 11 miles away?) This place was 5 minutes from our hotel. It is in the middle of nowhere but it was a great middle of nowhere.

Their official web site --> http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/cabbage.htm

bristolphil
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
hello this is all new to me . we are in orlando 28th may when and what time is the launch please we arrive on 28 for 2 weeks so hope to see it.
thanks phil

BPCooper
04-25-2008, 02:01 PM
hello this is all new to me . we are in orlando 28th may when and what time is the launch please we arrive on 28 for 2 weeks so hope to see it.
thanks phil

Launch remains set for Saturday May 31st at 5:02pm EDT.

pighepoll
04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Space is the component of the universe in which matter is physically extended and objects have positions relative to one another[1]. Although there is disagreement between philosophers over whether space exists as anything other than a conceptual framework, scientists tend to think of it as a part of the boundless four-dimensional continuum known as spacetime[

krbq
04-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Any updates on this? The NASA website still says Aug. 28+ for STS-125 and Oct. 16+ for STS-126. We'll be at WDW in mid to late Oct. and would love to catch one of them. Might even change our dates to make it possible.

BPCooper
04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Any updates on this? The NASA website still says Aug. 28+ for STS-125 and Oct. 16+ for STS-126. We'll be at WDW in mid to late Oct. and would love to catch one of them. Might even change our dates to make it possible.

I don't know when they will announce officially but it is a sure thing. There were a couple (http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5396) of articles (http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts123/080321tanks/index.html) as well since then.

krbq
04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't know when they will announce officially but it is a sure thing. There were a couple (http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5396) of articles (http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts123/080321tanks/index.html) as well since then.

Thanks for those links -- very helpful and interesting info there!

momandseandodisney
04-27-2008, 09:05 AM
is there any this September going up?

troyhouse
04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
We will be there between May 14 - 22 , any launches during this period?

3MGIRLS
04-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Someone may have already posted something similar, as I haven't read this entire thread - but anyhow...

Lat year, we happened to be at EPCOT during a day launch. Based on where we were standing, we got a great shot (distant as it was) of the launch as the shuttle trajected over Mission: Space. Everyone was cheering. It was pretty awe inspiring.

BPCooper
04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
There are two sites to bookmark to keep track of launch dates accurately:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

-The shuttle is going to be next May 31.

-Today, NASA has stated that they will probably not choose a new date for the STS-125 Hubble mission until after this one launches May 31. October remains the likely "no earlier than" time frame.

-As for September, right now there is a rocket launch slated for Sept. 11. But it is a long way off so bookmark the above and just check back as it gets nearer.

BPCooper
05-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for those links -- very helpful and interesting info there!

NASA officially announced today at a press briefing that the STS-125 Hubble mission is October. A formal date (likely Oct. 8) should be announced soon. Same goes for a slip to the following mission of STS-119 from Dec. 4 to early 2009.

krbq
05-01-2008, 02:17 PM
NASA officially announced today at a press briefing that the STS-125 Hubble mission is October. A formal date (likely Oct. 8) should be announced soon. Same goes for a slip to the following mission of STS-119 from Dec. 4 to early 2009.

Thanks for staying on top of this, BPCooper -- NASA hasn't even updated its website yet. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who appreciates your posts!

BPCooper
05-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for staying on top of this, BPCooper -- NASA hasn't even updated its website yet. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who appreciates your posts!

Here is an article detailing the slips with some quotes from todays press briefing:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts124/080501shannon/

rsmpta
05-04-2008, 12:34 PM
-The shuttle is going to be next May 31.

WOOHOO! We are flying into Orlando May 30. Thinking we may need to rearrange our vacation schedule!! :woohoo:

lorasmom
05-07-2008, 05:28 AM
How busy will the Space Center be the day after the launch? We were thinking about heading over on June 1st.

jenn-n-okla
05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Just found this out. Excellent news. I have witnessed a launch 2 times (first was the first one after the explosion). I hope my DH and DDs will get to experience this like I have. There is nothing like it in the world.

bigbabyblues
05-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Darn it, we canceled our trip for the end of May, but if DH had known about the launch, I'm sure we'd stil be going.

goondisney
05-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I saw the night launch in March it was cool to see but very short. I was very cloudy that night.

nkjzmom
05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Will the fires/smoke in Brevard County affect the launch?

Autoeng
05-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I will be in Florida on the 31st but unfortunately we will have finished our WDW vacation and will have moved on over to Sarasota / Siesta Key. Can anyone suggest best viewing possibilities from the gulf area without getting tied up in the launch crowds? I am willing to drive an hour or so to improve viewing.

Thanks
Autoeng

bouncycat
05-13-2008, 02:03 PM
The fires and smoke shouldn't cause a problem unless the smoke is blowing straight for the shuttle, or the fire is threatening the space center, which at this time it is not. The wind isn't even blowing that general direction, but of course that can change at any time. Last I read in the paper is everything is a go, the astronauts had their walk thru countdown last week, and all is well. Launch is still set for Sat the 31st, at 5:02 PM. As far as viewing from the gulf coast, I'm not sure about that, haven't been over that way to watch a launch, so I can't answer that. I wasn't aware you could even see it from Disney before I found these boards! The launches are definedly a spectacular sight, so if you can get the chance to see it, go for it. I've been watching live launches since the very first launch in the 80's, and it STILL gives me goose bumps every time I see it!!

Autoeng
05-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Titusville at the park or do you recommend a little farther away to avoid the crowds as much as possible?

BPCooper
05-13-2008, 03:15 PM
I would stick to Titusville. You don't have to go to Space View park in particular, there are several miles of waterfront there. The view outweighs the crowds though.

Mr._Potato_Head
05-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Subscribing. I want to keep an eye on this thread. My kids would LOVE to see a launch!

CandlePrincess
05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
i've never seen a launch for real but film footage of a night time launch that i saw was definitely the best!

dgaston
05-17-2008, 07:17 AM
We're actually making a special trip to FL to hopefully see the launch. This is our third attempt. We are staying in Cocoa and plan to watch from Titusville. We parked at what's now the Clarion before, but may try Space View Park this time.

Any suggestions on traffic back to Cocoa?

bouncycat
05-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Patience!!! That's the best tip I can give you...patience!! Traffic is HORRIBLE after a launch!! it is worth it tho!! Enjoy your trip, last I heard everything is GO for launch!!!

lorasmom
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Any idea how busy the Space Center usually is the day after a launch? We are planning on visiting that day.

SalandJeff
05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm so excited...we will be there on 5/31.

If we go to Titusville, how far in advance do we need to plan to arrive to get a good spot? How long will it take us to get there from WDW, given the traffic? Anywhere in the area to eat afterwards?

Thanks for all the information!

BobWerner
05-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Space Coast is about 1 hour from WDW. Just head east, you can't miss it. Depending on flight time, I'd try and get there anywhere from 2 - 3 hours early. I have never run into that much traffic when I go. As for places to eat, I don't know of any as I normally just leave after the launch and eat at WDW.

nkjzmom
05-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Our family of 7 will be in Titusville for the launch. I don't know if we'll watch from Space View Park but I'll make sure we sport some kind of lime green. If you spot us come over and say hello!!!

bouncycat
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
There is a place on US1, it's called Dogs R Us, kids eat free, and they are pretty good, they have wings, burgers, dogs, philly's...etc. They're reasonable, but only take cash. They are in Port St John. (near where I live) They are AWESOME!!! The kids eat free option is the BEST!! Anywhere along US1 there is a good spot to see the launch also, we've watched it from there, and it has a perfect view, and not AS crowded as titusville area. There's a spot in port st john called Nicol Park, that is a smaller park and fills up quick. We will be at a neighbors for a bbq that day, so we'll watch it from there!! If you get on hwy 528, and head EAST, get off at US1 and go NORTH...that'll put you in any good spot you want! There's quite a few places to eat along there also, Mc d's, burger king, KFC, all in Port St John! Any more questions, please ask, or PM me!!

BPCooper
05-20-2008, 12:28 PM
It is a little quicker, heading on 528 east, to take the left fork towards KSC and Titusville (can't miss the fork). The left fork, Challenger Memorial Pkwy, will end on Columbia Blvd/Rt 405 in Titusville. Go right, and then exit US 1 north about half a mile later. There are areas and parks along the river for a four-mile stretch.

SalandJeff
05-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the info. Can't wait :yay: :yay: :yay:

dgaston
05-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I got a new lime green baggalini messenger bag for this trip, don't know if I'll have time to get Mickey Heads from Home Depot, so feel free to approach if you see two folks (I'm 50 something and Dh is 60). We also have a blue sun shelter we may use.

I'm starting to get excited! Maybe we'll see this one launch!:banana:

BobWerner
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
There's nothing like a Space Shuttle launch. Seeing it in person is amazing. The sound alone will raise the hair on your arm.

amfdfireinside
05-22-2008, 08:34 AM
wanted to say thanks to this thread, we are going to disney may 26th-30th and while reading the boards, something kept telling me to check this sticky message out. Thats when i found out there was a shuttle launch on the 31st, so we booked another hotel room in titusville for the night and we are going to see the shuttle. Thanks again!

lntsmom
05-22-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm glad to hear you can see it from the parks! We're doing Animal Kingdom that day and had planned to leave early to go putt-putt golfing.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where we can see it from Movies or DTD??? If we could do it from the resort we could videotape it...I won't haul the camera to the parks, tho.

That's the day that MK closes early, right? I guess we could hop over in time to see the launch from Tom Sawyer's Island, then head back to the resort.

Ideas? This is a bonus I never thought we'd get. Gotta pack the binoculars, now!!!

bearlee
05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I saw somewhere that you can see it from MK as well.....I'd love to know the best place to see the launch!

bouncycat
05-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure where to see it from any places in DW, since I haven't seen it from there, just the coast. I do know you can see it in New Smyrna also. You won't get the full effect you do on the coast, here you can actually "feel" it...my son first thought it was an earthquake!! But, as a pp mentioned, it is an awesome sight, give me chills to this day, and I've seen most of them live!! If you can see it, definedly stop to look east, so you can see it!!

Endeavour105
05-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I saw somewhere that you can see it from MK as well.....I'd love to know the best place to see the launch!

Whether or not you will be able to see the shuttle will depend on the amount of cloud cover between WDW, MK or any where on property and the Cape some 50+ miles away at the time of the launch. You may only get a fleeting glimpse, at best, so head for the east coast to avoid being disappointed.

There are absolutely no guarantees you will see anything from WDW, so plan accoridingly.

BPCooper
06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
I hope everyone here got to see it if they were trying to, especially those who set out to get close. It was a beautiful launch into clear skies and nice and loud for everyone out to Titusville and surrounding areas.

And for the skeptics who advise others that it's not worth braving the traffic because it's "always" canceled...well, five of the last six shuttle launches have happened on the first try now :-) There are ten remaining now.

nkjzmom
06-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks Ben...it was a great launch!

We drove over from our campground here in Davenport to spend the day with friends in Titusville. We headed towards the river around 3:30 and parked near Sand Point Park. I hadn't been back to T'ville in over 10 years...those huge condo buildings are terrible! Blocking the view to the river all the way down Garden. We walked all the way down the causeway to the top of the bridge and waited the hour until launch.

It was a beautiful sight. Just as I remembered it. The wind was blowing pretty loudly up there so the sound from the shuttle was not as dramatic as I'd hoped or remembered. But the kids and DH thoroughly enjoyed it.

We waited at Sand Point for a few hours afterwards to let traffic thin. We even spent awhile watching a manatee calf in the marina there. Even so, when we reached 528 at 8pm it was stop and go. We didn't get back here until almost 11pm.

I hope everyone else enjoyed the launch as well. It will be bittersweet to see this program go.

dgaston
06-02-2008, 08:27 AM
We got to see it! We parked at the Clarion -- they let us dip in the pool too, which made waiting that much better. We were so psyched to finally see a launch, although it wasn't as noisy as I had imagined it might be. It was so sweet to see the flames, clouds and trail the shuttle made, as well as watching that pinpoint of fire disappear into the distance.

Traffic was slow back into Cocoa. We left about 6 and got to the place we were staying near Ron Jon's just before 8.

Don wore a shuttle shirt to teach at school today.

lorasmom
06-02-2008, 09:15 AM
We stayed at the Clarion, and had a fantastic view from our second floor room (except for the punks that kept trying to stand directly in front of my daughter... booo!!). It was awesome, DD9 wants to go to the next launch already ;)!

Just a heads up, for anyone considering it, don't bother staying at the Clarion. While it was a PERFECT location for viewing the shuttle, the rooms were... less than desireable, especially considering they were charging $150+ for the rooms (we paid $199!).

rolltide13
06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
We are going to be in town when it lands.... Any suggestions on the best place to see that?

BPCooper
06-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Seeing a daytime landing is not easy; it is like watching a commercial airliner land from eight miles away and then disappear behind the tree line.

You will however hear the twin sonic booms if you are in the area.

