PDA

View Full Version : All Stars for adults??

Dallas_Lady
02-18-2002, 09:36 AM
DH and I need to cut our trip budget and we are thinking of staying at the All Stars with our $62 DC rate. Can I get some opinions from adult travelers about the All Stars? DH is not thrilled about this choice...

Tiffany
02-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Dallas_Lady
DH and I need to cut our trip budget and we are thinking of staying at the All Stars with our $62 DC rate. Can I get some opinions from adult travelers about the All Stars? DH is not thrilled about this choice...

Hi Dallas_Lady,

My husband and I stayed at the ASSports back in 1994 and 1995. We were saving for our house at the time and every penny counted. It was fine but there are things that you just need to understand and be okay with before you arrive.

There is no sit down place to eat. Only food court. There is no lounge. There is an outside pool bar but no adult oreientated(sp?) lounge. There are no hot tubs and you cannot rent any water craft. All transportation is by bus and I believe the buses now stop at all three All Stars but I could be incorrect on that point. There is no valet parking or traditional Bell Services. The resort is set up as a motel and not a hotel as all of the rooms open onto a walkway and not an indoor hallway.

As long as you are aware of what the All Stars do and do not offer and are both okay with that before you leave then you should not have any problems.

The rooms are on the small side but for just two adults we thought they were fine.

Hope this information helps you out.

seashoreCM
02-18-2002, 04:58 PM
All Stars are nice for singles and couples too. I have stayed there many times.

If you spend all your time at the parks and Pleasure Island, you don't need so many amenities at the resort.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

juju
02-18-2002, 09:21 PM
We are two adults, no kids and love the All Stars, you really know that you are at WDW. We are now DVC members and I miss the over the top atmosphere there.

RussH
02-19-2002, 08:39 PM
On nearly all of my solo trips I stay at ASMu. Wow I think over 60 nights by now. For me it is perfect for the following reasons.
I like the food court for breakfast. 15 minutes I walk out of my room grab some food and at the bus stop.
The Singing Spirits pool bar is outside I like that. If I want a drink somewhere fancy just jump on a bus.
Pool doesn't matter never use it and resort theme is lost on me.
Really I need a Bed, Air Conditioning, TV , Decent Bus service, and a Bar.
Lastly it's price with an discount rate I can go twice as often as staying at a Mod. 28 days on an AP over 3 trips from Ohio in 12 months and averaging well under $100 a day including the AP cost is pretty good to me.
You can always split you stay between 2 types to give All Stars a try without comitting an entire trip.
RussH

LadyLt
02-22-2002, 02:52 PM
I have stayed at All Star Music or Movies seven times. I have also stayed at Port Orleans FQ, Coronado Springs, Ft. Wilderness, and the Courtyard in the Downtown Disney resorts. My daughter and I actually enjoyed All Stars, especially Movies, most. I am a single parent (of a teenage daughter) who was working on a municipal government salary. We could usually stay at the All Stars for ten days for less than $1,000.00. We then had all our extra cash for nice restaurants, extra shows, and souvenirs and gifts.

We spent most of our time at the parks. We visited many other resorts to try their special sit-down restaurants and character meals. The swimming pools were not important to us because you can swim anywhere, but you can only do Disney parks in certain areas. The All Stars gave us clean rooms, good beds, air conditioning, cable television. and a Disney gift shop. The CMs there are very nice and try to make guests happy.

I have read so many trip reports of people staying at moderate or deluxe resorts and then going to all kinds of means to save money on food and meals. If I am going to Disney, I don't want to carry food into the parks or share fast food meals. To us, that took away from the vacation atmosphere.

But to each their own desires and wants.

BTW, for the last six months I have been retired and live seven miles from WDW. Now I go home at night.

DeeP
02-22-2002, 08:31 PM
The value resorts are a great deal for the money!! The rooms are almost identical to a moderate resort room except they are a few feet smaller and do not have 2 sinks. There is not an on site sitdown restaurant but with so many great restaurants in WDW at your fingertips this is the least of your worries. The bus transportation is often better at the values than the moderates and defintely better than the bus transportation from the deluxe resorts--the deluxe resorts share bus transportation between i.e. YC, BC, BWI, BWV, Swan & Dolphin. The value resorts do not have an indoor lounge or boat & bike rentals but if you are not going to use this what is the difference?? Or if you want to rent a bike/boat or sit in an inside lounge and have a drink you have many other WDW resorts/locations to do this at. I am a DVC member and stay mostly at DVC resorts but often switch resorts on Fri & Sat nights to save the high DVC points and I have found the value resorts to be a great value for the money spent. My only complaint with the value resorts is the lack of a hot tub, but for the money I spend per night at a value resort I certainly can't compain. If I can get a moderate resort for my Fri & Sat night stays for only $10 -$20 more per night then I will take a moderate resort just because I do use & enjoy the hot tub, but for anything more than this I stick with the value resorts.

Poohbear123
02-24-2002, 06:01 PM
I always stay at Sports, and I am very happy with it! I do NOT need a spa, a lounge or a lake to rent boats, so its fine for me! If you like all that, try Coronado Springs, its nice and has a lot of extras!:D

fortwilderness
02-25-2002, 03:39 PM
I have not actually stayed at an All Star but have visited all 3 on 4 seperate resort hopping adventures. My general impression was I would never want to stay at an All Star. I saw SO many groups of unsupervised teenagers and pre-teens every time I visited the All Stars. The majority of them were very loud and running around like it was their first taste of freedom ever - which it may have very well been. I also saw multiple groups of Brazillian tour group girls in matching t-shirts chanting and singing loudly at the All Stars more than one time. I got the general impression that the All Stars is where all the large groups of teenagers must stay at WDW. Which makes sense due to the price and kid friendly atmosphere.

It is also a nightmare trying to get on the busses to leave the All Stars. The busses may come more frequently than at the other resorts but there also were more people waiting for those busses than I have encountered anywhere except at a theme park at closing. When a bus did show up it was downright cut throat to get on.

Maybe my few experiences there were not fully representative of what it is usually like at the All Stars but I could not resist sticking my two cents into this thread :) I must say that I did find all of the very positive posts about the All Stars quite surprising.

If I was on a tight budget I would check into the moderates and/or keep checking mousesavers.com for a good discount rate. I got 30% off at the Yacht Club rack rate for this June when the DC discount was only 10% by using a code found at mousesavers.

sandileigh
03-06-2002, 02:55 PM
I've stayed at both the Port Orleans French Quarter and All Star Music and there weren't too many differences. As someone else mentioned, there's only 1 sink instead of 2. The rooms are a little bit smaller. More kids. But generally, if you go expecting all that, it's not bad (I mean, who REALLY needs 2 sinks?). Really, the rooms were great and the staff very friendly. The food court was great because it was cheap.

The pool, I will not lie, did have a bunch of kids of all ages. More than once in our 7 days they had to clear the pool to clean up someone's "accident". But, to us, the pool wasn't a big deal. We went with the knowledge that the values are great for families and accepting that kids will be kids. We weren't really bothered by groups of teenages, but it might depend on when you go. And keep in mind that the value resorts aren't the only places kids go to. There were a couple of days that the pool at Port Orleans was quite full of kids and I've read in my travel book that, surprisingly, the Grand Floridian attracts many families.

We're going back to Disney in 4 weeks (the countdown is on) and almost stayed at the All Star Movies. In the end, we found a deal with a moderate level (Caribbean Beach Resort) for cheaper than what we were originally quoted for the value, so we upgraded. Had we not found the deal, though, we would have gone for the cheaper hotel and splurged on the fun we'd have in the parks.

bweagle
03-10-2002, 07:51 AM
DH & I (no kids) will be staying at ASMu this summer and here's a tip I read on Deb's site:

Since all rooms (other than handicapped rooms) come with two twin beds, push the beds together and towards the wall. This will give you more room space and a bigger bed.

Think we're going to try that as my DH is a bed HOG! :D

LadyLt
03-10-2002, 08:58 AM
The beds at the All Star resorts are not twin beds. They are full size beds. If they were pushed together, they would be a lot larger than a King size bed. But from the times that I have stayed there, I cannot remember that the night stand between them is moveable. I don't think you could push them together, though I may be wrong.

The beds have never been a problem for us. It was always my teen daughter and myself and we each had a full size bed. I have also read lots of reports of families with husband, wife, and children staying there.

Bianca

DaveH
03-10-2002, 12:26 PM
I have stayed at all 3 All Stars solo. I have been there with the tour groups and the cheerleading compition and such. Disney puts all the groups in the back of the All Stars with the rest of us towards the front. If you are looking for clean room and fun place to be and don't need sit down dinning at your hotel or a hot tub go for it. I had more trouble with the tour groups in the parks than at the hotel. I would stay there any time. I am now a DVC owner so not likely soon. I took my wife to the All Stars when we were dating for her first extended stay at WDW, not a weekend staying off property. She loved it. If you relealize you are getting a room with 2 full size beds or you can get a king but it is setup for handicap. A resort with lots of kids and a food court and use busses everywhere you should be fine.

Catzeyes
03-16-2002, 09:32 PM
My husband and I love the Jazz buildings at All Star Music. We really enjoy this hotel.

WebmasterBarry
03-17-2002, 10:14 PM
I stayed at All-Star Movies solo during DIS Con. Sure, it doesn't have a spa, sit-down restaurants, tennis court, etc., but I never use them anyway. I'm too busy at the parks! I think the room is a good size for one or two people. I think 3-5 people would find the room pretty cramped. But the rooms were clean, relatively close to the food court and the front desk, and relatively easy to get around. The only bad part was that the parking lot always seemed full at night. I had to park several buildings over to find an open space.

tink2dw
03-24-2002, 01:42 AM
Just skip A S MUSIC-JAZZ Building the bathroom has really scarey Wallpaper!! It has men all over it! One of them has an evil eye that watches everthing you do,even shower!! It creeped me out.....:eek:

mikewdw
03-27-2002, 02:42 PM
my wife and i stayed at as sports on our second trip to wdw (first trip after our honeymoon at wdw 4 yrs earlier) we really enjoyed our trip to wdw on honeymoon(pofq) but our second trip at as sports made us truly love wdw. the oversize helmets basketball, footballs etc made it truly seem like a place in a different world! walking past the 6 foot mickey each morning and nite just brought a huge smile to our faces. all of the info about smaller rooms, no sit down rest. etc are true but dont forget, it still has all of that disney magic!
mikewdw

wbk
04-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Since I'm not into wasting money on a room that I only use to sleep and shower in, I wouldn't stay anywhere else but a value resort.

ellyn2000
04-14-2002, 05:59 PM
I enjoyed the AllStars Movies very much on our last trip 11/2001 and will be staying @AllStars Music 11/2002. On our 11/2000 trip we stayed @Contemporary and honestly we were just as happy with AS---and even like the Food Court much, much better. The only sit down meal we did @Contemporary was Chef Mickeys breakfast, so it isn't a hassle to go over there when we want to do that again. The bus service was excellent---much better than expected. We do most of our sit down meals in the parks, anyway. I've seen wild teenagers and foreign speaking guests everywhere I went on every trip I've been on so far. I don't think they're all sent to one specific hotel.