PDA

View Full Version : First trip to DLP and Paris... help!!

AZMermaid
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Well, it is actually my first trip to Europe period! A little background, I live in the US (Arizona) and I am a DL Anaheim regular. I have been to WDW twice. My boyfriend and I are in the early planning stages of a Paris trip for summer 2008 (I am a teacher so it has to be summer).

Right now I am thinking a Fri flight arriving in Paris Sat AM. So Sat- Wed touring Paris and then Thurs, Fri, Sat at DLP returning to home on Sunday. This is probably going to be in the first two weeks of June sometime. Is this a good time to go? My school starts in early Aug so June or July are my real options for travel. My boyfriend can get the time off whenever (lucky!)

So, my questions for now are does the split of the days sound doable. We are tentively thinking of a split stay, 4 nights in Paris, 4 nights at DLP. Anyone done this or have better ideas? In Paris we have 2, hopefully 3 free nights at the Hilton. Which DLP hotel would you recommend? Money is an issue but I am thinking of a level equivalent of a moderate at WDW?

Thanks!! I am sure I will have a million more questions as this process goes on!! He thinks we should hire a TA but I am not sure since we will be flying on FF miles and using Hilton points for at least 2 nights.

bavaria
10-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Weekdays in June and July are fairly quiet still in the parks; Saturdays and Sunday til about 4pm are very busy.

Also remember that in Paris much is closed Sunday/Monday including most shops (Sunday) and museums (Monday).

Based on that, I would consider flying into CDG to arrive Saturday AM and be at DLRP Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue (3 night stay). That gives you Saturday to recover from jet lag (you will have it from the West Coast, particularly if you fly economy and if you are not used to long haul flights). You can visit the resorts, or Val d'Europe shopping centre and Disney Village, and not get overly tired (it's important that you DON'T go to be during the day and go to bed as close to your 'normal' time as you can)

Then Tuesday afternoon or evening head to Paris via the RER. You would get off at CDG-Etoile station, and either transfer to the metro a few stops to Bir Hakim, or exit the train station, walk to the Marriott Champs Elysees two blocks, and take a taxi for the last bit.

Then Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday you can have free to explore Paris. As it is your first time in Europe, I would recommend a hop on/hop off tour (Paris l'Open) to orient yourself around Paris and still have flexibility. You can buy a one or two day ticket.

(The hotel I am going to recommend at Disneyland Paris will most likely be far cheaper than the Hilton, so you may want to stay Sat-Tue nights at DLRP, and go into Paris first thing Wed morning)

As to a Disney hotel - please don't take this the wrong way, but often Americans are disappointed with European hotels as they expect the same things as at home. All of the Disney hotels are clean and functional, but earlier this year someone compared the Sequoia Lodge here to a Day's Inn! That certainly is not the case, but you won't find the usual items such as washclothes, coffeemaker, or a hairdryer in most rooms. The rooms may be smaller, with less decoration than in America.

I recommend the Cheyenne - very good value and great theming, and easy to walk to the parks.

As to a travel agent - there really is no need as most American agencies don't know about Disneyland Paris hotels, and unless you find an agent who specializes in Paris they may not know more than you.

So long as you go with an open mind and expect to discover a lot of new things, you will have a good time. Too often however I read reports from people who went somewhere expecting it to be exactly like home, and are then disappointed when it is not (why leave home if you only want to experience home?)

I prefer Disneyland Paris to the WDW Magic Kingdom. It is far more special, with more attention to detail, a larger park overall, more attractions, revved up versions of the Florida attractions, better food, etc.

danandjackie
10-10-2007, 02:43 AM
I agree with the above.. Though we probably visit WDW more (lets face it EPCOT and AK are worth the trip alone) the fact is DLP is just so damn beautiful its full of pretty surprises just like the original Anaheim park is. When Eisner said build the darn castle out of stone etc etc he may have almost bankrupted the company but now on reflection its fitting and unique. Yes in previous years one or two E ticket attractions have been missing but people always forget that rides like POC have been the equivalents of the original Anaheim rides not the cut down Floridian version. In previous years the studios have been a dissapointment with potential especially for repeat visitors, now that at last is being corrected.

Re business times its more like Anaheim, its busier at weekends with the locals so always bear that in mind and Jun will still be quiet with most of EU still at school. If your looking at a moderate in Disney in the US one thing that your going to have to bear in mind is your E Rate which is not going to help you like it helps us Brits travel to you. The Sequoia lodge is my favourite of the moderates and I would have to hand you over to bavaria re the cheyenne. Alternatively there are the onsite hotels on the equivelent Disney Transport system which can have some great deals when booked through european web sites directly, thats the Kyriad, Viennea Dream Castle, Explores Hotel and the Disney Holiday Inn.

obscure
10-10-2007, 04:25 AM
I can't help with the disney hotels but would say that schools here (UK) break up around the 19th July so I'd aim for June / early July to avoid much of the madness. Midweek would be ideal if you can do that at DLP - we had teeny queues midweek last week and HUGE ones at the weekend.

:) Sadie

AZMermaid
10-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the tips!! That is a good point about the days. I was thinking that ending the trip with DLP would be a nice build up, but it would be fun to do the slightly more familar Disney stuff first before venturing into the big unknown! Besides that, I am kinda thinking I may come back from this trip with a shiny object for my finger and I bet DLP would be an awesome place for that!!