If anything, you will want to go to Titusville for the landing, too. Landing is set for June 14 at 11:14am as of now.

kschafer
06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I have never had the chance to see a launch but will be headed to florida in 1 week :thumbsup2 Hubby and I are planning to take a day to head to Kennedy and were thinking about going on the 14th which is landing day.

Will Kennedy be open for tourists on this day? How busy will it be compared to other days? Will we be able to watch the landing?

Any help is appreciated

BPCooper
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
It will be open and I don't think the landings ever attract crowds the way launches do.

delmar411
06-04-2008, 12:30 PM
We watched the launch from DHS this past week. We were reminded at Epcot in the morning but were walking out of the Toy Story Mania area (shut down again!) just at 5:02 and I stopped to see why everyone was staring up at the sky. LOL It was pretty neat to see since I knew what it was and I grabbed a couple shots before it very quickly disappeared from view.

kateonice
06-08-2008, 07:24 PM
always wanted to see a launch. how many of them do they do a year does anyone know? i don't think they do many and with how often the post pone them and stuff i dont wanna schedule a trip and then have the shuttle launch i was trying to see be changed

BPCooper
06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
There is no set number. There have been three shuttle launches so far this year and two more are planned, currently Oct. 8 and Nov. 10. Launch dates are never set in stone so if you want to see one, be prepared to change your plans.

Once the actual date arrives and they are go to begin fueling, they launch on the first try around 45% of the time overall.

Unmanned rocket launches from the Cape are more frequent, with 10 or more per year.

You can keep track of dates here:
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html (NASA missiosn only).

Neoshoegal
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
we watched the lastest shuttle launch. We didn't really plan for it until the day before. Quickly did a google search and decided to go to Titusville. Just got out the map and followed the road along the Indian River. We arrived about 2 hours before the launch, I tried to keep an eye for places where the view would be good. There was a place near the intersection with the "50" road, right by a Walgreens. They were selling parking spots at $20. Considering it was getting very busy and it seemed like a good place (no trees or bushes blocking the view), we decided to go for it. I just didn't feel like searching much longer and risking not getting a good view.
Well, it was worth the $20, we got an excellent view! :cool1:
http://www.everaftervideos.com/blog/photos/shuttle.jpg

I should add: traffic going back to Orlando is horrendous!!! Best to stick around in the area until it clears up. It took us more than 3 hours to get back! lesson learned

tinkerbell34
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
we watched the lastest shuttle launch. We didn't really plan for it until the day before. Quickly did a google search and decided to go to Titusville. Just got out the map and followed the road along the Indian River. We arrived about 2 hours before the launch, I tried to keep an eye for places where the view would be good. There was a place near the intersection with the "50" road, right by a Walgreens. They were selling parking spots at $20. Considering it was getting very busy and it seemed like a good place (no trees or bushes blocking the view), we decided to go for it. I just didn't feel like searching much longer and risking not getting a good view.
Well, it was worth the $20, we got an excellent view! :cool1:
http://www.everaftervideos.com/blog/photos/shuttle.jpg

I should add: traffic going back to Orlando is horrendous!!! Best to stick around in the area until it clears up. It took us more than 3 hours to get back! lesson learned

That is a GREAT picture! We saw the shuttle launch from Animal Kingdom standing on one of the bridges. It was so neat to hear everyone cheer as the shuttle came into view and then clap as it went out of the atmosphere. ::yes:: I would love to get closer next time.

Crayons
06-11-2008, 12:28 AM
There is no set number. There have been three shuttle launches so far this year and two more are planned, currently Oct. 8 and Nov. 10. Launch dates are never set in stone so if you want to see one, be prepared to change your plans.

Once the actual date arrives and they are go to begin fueling, they launch on the first try around 45% of the time overall.

Unmanned rocket launches from the Cape are more frequent, with 10 or more per year.

I just realized that there is a launch scheduled on one of the days we will be staying in Cocoa Beach...Nov. 24th at 3:44am. We will be staying near the pier. Do you think we could see anything on the beach/near the pier or do we need to travel somewhere else to get a view?

BPCooper
06-11-2008, 06:40 AM
I just realized that there is a launch scheduled on one of the days we will be staying in Cocoa Beach...Nov. 24th at 3:44am. We will be staying near the pier. Do you think we could see anything on the beach/near the pier or do we need to travel somewhere else to get a view?

Yes, you can. If you want to get a little closer, the best spot for that launch will be Port Canaveral, by the water, a few minutes up A1A.