PDA

View Full Version : I am getting a tatoo on Saturday

My Own Little Corner
10-02-2007, 07:42 PM
My parents have finally agreed or may I say cave in on me being able to get a tattoo. I thank my older brother for the final convincing.:goodvibes So I am going to get my initial and some design on the back and base of my neck and I am wondering if anyone has ever gotten a tattoo before and if so what was it of and did it hurt a loy or not? I know that most of use on this TB are under 18 so if you did get one you would have to had your permission from your parents like me. How long did that take to convince them?

Babyjustrun
10-02-2007, 07:48 PM
There's no laws in my country about age limit on tattoos. They can demand for consent, but they don't HAVE to.
But no, I don't have one.

::Snow_White::
10-02-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm only 14, but I love tattoos.
I think they are beautiful.
I probably won't be getting one until I move out. My mom probably wouldn't let me. lol.
I would love for my mom to take me to a tattoo shop for my 18th birthday to get one. :goodvibes
My aunt got one on her ankle. And she said it wasn't bad.
But I think it is probably worth the pain. They are awesome.

Congrats on being able to get one! :D

My Own Little Corner
10-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I can't wait, I will show pictures from it after I get it.

I'm a Divaaaaa
10-02-2007, 08:04 PM
It'll probably hurt a fair amount on the nape of your neck being that there are vertabrae there. It'll take about a month ish to fully heal. Just do what your artist says....lotion, no soap and NO STRATCHING for sure.

My Own Little Corner
10-02-2007, 08:17 PM
It'll probably hurt a fair amount on the nape of your neck being that there are vertabrae there. It'll take about a month ish to fully heal. Just do what your artist says....lotion, no soap and NO STRATCHING for sure.

Thanks

PowerMonkey
10-02-2007, 08:27 PM
haha awesome! im pretty sure its going to hurt.. they do it all through needles haha... your going to have to wrap it up for a while too... but i think tattoos kickass... i plan to get one going down my back or on my chest.. i really want an aztec design there, done in jet black ink... imo, the best tattoos are the plain black ones with line designs... im not really a fan of the tattoos with color

My Own Little Corner
10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
haha awesome! im pretty sure its going to hurt.. they do it all through needles haha... your going to have to wrap it up for a while too... but i think tattoos kickass... i plan to get one going down my back or on my chest.. i really want an aztec design there, done in jet black ink... imo, the best tattoos are the plain black ones with line designs... im not really a fan of the tattoos with color

Oh ,my initials will be stencils and used in black ink for sure. And the design is sort of a Ying/Yang Symbol, but not exactly and may have red and another color in it. But mostly black ink. I just hope I don't cry.

DramaQueen
10-03-2007, 07:15 AM
thats awesome!! congrats on convincing your parents!!!!
you gotta tell me how much it hurts!
i'm planning on getting one in the spring for my 19th b-day. my BF's gonna get one too (NO we are NOT going to get each others initials! lol...we're just going together)

i dont think it'll take too much to convince my parents, my dad's got tattoos and he LOVES them.

I want to get one on my wrist in white fancy writing saying "once upon a time" :)

and my BF is gonna get a native lacrosse thinger.

maybe i can convince my daddy to come and get another tattoo with us :)

seriously though! GOOD LUCK! tell me how it goes!

My Own Little Corner
10-03-2007, 08:06 AM
thats awesome!! congrats on convincing your parents!!!!
you gotta tell me how much it hurts!
i'm planning on getting one in the spring for my 19th b-day. my BF's gonna get one too (NO we are NOT going to get each others initials! lol...we're just going together)

i dont think it'll take too much to convince my parents, my dad's got tattoos and he LOVES them.

I want to get one on my wrist in white fancy writing saying "once upon a time" :)

and my BF is gonna get a native lacrosse thinger.

maybe i can convince my daddy to come and get another tattoo with us :)

seriously though! GOOD LUCK! tell me how it goes!

I will be sure to tell everyone all about the experience I have and hopefully have a few pictures as well of the finished art work.

imabrat
10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm not getting one anytime soon,I'm only 14.

But once I get older,I do plan on getting a couple.
I want an open star on my left wrist,that maybe later on in life I'll fill it in with initials or dates of my children or something special like that.

I haven't really thought about it yet,but I do know that I want to get a tattoo to "commemorate" beating cancer.
I know I'm going to beat this,and I know the struggles I went through to beat it.
Maybe like a cancer awareness ribbon or something.
I actually got the idea from watching an episode of Miami Ink.

Hopefully they won't hurt so bad.
After dealing with cancer and getting needles everywhere,I think I can deal with the pain.

My Own Little Corner
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm not getting one anytime soon,I'm only 14.

But once I get older,I do plan on getting a couple.
I want an open star on my left wrist,that maybe later on in life I'll fill it in with initials or dates of my children or something special like that.

I haven't really thought about it yet,but I do know that I want to get a tattoo to "commemorate" beating cancer.
I know I'm going to beat this,and I know the struggles I went through to beat it.
Maybe like a cancer awareness ribbon or something.
I actually got the idea from watching an episode of Miami Ink.

Hopefully they won't hurt so bad.
After dealing with cancer and getting needles everywhere,I think I can deal with the pain.

I think that is a totally awsome idea getting a tattoo that commemorates the beating of Cancer for you. And you are right getting a tattoo is nothing compared to what you have gone through.

You know what you are going to be my inspiration when I go into to get my tattoo on Saturday. Up this point I have been really nervous about the whole process of the needles and just when I read your reply I was like what the hell. This girl is beating Cancer and getting needles up and down her body and Chemo and all that other lousy junk. What I am going to take on getting a tattoo is a piece of cake compared t all that. So if you don't mind, I would like to think of you as my inspiration in this whole thing. You are much stronger of a young lady then myself.

Skelington Spade
10-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Um, why would you want to get a tattoo? Sure it's fun and cool now, but when your eighty years old- well, you'll probably think it just looks silly. Use a Sharpie instead, you can wipe that off whenever you get tired of what you have, and get something new.

eianson
10-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Grown-up here. I don't make it a point of hanging in this forum, but I noticed the thread title from the DIS main page.

What may seem like a good idea now, will almost definitely seem like a bad one in the future. I got a tattoo on my back in my mid-20s and I've regretted it ever since. Now that I am a dad, I don't like going to the community pool, because my neighbors see it. And we have a gym at work with showers and I am self conscience about co-workers and superiors seeing it. And explaining it to my kids sucks.

You aren't going to listen to me, but you should....don't do it. But if you do get one, make sure it is something that is not visible when you are wearing normal clothes. While you can't imagine it now, someday you will be in a position where you don't want someone to see it.

Oh....and it does hurt.

AngelInDisguise
10-03-2007, 12:57 PM
no and I never ever am getting one!

Pirate Me
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm contemplating on whether or not I would ever want to get one. It would be fun when I'm 20...but when I'm 50 or 60, am I going to like the tattoo?

EDIT: Rephrased to what I really meant.

imabrat
10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Who cares what it looks like when you're 50 or 60?
Why should you worry about what other people think of your tattoo?
Having cancer made me realize life's too short to worry about things.
Carpe Diem!
Seize the Day!

Ileana
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Who cares what it looks like when you're 50 or 60?
Why should you worry about what other people think of your tattoo?
Having cancer made me realize life's too short to worry about things.
Carpe Diem!
Seize the Day!

Amen

All my tattoos I got were for me.

The OP is going to get a tattoo, whether now or when they turn 18.

Plus 50 isn't exactly ancient. I hope I still have all the zest for life that I have now in my 20's. If anyone asks about my tattoos when I'm in my 70's, I'll have to remind them that I'm cooler than they are :3dglasses

Pirate Me
10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I care about what it would look like when I'm old. I wouldn't want a tattoo when I'm really old. And it can't be a spur of the moment tattoo. Alot of people spend money for surgery to get there tattoos away. The costliest laser would take away 95% of the tattoo.

ETA: JMHO. Thats what I think. Its just an opinion.

Babyjustrun
10-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't care what I'll look like when I'm old.
I'm going to be ugly anyways, I'm not so hot now, so at the age of 50 when I've gained weight and have a wrinkled face from both laughing and frowning, there's not point in caring anymore for me.
By the time I'm like 70, I'll either be with a man who doesn't care what I look like because we've been together for so long, I won't be working. I may be staying at home, I may be in a nursing home.
By then, looks are done and over with. What I did in my liftetime is much more important than worrying about my skin wrinkling. Darling, skin doesn't look good no matter what when you're 80.

imabrat
10-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Amen

All my tattoos I got were for me.

The OP is going to get a tattoo, whether now or when they turn 18.

Plus 50 isn't exactly ancient. I hope I still have all the zest for life that I have now in my 20's. If anyone asks about my tattoos when I'm in my 70's, I'll have to remind them that I'm cooler than they are :3dglasses

ITA!:thumbsup2

Pirate Me
10-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm not saying anything about what other people think.

imabrat
10-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't care what I'll look like when I'm old.
I'm going to be ugly anyways, I'm not so hot now, so at the age of 50 when I've gained weight and have a wrinkled face from both laughing and frowning, there's not point in caring anymore for me.
By the time I'm like 70, I'll either be with a man who doesn't care what I look like because we've been together for so long, I won't be working. I may be staying at home, I may be in a nursing home.
By then, looks are done and over with. What I did in my liftetime is much more important than worrying about my skin wrinkling. Darling, skin doesn't look good no matter what when you're 80.

You are my hero!
I don't think I could've said it better myself.

PowerMonkey
10-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Grown-up here. I don't make it a point of hanging in this forum, but I noticed the thread title from the DIS main page.

What may seem like a good idea now, will almost definitely seem like a bad one in the future. I got a tattoo on my back in my mid-20s and I've regretted it ever since. Now that I am a dad, I don't like going to the community pool, because my neighbors see it. And we have a gym at work with showers and I am self conscience about co-workers and superiors seeing it. And explaining it to my kids sucks.

You aren't going to listen to me, but you should....don't do it. But if you do get one, make sure it is something that is not visible when you are wearing normal clothes. While you can't imagine it now, someday you will be in a position where you don't want someone to see it.

Oh....and it does hurt.

i agree that you shouldnt get it somewhere that is publically visible (hence why i want one on my back or chest)... cause the people during job interviews do pay attention to that stuff... it can be a factor for your employment... but really, no one else really cares... i doubt co workers will freak out about a tattoo... and im pretty sure superiors wont fire you just because you have one... and i think some old people with tattoos are really cool... the only tattoos that i can see someone regretting is the ones that say crap like "hot mamma" or having the name of a girlfriend... cause you are no longer a "hot mamma" at age 70 and you probably wont be with your old gf anymore haha..

disney100666
10-03-2007, 02:50 PM
congrats! I would like never get one but I love that idea Caitlin of Once Upon a Time, there some words I live by.

Pirate Me
10-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Oh....and it does hurt.

Thank you. Good points!

Lizbon
10-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't have any but I'm pretty sure, the more fat/ muscule on the area the less it hurts.

Sonya: I watch this show Wildfire and the main girl on the show has two open stars, one on each wrist. I will probably never get tattoos, just because (no reason) but I love the open star on the wrist look. :thumbsup2

My Own Little Corner
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I also hope when I am 70 years old which I consider not to be very old at all to be full of zest. I don't think getting my initial and what I feel is a symbol that I really like is going to grow old whether it be on my body or whereever it maybe. And to be honest about letting others see it. I could care less with what they think of it.

Sparx
10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I've got a long list of tattoos I plan to get. i'm going to get a gypsy scene on my left thigh. i'm going to get some ruby slippers and a gold top hat. I'm going to get a sparrow. I'm going to get a couple quotes. I'm going to get a heart. I'm going to get a ton of stuff.

And i'm getting it for me, not for you, not for my mom, not for my dad, not for my boyfriend. I'm getting it because those things are important to me, and they mean things. When I'm 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, etc, they will STILL mean what they meant when the ink went on. just because my skin will wrinkle around them doesn't mean that the meaning behind them will change.

