PDA

View Full Version : Shocked!!!

wilma-bride
10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Taken from AOL news:

McCanns use money from fund to pay mortgage

The fund set up to support the search for Madeleine McCann was used by her parents to make two mortgage payments, it has emerged.

Gerry and Kate McCann's spokesman confirmed that money sent to help their efforts to find their missing daughter had been used for their housing costs.

Clarence Mitchell said: "The fund has always had the ability to assist the family financially if necessary, and they've only used it to pay for two mortgage payments, earlier this year.

Am I the only one who finds this questionable??? While I appreciate that the funds have the ability to assist the family, I cannot believe that money donated by wellwishers to help find their daughter has been used in this way :sad2:

carolfoy
10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I read about this yesterday Joh and I totally agree, I wonder if the big people like Branson regret funding them?
I could see it coming to be honest as they've put so much time into their media campaign that theres no way they can be working full time at the moment:sad2:

stitch&ariel
10-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I totally agree I think this is wrong, if I had donated money like a huge number of people have I would be upset :sad2:

natalielongstaff
10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
its shocking but not surprising !

Madjock
10-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry but I don't see what the furore is about. This couple have put their lives on hold since their daughter disappeared which is understandable but unfortunately, no matter what the circumstances, bills don't go away and still need to be paid. Obviously they haven't been working and obviously there is only so much savings (unless you're one of the mega rich) so how else are they going to pay their bills whilst they are unable to return to a normal life? Can you imagine having to worry about the bills during such an awful time? Yes I am one of those who donated money and no it doesn't bother me that my contributions may have been used in such a way because if it gives this couple one less thing to stress about during this horrendous time then that's fine by me. When you offer to help someone during difficult times it doesn't, or at least it shouldn't, come with any stipulations on how that help is employed.

DisneyJo
10-30-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with you Joh no way should the money be used for their mortgage payments, it was given to them to aid the search for their daughter, yes I totally understand that bills still need to be paid but most companies would allow them to pay these at a later date!

budicesi
10-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Well Im with Madjock on this. They are putting a great deal of time and effort into this and I thin kits great they have been able to call on this money to help them when they are stuck. Yes the money is to help find their daughter but they also have two other children to look after. I can't believe people would think that to use a small amount of money to make two mortgage payments is wrong.

They have both been on unpaid leave from work since this happened. They are both doctors and I know that the father could have probably gone on the sick (stress) and been paid full pay for six months. If this had happened would you complain that as a tax payer you were not happy he is being paid whilst been off in Portugal!!!

wilma-bride
10-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Not wanting to start an argument but for those of you who don't care about the money being used for their mortgage and bills, will you feel the same if it turns out they 'did' have something to do with her disappearance :confused3

Madjock
10-30-2007, 11:00 AM
My answer is yes, I will feel the same! At the end of the day, the money and how itís used to help is neither here nor there. If this couple had something to do with it then money is the least that matters, it would be yet another very sad day for humanity.

Would this stop me from offering help again? No, absolutely not!

budicesi
10-30-2007, 11:21 AM
This is just a hypothetical(sp?) question and would raise lots more arguments and would have massive consiquences if this sort of thing happened again. So for the sake of not wanting to raise and argue about something that may have or may not have happened I will leave it there.

CustardTart
10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm not shocked, just sad there's been no resolution. I particularly feel for the twins - I hope the family can ensure their upbringing isn't permanently overshadowed by this tragedy... :sad2:

Does anyone know if other families in the same situation following the disappearance of a child are entitled to access the fund - or is it just for the McCanns?

T16GEM
10-30-2007, 12:00 PM
To be perfectly honest I don't really have a problem with it, I think that the main point is that they concentrate on looking for Madeleine and the money shouldn't come into it. At the end of the day the fund is there to help with that and I think it should be used for any means necessary. I would rather them use it to pay their mortgage than see them out on the street with twins to look after in the situation that they are in.

Joanne UK
10-30-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm not shocked, just sad there's been no resolution. I particularly feel for the twins - I hope the family can ensure their upbringing isn't permanently overshadowed by this tragedy... :sad2:

Does anyone know if other families in the same situation following the disappearance of a child are entitled to access the fund - or is it just for the McCanns?

The money is just for the McCanns.

They made 2 mortgage payments using money from the fund in July and August but haven't dipped into it for their own use since they were made suspects in early September. They wanted to use it to pay for their legal fees but this was vetoed by the trustees. They've got some rich supporters though, namely Brian Kennedy - it was his house that they did the interview in for Spanish television last week.

emily1982
10-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't have a problem with it either...they've lost their child (and no-one has been found guilty yet) so you want them to loose their house to?

jtlover
10-30-2007, 12:42 PM
The only thing I would say on this is that none of us are in this situation so it is easy for everyone to make judgement!

