PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Lens question

RBennett
09-26-2007, 05:31 PM
For anyone out there that has looked for a decent zoom lens on their DSLR, they know what I'm going through. There are certain times in a young photographers life when they just need that extra....UMMPH!! So here's my question: I am currently looking at lenses on BC and I came across this one Pentax smc P-FA 75-300mm f/4.5-5.8 AL (Black) - Telephoto Auto Focus Zoom Lens http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd267/Disney_Pooh_Girl/Lens.jpg

And it looks too good to be true!! Is there something about this thing that I'm just not seeing?? I know there are more and more Pentax owners out there so I thought someone might have seen this or read about it. TIA for any help!!!!!

ukcatfan
09-26-2007, 08:04 PM
It is actually a FAJ lens and not very impressive from what I hear. The entire FAJ line is not highly respected. Do a search at http://www.pentaxforums.com/ or http://www.dpreview.com/ for user opinions. Is it better than a p&s, probably. Can you do better, easily. You typically find it in the silver color instead of black.

http://www.photodo.com/product_335.html

Kevin

Groucho
09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Well, put it this way... that lens is about $130 and their new 50-135mm lens is about $950 - that $130 one is probably not going to win any awards. :)

I think it's supposed to be not terrible, but certainly not great. The 50-200mm is supposed to be better.

I wouldn't mind more reach too - I'm thinking that I might wait to see how expensive the upcoming 60-250mm F2.8 turns out to be. I'm sure it'll be expensive and big and heavy, but might just be worth it!

Master Mason
09-27-2007, 09:03 AM
at f/4.5 to f/5.8, it will work fine on a bright sunny day outside, but it will struggle if the light is less than optimal, rember you need to have a shutter speed of about 450 to be sure to prevent camera shake at 300 with a 1.5 conversion factor.

Groucho
09-27-2007, 09:53 AM
The Photodo reviews indicate that the lens is a bit soft with some chromatic aberration, but a couple people seem happy - much of it is just how closely you're going to look at the photos that you take. Don't look too close and you'll be happy. :)

I did just read that Pentax is apparently planning to release an 18-250mm lens before Christmas, which is somewhat related to the Tokina 18-250mm but supposedly improved (and not just the coating.) That may be an option too, but I don't think it's been officially announced yet so there aren't many details.

The downside is that their fast prime 200mm and 300mms got delayed to push this 18-250mm lens into production as quickly as possible. :(

RBennett
09-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, put it this way... that lens is about $130 and their new 50-135mm lens is about $950 - that $130 one is probably not going to win any awards. :)

I think it's supposed to be not terrible, but certainly not great. The 50-200mm is supposed to be better.

I wouldn't mind more reach too - I'm thinking that I might wait to see how expensive the upcoming 60-250mm F2.8 turns out to be. I'm sure it'll be expensive and big and heavy, but might just be worth it!

Well, I'm really wanting something by the first of December because I am going on our first cruise and I am also going to be staying in the parks for a couple days after and this is my first trip with the new camera, so..... another lens suggestion that ukcatfan suggested is the Tamron 75-300mm. Now I'm trying to figure out which is better: Pentax 50-200 or Tamron 75-300. And so I just want to make sure I get something that I'm not going to be replacing in the next month or so. Thanks everyone for your help!! Keep it coming!!

RBennett
09-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Ok.... so here's an update right now. Pentax, Sigma, and Tamron all have zoom lenses of either 50-200mm, 70-300mm, or 75-300mm, respectively. The thing is, each one has the same aperture available of f/4-5.6. So what do I go on now to make my decision?? The range?? Or is one quality better than the other two that would make a difference?? Thank you all for your help!!!

Jeanne B
09-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I currently have the 18-55 and 50-200 and I've spent the last week or so trying to decide how to replace this combination. I finally made my choice yesterday and my new Tamron 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 arrived from buydig today. Normally I wouldn't want a lens with such a wide range but I've read very good things about this lens and it's image quality as compared to other lenses in a similar focal range. My primary goal was to find a walkaround lens since I was changing lenses more often than I wanted to so after much agonizing this seemed like my best fit (I was also considering the Sigma 17-70 in combination with my 50-200). I'm not quite ready to give up my 50-200 though, I think I'll wait until I can play with the new Tamron a bit. I'm also going on a cruise in December and I'm looking forward to changing lenses less often than usual when vacationing (although I have a fisheye and the 50mm 1.4 so I haven't completely eliminated changing lenses, that will never happen:) ).

I've also read good things about the Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro and I've had that one sitting in my shopping cart at Amazon for a couple of weeks now. I found I never had enough reach with the 50-200 and the 18-250 will give me a little more but still not quite enough in certain situations so I may get the 70-300 sometime in the near future along along with a 1.4x TC. The price is good and I've read good things about it with the exception of the purple fringing that it seems to be known for but that should be fixable with PP.

I don't know that I've helped you answer your question in any way but I know what you're going through trying to make a decision!!:crazy2: