PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Swim At Cozumel

charblack
10-19-2007, 06:42 PM
We want to do the dolphin swim in Cozumel but are wondering what physical activity level is required to do the swim. Can someone tell me what happens once you arrive at the dolphin park. Do you walk to the area where you will swim with the dolphins? Do you take a boat, or do you walk on a ramp into the water? Do you bring your own snorkling gear? Any information would be appreciated.

CraftyMouse
10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
I'll tell you what I know, although this is just from research. We will be doing our Dolphin swim in December.

When you get to Chankanaab you enter and walk to the dolphin area (by the beach, I"m not sure how far it is from the main entrance. There is a long dock that you will walk down until you get to the section for your swim. There are stairs leading down to another platform that is submerged in the water. From the pictures I have seen it looks like an average-sized adult would be about waist-deep in the water when standing on it (although this may be affected by the tide).

For the swim itself it depends on which one you reserve. If you go with the DCL excursion it is just an encounter and not physically challenging. The Royal Dolphin Swim (must be booked independently) involves being pulled through the water and doing a frontal float while the dolphins swim up behind you and push you out of the water by your feet.

You won't need snorkel gear. At least one of the programs does use masks but they will provide these for you.

Hope that helps.

sdaniel105
10-20-2007, 12:02 AM
We did this Dolphin Swim a few years back with our two sons (now 14 and 11).

You enter the park have a short walk to the check in for the Dolphin Swim. From there you walk out on some high docks that surround the dolphin pens. You walk to your designated area with the staff member. From there you walk down steps to the platform in about 3' of water. You stand on that platform to be introduced to your dolphin. After probably 20-30 minutes on the platform you move into the center of the pin and they allow the dolphin to swm around and interact with the group.

We brought our own gear, but I belive it is included in the price as are wetsuits.

Hope you enjoy. We did.

Sean

California Screamin
10-20-2007, 07:36 AM
We did this Dolphin Swim a few years back with our two sons (now 14 and 11).

We brought our own gear, but I belive it is included in the price as are wetsuits.

Hope you enjoy. We did.

Sean

We didn't have wetsuits, I think you mean lifejackets.

California Screamin

sdaniel105
10-20-2007, 02:45 PM
You could be right. Maybe I am thinking about Discovery Cove.

The park is nice. When my wife and I return to Cozumel this Dec we are just going to hang out a the park for the day.

Sean

Andrew DEREK UK
10-20-2007, 02:47 PM
We did it in 2002, as above you walk along piers over the sea and then walk in down steps on a ledge below the water level, lifejackets on, small kids might not touch the bottom, I had to hold my son all the time.

Do not take cameras or video cameras in with you, sea water corrodes.

brendalee59
10-20-2007, 08:10 PM
We did the Royal Swim this past November. Chankanaab Park has been rebuilt after the hurricane and is beautiful. You pay the park fee and enter the park. You proceed to the check in counter and check in. Your trainer will come get you and take you for orientation and fit you with a swim vest. Then they will tell you what to do and not to do with the dolphins. With the Royal Swim you get to interact with two dolphins. As stated, you walk out onto the long pier till you get to the area your dolphins are located. You walk down steps to a metal platform( water shoes are recommended) You are introduced to your dolphins, and get and give a kiss. They sing for you, shake hands, and you get to have a water fight with them. The highlight however, is the dorsel pull, and the toe push. You can purchase pictures and the DVD. They will bargin so don't be afraid to ask for a lower price. We loved it! Can't wait to go back and do it again. Hope this helped.
Brenda

California Screamin
10-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Do not take cameras or video cameras in with you, sea water corrodes.[/QUOTE]

Get a disposable waterproof camera. We took some great pictures of each other being pulled by the dolphin. Buy it at home and take it on your cruise, they are spendy on the ship.

California Screamin

charblack
10-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks to all the great information on what to expect on the dolphin swim at Cozumel - I'm excited!