I cant imagine what it must be like living with the nightmare everyday

Goofyish
10-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't see what the problem is either :confused3

The fund is controlled independently by trusties and in the trust rules there is provision for financial help for the McCanns. The morgage payments were stopped as soon as the McCanns were made suspects.

The fund is worth well over a £Million. The McCanns were given about £4000 to help with their mortgage payments over a couple of months.

Goofysmate
10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
The money donated should only go on looking for their daughter.
Because at the end of the day they only have themsleves to blame for leaving her.
I think that thier own familes should help them out with paying the bill not the public.
I'm sorry if this offend's other but it's the way it is.

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't have a problem with it either...they've lost their child (and no-one has been found guilty yet) so you want them to loose their house to?

I agree Emily....I find it shocking that people won't leave these poor mccanns alone...FGS..they've lost their daughter..they are living in hell..I donated money to help them in ANY way..including any living expenses...Those poor poor people..:sad2:
Iam totally and utterly covinced that they have nothing at all to do with their daughters disaperance...Iam appalled that a lot of people seem to disagree...I just don't get it:confused3

Tammy Stringer
10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
The only thing I would say on this is that none of us are in this situation so it is easy for everyone to make judgement!

I cant imagine what it must be like living with the nightmare everyday

I agree with this and Madjock's sentiments. Yes they made an horrific lapse of judgment by leaving their children alone that fateful night - but haven't they paid for it every second since?

I believe they should be treated as innocent until found guilty and I hope and pray that one day this tragedy will be over and that Madeleine will be found safe and well

Tammy

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I agree with this and Madjock's sentiments. Yes they made an horrific lapse of judgment by leaving their children alone that fateful night - but haven't they paid for it every second since?

I believe they should be treated as innocent until found guilty and I hope and pray that one day this tragedy will be over and that Madeleine will be found safe and well

Tammy

Agree Tammy...well said.:thumbsup2

oceanscape
10-30-2007, 01:41 PM
The money donated should only go on looking for their daughter.
Because at the end of the day they only have themsleves to blame for leaving her.
I think that thier own familes should help them out with paying the bill not the public.
I'm sorry if this offend's other but it's the way it is.
That disgusts me. Have you never made a mistake in your life? Do you not think the McCanns are torturing themselves every single day over what they did? Comments like yours make me sick.

I have no problems whatsoever with the use of the money. Innocent until proven guilty and despite the horrific upturn in their life, life does still go on and bills do still need to be paid.

mark&sue
10-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Aparently Gerry McCann starts work again on Thursday. I can't imagine how hard it will be for him to carry on an concentrate in his job.

Until proved otherwise I continue to have every sympathy for this family. It was not only the mcCanns that left their children alone but all 9 adults in this group. Perhaps they got lulled into a false sense of security in this resort. Such sadness :sad1:

Susan

Obi Wan Kenobi
10-30-2007, 02:49 PM

Tammy

Only if you beleive they actully had nothing to do with her dissapearance.

Somehow Murat did not have that amount of sympathy when he was accused of being the abductor. Has he had his mortgage paid by the "trustees" (which AIRC includes McCanns brother?)

emily1982
10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
No, but Murat hasn't lost a child.

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Only if you beleive they actully had nothing to do with her dissapearance.

Somehow Murat did not have that amount of sympathy when he was accused of being the abductor. Has he had his mortgage paid by the "trustees" (which AIRC includes McCanns brother?)

I really don't think you can compare murats situation with the absolute hell and suffering that the mccans are going through.
Iam ashamed to be british with the way views some people hold against a greiving family.....Its like my Dh says...he didn't realise how many cold and hard individuals were around him till its almost become a sport to pick at the mccans.

It absolutely sickens me..:sad2:

lawlesslovewdw
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
No they should not have private access to the money. It is lucky they are hard working married parents! Had this been a single parent not one ounce of sympathy would have gone her way and the country would have been in uproar.
I am sure the mortgage company would have been fully understanding and some rich fella would have dipped his hand in pocket to help them out.

The twins are never going to have a normal life now, i just wonder why they were left, if madeline was sold on, why werent her siblings taken too?

The whole thing is disturbing and i pray madeline is found safe and well and returned to here family:grouphug:

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 03:20 PM
No they should not have private access to the money. It is lucky they are hard working married parents! Had this been a single parent not one ounce of sympathy would have gone her way and the country would have been in uproar.
I am sure the mortgage company would have been fully understanding and some rich fella would have dipped his hand in pocket to help them out.

The twins are never going to have a normal life now, i just wonder why they were left, if madeline was sold on, why werent her siblings taken too?

The whole thing is disturbing and i pray madeline is found safe and well and returned to here family:grouphug:

Iam sick of this being banded about...I would have just as much sympathy if it was a poor family from a council estate.
Plus..Fact...James Bulger came from a POOR family who lived in a council flat in a very rough part of Liverpool..his mother left him outside a shop when he was 2 yrs old he sadly was kidnapped and killed.
Fact...his parents were given a very large amount of money from public donations ...they bought themselves a brand new detached house in Kirby.
i don;t remember Denise Bulger getting the public sllaughtering that Kate mccann has...in fact the whole world was united in support of this poor..working class family.

Please stop all this crap about them getting help because they are middle class doctors...if anything they are getting slagged off becuse they are doctors and not poor.

lawlesslovewdw
10-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Fact the bulgers were never accussed of having anything to do with the disapperance of their son, the money was a fund set up for the family, not to help find the missing child.

I have the deepest hope that she will be found alive, but the middle class doctor bit is starting to annoy now, they are educated people who are paying for the sheer stupidity. Making a mistake is one thing, leaving your child unattended whilst out for a meal in a foreign country where babysitters are available is not a mistake.

Obi Wan Kenobi
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
No, but Murat hasn't lost a child.

IF you beleive the McCanns then they would not have lost a child if they had not every night left three small children on their own so they could go and have fun with their friends.
No amount of wringing hands afterwards changes the facts that these people are the reason why this happened.

Madjock
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
No they should not have private access to the money. It is lucky they are hard working married parents! Had this been a single parent not one ounce of sympathy would have gone her way and the country would have been in uproar. :
This argument is not only very sad but very derogatory! I for one, and I'm sure probably the vast majority of people who offered their help', did not do so based on the fact that they were a married, hard working couple, doctors no less:rolleyes: I offered my help because there was a little girl in desperate need. And I say, hand on heart, that if that child had been with her single mum, lone dad, black, yellow, gay or lesbian parent(s) I would still offer all the help possible! how sad that people think the human race is so shallow!

There is a little girl out there who needs all the help she can get and the only way to do that is to help her parents, regardless!

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Fact the bulgers were never accussed of having anything to do with the disapperance of their son, the money was a fund set up for the family, not to help find the missing child.

I have the deepest hope that she will be found alive, but the middle class doctor bit is starting to annoy now, they are educated people who are paying for the sheer stupidity. Making a mistake is one thing, leaving your child unattended whilst out for a meal in a foreign country where babysitters are available is not a mistake.

And in this country you are innocent till proven guilty....The bulgers made a mistake leaving their toddler outside a shop...the mccans made a mistake leaving their children in bed...both families suffered terribly regardless of class.
Actually the fund for the mccanns was not just set up for finding maddie..it was also to help with the mccanns expenses...FACT.

Can you imagine if kate bought a house like denise did...their would be up roar...even if it was proven she did nothing wrong...some people don't like her BECAUSe she is a middle class doctor...i find that very sad.

Obi Wan Kenobi
10-30-2007, 03:58 PM
I really don't think you can compare murats situation with the absolute hell and suffering that the mccans are going through.
Iam ashamed to be british with the way views some people hold against a greiving family.....Its like my Dh says...he didn't realise how many cold and hard individuals were around him till its almost become a sport to pick at the mccans.

It absolutely sickens me..:sad2:

That the world is not all roses and champagne? that parents do kill their own children? that the majority of murders are carried out by persons close to the murdered person?
That some people cannot see the truth when its right in front of them?
That most people within the law enforcement profession have grave misgivings about the McCanns stories?
It sickens me that the Mccanns felt they could leave their three VERY yung children alone every night so they could go drinking with their friends and then expect everyoen to feel sorry for them !

Obi Wan Kenobi
10-30-2007, 04:01 PM
And in this country you are innocent till proven guilty....The bulgers made a mistake leaving their toddler outside a shop...the mccans made a mistake leaving their children in bed...both families suffered terribly regardless of class.
Actually the fund for the mccanns was not just set up for finding maddie..it was also to help with the mccanns expenses...FACT.

Can you imagine if kate bought a house like denise did...their would be up roar...even if it was proven she did nothing wrong...some people don't like her BECAUSe she is a middle class doctor...i find that very sad.

