PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo, The Northern Lights/Golden Compass Film is out!!

pokemon_master
10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
http://www.backlottalk.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/13/golden_compass_ver2.jpg

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10714;3/st/20071205/e/The+Golden+Compass%21/dt/5/k/27d5/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

I'm Getting So Excited over the Film that most people doesn't know that it exists! :rotfl: It may have something to do with the fact that my flatmates know of the Book as well as the film's existance now, so we are going to go and see it. :thumbsup2 This is in addition to my friends and my family as well!!! :lmao:

Oh and to prove I am a REAL freak, i'm getting my friends to get me an alethiometer too.. :lmao: I hope you guys are as much of a freak as I am!!! :rotfl:

P.s. Yahoo have the global trailer on their site :yay: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718640/info

mandymouse
10-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Sorry Matt, I haven't heard of it - though I hope you enjoy it when it comes out :thumbsup2

Mandy :)

Strommie
10-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Never heard of it Matt. Hope you really enjoy it when you go to see it :thumbsup2

Latte Lover
10-16-2007, 09:41 AM
I definately want to see this when it comes out. The books are brilliant - I've just started to read the third one.

pokemon_master
10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
OK I had to run to a lecture but I can give you more stuff for you now that I am back.. :)

The Original Book is called Northern Lights, by Philip Pullman, though it's called the Golden Compass in America, hence the title of the film. :) I've read all the Books and am looking forward to the film. :dance3:

The Film's Website is www.goldencompassmovie.com , and it has tons of Interactive things to do. They have a small Version of an Alethiometer, information on the characters, wallpapers and downloads, and a quiz to Find your inner Daemon (those who have read the books will know what I am on about). Mine is a Hare called Meida.. :)

His Dark Materials.org (a Fan Site) have a Fully functioning Alethiometer Program which I've downloaded (I'm not sad, honest! :rotfl: ) in case anyone is interested: http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/features/alethiometer . It's Pretty Cool, and it works as well!!! :woohoo:

And Speaking of Which, on the day before Halloween, they are releasing Various Merchandising related to the Film. Yes, I know it sounds strange.. :rotfl: Here are some pictures of some of the merchandise: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/tf2007/corgi.shtml . My Best Friend is getting me my own Real Life Alethiometer for Christmas.. :woohoo:

That's all for now.. ;) If you have anything to add to what I just said, go for it! :)

Sorry Matt, I haven't heard of it - though I hope you enjoy it when it comes out :thumbsup2

Never heard of it Matt. Hope you really enjoy it when you go to see it :thumbsup2

You guys aren't the first to say that.. :lmao: But I would Reccomend the Books, and therefore the films, to anyone! :thumbsup2

I definately want to see this when it comes out. The books are brilliant - I've just started to read the third one.

Well Done!! :thumbsup2 This I what I want to see People!! :yay: :lmao:

Chilly
10-16-2007, 10:34 AM
I have heard of the film and we own all the books. I haven't read them yet but DBF is a big fan. I am looking forward to the film as the trailer looks really good.

wideeyes
10-16-2007, 12:08 PM
I have the books (much better than Harry Potter books IMO) I did not know that there was a film coming out though.

jjpenguin
10-17-2007, 02:48 AM
I've still got the books on my shelf waiting to be read.

What do you think Matt, should I read the book before seeing the film or after?

jockey
10-17-2007, 02:52 AM
http://www.backlottalk.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/13/golden_compass_ver2.jpg

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10714;3/st/20071205/e/The+Golden+Compass%21/dt/5/k/27d5/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

I'm Getting So Excited over the Film that most people doesn't know that it exists! :rotfl: It may have something to do with the fact that my flatmates know of the Book as well as the film's existance now, so we are going to go and see it. :thumbsup2 This is in addition to my friends and my family as well!!! :lmao:

Oh and to prove I am a REAL freak, i'm getting my friends to get me an alethiometer too.. :lmao: I hope you guys are as much of a freak as I am!!! :rotfl:

P.s. Yahoo have the global trailer on their site :yay: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718640/info

Matt, I can't wait for this to come out, I read the book on the way to Orlando in 2003!

Can't ask anyone to get me an alethiometer though as I can't pronounce it LOL!:rotfl:

Minniespal
10-17-2007, 03:27 AM
Haven't heard of this film, hope you enjoy it though Matt:)

pokemon_master
10-17-2007, 05:29 AM

What do you think Matt, should I read the book before seeing the film or after?

JJ I Think it honestly doesn't matter, though what I think is if you read it first you get to shout loudly in the cinema "That Didn't happen!!" or "No, that's not what happened at all!" etc. :rotfl: My Friend is Waiting for the Film to come out before he reads all the books, if that helps. :thumbsup2

Do Note that (Apparantly) the last three chapters of the first book have been moved to the Second book's Start for the movie. I have no idea why since it made more sense leaving them as they were... :confused: But I'm not a Director and Philip Pullman is happy with it..

Matt, I can't wait for this to come out, I read the book on the way to Orlando in 2003!

Can't ask anyone to get me an alethiometer though as I can't pronounce it LOL!:rotfl:

:lmao: Apparantly it's Pronounced as al-eeth-ee-OM-et-er but I always say it as Eth-el-o-me-ter. I don't care how THEY say it, I'm saying it this way.. :lmao:

jockey
10-17-2007, 06:54 AM
:lmao: Apparantly it's Pronounced as al-eeth-ee-OM-et-er but I always say it as Eth-el-o-me-ter. I don't care how THEY say it, I'm saying it this way.. :lmao:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

pokemon_master
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Step back, here comes complaint number one.. :rotfl:

If anyone has seen the Trailer, you'll notice they say "Golden Compass", instead of "Alethiometer". Not ONCE in the Books did they ever Say "Golden Compass", excluding the name of the American Book. Hopefully, it'll just be because they want to assosciate all things with the film's title in the trailer and just dubbed over it, as apposed to giving people who haven't seen the Film new information. :thumbsup2

If I find out they leave it in the film, I won't be happy.. :furious: :lmao:

pokemon_master
10-19-2007, 06:48 AM
I got an alethiometer.. :woohoo: OK it's on my Signiture but it's good enough!! :lmao:

Graeme
10-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Sorry Matt, I haven't heard of it

Never heard of it Matt.

Haven't heard of this film

Ladies, get reading these books. They really are worth it:thumbsup2

pokemon_master
10-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Something we both agree on Graeme! :thumbsup2 :lmao:

Dimplenose
10-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to see this. As I mentioned in a previous thread although I found the books gripping (and I agree they're much better written than Harry Potter) I also found them very sad.

I always used to try and read a book before I saw a film until I saw Chocolat - it was a great film. I then read the book which was a very good book but had very little in common with the film. If I'd read the book first I'd have found the film very disappointing as it was I enjoyed both.

Libby

P.S. The aletiometer isn't really a compass at all - I think Northern Lights was a much more approprite title.

pokemon_master
10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
And It's 42 Days (7 weeks) ....now :lmao:

pokemon_master
10-24-2007, 10:43 AM
OK For Future Reference there are 7 days in a week, not 6. :thumbsup2

...... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

OK, so there is 6 weeks to go, not 7. :thumbsup2 Roll Credits!

pokemon_master
10-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Look what I got today:

http://www.darkmaterials.com/bod1-1.jpg

This is the companion book to the whole series, and tells a small story about Lyra after the Amber Spyglass. :thumbsup2 It's Really neat, and has extra things in it as well, such as a Map of the parallel Oxford in Lyra's World. :thumbsup2 And it's only a Fiver! Well Worth it. :)

pokemon_master
10-27-2007, 09:38 AM
P.s. They are also making two other Companion Books. One is called "The Book of Dust", which will be most of the Characters in the Series, and another called "Once apon the time in the north" which will be about Lee Scoresby and Iorek. Roll on these new books! :woohoo:

cstokell
10-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I am really looking forward to the film.

I have just started to read the 3rd book following Matt's previous post about these books.

Dimplenose
10-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I saw the trailer at the pictures yesterday. It does look good, I may change my mind and go and see it.

Libby

pokemon_master
11-01-2007, 04:39 PM
:yay: WOOHOO Five Weeks to go! :yay:

A Bit of news: If my Sources are Correct, there should be the merchandise for the film out now. If anyone is going out, could someone have a look and maybe post a piccie if they find anything? Thanks! :goodvibes Now I have to inform my friends that I was being Serious about getting an Alethiometer for Christmas.. :lmao:

I am really looking forward to the film.

I have just started to read the 3rd book following Matt's previous post about these books.

:yay: Well Done. :thumbsup2

I saw the trailer at the pictures yesterday. It does look good, I may change my mind and go and see it.

Libby

Yes, One person converted.. :woohoo: :lmao: Now for the rest :thumbsup2

I still have to see the trailer.. :headache: I have seen it online but I just want to see it on TV/the cinema so I can go "OMG I SAW IT!" :scared1: :lmao:

pokemon_master
11-02-2007, 06:03 AM
Play.com have shown that the release date is Saturday the 10th of November. :thumbsup2 And have a list of golden compass merchandise:

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=GADG&searchstring=golden+compass&page=search&pa=search

Enjoy! :thumbsup2

pokemon_master
11-05-2007, 02:10 AM
:cool1: WOOHOO, A Month till this comes out! :cool1:

Anyone got their tickets yet? :lmao: ;)

pokemon_master
11-07-2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.speedyadverts.com/SAGIFS/assets/images/10penguin1.gif Woohoo, 4 weeks left!! http://www.speedyadverts.com/SAGIFS/assets/images/10penguin1.gif

I am going out this weekend so I'll let you know if I do get to see that alethiometer.. :lmao: Not that I erm.. want one or anything :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

pokemon_master
11-08-2007, 02:48 AM
A Website is offering Replica Alethiometers from the film itself. Have a look:

http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=NN1764&catid=58

However don't expect it to be cheap.. $200.00! :scared1: (ABout 100 in our money, still kinda expensive!)

Eeyore's Tailfinder
11-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Woohoo! I found another person who is excited about this movie and actually *heard* of it :laughing:

I can't wait for it to come out, ever since I heard they were going to make one around 3 years ago. Philip Pullman is one of my favourite authors, and he's a really nice guy too. Last Christmas, my DBF emailed him (behind my back) and Philip sent him around 5 different autographs, all on paper stating 'from the desk of Philip Pullman' - and my DBF framed them for me. It was my favourite gift :teeth: I'll have to take a photo after I get home!

I love the end of the Amber Spyglass - it's so sad. I have Lyra's Oxford too! I bought it when I worked in WH Smiths about 3 years back :)

pokemon_master
11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
WOOHOO 3 WEEKS LEFT!

And I STILL haven't seen the trailer yet!!! :lmao:

Woohoo! I found another person who is excited about this movie and actually *heard* of it :laughing:

I can't wait for it to come out, ever since I heard they were going to make one around 3 years ago. Philip Pullman is one of my favourite authors, and he's a really nice guy too. Last Christmas, my DBF emailed him (behind my back) and Philip sent him around 5 different autographs, all on paper stating 'from the desk of Philip Pullman' - and my DBF framed them for me. It was my favourite gift :teeth: I'll have to take a photo after I get home!

I love the end of the Amber Spyglass - it's so sad. I have Lyra's Oxford too! I bought it when I worked in WH Smiths about 3 years back :)

I am soooo Jealous about those autographs.. :lmao: Can I have one? :teeth: (Make that out to eBay? :lmao: )

Eeyore's Tailfinder
11-14-2007, 08:45 AM
WOOHOO 3 WEEKS LEFT!

And I STILL haven't seen the trailer yet!!! :lmao:

I am soooo Jealous about those autographs.. :lmao: Can I have one? :teeth: (Make that out to eBay? :lmao: )

I bet if you contacted him, he'd make something out to you! He's sooo nice :teeth:

pokemon_master
11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I bet if you contacted him, he'd make something out to you! He's sooo nice :teeth:

Here's hoping. :thumbsup2

Graeme
11-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Saw the trailer on FX today. It looks good. I hope they don't slash too much out to fit into a two hour film though.

pokemon_master
11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Hey guys..........

:woohoo: I FINALLY SAW THE TRAILER!!!!!! :woohoo:

Now my life is complete. :cloud9: :lmao:

Saw the trailer on FX today. It looks good. I hope they don't slash too much out to fit into a two hour film though.

Graeme, I heard that the Final Three Chapters have been Removed from the film apprantly to make it flow better into the 2nd film. I thought it was OK the way it was but I dunno. It'll be nice to see how it ends.. :thumbsup2

pokemon_master
11-28-2007, 06:34 AM
:cool1: 1 WEEK LEFT!!! :cool1:

I left this celebration left on purpose so I could built up excitement! :) It's one week left. I still haven't found an alethiometer at all, but last night was the Golden Compass World Premiere. I wasn't invited unfortunately, I guess they must of forgotten? :confused3 :lmao: But I saw it on the news.

When is everyone going to see it? I am going to go as soon as possible with my family, and then, me and my friends are going to meet up to exchange our secret santa presents so I will go again to see it with them. :rotfl2: And maybe a third time, too! :lmao:

Ware Bears
11-29-2007, 05:50 PM
I bought these books for my eldest DD a few years ago and she has raved about them ever since, so the rest of us are now reading like mad before we go to see the film. Ever seen a book with 4 bookmarks in it? :lmao: :lmao:

Probably book tickets tomorrow.

pokemon_master
11-30-2007, 07:49 AM
News: The Film has a rating. It's PG :thumbsup2

I bought these books for my eldest DD a few years ago and she has raved about them ever since, so the rest of us are now reading like mad before we go to see the film. Ever seen a book with 4 bookmarks in it? :lmao: :lmao:

Probably book tickets tomorrow.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I need to get my tickets booked too! :thumbsup2

Ware Bears
12-01-2007, 06:23 PM
If you go on to the film website here (http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/) you can find out what your own daemon would be. Mine is a fox called Aerodon ~ yay, I love foxes so how apt is that!! :thumbsup2

pokemon_master
12-02-2007, 02:54 AM
Sorry for not updating the day thingy; I was out for most of yesterday and got no time to do it.

Elaine - Thanks for the link! My Daemon's Name is Palegia and is a Snow Goose. :)

pokemon_master
12-04-2007, 02:48 AM
:music:
:rolleyes1 Tommorrow, Tommorrow
Can't Wait for, Tommorrow
Tomorrow's a Day Awaaaaay :rolleyes1
:music:

Strommie
12-04-2007, 06:08 AM
I get the impression you're a little bit excited Matt?? :yay:

Chilly
12-04-2007, 07:16 AM
I can't go tomorrow as DBF has got a job interview on Thursday and so wants to stay in the night before.

pokemon_master
12-05-2007, 03:02 AM
:yay: IT'S OUT!!! :yay:

Anyone that is going soon, please give a review of the film for us (hiding any spoilers for those yet to go see or even read the book). Thanks. :)

I get the impression you're a little bit excited Matt?? :yay:

What makes you think that? :rolleyes1 :lmao: :yay:

I can't go tomorrow as DBF has got a job interview on Thursday and so wants to stay in the night before.

It's OK. :) It'll still be there. :goodvibes

Chilly
12-06-2007, 03:39 AM
So how was it Matt?

Ware Bears
12-06-2007, 06:22 AM
I won't be going until Saturday 15th so looking forward to reading some reviews on here before then. :goodvibes

pokemon_master
12-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Here we are, a Review!! :goodvibes

For Someone Who has read the books, I enjoyed how they managed to tell the story to someone else. They managed to explain the major concepts of the film in less than 5 minutes, and managed to explain gaps in my own knowledge!! :thumbsup2

The only downside is what I am putting in White, so highlight if you dare.

It is annoying how the changed the order of the whole movie, and even the ending too. I was saying for awhile "That didn't happen!" and "No, it's not called ___" etc while they were talking through.

Despite all the film's flaws, it was a good experience, and if it managed to convert people who had zero knowledge of the books at all to His Dark Materials, you know it's good! :goodvibes

Ware Bears
12-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm going to see it this weekend so won't read your highlighted part until afterwards.

I really enjoyed the book so I'm looking forward to watching the film. I've now started The Subtle Knife which I'm enjoying even more. :)

wideeyes
12-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I am thinking of giving it a miss ~ I am a book person so don't think I will enjoy someone else interpretation of it. I too will be like "no thats is not right" lol:rotfl:

Ware Bears
12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Matt, I agree entirely with your highlighted comments ~ yesterday I was really annoyed :rotfl: but today I realise it probably did help the film flow better for those who haven't read the book and (hopefully) set the scene for the next film.

I'm glad I went to see it, I really enjoyed it ~ I'm pleased they managed to get some of the quotes from the book in and now I want a daemon of my own more than ever!!! :rotfl2:

Dimplenose
12-17-2007, 01:48 AM
I saw it last night and thought it was OK. DH who hasn't read the books enjoyed it more than I did. I found the story telling bits rather annoying, but I suppose it was the only way to get so much info into a relatively short film. My biggest problem though was that I didn't warm to the child actors playing Lyra and Roger, so didn't really care what happened to their characters.

The ending was a bit cheeky though, I suppose they didn't change it but ...

All in all I'll give it 7/10, it was a pleasant evening out.

I'm glad I saw it - thanks Matt I wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't been raving about it.

Libby

pokemon_master
12-18-2007, 04:38 AM
I'm glad I went to see it, I really enjoyed it ~ I'm pleased they managed to get some of the quotes from the book in and now I want a daemon of my own more than ever!!! :rotfl2:

I thought how it was need how they put them in..

...And showed the pixiedust: as they Died. :rotfl:

pokemon_master
12-22-2007, 05:02 AM
Sneaky Directors! I've just noticed an Excellent Reference! Highlighted to avoid spoilers

In the begining parts where Lyra is going through to the Retiring Room, Pan see a regular cat and shapeshifts into a regular cat to scare it. He then says "That's odd; that cat acted like they never saw a daemon before", which references to the Subtle Knife because of the cat in Will's world that shows him how to get into Cittagraze!

AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup2

mikki.young
12-22-2007, 05:29 AM
I haven't seen the film yet but I just finished all 3 books (only got them because of the film trailers!) in ereader format. Not bad at all.