PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!!

ktgirl
10-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I just looked on the Disney Cruise site and it looks like we have been assigned room 1034 after booking a GTY 12 room for our upcoming cruise. I have looked at all the reviews and can't find any details on this room.

Can anyone tell me any more about it? What category is it? It looks like it might be a Cat 9. Does it have a porthole or verandah?

Thanks!
Katy

Andrew DEREK UK
10-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I just looked on the Disney Cruise site and it looks like we have been assigned room 1034 after booking a GTY 12 room for our upcoming cruise. I have looked at all the reviews and can't find any details on this room.

Can anyone tell me any more about it? What category is it? It looks like it might be a Cat 9. Does it have a porthole or verandah?

Thanks!
Katy

CAT 9-Deck 1, forward, with an outside porthole view, near medical center. Sorry no verandah.

ktgirl
10-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the quick response. Is this considered a good room? There are four of us - me, DH, DS (8) and DD (5). I can't wait!!!

Andrew DEREK UK
10-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Thank you for the quick response. Is this considered a good room? There are four of us - me, DH, DS (8) and DD (5). I can't wait!!!

Considering you booked a Cat 12, its an upgrade, so well done, all rooms are nice, enjoy your trip.

I havent been on that deck so do not know more info.

CraftyMouse
10-21-2007, 06:33 PM
It actually doesn't have one porthole, it has two, smaller portholes but yes, it is a Category 9 cabin on Deck 1. Congrats on the upgrade!

ktgirl
10-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Thank you all for the info. I am so excited!!!! We still have not told our kids anything about this surprise vacation. They will be so excited. :banana:

~Katy

jeast
10-21-2007, 06:56 PM
We stayed on deck one and enjoyed it. Very quiet, not a lot of foot traffic. You'll enjoy the porthole. Have a great trip!

ktgirl
10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Great. My DH is a little worried that we will miss out on stuff being on deck 1. I also noticed that we only have access to two elevators - forward and midship. Will this be a problem? For some reason I thought I remember people mentioning the forward elevator is always busy...

gydell
10-21-2007, 07:27 PM
You also get a split bathroom!

CraftyMouse
10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
It is the midship elevator that is usually the busiest. Being on Deck 1, however, you shouldn't have much trouble as the elevator should go all the way down to Deck 1 before going back up. I think you'll be fine. Plus the forward elevators are not busy at all. If you need to go to the aft of the ship just use the forward or midship elevators and walk to the aft on the floor you need. Simple.

You won't miss out on anything being on Deck 1. Our favorite deck is Deck 2...just above you. Every stateroom is closer to some things than others. You'll have very easy access to your stateroom once you come back aboard in the ports while those on upper decks will have to wait for the very busy elevators (they are always so busy on port days). We found this to be a great perk.

Figure it this way, if you had received the Cat. 12 you booked you'd be on Deck 2. You're now only one deck off of that so it's not that much of a difference...plus now you get the window and the split bathroom. You'll LOVE the split bathroom!

jeast
10-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Naah. It's fine. You won't even notice being away from anything. Everything's only an elevator ride away, after all. Just like the other floors but with an extra beep or two. No big deal!

It came in handy for us when our daughter became ill. Just walked her down the hall to the clinic.

Also, it's nice not to have the foot traffic. When visiting our family in another stateroom on deck 6, we noticed constant noise from foot traffic outside. The only problem is laundry. The closest laundry room was on deck 2.

I think I could sleep on the floor in the hallway and still have a terrific time. Don't sweat the room. You'll be very happy.

frdeb1999
10-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Congrats!! I think your going to love the location and deffinately the views! We were one deck above your location. But we prefer to be in this area. Very quiet and not a whole lot of people everywhere. You have easy access to quite a few things since they're only a deck or 2 up....which to me is a plus also. We loved the area so much we rebooked the same area for next year again.

ktgirl
10-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Thank you to everyone for the feedback - definitely helpful for this first time cruiser. I am so excited - woohoo!!!!! :yay: :banana: :yay:

I can't wait!

~Katy

atinkerbellmom
10-22-2007, 11:15 AM
An Up-grade:woohoo: . Just think of it this way, the lower you go, the less chance of sea sickness. Just think, you are closer to the exit for both during ports ans just two below the atrium. Many people "think" of it as the bottom of the ship, but did you know there are three decks of crew under you? So enjoy the upgrade. When you see pictures of the ship, they are the first port holes you see in the black section. The port holes are the smaller ones, not the ones that you see people post that you sit in. Besides, being closer to the atrium, it is easier for them to get your pillowcases to you. Shhhh, "Jack" & "AB" will have fun wherever they are.:hippie:

ktgirl
10-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Thank you for the nice note atinkerbellmom and even more info than I had before. I didn't realize that there were 3 more floors below us...

Jack and Abby will be so excited - maybe as excited as me!!!! :thumbsup2

~Katy

mmouse37
10-22-2007, 12:27 PM
The benefits of staying on Deck 2 or Deck 1...putting some misconceptions to rest!.

I can never understand when people say that Deck 2 is far away from everything....the opposite is actually correct (at least on DCL)....if you think about the layout of the ship and you are staying on Decks 1 or 2, the only places that you really need to take an elevator to are Decks 9 and 10....except of course if you are in a wheelchair or handicapped in some way (or just don’t like stairs)...but think...you can have that extra dessert if you walk some stairs LOL!!.

Here is a breakdown of decks....

Decks 9 and 10 - Topsiders restaurant, Mickey Pool, Goofy Pool, Adult Pool, the Vista Spa, the fast food places, Cove Café (coffee bar), the Deck Parties, Palo....if you didn’t want to hike up the stairs you can take an elevator to these decks from Deck 2 (hint...the forward elevator is almost always available and takes you right to adult pool area and spa on Deck 9).

Decks 6, 7, 8 - these are passengers decks...no cruise "activities" and you would still have to walk up 2, 3 or 4 flights to the pool deck (Deck 9) or Deck 10 for Palo, sports deck.

Deck 5 - has a some passenger cabins and the Oceaneer Club, Oceaneer Lab, Flounders and the Buena Vista movie theater (all these are only 3 flights up from Deck 2).

Deck 4 - has the Walt Disney Theater, Mickey Mates shop, Treasure Ketch shop, Studio Sea lounge, Tea with Wendy event, Shuffle Board, those great comfy Deck chairs outside, the walking/running area, Animator's Palate Dining Room, Shutters (all these are only 2 flights up from Deck 2).

Deck 3 - has Rockin Bar D (theme nights, game shows, comedy shows, nightclub acts, Bingo), Diversions Pub, Sessions Piano Bar, Promenade Lounge, Up Beat shop, Internet Cafe, Guest Services Desk, Shore Excursion Desk, The Atrium (where most of the photos ops are taken and autographs given plus the games like Chip It Golf or Frog Racing, the Captain's Cocktail Party, Martini Tasting, Till We Meet Again Party) Parrot Cay Dining Room, the Galley Tour, Lumiere's Dining Room (and I probably forgot a few activities).... (all these are only one flight up from Deck 2)

Deck 2 - has the new kids area called Ocean Quest plus passenger cabins - just walk down the hall.

And finally Deck 1 has the Medical Facility and some passenger cabins...(only one deck down).

So, saying that Deck 2 is too low and too far removed from all the activity is not correct at all....it is actually closer to MORE of everything going on onboard except for things that happen on Decks 9 and 10. In addition, Deck 2 is at least equal in distance to some things as if you were staying on Deck 6, not to mention the convenience of getting on and off the ship in ports...no waiting endlessly for the elevator to the higher decks when you come back from a hot, exhausting day of exploring the ports....just one flight up and you are “home”....priceless!!!

DCL has decorated all their passenger cabin hallways in the same fashion. You would not really know if you were stepping off the elevator onto Deck 8 or Deck 1 by the decor so don't think that the lower decks are in any way less desirable than the higher decks. Obviously if you want a veranda you need to get a cabin on the higher decks but if you are happy with an inside or an oceanview save some money and book on decks 1 or 2. None of the DCL passenger decks are below the water line (which is another misconception of cruising.

I personally love Deck 2 , Cat 9 as they have the huge portholes and I love looking out across the ocean!!!

Good luck with your decision!!

CraftyMouse
10-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I just posted these on another thread but thought you might like to see them. These are what the portholes in your cabin will look like. (Pictures found on Barb & Tony's site.)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff312/Michelemouse19/dualport2.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff312/Michelemouse19/dualport.jpg

sjlupin
10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
The benefits of staying on Deck 2 or Deck 1...putting some misconceptions to rest!.