The Bulgers did it once and once only,
The McCanns did it by their own admission every night. THAT is a major difference.
The McCanns stayed out in Portugal right up to the point when they were suspected officially by the Police then ran back to the UK as fast as they could, What? hunting for Maddie in England are they now??

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 04:02 PM
No what sickens me is the lack of compassion from fellow "humans"....and parents to boot...imagine if it was your little lad..imagine the hell ..the pain..Its a dark soul who can't show empathy for these people...thats why I can't understand it:confused3 ...But I know we'll never agree Obi so I'll leave it at that.

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 04:07 PM
The Bulgers did it once and once only,
The McCanns did it by their own admission every night. THAT is a major difference.
The McCanns stayed out in Portugal right up to the point when they were suspected officially by the Police then ran back to the UK as fast as they could, What? hunting for Maddie in England are they now??

How do you know the Bulgers only left James the once?....It was probably the norm for Denise...I lived 5 minutes from that strand shopping cente and was actually there that day that James went missing...kids were left outside shops all the time.
So are you now going to slag of denise bulger with the venom yu have for the Mccanns repeated mistake.

Obi Wan Kenobi
10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
No what sickens me is the lack of compassion from fellow "humans"....and parents to boot...imagine if it was your little lad..imagine the hell ..the pain..Its a dark soul who can't show empathy for these people...thats why I can't understand it:confused3 ...But I know we'll never agree Obi so I'll leave it at that.

No, we won't agree. This case has polarised the whole country one side otr the other and the two side will not agree until there is an outcome one way or another.

I can't imagine it being my little lad as in the five years he has been in the world I would Never EVER leave himn in an apartment on his own for hours just to eat drink and be merry with my friends, or any other reason.
We eat with him and we eat early so he can go to bed at a normal time, we then stay in the villa. At no time whatsoever would we nor would the majority of middle class, working class or upper class parents.

many of us feel very angry at what the McCanns have done and the days leading up to this.

But as you say quite rightly, the two sides of this debate will never agree.

Obi Wan Kenobi
10-30-2007, 04:23 PM
How do you know the Bulgers only left James the once?....It was probably the norm for Denise...I lived 5 minutes from that strand shopping cente and was actually there that day that James went missing...kids were left outside shops all the time.
So are you now going to slag of denise bulger with the venom yu have for the Mccanns repeated mistake.

I am glad you agree they repeatedly did it.
I have venom for the scum who killed Jamie Bulger, the acts they carried out on the little lad and the way in which they have now been sheilded from public so they can have a normal life.

The Bulgers have never said they repeatedly left Jamie on his own, you are basing this on other stupid parents of the same mould as the McCanns (who have admitted leaving THREE chidren on their own time after time )

The slagging off based upon an assumption not the facts is in the quote above. "it was probably the norm for Denise"

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 04:24 PM
No, we won't agree. This case has polarised the whole country one side otr the other and the two side will not agree until there is an outcome one way or another.

I can't imagine it being my little lad as in the five years he has been in the world I would Never EVER leave himn in an apartment on his own for hours just to eat drink and be merry with my friends, or any other reason.
We eat with him and we eat early so he can go to bed at a normal time, we then stay in the villa. At no time whatsoever would we nor would the majority of middle class, working class or upper class parents.

many of us feel very angry at what the McCanns have done and the days leading up to this.

But as you say quite rightly, the two sides of this debate will never agree.

Yeah we'll never agree...But I must say this..I too would Never ever leave my dd7 outside a shop in an apartment ...any where alone..iam THE most protective parent going...iam quite bad...for example this saturday my dd is going to a party at the local play centre..she is almost 8 and yet I will stay..I will be the only parent to do so out of the whole class because Iam a paranoid parent.:)
but that doesn't mean I can't empathise with the mccanns because iam a compasionate person and I hope my dd will grow up to be the same and also have the ability to empathise...i can not feel any anger at all toward anyone who is suffering so terribly.

buzz182
10-30-2007, 04:24 PM
The only thing that i am shocked about is that Madeleine and the twins were left alone in the first place :sad2:

But Gerry and Kate must now live with that for the rest of their lives whether or not that poor little girl comes home. I honestly believe though in my heart of hearts they did not have anything to do with her disappearance. Stupid, Yes but not murderers.

Like alot of you have already said, bills still have to be paid. So, it really does not bother me if they have had to use some of the money to pay their mortgage, which, according to reports is about £2000 per month on their £600.000 house. I can believe that as Rothley is not that far a drive from where I live and houses there are big and expensive.

Can you imagine even thinking about going back to work, especially doing the job Gerry does, and trying to concentrate on the job? I can't.
My brother's fiancee is a nurse at the same hospital, spoke to her today and she's dreading going to work as the press are obviously going to be there but staff there are being prepared and are being spoken to e.g if they are approached by the press etc. She's not been there long as she was transferred from Leics main hospital, the LRI.

All I know is I look at my own son and could not imagine life without him and would not want my worse enemy to go through what Kate and Gerry are going through every day:guilty:

But also I NEVER EVER leave my son unattended and it sickens me to see people that STILL leave their children, e.g Like in their cars at the petrol station while they go into pay. My son comes EVERYWHERE with me even if he's fell asleep in the car and I need to get petrol, I put him over my shoulder and carry him in to pay. Yet most of these parents slag off the McGanns yet they are doing the same thing themselves. Yes, only for a few minutes, but they are still leaving their children unattended.:mad:

I just hope and pray that Madeleine is being looked after and treated well and that one day, hopefully soon, she is reunited with her family:hug:

Although, the longer it goes on, the more doubtful I become.:sad1:

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I am glad you agree they repeatedly did it.
I have venom for the scum who killed Jamie Bulger, the acts they carried out on the little lad and the way in which they have now been sheilded from public so they can have a normal life.

The Bulgers have never said they repeatedly left Jamie on his own, you are basing this on other stupid parents of the same mould as the McCanns (who have admitted leaving THREE chidren on their own time after time )

The slagging off based upon an assumption not the facts is in the quote above. "it was probably the norm for Denise"

Nah its well known that James was left to roam quite a bit...well it is round here...In fact James used to play out in the street all the time with my young cousin...as was the norm for the area....And yes i do agree that the mccans reatped their mistake But i still feel deply for them as i do for the bulgers as i do for the parents of those little boys killed on their scooters on the M56.

lawlesslovewdw
10-30-2007, 04:34 PM
I has nothing to do with the fact that she is a middle class doctor, it is what she did that annoys the other half of the nation.
I agree that people would donate money and feel just as bad about the situation no matter the parent, but where is the investigation that would follow and be demanded by the likes of us! They should be investigated for neglect, because that is what it is. The country do not make a sport out of the mccanns, it is themselves in the public eye by their own choice. There are ways of increasing public awareness, other than the ways they have chosen, they keep the limelight on themselves, i am tired of it.We ourselves donated money to find the poor little girl, we were not judging the parents but hoping that she would be found. The subsequent evidence and confessions are what have turned me.
This crap about i am hated because i am a middle class doctor is itself crap, i as a middle class environmental scientist would not leave my children alone, no matter what! That is my choice. It is an educated decision that is what makes me a responsible parent. Children are taken from their parents for their own good if the parents are not found to be fit. What may i ask if educated about leaving your children alone? People dislike her because she is supposed to be someone we look up to, who doesnt trust a doctor to do what is right. They are supposed to be the one we take our children too.

Tinker74
10-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I has nothing to do with the fact that she is a middle class doctor, it is what she did that annoys the other half of the nation.
I agree that people would donate money and feel just as bad about the situation no matter the parent, but where is the investigation that would follow and be demanded by the likes of us! They should be investigated for neglect, because that is what it is. The country do not make a sport out of the mccanns, it is themselves in the public eye by their own choice. There are ways of increasing public awareness, other than the ways they have chosen, they keep the limelight on themselves, i am tired of it.We ourselves donated money to find the poor little girl, we were not judging the parents but hoping that she would be found. The subsequent evidence and confessions are what have turned me.
This crap about i am hated because i am a middle class doctor is itself crap, i as a middle class environmental scientist would not leave my children alone, no matter what! That is my choice. It is an educated decision that is what makes me a responsible parent. Children are taken from their parents for their own good if the parents are not found to be fit. What may i ask if educated about leaving your children alone? People dislike her because she is supposed to be someone we look up to, who doesnt trust a doctor to do what is right. They are supposed to be the one we take our children too.

Your post is biazzare!!...you completely contradict yourself?:confused3

mandymouse
10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I'll tell you what's sad, that people can't post their opinion on here and leave it at that. Why is it that some people have to keep arguing, just because someone doesn't agree with you

Personally I don't have a problem with the McCann's using the fund to help with their mortgage, they haven't been working and I'm sure a lot of people are happy to help the family as well as in the hunt for Maddie

I only hope and pray that I never go through what the McCann's have gone through, and that of course Maddie is found very soon

I'm going to close this thread tonight, and once I have been in touch with Kaylee and Sue about the way this thread is heading - then I may reopen it tomorrow