PDA

View Full Version : How old were your kids when they first rode TOT?

disney-super-mom
09-29-2007, 03:24 PM
So how hold were your little ones when they first rode TOT? After they rode it for the first time, did they like it?

I'm still on the fence about taking the kids on this one.

DH and I rode TOT at WDW and it was kinda fun. DH liked it more than me, but I don't really like that 'if I opened my mouth I'm sure you'd see my stomach' feeling as much as he does.

DH thinks the kids would like it. I'm not so sure. So it's always nice to hear what others experienced with their kids.

PrincessIsis
09-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Our daughter was almost seven last year when she rode TOT at MGM. She liked it pretty well...no crying or anything. But, she did not want to ride it again.

This year she's done some upside down roller coasters and has become a little more of a thrill-seeker, so I bet she'll be on it at DL in November!

Hope you have a great trip!:cool1:

DisneyPhreak
09-29-2007, 03:48 PM
My son was 5. He was scared to death to go on it, but like a mean dad I made him :rotfl2: After we got off he said it wasnt that bad and actually kinda fun. I said, You wanna go again? He basically told me hell no in kid terms. :sad2:

The ride really isnt that bad at all. Its the psyche out games before you even get on the elevator that do the most damage.

bumbershoot
09-29-2007, 04:21 PM
The ride really isnt that bad at all. Its the psyche out games before you even get on the elevator that do the most damage.

I didn't go on it, but DH said that you can feel the brakes being applied, feel it slowing down. It's not as "freefall"ish as one expects.

I wonder if that knowledge, talking about it beforehand, could help a kid?

tinkerbelt
09-29-2007, 04:35 PM
DD is 4 and tall enough for it, but I haven't taken her yet. She loves thrill rides, but ToT seems like it would be too scary for her. I think we'll wait a year or two.

DangerMouse
09-29-2007, 04:54 PM
My 5 year old dd insists that she will be riding Space and ToT this November. She's usually pretty timid, so I'll be surprised if she follows through.

My other two did ToT when they were 6. Neither of them like the movie in the library, but they both love the ride.

SoonerGirl
09-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Mine were 10 & just turned 6 when they first rode it at MGM (we haven't been to DLR yet - that's next summer :cool1: ) Anyway, my younger DS was a little frightened by the theming but LOVED the ride itself, so much so that he rode two more times. The theming wasn't as scary to him after he knew what to expect.

Disney MAINEiac
09-29-2007, 05:30 PM
My youngest was 8, my oldest took more convincing he was 13

grumpyvet
09-29-2007, 05:47 PM
My DD7 has no fear when it comes to thrill rides....the theming creeped her out until she rode it...which we did when she was.....4.5 and we rode it 4 times in a row...until we had to go see the Jasmine show!!! NO tears...no whimpers...just, "can we do it again?".
So, obviously, depends on the kid!!

samkj
09-29-2007, 05:52 PM
My DD7 has no fear when it comes to thrill rides....the theming creeped her out until she rode it...which we did when she was.....4.5 and we rode it 4 times in a row...until we had to go see the Jasmine show!!! NO tears...no whimpers...just, "can we do it again?".
So, obviously, depends on the kid!!

My daughter was 5, but had basically the same reaction. She has no fear. My son will be turning 6 during our Nov trip and insists he's going on it, but I have my doubts. In February when we went he was still afraid of anything dark.

MinnieMouse73
09-29-2007, 05:52 PM
My daughter was 3 when she first rode it - she loved it, went straight back on and has ridden it several times since. This year, age 5, she rode it then said that although she liked it, she didn't want to go on again :confused: She still hasn't told us why! The funny thing is that my DH, who has never been brave enough for it, decided to give it a go this year and loved it - he couldn't get back on fast enough! So for the first time ever we had to do a child-swap! :lol

melbarkwith
09-29-2007, 06:12 PM
My DD was 5, and she loved it! I think she and my DH rode it about 6 times.
My 4yo DD was tall enough to ride, but was absolutely terrified by the appearance of the building.

Mel

disneyfaninaz
09-29-2007, 06:43 PM
My DD is now 7, she was tall enough to ride TOT at 4, but refuses to ride it. Which is fine. Her dad and I enjoy it very much. That's why we take the grandparents!

DLVixen
09-29-2007, 06:46 PM
My youngest son rode it for his 5th birthday in april and has since rode it half a dozen times, at least once per trip. Dh & I aren't huge fans of ToT but Ds(12) insists he do it 2-3 times per trip. So after we hesitantly let Ds(12) take his brother Ds (5) on it alone :scared: After much reassurance that he would hold on to his little bro for dear life :lmao: Now it is "their" ride, they go on it togethere everytime and they both LOVE it! I guess it all depends on your child, mine are total thrillseekers and most FL rides kinda bore them, but DH & I still like them so it's okay :goodvibes

Anater
09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
My daughter was 3 when she first rode it - she loved it, went straight back on and has ridden it several times since.

Three? Wow! My son will be turning four during our trip in December and I was convinced that we would just skip this ride because it would be too scary. After reading these posts, maybe we'll give it a try....after some other milder rides of course!

flyinshirer
09-29-2007, 08:04 PM
My girls have been on TOT. The first time was when they were 5 and 7. My girlfriend took her DD on it when she was 4. I am taking my niece who is turning 5 in Dec to DL and was wondering if she would be ready. I almost think she would be too scared. We'll see.......

gnbuggy
09-29-2007, 08:45 PM
My friend told her then 8 and 7 years old that my Dnieces go on it (they were 9 and 6 at the time). Both kids freaked. Told my friend she was a mean mommy. When they got back she said "they ride TOT right?" I said heck no, are you kidding? My nieces are still not ready for that ride, and that was 1 1/2 years ago. She had to buy the picture, her daughter was curled up in a ball on the seat, head tucked in.

IluvDISNEYLAND!
09-29-2007, 10:11 PM
After we got off he said it wasnt that bad and actually kinda fun. I said, You wanna go again? He basically told me hell no in kid terms. :sad2:

You ad me laughing out loud on this comment!:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

JenDisneylandlver
09-29-2007, 10:59 PM
My son is 9 and has still not rode it, and says he has no plans to on this next trip! LOL In June he rode Screamin for the first time and really liked it. But he doesn't like the sound of just falling like that in the dark. Can't say I blame him, I won't go on (yes I'm a big chicken!).

tigerlilly
09-29-2007, 11:39 PM
My daughter rode when she was 3 (in WDW) and she loved it. We had been in WDW almost a week when we took her on it. By that point she had ridden BTMR, Splash and everything in between and loved dark and scary (who knew!). She really wanted to go (DH was like Lets take her!!). So we did and she loved it. We rode 3 times in a row.
She is a thrill seeker today (11 and prefers Six Flags rides ;) ) and she loves to read (the stranger and scarier the better for her books).
My son was 4yo (in WDW and DL) when he rode (DD was 9 by then) and he loved it too (not as much...mostly likes the drop but not the opening).

Guess what I am trying to say is that it depends on your child's personality. If they freak out on Peter Pan best not do TOT. We have friends who's children still won't do POC and they are 12 and 9 so each child is different. You know your children. Have a great time.

Colorado DISers
09-29-2007, 11:46 PM
5 for both DD's. They hated :scared1: it at first, but went on a few more times and loved :love: it ever since.

JennHales
09-29-2007, 11:53 PM
My DD was 5 it's been over 3 1/2 years and I still feel guilty.

My son is 6 and refuses to go on splash mountain. So I am guessing tower of terror is out too.
Jen

sharbaer
09-30-2007, 12:40 AM
My nephew was days short of 8yrs and he and I hated it, whereas his sister, my niece was 9 and she and my hubby loved it. The TOT pic show me and my nephew looking miserable and about to cry and my niece and hubby grinning for joy. I don't mind rollercoasters but hate that dropping stomach in your throat feeling. I think it will depend on the child or adult. :goodvibes But I have a feeling we're both going to be drafted to do the ride again!

BraMax
09-30-2007, 01:12 AM
My 4 year old went on it this past summer with DH. In the picture he had the sheer terror look on his face. When he came down he said he wouldn't do it again. Then the next day he wanted to go again. If you ask him what his favorite ride is at DL he will tell you TOT lol. My 7 year old won't even consider it. I think it depends on the child. All you can do is give it a go and if they don't like it or are unsure don't do it again.

Mililani Mouser
09-30-2007, 02:16 AM
my oldest son was 11 when we first went. he was in tears when i made him stand in line with me, so i had to bribe him and he felt better. he kept trying to give me excuses to get out of line because he was so scared, especially when you hear people screaming upstairs. after we rode it, he said it was the best ride there! this was his first 'big' ride, there are no amusement parks or roller coaster type things here in hawaii.

bouncy54
09-30-2007, 06:46 AM
When my grandson was 7 years old, we took him to WDW. He totally freaked out on Stitch, which is basically a "show" that is set in the dark. It has some sensory effects, but really not much to it. :confused3

Of course, we thought he would not even consider going on SM or TOT but the little stinker surprised us...he absolutely loved them and rode both several times. :)

When we go to DL in November, we are taking our other grandson who is 5. DD and I are not sure about taking him on TOT. We thought we'd start him out on more gentle rides like Pirates and Soarin', then work our way up to Splash, SM, Star Tours and then TOT. I don't know if we'll be able to coax him onto the HM at all...he's super-sensitive to the idea of ghosts. He totally believes in them and claims to have seen a few. :scared:

Different kids have different fears and I guess all we adults can do is try to be sensitve to those fears.

slp87
09-30-2007, 08:17 AM
My DD was 5 and loved it.

My daughter was 3 when she first rode it - she loved it, went straight back on and has ridden it several times since. This year, age 5, she rode it then said that although she liked it, she didn't want to go on again She still hasn't told us why! The funny thing is that my DH, who has never been brave enough for it, decided to give it a go this year and loved it - he couldn't get back on fast enough! So for the first time ever we had to do a child-swap! :lol

When my DD was 2 her favorite ride was HM. We rode it 6 times our first trip. When she was older, she rode it again and got a little freaked out. She insisted they had added some stuff. I just think she had gotten more of an awareness of scary things.

DLovinFam
09-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, my oldest went on it when she was 13, but that's only because they didn't have it yet when we went in 2000. She was 8 then and would have gladly gone on it. She is my thrill seeker.

My other two children didn't want to go on it last time and neither did I. I just might force myself to go on it next time though. I just hate rides with big drops. I can do it though, I can do it!

yipee
09-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Our DDs were 5 and 7 and they LOVED it! It was one of their favourites and we rode it LOTS! They can't wait to go again.

momlady
09-30-2007, 02:38 PM
DS11 (at the time) and DS8 rode ToT with me this past March. DS8 said "best ride EVAH!!!!!!"; DS11 said "did you like that, mom?" and when I shook my head and said "not really" he said "me neither".....and as for me, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! LOL

But we had to do Rockin Space Mountain several times a day!! Didn't get to Screamin' this trip but I am thinking that next time it will be a go!

MinnieMouse73
09-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Three? Wow!

Yes, and she would have done it the year before if she'd been tall enough! She spent a year telling us "I'm eating all my vegetables so I can grow up tall enough to go on that 'up and down ride' next year"! We were VERY pleased that she made the height!

It was really funny when I took her at that age, as people would sort of look at this little girl waiting in line - I'm sure they thought she was going to freak out! The very first time she went on we bought the photo as it was hilarious - there are all these adults looking petrified, then my little 3-year-old just looking around very casually as if to say "what's all the fuss about?"!

Nora94
09-30-2007, 08:39 PM
we did the WDW one when our dd was exactly the height that she could go - she was almost 6 yrs old - and she rode it 3 times, once with a girl she had just met (we waited at the exit for her with our other dd, I went through the whole que with her and the other mom and kid, don't worry.)

She LOVED it, named it as her favorite ride.
Nora

disneycrazzzy
10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Our son was 5 or so when he first rode it. It took a bit of encouraging.
He rode several times and declared he loved it. Since he was 8 or so, he hasn't ridden it. Once he was old enough to understand all around him; he won't ride it. He is almost 6' tall and 13 years old and weighs 170 lbs. He wouldn't ride it last year. We will try again this month.

My 10 year old son started riding it at 5 or 6 and has always enjoyed it.

Every kid is different. Be careful in how you encourage them to ride....

pixiewings71
10-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Mine was 6 last year and she was the one who wanted to go on it. I didn't (fear of heights/falling) and my 10 y.o. skipped out too. DD6 went with DBF, she LOVED it!!!! This year she convinced me to go too and her sister went as well. I didn't like it but I will continue to ride it for a while because she loves it so much.....she kept me laughing because her legs were just flying up and she was cracking up too.