PDA

View Full Version : Ugly renovations at the Poly noticed on 2/13

lab001
02-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I am just back from 7 fabulous nights at the WL. On 2/13 we went to the Poly for a great dinner at the Kona Cafe and then stepped out to watch the fireworks at MK. It was a great evening.

However, we had thought about staying at the Poly and had decided not to because of the price. Boy, am I gald that we didn't stay there this trip! When we arrived at the Poly the fountains outside were all drained and very ugly yellow "caution" tape was around much of the area. The fountain inside had a big ugly brown cloth draped over it and many of the water pipes were exposed. Now, the rest of the resort was fabulous. But the initial entrance left much to be desired. Some people might not be bothered by this, but if I had paid the price to stay at this hotel I would have been upset every time I came into the lobby. It really had lost it's magic.

I am not sure if this is a lengthy renovation, or if it was fixed in a day or two....If this sort of thing bothers you, you might want to call and ask if the renovations in the entrance and lobby are completed so that you are not dissapointed when you first arrive to check in.

smjj
02-17-2002, 11:14 AM
Lab001:
When a resort is open 365 day a years, repairs need to be made sooner or later. This is true at the GF the CR or any other resort for that matter. It is unfair to not realize that. This is a slow time for them and probably the right time to do these kinds of repairs. Many other attractions at WDW are closed for repairs at slow times also..smjj

Rock'n Robin
02-17-2002, 12:02 PM
The first time we stayed at the Poly they were renovating the whole outside of the great ceremonial house--had barriers up, etc.--but when you are inside that resort, you don't really notice the little things like that.
Last year at BWV they had scaffolding all over the place, but we still had our best vacation ever..until next time!!
Robin M.
Poly 6/2000
BWV 6/2001
Poly 12/2001
BWV/Poly/VWL 7/2002

mirlow
02-17-2002, 01:29 PM
We were there the last week in January and the fountain was closed then. I have to admit I was a little dissapointed:( There is something about walking into the GCH and hearing the fountain. I would never cancel my reservations because of that. You can always just go outside and see how beautiful the rest of the resort is:D

Nicki
02-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info, Lab001 :) I appreciate knowing ahead of time if a major rehab is taking place at a resort.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the Wilderness Lodge. We love it too!

I understand completely what you mean about the rehabs making an impact on the magic of a resort stay. I agree that walking into the lobby entrance, expecting to be enveloped in that tropical theming and all you have envisioned, and finding instead, drained fountains and an extensive lobby rehab would definitely take away from that magic FOR ME. Obviously, for others, it doesn't matter ;) That's OK. What is important for one person isn't necessarily important to another.

By the way, I read your post about your bruises from the WL bedposts, LOL! After all of our stays there, we still come home bandaged up each year :rolleyes:

Glad you had a great time!
Nicki

disneyag
02-17-2002, 02:34 PM
There's a reason that January and February are part of "Value" season. You can expect more things to be renovated and more rides to be down. Think of how awful it would be if they never renovated anything! Then we'd all be complaining about that. The Poly is a beautiful hotel. Check it out during your next visit.

mattlm
02-17-2002, 08:27 PM
Just back today from the Poly. The fountain (inside and out front) is still under renovation but they did hang blinds on 2/14. Not as nice as the fountain but not bad. As much time as they spent on the blinds, I'm betting it's going to be there for a while.

epcotfan
02-18-2002, 12:34 AM
Renovations and repairs are to be expected during the off season. I'd rather pay a little less and face fewer crowds and have to deal with the occasional eyesore. I'm glad to hear Disney is still performing maintenance on things we take for granted like, fountains, exteriors, etc...

CHIEF TONGA
02-18-2002, 12:01 PM
I read on another thread that somone had called and spoke with a cm and was told the work wouldnt be done till early May.

Candlelady
02-19-2002, 08:57 AM
We visited the Poly for breakfast the week of the 11th and spoke to a CM about the fountain. He stated that the pumps were broken and Disney cannot locate the replacement parts needed because they are not made any longer. He did not know when they would be fixed.

We stayed at WL and visited the deluxe resorts for (hopefully) future visits. The Poly is the only other resort we really liked enough to consider. It had a warm comfortable feeling like the WL. Totally different resorts, but the only 2 we felt we would be happy with. The CM's at these 2 were also the friendliest and most helpful in our opinion.