PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Anyone Know How To Make Those Candy Corsages From The 1970's?

HeatherC
11-08-2007, 05:12 AM
I may be dating myself, but the Candy Wreath thread reminded me about the candy or bubblegum corsages we used to give to our friends in school on their birthdays.
Anyone remember these? I loved them!

Would love to show my 11 year old how to make them, but can't find them anywhere on the internet.

So any of you fellow Diser's remember these?

Thanks so much!
HeatherC

disneyjunkie
11-08-2007, 05:43 AM
I can't help you, but I sure remember them each year in the 80s(from 8-12 grades).

Each year had a different item in the corsage.
14- had 14 dog biscuits
15- had 15 mini lifesavers
16 - had 16 sugar cubes
17- had some type of candy
18 had cigarettes:eek: My mother would not allow my sister and I to purchase the normal one that year. We had to get the boring corsage with just a flower and the number 18.:sad2:

Have you checked a card shop?

allison443
11-08-2007, 07:02 AM
I remember these! In fact my sister just made one for my daughter's 16th birthday. My kids were like what is that.

We took the large bows that you put on top of a gift package and then used flat ribbon to make 3 or 4 "tails" hanging down from the bottom. We would fasten wrapped candies or foil-wrapped pennies to the corsage, some to the bow itself and then a few on each strand hanging down. I remember in high school we still did this, you would usually get 3 or 4 on your birthday from different friends.
I remember like the prior poster said- for sweet 16 they would use sugar cubes!
I never heard of the cigarette one though!!

Phibbles
11-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I made a sugar cube corsage for my DSIL's Sweet 16. Michael's Art and Crafts had great corsage supplies and a good selection of faux flowers. I just hot-glued everything to the wristlet I bought.

My MIL loved it. I had no idea why she wanted sugar cubes on it though...

Disneycrazymom
11-08-2007, 09:00 AM
My seventeen one had lemon drops. "Sour Seventeen"

Sugar Cubes for Sweet Sixteen. These were made at the florist as I remember.

ampooh
11-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I've never heard of these before. I'd love to see a pic of one.

mtblujeans
11-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I would love to see these too! :banana:

MickeyP
11-12-2007, 10:16 AM
C'mon, somebody find a link and post it. I'm curious now. I'm east coast and never heard of these.

Rootskate
11-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Im also East Coast and clueless. :rotfl:

GJM
11-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I remember that. We did it for our birthday's with friends. This is what we did -

We took a big bow and put ribbon hanging down, and we would attach, bubble gum or candy.

tarheelmjfan
11-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Im also East Coast and clueless. :rotfl:

Add me to this list. :laughing:

ORMom2Four
11-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm from the west coast, born & raised in AZ, a teen in the 80's and have also never heard of or seen these!

momof296&02
11-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm east coast too (grrew up in Queens, NY) and I remember these. When i turned 16 I had 6 of them given to me! I haven't seen them in years. I will check around the house to see if I have a picture of me wearing one.

tarheelmjfan
11-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Sounds like it must have been a Northeast thing. :confused3

dis2cruise
11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
i had these i can remember my sweet 16 party with sugar cubes:rotfl:

ceecee
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Sounds like it must have been a Northeast thing. :confused3

I've never heard of them and I'm from the Northeast! I am curious though, hope someone finds a picture.

hrarcham
11-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I found this quote...

10th birthday - lollipops
11th birthday - gum drops
12th birthday - tootsie rolls
13th birthday - bubble gum
14th birthday - dog biscuits
15th birthday - life savers
16th birthday - sugar cubes
17th birthday - lemon drops
18th birthday - cigarettes

I think the dog biscuits were because a 14 year old
was assumed to be in the throes of puppy love. And
an 18 year old was now old enough to smoke. This was
the 50s remember.

Here's a start... I could not find a pic...
http://www.visionsofsilk.com/How_to_make_a_candy_bouquet.shtml

irishbosoxfan
11-12-2007, 01:23 PM
From the Northeast and never heard of them.
i searched for this thing 50 ways and this is the only one I could find

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-White-Ribbon-bow-Birthday-Corsage-Age-5_W0QQitemZ170167925317QQihZ007QQcategoryZ26393QQc mdZViewItem

Hope it helps.

lisatx04
11-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I am originally from Long Island, and I do remember these!! Wow...
We did the same thing another poster said-got a big bow, hung ribbon from it, and then attached the candy to the ribbon and bow. You can make it however fancy you want it.

Have fun!

tarheelmjfan
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM
I've never heard of them and I'm from the Northeast! I am curious though, hope someone finds a picture.

Oh well, it was a thought. Sorry :blush:

Mickey'sfriend
11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the link. My dd is always looking for something to give to friends for their b-days. She might like these!!

tarheelmjfan
11-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks to hrarcham & irishbosoxfan for the links. I think I'll make these for my niece's stockings. They should get a kick out of them. :thumbsup2

annsteere
11-12-2007, 02:16 PM
In Wisconsin we did these only for 16 and 18. 16 was sugar cubes and 18 was beer bottle tops.

(My kids are incredulous that there was a different age for legally drinking beer and hard alcohol).

Mom2Ashli
11-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I found this quote...

Here's a start... I could not find a pic...
http://www.visionsofsilk.com/How_to_make_a_candy_bouquet.shtml

That is too cool. Thanks for posting the instructions.

java
11-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Oh YEAH!! I remember them! They started being made when I was in elementary school- no real rhyme or reason to the items except person's favorite candy. It was a HUGE bow- with the streamers hanging down. When I got to High school it was all over your locker- a bunch of different bows stuck all over full of candy! Really was fun.
But now with all the healthy rules at schools I would bet ours would implode if my dd showed up with candy bows!!

From LI and went to an All girls high school!

krcit
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
We did this in my school too except we did it a little differantly. We cut out the b-day girls initial out of cardboard and covered it in tin foil and then glued candy and ribbons to it. This was LI also.

Aliceacc
11-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Yep, we did them too.

In fact, ages ago when my grandmother turned 80, I made her one... 80 lifesavers hung by curling ribbon onto a big bow. She didn't wear it but got a kick out of it :)

Aliceacc
11-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Oh YEAH!! I remember them! They started being made when I was in elementary school- no real rhyme or reason to the items except person's favorite candy. It was a HUGE bow- with the streamers hanging down. When I got to High school it was all over your locker- a bunch of different bows stuck all over full of candy! Really was fun.
But now with all the healthy rules at schools I would bet ours would implode if my dd showed up with candy bows!!

From LI and went to an All girls high school!

I bet I taught at that same all girls HS. Was it across from A&S??

java
11-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I bet I taught at that same all girls HS. Was it across from A&S??

Not that one- think Syosset.:thumbsup2

java
11-12-2007, 04:38 PM
We did this in my school too except we did it a little differantly. We cut out the b-day girls initial out of cardboard and covered it in tin foil and then glued candy and ribbons to it. This was LI also.

OH YEAH I forgot about that - we did it that way in elementary school.

Aliceacc
11-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Not that one- think Syosset.:thumbsup2

OK... that was my 2nd guess;)

disneyjunkie
11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm east coast too (grrew up in Queens, NY) and I remember these. When i turned 16 I had 6 of them given to me! I haven't seen them in years. I will check around the house to see if I have a picture of me wearing one.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
I grew up here in Brooklyn and we always had them.

We never made them ourselves. We would buy them from a small card shop.

They were like the corsages (not the wrist corsages) you would wear to a prom, but just with the birthday items added.

Benducci
11-13-2007, 08:37 AM
I remember these - all the popular girls got them. Since I was not popular I never got one!

disneyjunkie
11-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I remember these - all the popular girls got them. Since I was not popular I never got one!

Why didn't you just buy one yourself?:confused3

Imzadi
11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
In Wisconsin we did these only for 16 and 18. 16 was sugar cubes and 18 was beer bottle tops.

(My kids are incredulous that there was a different age for legally drinking beer and hard alcohol).

Hmm, I wonder what happened to the beer bottles themselves? :rolleyes1

T. Lynn
11-13-2007, 11:00 AM
What do you use for age 8?

Is there a full list somewhere?

bethbuchall
11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I have never heard of these. What a fun idea!

WeLuvDiznee
11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
What a blast from the past!!! My mom would get us one every year! I remember 1 had peanuts on it,tootsie rolls, lifesavers,bazooka gum- I have no idea what they meant,but they were fun to get every year!

Soulsearching
11-13-2007, 03:24 PM
I so remember these and I am also from Long Island!!! Waving to Java......

Anyway, I loved getting them as I grew up each every year on my birthday. Such wonderful memories.

canwegosoon
11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
What a blast from the past!!! My mom would get us one every year! I remember 1 had peanuts on it,tootsie rolls, lifesavers,bazooka gum- I have no idea what they meant,but they were fun to get every year!

