PDA

View Full Version : Boy I am glad I not you guys/gals

TomD
09-26-2007, 09:38 AM
My DW is :furious: with you.(And bette you then me I might add:thumbsup2 )

I ordered the canon Rebel XT. It is due to arrive next week. I am looking forward to learning how to use it to get pictureslike youa ll post. I know it will take some time but I will get there.

I also ordered a 2 gig card and a back up battery.

From reading previous posts I know the lens that comes with it is not the greatest. Coming from a Canon S45 I figure the pictures will be better then that out of the box till I can purchase a different lens or 2.

Is my above assumption correct or do I really need to buy at least 1 other lens right away?

If I do need another lens what do you suggest. I know there are posts somewhere in here but the search feature and my work PC do not like each other.

Also should I bring my S45 just in case when we head to Disney on the 14th?

Miss Kelly
09-26-2007, 09:51 AM
I think you should just learn your camera first. The kit lens will be fine for that. If your itching for another lens, buy the 50 f/1.8 lens. It's about $60-70 new. Have Fun! :)

boBQuincy
09-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Let your DW know that we are here to help! Any spare $$$ you have, we will help you spend them! ;)

The kit lens is a lot better than many people give it credit for. Try to keep it a stop or two down from wide open (f/8 is always good) and it will give very good results.
As mentioned, the 50 f/1.8 is always a good deal and will give you great low light capability. After that you might want something with a longer reach, the 55-200 is decent for the price.

Watch the settings in the viewfinder to see what the camera is doing under varying light conditions. If the shutter speed gets slower than about 1/30 remember to use some sort of camera support (like a conveniently located Disney trashcan). In the "Auto - green rectangle" mode the ISO is limited to 400 as I recall. For low light you may want to switch to "P" mode and use ISO 800.
Have fun!

TomD
09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Let your DW know that we are here to help! Any spare $$$ you have, we will help you spend them! ;)

Have fun!

Thanks I knew I could count on others to help me spend some $:rotfl2: