PDA

View Full Version : Being Grilled by CRO??

robinb
02-14-2002, 09:03 PM
Has anyone had this experience? I just called to check availability at AKL for our May trip. First she asked for my last name and zip code, the for the names of all the people in the room. This was before she even bothered to check for availability! She said it was for "my convenience" so that if I called back and wanted to make a reservation all the information would already be on file. I said that I would prefer to give that information when I actually made the reservation and not before. *sheesh* What a pain! Next time I'm going to insist that they skip the "3rd degree" and get right to the rate checking!

gepetto
02-14-2002, 09:09 PM
It's your dime. Since they no longer have toll free numbers I won't spend the extra few minutes giving out all that info unless I am ready to make a reservation with rates and availability in hand.

Nolcrest
02-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Yes, I was asked this when I FIRST called to check on availability. This didn't really bother me though because I only call when i know I'm going to make a ressie and I know I'd have to give the info anyway. Actually, i changed a ressie recently and since they already had this info it really simplified the call.

Janet2k
02-14-2002, 09:55 PM
Yeah, Robinb, they sometimes ask me this, too. I usually just give them my phone number and they can pull up all my info -- that way I don't have to answer the third degree questions.

Geoff_M
02-14-2002, 10:23 PM
Cut'em a little slack. It does help streamline things. It beats wasting everyone's time when some one asks for availability, and then tries to make a ressie only to then be told a party of 5 can't stay in that resort.

SandraC
02-14-2002, 10:43 PM
Gee, I call so often, they just hear my voice and say, "Hi Sandra!" LOL!

GAIL HAYDEN
02-14-2002, 11:34 PM
I agree with Geoff. It does streamline things and it will be on record so the next time you call, you won't have to go through the tedious process again. They are, after all, only doing their job and what they have been told they have to do.

robinb
02-15-2002, 12:09 AM
I disagree with it "streamlining" things. Name, rank and serial number for every member of the party to simply check a rate is a huge pain for both of us. If I want to book a reservation, then that info is great. Also, asking in advance how many people in the party and how many days they want to stay is fine. You need that information to make sure they are not planning 5 to a room where that is not allowe ;).

I do think they have been told to ask these things, probably for tracking purposes. I just don't want to be "tracked". I also don't want to play 5 minutes of 20 questions with the agent.

olena
02-15-2002, 03:49 AM
That happened to me, too. I've reserved a May trip with my husband and parents. I gave them my parents' names for the reservation. Now when I call up for something, they call me by my Mom's name.

disneyjunkie
02-15-2002, 06:52 AM
I don't like it either. Why can't they wait until they know if you're calling to make a reservation before they ask for your name and zip code? Why do they need that info to tell me about VIP viewing, or to give me info about PS. etc?

susy
02-15-2002, 06:57 AM
Another thing... I just called to check out if I could use a postcard rate (couldn't) and they sent me a modified ressie sheet! Nothing was modified. You would think with all the cutbacks...

ducklite
02-15-2002, 08:06 AM
Think about it this way--when they "track" you, it also gives them an idea of what you are interested in, and allows them to send you a postcard to get a deal in order to try a resort you might not be able to otherwise...

Anne

(100% proponent of opt-in segment marketing!)

tampafan
02-15-2002, 08:49 AM
It is just a way to better serve us. Supposedly all of our stays are now accesable via name and zip. Additionally, information regarding special requests and such should be available.

Dodie
02-15-2002, 08:54 AM
Think of it this way:

Now that they have your "information," maybe you'll start getting those elusive POSTCARDS!:bounce:

LvsTnk
02-15-2002, 08:57 AM
Everytime I call it seems to be the same list of ?'s even after I give them the basics. Nothing seems to be streamlined to me. Sorry :( I think the fact that it is our "dime" has something to do with it. I am sure that they are getting lots of marketing information from the same people over and over LOL. JMHO

corndog
02-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Occasionally I get those questions, but I just say politely that I would rather not give them that information until I'm ready to book and they always oblige.

moymo
02-15-2002, 09:50 AM
Based on a recent conversation I had with one of them, she said that they are no longer letting people make lots of ressies because they can't decide which resort they want. I think this way what they do is they look you up in their database and see all the ressies that you have. She had me cancel my AllStarMo before she would make my Amex offer ressie at a moderate. The downside is that sometimes it is hard to decide and if I am willing to pay the deposit, what's the big deal? I guess the upside is then there really would be more availability for all of us if many people aren't "holding" bunches of ressies. [shrugging shoulders].:rolleyes:

LvsTnk
02-15-2002, 10:37 AM
Well, it just goes to show you how different CM's can be. Just this morning I was calling to check on different types of rooms for our Christmas trip. I reminded the CM I had a ressie for BWI, but she insisted I book an AKL suite as well, too funny. :)

Geoff_M
02-15-2002, 01:02 PM
Name, rank and serial number for every member of the party to simply check a rate is a huge pain for both of us.
I guess it's a matter of perspective. If giving them that information will help narrow things down and provide me quicker service overall, I'll continue to be happy to take a few seconds and provide the info.

As was pointed out already, if you politely tell them you'd rather not give that information at this time I doubt the next sound you hear will be a "click" on the other end of the line.

robinb
02-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Now that they have your "information," maybe you'll start getting those elusive POSTCARDS!

LOL! I just got one in the mail today! So much for that theory ;).

BTW, I tried to avoid giving them a bunch of information and was stonewalled by the CM. I guess that's what honked me off the most was that I tried, but failed. I was polite, not rude, because as we all know a happy CM on your side is a good CM. I could have just refused, but I suspect there would have been "no room at the lodge" for me :).

pantherpaw
02-15-2002, 02:31 PM
robinb: I had the same problem, the CM absolutly refused to give me any rate quotes without me giving him my zip code, phone # and all the names and ages of everyone in my party. He said the computer would not allow him to access the rates without my info, which really ticked me off because I know that's just not true. I just told him nevermind, I'll make my reservations elsewhere and hung up. Called right back and got a very nice CM who had no problem giving me rate quotes and answering my questions without me answering all those question.

CHIEF TONGA
02-15-2002, 08:30 PM
Try not to take it out on the agents there just doing there job.

CaliforniaDreaming
02-15-2002, 09:39 PM
I don't like when they ask me the questions, either. I haven't gotten anyone that has done that in a while, though. It makes me upset that they have to have a bunch of info just to give me a rate, which I may or may not book. Give me a price that I like, then I'll give them the info. :)

Cali-D

chrissyk
02-15-2002, 10:07 PM
I don't think that they ask for all this info for "streamlining". One CM that I talked to yesterday slipped and said something about a "profile". This makes sense, since the last time I tried to book, I couldn't get ANY discounts for the GF, even an AP discount. I had my sis (who has never booked a WDW trip) call and give her info, and magically she had her choice of views at the GF with the AP discount. I am pretty sure that they looked up my profile and saw that my husband and I had stupidly paid full-price for the Beach Club when we went to WDW in 1998. My sis did not have a "profile" on file, so they had to work to get her business. Just my 2 cents worth on why they want your info up front.

The Pluto People
02-15-2002, 11:06 PM
I think chrissyk is absolutely correct. After Disney has your "profile" and knows you have paid rack rate in the past, why would they now offer you a discount?! I'm always so amazed at those people who think Disney is collecting info in order to offer them discounts, postcards, ect. If Disney knows you are hooked (from your profile) why would they offer you an incentive to vacation at WDW? :confused:

gepetto
02-15-2002, 11:10 PM
Last time I called CRO, I spent almost 20 minutes on hold. Spending extra time giving out extra info when I'm paying the phone bill is a little much....especially if I don't even want to book a room at the time.

Geoff_M
02-15-2002, 11:18 PM
I don't think for a minute they use any sort of information as a way to get more money out of you. Did your sister call on the same day? Rates and availability can change on a daily basis. If you called back right after you sister and hit the wall again, you might have a case. Also that would be a pretty stupid strategy on the part of WDW if you then said "No thanks" to the GF, like I suspect a lot of people would in that situation. As for "offering discounts"... from what I understand from posters here, Rule #1 for CRO is they don't offer any discounts unless you specifically ask for them.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Sorry but I do disrespectfully disagree with chrissyk, I have paid rack rate, discount rate, am a member of DVC and still managed to get a great rate at AKL savannah view with my AP this past Jan.
A profile can mean no more than your phone number, and zip code. It does not mean " oh, boy, got a live one here, she paid rack rate, let's get her again". Perhaps when your sis called back something had been cancelled and just became available.
Personally, I like the streamline effect, I don't like repeating myself and this makes it very easy. Kind of like when I call Member Services at DVC for a reservation. My member number is there and that is all I need to give, the rest is easy.
I wonder how many of you object to the information your local grocery store, Wal*Mart etc. has on you when you write a check or use the little discount card you might have. I would be more concerned about that.

The Pluto People
02-15-2002, 11:42 PM
Does anyone really believe Disney is collecting this info for any reason other than increasing their bottom line? :rolleyes:

BrianD
02-16-2002, 08:14 AM
I think a lot of you folks need to chill out! I think we are all getting a little too worked up over petty things here. I mean we're going to Disney World! This is not a perfect world and not everything is always going to be done the way we want it. I think we are all thinking too much about every little detail of everything. Let's relax a bit!

BrianD :smooth:

chrissyk
02-16-2002, 10:14 AM
My sis did call right back after I did (she was at my house, which is why we had the idea to have her try). I don't think that it was a case of a room being cancelled and just having come available, because she had her choice of views (lagoon or garden) with the AP discount where 5 minutes before, there was no availability to me w/the AP discount, but if I wanted to pay rack rate, there was availability. I found this to be disingeneous (sp?) on the part of CRO. I posted about this experience on another board when it happened (last fall...we ended up cancelling that trip after all that to boot!). Someone posted back that they had been a CM at CRO in the past, and they definitely used this info to "profile" the customer and offer or not offer discounts according to what they thought they had to do to get their business based upon the profile.

gepetto
02-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Gail, I hate the grocery discount cards too....but it's impossible to find a store now where you don't have to use one to get the sale items. The store I go to now at least has Greenpoints (new version of S&H Greenstamps) attached to their cards. That's not so bad since I have enough points to get my kids a tent.

Some CM's ask for that info when I call and some don't. I like to get prices and availablility at several resorts and then call back when we decide where we want to stay. It seems like a waste to give all of the personal info out twice, though. I usually have been able to get some kind of discount....usually DC or an AP rate.

robinb
02-16-2002, 12:31 PM
I wonder how many of you object to the information your local grocery store, Wal*Mart etc. has on you when you write a check or use the little discount card you might have. I would be more concerned about that.

You bet I hate that too! I give the grocery store as little info as possible ... certainly not all they asked for. I know that they are building a shopping profile on me, on people of my gender who live at my zip code who are my age, etc, etc, etc.

When I lived in Chicago in the 80's your SSN was on your driver's licence. I asked to have it removed, but all the clerks were required to put your SSN on your check by management. Many times they would get very confused when they couldn't find it and then had to call a manager when I refused to tell them my SSN. I guess I could have "steamlined" the process by leaving my SSN my DL :).

disneyag
02-16-2002, 05:55 PM
First of all, different CM's give different answers. It IS annoying. However, I don't think it's part of any great conspiracy. Chances are that your sister called back and got a different CM. As far as profiling is concerned, my neighborhood grocery store even does it. They know what I buy each week. Your credit card company also has a "profile" of what you buy on a monthly basis. If you don't like dealing with a CM -- call back. Or better yet, use a DU agent to do it for you.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-16-2002, 06:21 PM
Robin,
You would be amazed at what the grocery store can pick up from your check. It is actually very scary. The grocery store can do a modified credit check from your check before they accept it, or will run a credit check when you apply for a courtesy card.

I totally agree with you regarding the SS for the license. MA was doing it for a long time in the 70s. I was furious, it is supposed to be a unique identifier, but, IMHO, it should be used for one purpose and one purpose only, your SS benefits.

Another thing that really tugs my chain is when they ask specifically for your license for ID. That, in CT, is illegal. You are to ask for a photo ID and if the license is offered, then fine.
The store can also list what is acceptable, but, cannot specify that you have to have a license.
Also, they cannot write your credit card number on a check anymore. They can write what it is ie: MC/Visa etc and the expiration date. That is all.
Well, see you got me started. Thanks. ;)

DebbieB
02-16-2002, 06:40 PM
When we were at BWV in December, I dialed "55" to make a PS for that afternoon. I had to go through the whole spiel before I could say that all I wanted was a PS!

AllyandJack
02-17-2002, 02:55 PM
My idea on this is that they use it to decide who is going to get the free upgrades. For example, some people call CRO and give the CMs a hard time and behave rudely. When those people go to check in, the hotel knows that these people were rude to CMs and won't upgrade them. However, people who are polite and respect the CMs have a better chance of getting a free upgrade.

I don't know.....just my idea. I don't care one way or the other if I have to give my last name and zip code and it is really convenient to have them able to pull up all of my ressies for the year at one time since I sometimes call from school and don't have my ressie number available for them!!:rolleyes: