PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you actually spend in your room?

lindsroc
10-11-2007, 06:55 AM
So this is our 1st year staying in Disney- and we decided to go all out and get a nice 1 br villa at SSR since its our 1st official trip to Disney. A lot of people had said why spend the money since you're hardly in your room but i think and hope it will be worth it. We have a 3 and 4 yr old, and to us it will be nice because we dont want to have to go to bed at 9pm or so when they do. It will be nice having a seperate living area. We have also said that at least we'll know for next time, maybe we wont need to spend as much on a room and we could stay at a moderate or even a standard in a deluxe. We do plan on having breakfast in room (except for CRT) and the washer/dryer will be nice. Im just wondering with kids- how much time do you actually stay in your room? If youve done a suite, was it worth it? I like that we can make our own coffee etc in the morning but for the extra money, not sure if it would just be worth it to eat out! Thanks!!!

kapoof
10-11-2007, 07:15 AM
we spend enough time in our room to care what its is like. yes it will be worth it.

rodkenrich
10-11-2007, 07:21 AM

boomhauer
10-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Not enough to justify spending the money we're spending for the Poly next year, but then again, we've never stayed Deluxe. I have a feeling our plans will change staying at a nicer resort, especially one where you can so easily leave the Magic Kingdom and Epcot for some time off during the day.

grannyminnie
10-11-2007, 07:29 AM
We specifically plan on spending more time at the resort BECAUSE we booked a deluxe. That way we feel as if we at least justify some of the cost.

Lilolvr
10-11-2007, 07:30 AM
We're out of the room early, maybe back during the day for a nap and/or shower, and then back to the parks, DtD or the pool until late in the evening. Mainly just to sleep, shower, change and a few naps thrown in.

Hopefully
10-11-2007, 07:33 AM
We feel the resort is part of the vacation experience and it is important to us. We have been to WDW many times and we no longer do the parks "Commando Style". We do spend time at the resort, in the room, at the pool and to us it is worth it. I think with little ones you will be spending nap time in the afternoon at the resort. You will find the extra space wonderful. Even only eating breakfast in the Villa saves a lot of money. We also stock up on sodas water, beer and wine, snacks etc, which saves us money too.
Have a Wonderful Trip

shellybaxter
10-11-2007, 07:34 AM
We spend a good deal of time in our room, but our trips are always longer - 10 plus days. We do get up fairly early and get to the parks, but then we return to our room in the afternoon for a nap and such.

I think a one bedroom will be good for you. I personally love that the villas have a king size bed and a large jacuzzi tub. With two little ones the in room washer and dryer will be great as well.

StrollPatrolMom
10-11-2007, 07:36 AM
This year? Not a lot....

I thought we would spend more time in the room, but we weren't that into our resort (Pop) and my son was awesome napping in the stroller, so we didn't *have* to go back for a nap...

that being said, next year we plan to go for a little bit longer and stay at a deluxe with the intention of enjoying the resort MORE...Pop didn't have any restaurants, hot tubs, water slides...so there really wasn't a whole lot for us to do there other than sit on the cement sidewalks outside of our rooms once our kids were settled in...

In fact, especially with my mom being the animal lover that she is...I
ll probably be hard pressed to get her to leave the hotel!!!

Mrsjvb
10-11-2007, 07:58 AM
I am big believer that if the room is cramped or otherwise unsuitable, it throws off the whole vacation.

if everyone is tripping over each other trying to get ready, tempers flare. If the room decor is tired or unappealing, your whole mood gets thrown out of kilter. If restaurant choices or recreation choices are sub par or not what you are looking for, then you will be irritable. and this is with or without kids in tow.

I learned something on our cross country trip from Monterey to DC this spring: you get what you pay for. We stayed in Motel Sixes as a cost cutting measure and because of the two cats in the back seat. at $40 a night, I would NEVER stay in one more than 18 hours. yes all we did was sleep and shower. and that's all it was worth.

For us, we do spend a fair amount of time in the room vegging out. so I want my out of park experience to be as relaxing and fun as my in park experience.

RJD
10-11-2007, 08:05 AM
We don't spend alot of time in our room so we are very happy at the values. I think it does depend on whether your kids are little, need to nap and go to bed early. Now that our boys are 10 and 14, we get back to the room late and we're pretty much all ready for bed! We sleep, get up, shower and then hit the parks so we don't spend alot of time in the room. But I think it really varies family to family.

lindsroc
10-11-2007, 08:10 AM
I think it will be worth it, especially after reading others opinions. Its true- if your unhappy with your room- cramped etc....its going to put you in a bad mood before you even get to the park. I think it will be great to have the bedroom so we can put the girls to bed at night, and then hubby and I can watch tv and relax before going to bed. Im also excited for the tub!!! I showed the girls pics of it and theyre already planning their nightly bubble baths. :)

simonkodousek
10-11-2007, 08:10 AM
I guess you could say that we spend more time in our room than the average family. We don't leave the room until 8 AM and come back at 10 PM, but we take an afternoon break from 12 PM-3 PM. :)

Enjoy SSR!

kimsuenew
10-11-2007, 08:13 AM
We loved staying at SSR. We stayed there this September, on our first WDW trip. We were in "The Springs". The whole resort is beautiful. There are wonderful family activities planned daily and the pools are really nice. We would stay again in a heartbeat! :) We are staying at Pop Century next September, because we simply could not afford SSR (value was the only way we could manage a return trip). We will miss the quietness and just the grounds/colors of SSR! We hope you have a wonderful trip! :cool1:

newholidayx2
10-11-2007, 08:43 AM
For my upcoming 13night 50th birthday bash in Nov I booked
Pop 4 nights
Coronado 4 nights
BCV 5 nights

Starting out the vacation in commando mode while at Pop. Will relax some at Coronado (planned a morn to hang out). Then at BCV Im birthday partying! Planned a few mornings downtime. Mostly there for Off Kilter!

moviegirl11
10-11-2007, 08:58 AM
To me, you get more than just a nice room with a nicer resort. I thought the bus transportation seemed much quicker and less crowded at CBR than it was when I stayed at ASMu. There were also less people running around, fewer screaming children and it just felt less crowded there overall. I haven't stayed at a deluxe but when I visited Poly to go see Spirit of Aloha, my immediate reaction was "oh, I want to stay here!" Its just beautiful. Plus it'd be nice to have a bigger room and a private balcony and the monorail option is very appealing, I think. The kind of stuff really would have an effect on your daily routine and the vacation in general.

That said, for us, the decision to go with a moderate was a money thing. We just couldnt justify spending like $800 more on the trip just to stay at a deluxe. If we had that kind of extra money, we totally would because I think it'd be worth it for a trip longer than 4 or 5 nights.

I also wouldnt advise people who've never been to WDW to spend more than they have just to stay at a deluxe. The first visit is such a whirlwind and there's so many new things to see in the parks that chances are, the family wouldn't spend much time at the deluxe. It probably takes most people at least a couple visits before they 1) know what parks/attractions they have to hit (and which ones they can miss) and 2) know how to budget their time right so that they actually HAVE free time to roam the resort.

DisLUV
10-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Time spent in your room depends on who is on your trip. We spent alot of time in our room at the WL on our Honeymoon (I just had to say it!)!

Charleyann
10-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I love to go go the parks! I never spend time in my room. I get too bored when I am vacationing to lay around:rotfl:

Charleyann:santa:

SB in KY
10-11-2007, 09:22 AM
With young children you will LOVE the space provided by a 1BR villa. I am certainly not one to play Betty Crocker on vacation but having the kitchen for breakfast, etc with little ones is great....there will be days when the kids have just had enough and you will be able to go back to the room, fix them a PB&J or whatever and let them nap or put them to bed...and you will be SOO thankful for that nice big villa, where you and DH can still visit, watch TV or a movie or whatever after the kids are down..

. The jacuzzi is great and the washer dryer are handier than you even thought they would be.

If you are in a small room at a Value resort you probably will not do anything besides sleep and shower there, but if you have a nice unit at SSR it will feel a LOT more like vacation and you will probably find yourself spending more time in the room and at the resort because it is so enjoyable.

madalex
10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
We are not "park commandos" who leave the room in the morning and do not return until the parks close down at night. We have breakfast at the resort and then head out in the morning. We are always back in the afternoon to spend a few hours in the room and/or around the resort before heading back out in the evening. We also usually have at least one day where we don't go to the parks and just spend it hanging around the resort. Thus, as we do spend a good bit of time around the resort, the resort we stay at, the amenities at the resort and the rooms themselves are very important.

Amy&Dan
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
The time I spend in my room depends on the room itself! If we stay in a one bedroom, then we spend quite a bit of time. My kids love being able to rent a movie (for free) from the store at SSR, dh and I can enjoy a glass of wine or beer out on the balcony. The kids love the jacuzzi tub and so some nights are anxious to get back to the room to soak in that, watch a movie, make a snack like popcorn in our microwave etc. There's more room to spread out in so we find it pleasant to hang out in our one bedroom. It is a home away from home in that you can spend time doing mundane things that somehow seem more fun at WDW (my kids never look forward to bath time at home thats for sure ;) ).