Yes-That's what I remember- They were out of satin ribbon an you might have a few tails. I remember I got one that was Royal blue and another one that was yellow. They were fun to wear. I grew up in Hampton Bays(at the time a small town on LI)

Aliceacc
11-13-2007, 05:03 PM
So apparently this was a Long Island thing only??

Does anyone from any other part of the country remember them or was it just us??

disneyjunkie
11-13-2007, 07:53 PM
What do you use for age 8?

Is there a full list somewhere?

I don't remember having any for that age. I beleive we started wearing them when we turned 12 or 13.:confused3

Does anyone from any other part of the country remember them or was it just us??

Nope, not just a Long Island thing. I grew up in Brooklyn and we had them. However, it seems they were a bit different. We didn't make them ourselves. They were pre-made with a flower in the center, colored ribbons and the candy.

tinytink
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I do something special for my family, I decorate their bedroom doors with wrapping paper then I stick their favorite candies and snacks to it. They I have the rest of the family sign the door with their birthday wishes. I also decorate their lockers at school with candy, birthday garland, snacks, and small gifts(earrings, gift cards...) and I top it off with balloons. I also bring them a special lunch for them to share with their friends. I will have to try my hand at the corsage, bouquet, or bows. Thanks for the ideas and directions.

Coll0610
11-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I went to an all girls Catholic high school. We didn't have corsages, but we used to take ribbons and tape candy to them for our friends to wear on their birthdays. Sometimes we would add a sign saying something like "today is my 15th birthday". We also used to decorate our friends' lockers, but we had to put the wrapping paper on the inside of the locker (fire regs prohibited covering the outside of the lockers).

This was the south suburbs of Chicago in the early 80s.

samanthacatangel
11-13-2007, 08:27 PM

I'm from Staten Island, and we had them, also. I had the sugar cube Sweet 16 one- I saved that thing for years. For all I know, it may be petrified in my basement. I will check tomorrow and if it is, I will take a pic of it.

I saved weird stuff.

Samantha

allison443
11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm from Staten Island, and we had them, also. I had the sugar cube Sweet 16 one- I saved that thing for years. For all I know, it may be petrified in my basement. I will check tomorrow and if it is, I will take a pic of it.

I saved weird stuff.

Samantha

Another Staten Islander here who remembers them!:thumbsup2
We didn't have a list for certain ages though(other than the sugar cubes for sweet 16). We would just use whatever candy we could get. We didn't use the beer bottle tops for age 18 though-I think the nuns at my high school would have been :scared1:

luvsgrumpy
11-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Don't have anything to add except I am curious to see a pic and love the fact that I must be just a couple of years to young to remember this. Doesn't happen too much anymore!

Phibbles
11-13-2007, 10:31 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/phibbles/Misc017.jpg

I made this sugar cube corsage several years ago for my SIL's SW16.
My MIL loved it. I still don't understand it though.
I can't believe I found a photo either.

Aliceacc
11-14-2007, 03:55 AM
OK, so maybe it's a metro-NYC thing??

Funny, growing up I assumed that the entire world did things just as we did:upsidedow

tinkerbell615
11-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Okay, so I have never heard of this either, but I have a DD who will be 16 in about 5 months and I would love to make one. I also bet she would love doing this for all of her friends.

The picture that I saw looks really pretty. But... do they really eat the sugar cubes?

I still am having a hard time picturing all of the ones that everyone is talking about. I am thinking my DD and her friends would like the ones on ribbons maybe, so if any of you find the pictures or heck... can scan a hand drawn picture for that matter, please do. I am not very creative and really need something visual.

This is a neat and very unusual idea.

disneyjunkie
11-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Okay, so I have never heard of this either, but I have a DD who will be 16 in about 5 months and I would love to make one. I also bet she would love doing this for all of her friends.

The picture that I saw looks really pretty. But... do they really eat the sugar cubes?

I still am having a hard time picturing all of the ones that everyone is talking about. I am thinking my DD and her friends would like the ones on ribbons maybe, so if any of you find the pictures or heck... can scan a hand drawn picture for that matter, please do. I am not very creative and really need something visual.

This is a neat and very unusual idea.

We only ate the candy that came in wrappers. Never the sugar cubes or gum drops.

I've never made one, but I can give you an idea of how I think they were put together.

A flower (maybe a carniation:confused3 ) was hot glued to a setting(greenery, babies breath...). A Colored ribbon was tied made into a bow and hot glued to the flower arrangement. Pipe cleaners were used to hold the candy in place. A pin was hot glued to the back of the arrangement so that it could be worn.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking of trying to make a few of these for my students to wear during our Christmas feast.(kindergarten).

If I have any success, I'll post a picture.

I wonder if I can make boutineers with matchbox cars for the boys??:confused3

tinkerbell615
11-14-2007, 07:08 AM
We only ate the candy that came in wrappers. Never the sugar cubes or gum drops.

I've never made one, but I can give you an idea of how I think they were put together.

A flower (maybe a carniation:confused3 ) was hot glued to a setting(greenery, babies breath...). A Colored ribbon was tied made into a bow and hot glued to the flower arrangement. Pipe cleaners were used to hold the candy in place. A pin was hot glued to the back of the arrangement so that it could be worn.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking of trying to make a few of these for my students to wear during our Christmas feast.(kindergarten).

If I have any success, I'll post a picture.

I wonder if I can make boutineers with matchbox cars for the boys??:confused3

Thanks. I can't wait to show this to my DM. She is pretty crafty and I think she would love to try one of these. After she tries and succeeds... maybe I will try myself. I would love to see your picture after you are done.

tarheelmjfan
11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
:hug:

Funny, growing up I assumed that the entire world did things just as we did:upsidedow

On Valentine's day, people could buy a single carnation in different colors to give someone. There were different colors for friends, boyfriends, etc. to give. I'm not certain we did this on Valentine's Day, but it sounds likely. The 80s were a long time ago. :o Did you guys do that?

TinkerBess_SnowTori
11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
On Valentine's day, people could buy a single carnation in different colors to give someone. There were different colors for friends, boyfriends, etc. to give. I'm not certain we did this on Valentine's Day, but it sounds likely. The 80s were a long time ago. :o Did you guys do that?

Oh yeah - they did that at our school - white was for friendship, red love and pink was secret admirer - oh how I wanted a pink, I got a few white and waited and waited for my boyfriend (who is now my DH) to send me one and he never did --- he had a rose waiting with him in the car with him when he picked me up after school -- he was so proud of himself because the rose he got from the flower shop was the same price as they were charging in school for the carnations

He didn't get that it was the being seen with the carnation that was what was important. :rolleyes:

OKWAnneMarie
11-14-2007, 02:20 PM
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
I grew up here in Brooklyn and we always had them.

We never made them ourselves. We would buy them from a small card shop.

They were like the corsages (not the wrist corsages) you would wear to a prom, but just with the birthday items added.

Me, too! We used to buy them from a small card shore called "The Lord's Shop" on 5th Avenue between 21st & 22nd Street in Brooklyn.

My mother bought me one every year. I LOVED THEM! It made me feel so special on my birthday, especially when I wore it to school.

I bought them for my daughter, also. I used to get them in a Hallmark store, but I haven't seen them in over 10 years.

js
11-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I may be dating myself, but the Candy Wreath thread reminded me about the candy or bubblegum corsages we used to give to our friends in school on their birthdays.
Anyone remember these? I loved them!

Would love to show my 11 year old how to make them, but can't find them anywhere on the internet.

So any of you fellow Diser's remember these?

Thanks so much!
HeatherC

I remember each of your friends would make one and at one time you could have 4 or 5 pinned to your school uniform :dance3:
I wanted to make one for my daughter the last few years but she thought I was nuts :laughing:

samanthacatangel
11-14-2007, 06:50 PM
I couldn't find my Sweet 16 sugar cube corsage. I think it is long gone.

We did this in High School, and they were delivered in homeroom. I think I always got white (friendship) but rarely a red (boyfriend.) My boyfriends were from other schools, but I remember how everyone was a bit envious of the red flowers delivered in homeroom.

Although, we did make fun of the "glitter chicks" who always got the red carnations, and always wore their ankle bracelets as necklaces. they usually had diamonds, "wings," and the boyfriend/girlfriend's names. And by we, I mean the "critters" (our word for rockers/metalhead types.)

I think critters and glitters were Staten Island terms. We were completely divided by MUSIC.

Aaah, the '80's. Good times.

Samantha

Teacher510
11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
We did these here in NJ (outside Manhattan) in the 70's. I don't know when that stopped. We would make them (can't remember anything but dog biscuits, lifesavers and sugar cubes though). For Sweet 16 we could buy a flower corsage with the sugar cubes at the florist. We would have several of them on our uniform "weskits" too!