PDA

View Full Version : Best camera/upload features...

Suzimom
09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
I'll start here...I may post in another forum, but thought this is best...

Most of our Christmas is going to be spent on DS and a few series DVDs and movies. I do want a digital camera for myself to use at Disney next summer (and for other purposes, of course!!). Here's where I would love some help! DS got a small digital from Santa last Christmas that completely eclipsed our film cameras...I want a digital that is easy to use and easy to download on our dinosaur computer (our 8-9 year old Gateway -- gee, aw, shucks, we do need a new one..some day!!)...:lmao:

Help!! What are your AFFORDABLE and EASY-TO-USE suggestions??!!! How will I know how to use it & upload photos to the disboards??? (of course that's my main concern!!):rotfl:

Thanks -:cool2:
Susan

OhMari
09-26-2007, 07:47 AM
We have a photography board, I am going to move you over there. Hopefully you will receive more replies.

My dd has a Casio and she loves her camera. It is a 6 pixel. I think anything with a nice zoom lens and a high pixel above 6 is were you want to start. Try them out in the stores. If it doesn't zoom in nice, don't get it.

Nikel
09-26-2007, 09:07 AM
What's your definition of affordable?

Downloading is really quite easy. Get a card reader. Then you just put the memory card in the card reader and plug it in to a usb port on the computer. To upload them to here, get an account with someplace like photobucket. After you uplaod them, you'll have an option to edit and resize. The code will already be under the images. For here, use the one ith them [img] tags around it. Then just copy the code and paste it into your post.

LPZ_Stitch!
09-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Is ~$350 "affordable"?

If so, the Canon S3/S5 is VERY popular here on the DIS. It's also a bestseller on a lot of camera sites and scores very high in most ratings.

For the price, you get a (fairly) compact camera (easily fits in a jacket pocket or a larger purse) with a powerful zoom (take a look at my pictures from my last trip (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1590803); many -- like the Nemo, Everest, Fantasmic! and Indiana Jones -- were taken from *far* away), fast response, excellent stereo video and fantastic battery life on NiMH AA's and a really cool folding/rotating LCD.

fitzperry
09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
This is a good place to start your search: http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera/inputSummary.do. You answer some questions about what you're looking for in a camera and it will suggest several models that fit your criteria.

WRT the other poster's comments about zoom and resolution, look for optical zoom, not digital. Most digital p&s cameras have at least 3x optical zoom. Digital zoom is essentially cropping your image. It doesn't matter if the camera has it (lots of p&s cameras do), just don't use it unless you have to because it significantly degrades image quality.

I disagree that you shouldn't consider anything with fewer than 6 megapixels. A 3 megapixel camera can produce images that will print well at 5x7 and even larger. Of course the vast majority of digital cameras on the market today have more than 3 megapixels. The problem you should watch out for is that cramming too many pixels onto a tiny little sensor can cause problems with image quality and produce noise (i.e., grainy looking pictures that will make you wish for your old film camera). In other words, don't assume that a 10 megapixel camera is automatically going to produce better images than one with 6. In fact, the opposite may be true, and most people will never print anything so large that a 6 megapixel camera wouldn't be plenty.

Nikel
09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
....and most people will never print anything so large that a 6 megapixel camera wouldn't be plenty.

I completely agree. I've printed 16x20s from my S3, which is only 6 mp. I could go larger with no problems.

MarkBarbieri
09-26-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't have any advice on specific cameras, but I do have some general advice. A camera is only a part of your overall photography system. Make sure that you budget for all of the things that you want. You'll need to buy a memory card(s) for it as few cameras ship with a large enough one. You might also consider buying a card reader, photo editing software, a printer, a tripod, extra batteries, etc. You probably don't need any of those things, but they can be beneficial. It might make sense to spend a little less of your budget on the camera and a little more on the other items.