I can never understand when people say that Deck 2 is far away from everything....the opposite is actually correct (at least on DCL)....if you think about the layout of the ship and you are staying on Decks 1 or 2, the only places that you really need to take an elevator to are Decks 9 and 10....except of course if you are in a wheelchair or handicapped in some way (or just don’t like stairs)...but think...you can have that extra dessert if you walk some stairs LOL!!.

Here is a breakdown of decks....

Decks 9 and 10 - Topsiders restaurant, Mickey Pool, Goofy Pool, Adult Pool, the Vista Spa, the fast food places, Cove Café (coffee bar), the Deck Parties, Palo....if you didn’t want to hike up the stairs you can take an elevator to these decks from Deck 2 (hint...the forward elevator is almost always available and takes you right to adult pool area and spa on Deck 9).

Decks 6, 7, 8 - these are passengers decks...no cruise "activities" and you would still have to walk up 2, 3 or 4 flights to the pool deck (Deck 9) or Deck 10 for Palo, sports deck.

Deck 5 - has a some passenger cabins and the Oceaneer Club, Oceaneer Lab, Flounders and the Buena Vista movie theater (all these are only 3 flights up from Deck 2).

Deck 4 - has the Walt Disney Theater, Mickey Mates shop, Treasure Ketch shop, Studio Sea lounge, Tea with Wendy event, Shuffle Board, those great comfy Deck chairs outside, the walking/running area, Animator's Palate Dining Room, Shutters (all these are only 2 flights up from Deck 2).

Deck 3 - has Rockin Bar D (theme nights, game shows, comedy shows, nightclub acts, Bingo), Diversions Pub, Sessions Piano Bar, Promenade Lounge, Up Beat shop, Internet Cafe, Guest Services Desk, Shore Excursion Desk, The Atrium (where most of the photos ops are taken and autographs given plus the games like Chip It Golf or Frog Racing, the Captain's Cocktail Party, Martini Tasting, Till We Meet Again Party) Parrot Cay Dining Room, the Galley Tour, Lumiere's Dining Room (and I probably forgot a few activities).... (all these are only one flight up from Deck 2)

Deck 2 - has the new kids area called Ocean Quest plus passenger cabins - just walk down the hall.

And finally Deck 1 has the Medical Facility and some passenger cabins...(only one deck down).

So, saying that Deck 2 is too low and too far removed from all the activity is not correct at all....it is actually closer to MORE of everything going on onboard except for things that happen on Decks 9 and 10. In addition, Deck 2 is at least equal in distance to some things as if you were staying on Deck 6, not to mention the convenience of getting on and off the ship in ports...no waiting endlessly for the elevator to the higher decks when you come back from a hot, exhausting day of exploring the ports....just one flight up and you are “home”....priceless!!!

DCL has decorated all their passenger cabin hallways in the same fashion. You would not really know if you were stepping off the elevator onto Deck 8 or Deck 1 by the decor so don't think that the lower decks are in any way less desirable than the higher decks. Obviously if you want a veranda you need to get a cabin on the higher decks but if you are happy with an inside or an oceanview save some money and book on decks 1 or 2. None of the DCL passenger decks are below the water line (which is another misconception of cruising.

I personally love Deck 2 , Cat 9 as they have the huge portholes and I love looking out across the ocean!!!

Good luck with your decision!!

Thanks for the great post! :thumbsup2 We have 2 connecting cat 9 rooms on deck 2. SO glad to hear that you love deck 2. Personally I am really excited about the big porthole. :goodvibes

lborne
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Here is a report on your room on the Magic. I assume the Wonder would be the same.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=1034

ktgirl
10-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Thank you to everyone for the additional information. I am very excited. I was never really considering even attempting to change rooms I just wanted to calm my DH's concerns with regard to being on Deck 1. As I mentioned, this will be our first cruise ever so we have no idea what to expect. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

~Katy

Andrew DEREK UK
10-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Thank you to everyone for the additional information. I am very excited. I was never really considering even attempting to change rooms I just wanted to calm my DH's concerns with regard to being on Deck 1. As I mentioned, this will be our first cruise ever so we have no idea what to expect. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

~Katy

Have a great cruise, enjoy.:thumbsup2