PDA

View Full Version : Liquor Buys in Nassau??

PoohJen
10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
HI Everyone!

I know St. Thomas was supposed to be a good port for buying quality alcohols cheaply; when we sailed there in 2004, I also got some great flavored rums as thank you gifts for folks back home.

And yes, the duty free shop on the ship has some very good prices/sales.

But I am wondering, is the Bahamas (i.e., Nassau) also an inexpensive port for liquor? I am sailing the Wonder in December and was hoping to find some good buys for gifts.:flower3:

(yes, Hannosmom, gifts! :rolleyes1 :laughing: )

TIA!!!:cheer2:

tvguy
10-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Depends on liquor prices in your area. Price competition here is huge, so prices aren't much of a bargain for us. And these days, the big hassle is getting booze home on a plane.

PoohJen
10-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Depends on liquor prices in your area. Price competition here is huge, so prices aren't much of a bargain for us. And these days, the big hassle is getting booze home on a plane.

Here the stores are state regulated, no competition. On my last 2 cruises, I found Baileys, for example, to be significantly cheaper than in the US.

But you are right, I completely forgot about the flight home; I usually drive to Florida, but not this trip. Hmmm...need to think about this...:rolleyes1

tvguy
10-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Here the stores are state regulated, no competition. On my last 2 cruises, I found Baileys, for example, to be significantly cheaper than in the US.

But you are right, I completely forgot about the flight home; I usually drive to Florida, but not this trip. Hmmm...need to think about this...:rolleyes1

I discovered how little hard liquor we actually drink after our first cruise with a stop in Nassau in 1983.....we brought home one bottle of rum, and there are still about 3 ounces left in that bottle right now!!

I almost bought a bottle of Baileys last week at the grocery store they wanted $13 for for the small bottle, and $18 for the big one, BevMo however had the same sizes for $11 AND $16. What does Bailey's run in your area?