I love the values and mods, stay in those quite often too and when we stay there we do enjoy our resort but not so much the room itself. We may spend quite a lot of time in the pool area but the room is something for sleeping and getting ready only for the most part.

Also, at SSR, you have a lot of things to enjoy around the resort. The pool area, community hall, the lovely grounds, quiet pools, all make you want to spend time enjoying them. So in addition to your unit, you'll have all of that to enjoy.

Frankly, with two young kids, the one bedroom will be your new best friend! Having that extra space makes a vacation free from the hassles you have on a typical vacation.

apulk
10-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Everyone is different for what they want from their vacation. We're probably a little spoiled too in that we are Hilton Head DVC members and we always do a beach week -- which is our relaxing vacation so we do tend to spend a lot of time at the parks. We have evolved a lot too. When we had less money we were happy for the moderates and were very happy. When income grew we had a period in the deluxe resorts -- loving every minute of them too. We did a trip to Pop back in Feb 2004 and really liked the place and that really changed our mind about where we stay at WDW then had a trip the following year at BCV and VWL. We love those places but when the trip was over we realized that we had only spent about 7 hours at the pool -- most of that at BCV on Memorial Day when the parks got crowded very early in the day and fast passes were gone by Noon.

Personally I think you should give the villas a try -- you will love having the kitchen and believe it or not -- may love having the washer and dryer in the room even more. With 6 of us in the family that is one huge benefit of DVC for us -- going home with clean clothes.

We have booked OKW on points for our next trip but I also just booked us at Pop on cash. The family has voted to do Pop so we can still do our week in Hilton Head. I even suggested we move up to Port Orleans Riverside (really one of my favorites) but they didn't think it was worth the extra $900 for the week.

murcor
10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
With young children you will LOVE the space provided by a 1BR villa. I am certainly not one to play Betty Crocker on vacation but having the kitchen for breakfast, etc with little ones is great....there will be days when the kids have just had enough and you will be able to go back to the room, fix them a PB&J or whatever and let them nap or put them to bed...and you will be SOO thankful for that nice big villa, where you and DH can still visit, watch TV or a movie or whatever after the kids are down..

. The jacuzzi is great and the washer dryer are handier than you even thought they would be.

If you are in a small room at a Value resort you probably will not do anything besides sleep and shower there, but if you have a nice unit at SSR it will feel a LOT more like vacation and you will probably find yourself spending more time in the room and at the resort because it is so enjoyable.

My words exactly.

You will also love the deck for relaxing when the kids are asleep or a morning coffee (a value or mod, wont give you that) You rush around all year its nice to just take some to savour the moments when on vacation :)

The washer/dryer cuts down on half the clothes you have to take. We always toss in a load of laundry when we head out of the room.

Kids like space, this unit will make everyone happy :)

The full size fridge, stores lots of beverages, fruits & veggies

rcraw45425
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
We have made several trips to the World since we had children, we tend to stay deluxe. As a rule we head back to our resort after lunch to relax, then head back out at dinner, dine, then hit another park in the evening once the temperatures drop. We like to proximity that the deluxes give to the "action", you can generally be in a park within 30 minutes from a deluxe resort.

MickeyNicki
10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
When we stayed at value and mods we did not spend much time at the resort at all, just sleep and shower there. Now that we stay in deluxe units we tend to go back to the resort and hang out alot more and take afternoon breaks

klmall
10-11-2007, 11:11 AM
When DS was younger we were always on the go so we spent very little time in the room. But as we have gotten older (notice I said we, but it's mainly DH) I found that we really enjoy spending time in the room and especially on the balcony. I am really a 'balcony belle' at any hotel.

Most trips now I get up early, ride and take pictures and meet the family somewhere. Then we all hit favorite attractions and rides, eat and head back for rest. After dinner somewhere we might hit a park or might not but I go back for pictures with DS and we all relax later in the room. Turns out concierge with its snacks, especially the readily available liquid refreshments really meets our needs now!

I would say that we spend several waking hours in the room on some days; especially DH with me spending the least. It is a vacation after all, especially for DH who is still working!

IWISHFORDISNEY
10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
With a toddler in tow (our son was 2 last trip and one month shy of 3 this trip) we spent alot of time at the resort and in the room. With naps and breakfast it is more time than you think. The BWV was awesome with the ability to have breakfast in the room and then the washer and dryer. I think you have made a great choice in booking a villa. The jacuzzi tub is awesome. I am sure you will have a fantastic trip.

Brad Bishop
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I think the other thing you don't really think about but still do (well, -I- do) when you stay at a HoJo down the street is that I don't *want* to stay in my room except to sleep when I'm at a value-hotel. Basically you're just there, laying on your bed, staring at the TV with channels that you're not familiar with. I'd much rather be out doing something.

My guess is that if you stay at a resort property that you've got things to do to keep you occupied so that you don't mind hanging around the hotel/motel as much.

lindsroc
10-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Ahhhh, I cant wait. Thank you all for reinforcing my thoughts that I did make the right decision! 2 weeks from tomorrow we leave on our drive! Yay!

BirdsOfPreyDave
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
SSR is our home resort and we love it. It continues to be our favorite place to stay. The 1BR villa has lots of space, and the kitchen and laundry in the room are wonderful.

Having a separate bedroom is definiately a plus with small kids. The only down side is the bedroom is where you'll want to sleep. That is unless the two of you want to give up the nice king-sized bed for the full-sized pull-out couch in the living room. (Not hardly, huh?)

If you're planning to put them to bed early, you'll need to either carry them out to the couch later when you're ready to go to bed, or let them go to bed on the couch and spend your night in the bedroom. There's a TV and jacuzzi tub in there, so the bedroom isn't a bad place to hang out. But if you want to be doing laundry, fix a snack in the kitchen, or work at the desk, you have to tip-toe around in the semi-dark. Same thing again in the morning when you're fixing coffee or maybe making breakfast.

This probably won't be all that big of a problem, though. We don't have kids ourselves, but on the trips we've taken with family, the adults were generally just as tired (if not more so) than the little ones. There weren't a whole lot of nights when we didn't all go to bed at the same time.

Portugal1000
10-11-2007, 11:34 AM
We go for 3 weeks at Xmas and spend the first 12 days at a Homewood Suites as only $104 with breakfast and managers reception included which I think is great. We really go for it with the parks. Last year we moved onto FW from 19th December until 28th when we came home. We had got a good deal which I think was around $170 as we arrived on the last day of value season. We loved it and although we could have stayed on at Homewood for the cheaper price I am glad we moved. This year we are doing the same but are also staying at SSR from 19th again. $222 a night with the 40% code and I cant wait. Will spend lots of time at the resorts and in the pools (hopefully will be warm enough, but coming from London anything in Florida feels warm to us!)

JJ&JSMOM
10-11-2007, 11:42 AM
We just got back from the Poly on Sunday and we have a 2, 5 & 8 year old. We spent a lot of time at our resort - we'd break in the afternoon. DD2 slept in a couple of days w/either me or DH while the other parent went to the parks w/the others. We spent a lot of time in the pool as well. When I booked our resort I looked at room size (ours was 476sq ft - not as big as your 1 bedroom would be), transportation options (monorail, bus & boat, near the TTC), pool (zero entry - very important to us for the little ones) & has to have a water slide for DS8. Has to have at least one good restaurant on site and room service is a plus. The Poly fit this for us - we did have a one bedroom booked at OKW but I liked the proximity to the MK better w/the Poly and the monorail w/stroller so we switched.

So I would write down your needs & priorities and find a resort that fits them as close as possible. I think a one bedroom would be great - the w/d would come in extra handy and a full kitchen as well for snacks & meals. Good luck and have a great time.

apr9twins
10-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Another really nice thing about having the extra space is if someone gets ill there is a place for that person to be where it can be dark, quiet, etc. - and you can do other things in the villa while they're resting. We stayed at CSR this April and my 5 year old twins took turns getting strep throat - my dh spent a day and 1/2 in the room with our son and I spent a day and 1/2 in the room with our daughter. I loved CSR, but I really felt trapped in that room while she was sleeping, playing quietly, etc. - having an extra room and kitchen would have really made a difference.

f7prez
10-11-2007, 12:08 PM
To me it is more about how much time is spent at the resort not the room. We do not spend every waking hour at a theme park. We enjoy hanging around the resort relaxing by the pool, taking a walk or a bike ride. I'm on vacation. You will be very happy with your choice. Being able to wake up and have breakfast in your room without having to rush off to some food court is great. Having a w/d in room is even better. If you don't have to stay in a cramped motel room, why would you do it:confused3

prekteacher
10-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Our plan is sleep and take a nap in the room . We wil be in our rooms for a short time.

Sammie
10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
We spend more time at our resort than out of it. So yes a nice room is a definite for us, we always get a 2 bedroom DVC villa. :thumbsup2

Deb & Bill
10-11-2007, 01:19 PM
For the three of us, we get a one bedroom villa (we're DVC members) and would never get anything smaller. We spend a lot of time just sitting around, sitting on the porch (especially at OKW), watching TV, cooking, afternoon naps (me and my husband while our son swims at the pool or goes to the arcade). You'll like the SSR one bedroom. Very nice.

lindsroc
10-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Thank you all for your replies! I definitely think we made the right choice! Now... if only I can resist becoming a DVC member. Yikes!

Shasta
10-12-2007, 07:04 AM
We've used our time share several time to go to Disney and hardly cooked in the room or spent any time so now we stay at the values and use those time share nights for locations that don't have so many activities to do near the resorts.

Our typical day is to wake, shower and leave. Come back for about 1-2 hours mid day and then back out until 10:00 or so. In other words, 2-3 hours awake in our room.

Everyone is different and there is no wrong or right.

tlens
10-12-2007, 09:41 AM
When our kids were really little, we stayed off site in a one or 2 bedroom condo with a kitchen and laundry. SOOOO worth it. WE would often tack on a few days on site at the end of the week to get the Disney magic.

I agree that for our family, the Value resort rooms are just simply too small. We couldn't comfortably fit both a playpen and a stroller in the room and not be walking all over one another. The mods are better andwe found that with POR,Bayou section, not having the kids sleep in the same bed was a HUGE bonus. NExt trip we are deluxe mostly for the space and the kids again not having to sleep together. (AKL bunkbeds) and Beach Club.

We don't spend a TON of time in the room but enough that if the room isn't adequate it throws off the day.

D&R love Disney
10-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I love having space. Now that DH and I are DVC members we get a 1 br for the 2 of us and love it. This summer we took 2 of his kids and got a 2 br at BCV, it was so worth it. The kids loved having their own room and not having to share a bed except for the first night we spent at POFQ. The laundry was great since we didn't have to pack as much and DH and I had breakfast in the room while the kids got to sleep in a bit.

PrincessTrisha
10-12-2007, 01:22 PM
As 3 adults, we really enjoy having a little space and not tripping over each other.

Of the 3 of us, my Dad spends the least amount of time in the room - he loves to be off exploring anything and everything (I think he also gets tired of my mom and I nagging him). I spend a medium amount of time in the room. I like to read and I always keep a disney journal so I spend time writing as well (which is why I love places with balconies or patios so I can do this outside). And I like to just relax on a comfy bed (during my escape from work, a pillow is sometimes my best friend) and even catch a little (maybe once or twice) of daytime tv since it's not an option in the real world. My mom spends more time in the room. She has a bad leg and arthritis so sometimes she prefers staying at the resort instead of being in the parks. I like that she doesn't feel trapped when we are staying in a deluxe resort because she has at least a little room to move around.

the only thing that stops me from getting a 1 bdrm at a home away from home is the kitchen - if it's there, I don't think I'll be able to restrain my parents from using it. and sorry, it's not a vacation if I have to cook.

3mickeys&me
10-12-2007, 04:10 PM
We are up and out by 7:30ish usually and out all pretty much all day and don't return until late unless we are really hot and would like to fit in some pool time. We usually stay late at the parks or DTD and then go back to the resort for a swim before bed. My boys love that. So basically we are never in our rooms except to sleep and shower. We have stayed in value, moderates and the the Poly. The Poly is our favorite over all but they are all cool in different ways. If you are going and want to try to save a few bucks there is certainly nothing wrong with staying at a mod or val resort.
Enjoy your first trip

eliza61
10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
We generally go in August and September, which means the parks are open later and it's blistering hot outside. Since this is the case we spend a lot of time at the resort especially during the hot midday hours so we gladly cough up the extra dough for the space. I haven't stayed at SSR yet but heard it was very nice.

Have a great vacation.

MomWith2Cinderellas
10-12-2007, 04:29 PM
We like to take longer trips, so we can do a lot of half days. We like staying at a deluxe, because we will spend a decent amount of time at the resort as well. This trip will be our first time using our DVC points. We are looking forward to staying at the BCV, GF, and BWV. We are especially looking forward to the villas for the larger space (we are doing a 2 bedroom at BCV and a one bedroom at BWV), the kitchen area, and the washer/dryer(paying for the washer/dryer can cost you an arm and leg. The dryer takes forever to dry clothes)!