::Snow_White::
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I could care less what I look like when I'm 50 and have a tattoo.
I'll just be one hip granny. xD
I would rather have it look really nice and awesome when I'm young and then just be there when I'm old then not have one at all!
My grandpa is actually 50 and he has his name...yes his name tattooed on his right shoulder. It still looks awesome. :D

AngelInDisguise
10-03-2007, 04:59 PM
you know that you could get skin cancer from having tatoos, at least I think you can???

imabrat
10-03-2007, 05:09 PM
you know that you could get skin cancer from having tatoos, at least I think you can???

If it is true,I think I'd be able to deal with the skin cancer.;)

My Own Little Corner
10-03-2007, 05:40 PM

There is no evidence that the tattoos themselves can be the cause of Cancer. What the medical community has said is that people with dark inked tattoos make it very difficult to detect moles that can become Cancerous or change in size or shape.

Ileana
10-03-2007, 05:54 PM
i agree that you shouldnt get it somewhere that is publically visible (hence why i want one on my back or chest)... cause the people during job interviews do pay attention to that stuff... it can be a factor for your employment... but really, no one else really cares... i doubt co workers will freak out about a tattoo... and im pretty sure superiors wont fire you just because you have one... and i think some old people with tattoos are really cool... the only tattoos that i can see someone regretting is the ones that say crap like "hot mamma" or having the name of a girlfriend... cause you are no longer a "hot mamma" at age 70 and you probably wont be with your old gf anymore haha..

Absolutely!

Just remember that Generation X & Y have brought Tattoos & Professionalism into the workplace. While we've brought them in, we've brought them in quietly, discretely & tastefully (and that's subjective in & of itself).

The best advice you've received in this thread is to put your tattoo somewhere it can be easily hidden when you are dressed for work. While tattoos are becoming more & more accepted, tattoos on the arms are still not viewed upon favorably.

Be smart about your decisions :hippie:

My Own Little Corner
10-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Absolutely!

Just remember that Generation X & Y have brought Tattoos & Professionalism into the workplace. While we've brought them in, we've brought them in quietly, discretely & tastefully (and that's subjective in & of itself).

The best advice you've received in this thread is to put your tattoo somewhere it can be easily hidden when you are dressed for work. While tattoos are becoming more & more accepted, tattoos on the arms are still not viewed upon favorably.

Be smart about your decisions :hippie:

Thank You, I will have my hair to cover it as I wear it down 99.9% of the time so it will not be very visible at all when it most necessarily doesn't have to be.

Pirate Me
10-03-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't know about skin cancer, but you can get infected because the ink comes in contact with your blood. (I think?)

Babyjustrun
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't know about skin cancer, but you can get infected because the ink comes in contact with your blood. (I think?)

Usually henna, the temporary one, gives infections and can really screw up your life.
This girl, had a horrible allergic reaction to it, and somehow it messed with her, and she couldn't be around other substances. She had wanted to be a hairdresser, but her life dream was gone, because she couldn't work with those substances.

My Own Little Corner
10-03-2007, 06:35 PM

Yes, that could possibly happen if you go to some shady tattoo palor which my parents are not going to allow me to go to. You can also get a serious infection if you are walking down the street and trip and fall and skin your knee and something gets into the cut and blood stream. There are specific instructions that you get about keeping the area clean and taking care of the site.

tigger/winnie/tink
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
when i'm older
stars in n a band around the bottom of my left leg
a fairy on the bottom of my back
a butterfly on my right foot
and a star on my back

i plan on getting the smallest ones at 18
and stretch it out till i'm 20 ending with my fairy

My Own Little Corner
10-03-2007, 06:37 PM
when i'm older
stars in n a band around the bottom of my left leg
a fairy on the bottom of my back
a butterfly on my right foot
and a star on my back

i plan on getting the smallest ones at 18
and stretch it out till i'm 20 ending with my fairy

That sounds totally awsome

Pirate Me
10-03-2007, 06:40 PM
These are great ideas. :)

My Own Little Corner
10-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Woo Hoo I am getting totally psyched for my tattoo. I am getting it tomorrow.

Pirate Me
10-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Awesome!

disneydance
10-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I will just put my $0.01 cents in here I know lots of people who have gotten tatoos and they all regret it they said that if they would think about it now again they would not do it. I dont plan on getting a tatoo because i know too many people who discourage it who have had many skin problems. Also i know lots of buissness owners that dont hire people w/ tattoos and they say it may look cool now but what would you think about it in 10 years from now. I dont plan on getting a tattoo but that is just me but have fun and i would love to see pictures of it!!!!!

My Own Little Corner
10-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I will just put my $0.01 cents in here I know lots of people who have gotten tatoos and they all regret it they said that if they would think about it now again they would not do it. I dont plan on getting a tatoo because i know too many people who discourage it who have had many skin problems. Also i know lots of buissness owners that dont hire people w/ tattoos and they say it may look cool now but what would you think about it in 10 years from now. I dont plan on getting a tattoo but that is just me but have fun and i would love to see pictures of it!!!!!

Well I am getting on the base of my neck and my hair will cover it unless I keep my hair up which i never do hardly. And I am not getting nothing huge just my initials and a smybol that I like that is kinda like Ying/Yang symbol. I will post pictures tomorrow. Tattoos are definetly not for everyone and that is o.k..

Pirate Me
10-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Thats a good idea that it will show when you want it to. I hope it doesn't hurt too much!

My Own Little Corner
10-06-2007, 04:20 AM
Thats a good idea that it will show when you want it to. I hope it doesn't hurt too much!

I hope it won't either, but no pain no gain.:lmao: Plus it will only hurt for so long.

imabrat
10-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Good Luck!
I hope everything goes well!

PS-Have you thought of maybe taking ibuprofen about an hour before so the pain isn't so bad?
I know it works with waxes,but I'm not sure about tattoos.

disneydance
10-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Congrats now let see pics now that you are just back!!!!!!

imabrat
10-06-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree,pics would be awesome!

My Own Little Corner
10-06-2007, 04:30 PM
OOps maybe I should so them on this thread too. Not just the other picture thread. Dummy me.

Getting the work done:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/myownlittlecorner/12.jpg

Final work: I am pleased. It is still a little red
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/myownlittlecorner/13.jpg

imabrat
10-06-2007, 04:32 PM
That's very neat!

XxCuriosityxX<3
10-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Looks awesome

My Own Little Corner
10-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Thank You both

Lizbon
10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
It looks neat. 2 questions:

How badly did it hurt, JW

and

What is the symbol exactly?

Babyjustrun
10-06-2007, 04:45 PM
it looks great!
it looks a little crooked though.

My Own Little Corner
10-06-2007, 04:46 PM
It looks neat. 2 questions:

How badly did it hurt, JW

and

What is the symbol exactly?

It mostly hurt with the filler ink on my initials, but not a whole lot.

As for the symbol it was a picture of a symbol I saw in a book and I loved it. I actually don't know what what it is exactly. It reminded me of a variation of the Ying/Yang symbol.

big_ol_lineman
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
no i dont have one.. yet.. im gettin my next month :cool1: yea it is either gonna be a cross or a trinity.. i still dont know

disneydance
10-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Love the tattoo what was the other guy doing on the other side not the one giving you the tattoo

My Own Little Corner
10-07-2007, 01:02 AM
it looks great!
it looks a little crooked though.

I actually don't think it is crooked it is just the way my neck and head is slightly tilted and my shoulders are not straight either.

TwistyMisty
10-07-2007, 04:31 AM
ewwww

Cheshire Kitty
10-08-2007, 11:21 AM
omg. that's so cute! i wanna get one when im older, cuz my mom would kill me if i got one now (unless I pulled a Jackson), anyway, i wanna get a black rose in the same area. I got an airbrush verson of the one I want in the future at Six Flags. my dad has a few, a shamrock, the Punisher symbol, kingdom come Superman (symbol), and me and my sister's name's which he had transferred from a peice of paper we wrote our names on. my grandpa has one that says 'Squeak' and something else. my step-uncle got a really elaborate cross with 'Christene' and 'Elizabeth' written over it.