PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Shock

Mickey28
10-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I am new to the DCL board. We usually go to WDW, but we are looking to do something different. I was on the DCL website looking at a cruise for late next year and for a family of two adults, a 10yo, a 6 yo and a 2yo they are quoting me $6500:scared1: for a 7 day Eastern. Is this the best we can do or am I missing something here? That's twice what I just paid for our vacation to WDW a couple of weeks ago including food and shopping.

Windy City Heather
10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
If you are looking at going during the holiday's or if you have a higher cat. cabin yes that could be your price.

owensjro
10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Most people find that doing two lower category staterooms is better than doing a family suite if you have 5 people. I would suggest you look at other options such as that.

Jim

PurplePrincess4
10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Is that 1 or 2 staterooms? Which Category? It does seem like a lot for 1 but it depends on if it is Holiday pricing and which category.

I am new to the DCL board. We usually go to WDW, but we are looking to do something different. I was on the DCL website looking at a cruise for late next year and for a family of two adults, a 10yo, a 6 yo and a 2yo they are quoting me $6500:scared1: for a 7 day Eastern. Is this the best we can do or am I missing something here? That's twice what I just paid for our vacation to WDW a couple of weeks ago including food and shopping.

coastgirl
10-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Yikes. I wouldn't be going at that price...:eek:

Depends on lots of things, of course. "Late next year"--Christmas or Thanksgiving will be top-end, while early Dec could end up being very different. 5 makes it harder too, you either need an expensive category or two cheaper cabins. But let's say you got the deal we got, 2nd week of Dec, 7 nts. Two cat 12 gtys (to accommodate 5) on our sailing, $599 x 4 (for the first two in each cabin) + 1 x $499 (3rd person in cabin is cheaper) =$2900. Plus taxes/fees, but that was only about $60 pp for us. That deal was a very good one, as I understand, but it's the right time of year to get a deal. A lot of people on our cruise booked at higher rates and then "converted" when the deal came out. HTH.

Good luck!

frdeb1999
10-19-2007, 01:43 PM
You can deffinately get a bit cheaper if you do connecting cabins in a lower catagory. We book on Deck 2...cat 9 and are very happy with the accomodations and location. Not to mention the amount of money you save. And you have not 1 bathroom, but two with extra space for everyone. You also have to realize in the price all your meals, snacks and most beverages are included. Along with entertainment, shows and characters.

bigferrell
10-19-2007, 02:57 PM

You should call a Travel Agent and get a quote. You would be surprised at the prices they can give you as compared to the DCL site.

Joel110
10-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Also, The DCL website automatically adds travel insurance and transfers. You must "Deselect" the insurance and transfers if you do not want them through Disney. You can save on these items if you purchase them on your own.

Quick pricing and I came up with $4800 for Two Cat. 10 cabins (2A, 1C in one cabin and 2A in other cabin). Also, a lot of Travel Agencies offer room credits or other incentives. Dreams Unlimited has $50 Credit per Stateroom ($100 total), but you may be able to negotiate something better.

HFC1969
10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Easter 08 is $7800 for 3 of us.. without air or anything just cruise..

But its worth it!!!!

tvguy
10-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Okay, I must be odd, because, no that doesn't shock me. Granted, we cruised a premium week, New Years week 2003/04, booked a year in advance, paid $6800 for just the cruise, category 10 for 4 (2 adults, 2 kids, but considered adults by Disney). We did get a "free" upgrade at the last minute to a category 6. With air fare, transfers and hotel the night before, that trip cost us $9,000. By comparison, the year before we got an outside stateroom on HAL's Amsterdam to Alaska for the same group of 4 for $3800, so yes, Disney is much more expensive. And this year, we did NCLAmerica 7 days to Hawaii for 5 for $5600, granted we got less than with Disney, but for every dollar in added value Disney gives you, they charge about two dollars extra.

Mickey28
10-19-2007, 05:01 PM
The cruise was for Nov. 8th but the site defaults me to a Cat. 4 Deluxe Family Stateroom. Our children are 10yrd, 6yrs and 1. Unless the rooms are connecting I wouldn't feel comfortable with them in a room alone.
The $6500 did not include air which we don't need anyway.
I guess I'll have to use a TA because the site will not let me choose any other type of stateroom.

Grandma4ever
10-19-2007, 05:16 PM
The cruise was for Nov. 8th but the site defaults me to a Cat. 4 Deluxe Family Stateroom. Our children are 10yrd, 6yrs and 1. Unless the rooms are connecting I wouldn't feel comfortable with them in a room alone.
The $6500 did not include air which we don't need anyway.
I guess I'll have to use a TA because the site will not let me choose any other type of stateroom.

You will need to book one room with either two or three in it. It must include one adult. Then you have the option to add an additional stateroom and you add one for the remaining persons. To find out if there are any connecting rooms you will need to call DCL but if you play on the web site first, you will have a good idea what to expect with the cost.

Two connecting room is much better than 1 cat 4. That way you have two bathrooms. You can ask the stateroom attendent for a door stop to keep the doors open. If the shut you can not open both of them. We just extended the deadbolt to keep them from shutting. Good luck.

CraftyMouse
10-19-2007, 05:56 PM
To expand on what Grandma4ever said...

Go to the DCL site. Book one room for one adult and two children.
At the next screen choose the category cabin you'd like. Catgories 10-12 are inside (no natural light), Categories 8-9 offer a porthole and Categories 5-7 offer a verandah.
At the next screen there will be an option at the botto to book another cabin. Select this.
Book the next cabin for one adult and one child.
Continue through the next screen until you get to the one that shows Dining Times, Port Transportation and Insurance costs.
There is also an option to Choose a Specific Cabin
Go through this option with both cabins to get connectin cabins. On the deck plans they will have small, black diamonds over the connecting wall to show which cabins connect.
If there are no connectors showing you'll have to call DCL to see if there is anything open, but at least the website will give you an accurate quote.
Make sure to de-select Port Transfer or Insurance costs if you do not want them.

Hope that helps.

grumpymakesmehappy
10-19-2007, 08:08 PM
worth every penny! JK. Try booking the lowest category available and your price should go down. Seriously, don't rule out the cruise . It's great.

pixie08
10-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Cat 4 is a verandah wich means you have a balcony and a much higher price tag. Try booking cat 8 or 9. This is an ocean view rooms.

it has a queen bed, a sofa bed and a bunk that pulls out of the wall I believe, this may suit your family for a whole lot less $$$$

mmouse37
10-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Cat 4 is a verandah wich means you have a balcony and a much higher price tag. Try booking cat 8 or 9. This is an ocean view rooms.

it has a queen bed, a sofa bed and a bunk that pulls out of the wall I believe, this may suit your family for a whole lot less $$$$

The OP would need two of any other cabin other than a Cat 4...the Cat 8 or 9's as you suggest only sleep a max of 4 regardless of the age of the youngest cruiser.

Grandma4ever
10-20-2007, 11:52 AM
The OP would need two of any other cabin other than a Cat 4...the Cat 8 or 9's as you suggest only sleep a max of 4 regardless of the age of the youngest cruiser.

However, I know for a fact that two Cat 9's are way less than 1 cat 4 and twice the room. The OP would need to book far enough in advance to get connecting rooms but when we did it it was more than 1,000 dollars less than the one Cat 4.

txSleepingBeauty
10-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I just played around in dcl's website--

2 cat 11's right next to each other-
$4518 for that cruise, they may not be connecting though.

you can definitely go cheaper than that original $6500!!

WendyinNC
10-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I would love to take my 4 kids on a cruise. Is it possible to book two cabins for 1 adult and 4 children or does there have to be an adult in each cabin?

happymommy
10-20-2007, 04:08 PM
I believe there has to be one adult per cabin - sorry! But maybe you have a relative or friend? I think 18 is adult but I may be wrong.

tvguy
10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I believe there has to be one adult per cabin - sorry! But maybe you have a relative or friend? I think 18 is adult but I may be wrong.

Yes, one adult over 18 required in each cabin. (better than some lines, they require one adult over 25 in each cabin)

Mom24Princesses
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I knew before I started looking that DCL runs about 2X WDW.

For us in 4/06 the cruise was over $7000. (2 cat 10s) around $2200 for all the extas including getting there and back.

WDW 2007 - 8 nights, PHs with DDining was @$5000.

April 2008 DCL is over $8000 cruise (2 cat 10s again) @$2500 for extras.

We never saw BINGO, drank very little, NO DCL excursions :confused3
IT WAS THE BEST VACATION WE'VE EVER HAD. THAT IS WHY WE ARE WILLING TO SPEND @$10,000 on a vacation when we could be buying our oldest DD a car.

lenzs4
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Disney has cat. 12 on sale for Dec 1 - 8 and Dec 8 - 15

for family of 2 = 1309
For family of 4 = 2455

that is without transfers and insurance

LisaBi
10-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Here's another vote for 2 connecting cabins in a lower category. Yes, you give up the verandah, but is that worth $1000 or more? We did connecting cat 9's last year for a lot less than a cat 4.

Footnotegirl
10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Two cabins are definitely bigger and cheaper than any single cabin that could hold all of you.

Also keep in mind that unlike WDW, the cruise covers not only lodging, but also food and transportation. When you go to WDW, you still have to pay for your food (and it likely isn't going to be three full plated multi-course meals, + snacks, + soft drinks, + buffets like it will be on the cruise) and you are staying in one area, rather than traveling to >/= 3 beautiful tropical areas. Also, multiple hours of professional childcare. Roll those costs in, and the cruise comes out to be a very fair price.