PDA

View Full Version : extended warranties

TwingleMum
09-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm looking at the Canon S5 and Canon Powershot A650. I'm thinking of buying either from Beachcamera or Best Buy. Beachcamera has the better price and I could get an extended warrenty but it seems limited. Best Buy is more expensive but their warrenty is very good (covers everything ~ dropping, dirt/sand etc). Were you concerned about warrenties???

DisneySuiteFreak
09-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm looking at the Canon S5 and Canon Powershot A650. I'm thinking of buying either from Beachcamera or Best Buy. Beachcamera has the better price and I could get an extended warrenty but it seems limited. Best Buy is more expensive but their warrenty is very good (covers everything ~ dropping, dirt/sand etc). Were you concerned about warrenties???

You should find out what the standard manufacturer's warrantees are and then decide if you want to invest in an extended warrantee. Also, Best Buy in my area price matches reputable oline retailers, so you may want to ask if they'll price match and then use the difference to purchase any extended warrantee.

andromedaslove
09-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey everyone.... I was out fo town yesterday, another one of those last minute WDW trips. Truthfully, it's our last WDW trip for at least a few years and it was the last weekend we could go on our AP's. Since I got back late and I am running horribly behind I figured that I would go ahead and extend the entries until tonight, and get the contests all posted tomorrow. Maybe then I can get the house work caught up today!!

Take Care,
Dana

CPM
09-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Cool! :thumbsup2 Hope you had fun!

boBQuincy
09-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Last trip for a few years? I sure hope not! After running all these contests for Disney photos you deserve to see the real thing, and often.

andromedaslove
09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Last trip for a few years? I sure hope not! After running all these contests for Disney photos you deserve to see the real thing, and often.

I know, the idea of not going back for a few years is REALLY difficult for me to deal with. I mean, DH and I honeymooned there 7 years ago, and have been going constantly since our first son was born 6.5 years ago. Unfortunately, Disney has really upped their prices, and Universal has made it too hard to say no anymore. Our children are old enough to enjoy more things at Universal, and we can get a 2 yr AP for less than the price of 1 yr at WDW. I think the straw that finally broke the camels back (that is to say my final straw) was the fact that when I was planning a vacation for October Disney released a General Public discount that was better than what I could have gotten for an AP discount. I know it sounds selfish, but as much money as I spend their on a regular basis, they ought to give me a better discount than someone that is only going to come once.

I am still gonna be there in Oct for the TOT race at MGM, and I will be going back in January for the 5k at Animal Kingdom, and the Marathon through all parks, but I won't actually be visiting the parks. Just running through them!! I had already paid for all 3 of these races, and theres no refunds so I am still gonna go, especially since I promised DS6 that he and I would do the 5k at Animal Kingdom together now that he can run that distance. I couldn't let him down.

I am sure that in a few years we will go back, but we are really trying to vary what we do. We have done Disney exclusively for more than 6 years. DH thinks (and I kinda agree) that we need to expose the kids to things other than Disney. So for the next couple of years we'll do Universal, then maybe the next year take a couple of really neat cruises, and maybe after that we'll head back to WDW. I know that I also have one more day that we will be going back to WDW. The day DS2 is 40" we will get a one day park hopper and run from park to park letting him ride all of the things he is still too short for now. He almost broke my heart yesterday when he couldn't get on Thunder Mountain. So DH promised we would come back for 1 day and do it all as soon as he was tall enough.

Ok, done rambling now!! :thumbsup2

Dana

TwingleMum
09-25-2007, 11:13 AM
You should find out what the standard manufacturer's warrantees are and then decide if you want to invest in an extended warrantee. Also, Best Buy in my area price matches reputable oline retailers, so you may want to ask if they'll price match and then use the difference to purchase any extended warrantee.

WOW!!! Thats good to know about Best Buy. The prices I looked at where from Beachcamera and Butterfly Photo. It would be great if they price matched.

andromedaslove
10-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Because I was so behind last week and didn't get the contests posted until Wednesday, I would like to give everyone one more day to get their photos entered. Everyone has until tonight at 10pm EST, and photo contests will be up bright and early tomorrow morning!!

Dana

decomouse
10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
So are we still entering the signs contest? And do the signs have to be from a resort?

mabas9395
10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I think the Character contest is the most current one.

Gdad
10-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Because I was so behind last week and didn't get the contests posted until Wednesday, I would like to give everyone one more day to get their photos entered. Everyone has until tonight at 10pm EST, and photo contests will be up bright and early tomorrow morning!!

Dana

Does this mean I can add a frame to my entry?

J/K :lmao:

scottie
02-29-2008, 06:59 PM
As I narrow down my dslr and lens selection, I have started to look at 3rd party extended warranty from the likes of Mack and Square Trade. Are there any other companies out there I should consider? Has anyone had to use the warranty they purchased, and were you happy with the service?

MICKEY88
02-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I've purchased both I bought mack 5 year warranties with my Minolta A2 And my Minolta 7D.. fortunately I haven't had the need to use them yet..

I also bought a square trade warranty witha used slr I bought off of ebay, again no need to use it, but that one was only like 10 dollars for 1 year, I knew the camera would only be used for a few months in Italy

I have seen MAck recommended in many places, they are supposed to be very reliable..

scottie
03-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I wonder if I am better off paying the extra for the full protection or the lesser amount to just cover manf. defects for a few years? The full protection is about 2 to 3 times the price of the manf defect only coverage.

PoohJen
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi all!

I'm one who never subscribes to extended warranty plans for anything.

However...

I am wondering if anyone has ever gotten - and used - such a plan for their camera. Where did you service it, what response did you get?

I am looking to upgrade to Canon 40D with kit and possible 70-200 L USM f/4. I saw an extended warranty offered, and hence this question!:surfweb: :thumbsup2

MICKEY88
03-30-2008, 09:29 PM
what type of warranty...

Mack, ritz..etc...

some are simply an extension of the manufacturers warranty, others also cover accidental damage

PoohJen
03-30-2008, 09:49 PM
This was offered via Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/4-Year-Service-Digital-Cameras-999-99/dp/B000CO90Q4/ref=acc_glance_foto_sp__1_tit) A four year service plan for $110, so figure $28/year.

from the site:
If your product breaks, we fix it. If we canít fix it, we replace it.

You get two or three years of service protection [uh, this is a 4 year plan!]from the date of purchase:

Get Service in Just 3 Steps
Step 1 Call customer assistance at
(800) 861-9387.
Step 2 We'll schedule service for your product through our network of over 25,000 providers.
Step 3 Your product is fixed, and we pay the bill.

100% of parts and labor are covered from the date of purchase. Support is always available with 24-hour, toll-free customer assistance at (800) 861-9387. Nationwide service is available from more than 25,000 prescreened service professionals. You can even get in-home service on qualifying products, mirroring the manufacturer's warranty. Our "no lemon" guarantee ensures that if your covered product requires more than three repairs for the same problem, we'll replace it. This plan is transferable at no cost to a new owner if the product is sold or given as a gift. This plan is not available in Maine, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Coverage Comparison
Type of coverage Extended Service Plan Manufacturer's Warranty
All products Mechanical and electrical failures
Failures caused by normal wear and tear
Defects in workmanship and material
Damage from power surges
Failures caused by environmental factors, such as heat, dust, and humidity
Select products Remote control coverage for any electronic device that comes with a remote control

I'm impressed with the coverage, but wonder the timing for getting the camera back, and where they send it to. :confused3

Blessed_wth_Triplets
06-12-2008, 06:41 AM
I a bit skeptical...I just sold my sony P&S on ebay and the winner wants me to mail the reciept too. I mentioned that I had it so I could say what I originally paid for it at Bestbuy..but didn't say it was included. She said she wants it so the warranty is honored by sony with the reciept? Is this true? I bought it a little over 2 years ago? thanks.

Geoff_M
06-12-2008, 08:09 AM
It's true that in the US the only proof normally required for warranty service is the receipt. Once upon a time you also had to "register" your product when purchased, but requiring a customer to do so is against consumer protection laws in several states. Those laws basically make it so that you only need to prove that you purchased the product within the offered warranty period from an authorized retailer in order to meet your end of the deal. So, manufacturers have dropped the requirement that you mail in warranty cards and such when you buy a new product. However, they usually still do have "registration" cards in the packaging, but those are purely for marketing purposes in the hopes of gathering research data on you, your spending habits, and usually also try and get you on their promotional mailings list.

HOWEVER, very rarely do such manufacturer warranties extend past the original owner. Your eBay customer is hoping to pass themselves off as you in the event that they need service within the warranty period.

pyrxtc
06-12-2008, 08:13 AM
found this on dpreview.com

"If you buy a camera on Ebay make sure you get the original receipt. If you have a problem with the camera after the manufacture warranty runs out and Sony is willing to fix the camera because it was a fault of theirs, they usually require the original, or copy of the original receipt to fix the camera so that you will not have to pay for the repair. If you do not have the receipt, then you will have to pay for the repair yourself."

But I think two years after purchase is outside the warranty time and nothing that is wrong wiht it would be their fault anyways, or they wouldn't claim it after that time. Can you make a copy and send it to her, then she can't try to return it but she can make a copy to send to Sony in case of repairs.

polkadotladybug
06-12-2008, 08:26 AM
My 14 month old S3 fell off an end table two weeks ago - I had purchased the extended warranty from Staples. I called Staples (and was freaking because I only had the receipt - not the warranty info - I think I pulled it out at some point and forgot to refile it - bad habit of mine LOL). The honored the extended warranty with my receipt.

Now how that pertains to a 2+ year old camera - I don't know -but - I would send it if you have it - you don't need it now anyway, do you?

MICKEY88
06-12-2008, 09:32 AM
found this on dpreview.com

But I think two years after purchase is outside the warranty time and nothing that is wrong wiht it would be their fault anyways, or they wouldn't claim it after that time. Can you make a copy and send it to her, then she can't try to return it but she can make a copy to send to Sony in case of repairs.

When my 3 year old Minolta flash died, {2 years out of warranty} about 1 year ago, parts were no longer available to fix it, the repair center gave me a number to contact sony, sony offered to prorate the value of the flash if I could provide my receipt, luckily I found it, I scanned and emailed a copy to them and they sent me a check for 150, which was way more than I expected to get for it.. at the time I figured they were making an extra effort to pull MInolta users in to the Sony family,

DawnM
07-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Did you get an extended warranty on your camera?

I just ordered last night and think I can add it still if I need to.

I am just curious. We typically never buy extended warranties on electronics and have never had a need for it.....the only things that have gone out have been cheaper to fix than to have paid the warranty on.

Curious.

Thanks,

Dawn

MarkBarbieri
07-11-2008, 08:18 AM
No, and this is why.

Warranties are sold by businesses to make money. For that to work, they must charge more for the warranties than the total cost of the repairs. So while some people may benefit, on average the warranties cost more than the repairs.

I look at it as sort of "camera insurance." I insure things for which the cost would be extremely disruptive. I'm insured against car accidents, floods, fires, and other things that might cost me tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm not insured against minor nuisances that might cost me hundreds of dollars. If I could not afford to fix my camera if it broke, I might be tempted to insure against that possibility with and extended warranty. Since I can afford the repairs, I essentially self-insure and save money.

Geoff_M
07-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Warranties are sold by businesses to make money.True, but the same can be said for most health insurance plans.

I think there are a few "it depends" in answering the question. The biggest question is the cost of both the camera and the warranty. For example, when I bought my D2h, I was able to add a couple years of coverage for a low price... IIRC, ~$60. Given that a blown shutter can cost many hundreds of dollars to replace (and I knew people that had experienced such a problem), and pretty much anytime Nikon touches the camera you can expect the bill to be several times higher than $60, I bit the bullet. However, that was the only time I've bought one. I didn't buy one for my D70 because the cost of the body was so "low" in comparison, nor did I for my D300 (basically for the same reason). So did I need the warranty after all? No, I did have to send the D2h in for repairs to the meter, but it was covered under a Nikon recall due to a faulty board design. The same was true for my D70.

But I do agree that, with certain exceptions, they are a bad idea in general. My favorite example was last week when I sent to Office Depot to buy a wireless card for a PC that was on sale for $15... and they tried to sell me a "protection plan" for it!

polkadotladybug
07-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I've usually scoffed at the extended warranties - but when I bought my S3 - I went ahead and got it - it was 50 bucks, but I figured what the heck - I found the camera at a good price, so I'd add it on. that was April 2007. It was a 2 year warranty.

Fast forward to May 2008 - stupid me left my camera sitting on the end table - not in a case. One of my girls was walking by and bumped into it and knocked it off - it fell onto the carpet, but the door to the memory card section broke right off! ACK!

I took it back to Staples - told them the door broke off - I didn't give details, and they didn't ask. They were fully willing to replace the camera - no questions asked. Unfortunately I was not able to get another Canon S3 because they didn't carry it anymore! So I got the Canon S5 - a brand new one. I found a good price for that on another website - printed it out - and Staples matched the price.

Of course that warranty is null and void now - once you use it - that's it. So I did have to buy another one for the NEW camera - but I figure it's a small price to pay for a replacement if needed!

thomas998
07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't normally see any reason to buy a warranty on electronics... in general if something is going to crap out because of a bad part or defect it will happen fairly quickly... after a few months of useage the only likely problems will be from normal usage and that wouldn't be covered by some warranties anyways.... My theory is simply use the crap out of it for the first couple of weeks so any problem that exists will surface while I can still take it back easily... my goal is to be able to return it under the stores policy and not have to ever deal with the manufacturers warranty, I don't waiting weeks for a service center to return my stuff.

DVC Jen
07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
always always always and I have used it too. Well worth it - but then again it all depends on the warranty and how good the individual store is at honoring them.

both of my cameras were bought at a Wolf (Ritz) camera and thier extended warranties are really good. I can run over my camera with my car and they will replace if they can no repair it.

:thumbsup2

boBQuincy
07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
The odds are in your favor by not buying it. After getting a really hard time from Best Buy on their extended warranty I would definitely not buy one from them. My car radio was in and out three times for a total of about 9 weeks before they finally replaced it.

DawnM
07-11-2008, 09:16 PM
This is what I have always read too......I just spent $4000 on new appliances for the kitchen. We actually had the same exact appliances in CA, and we didn't get warranties on them either......in the 5 years we had the appliances, we had one thing go out, but DH was able to replace it for under $250 (the computer panel on the stove went out year 4). The warranty would have been $400 for 5 years.

I don't know why I am so worried about this. We never have bought them before.

Dawn

No, and this is why.

Warranties are sold by businesses to make money. For that to work, they must charge more for the warranties than the total cost of the repairs. So while some people may benefit, on average the warranties cost more than the repairs.

I look at it as sort of "camera insurance." I insure things for which the cost would be extremely disruptive. I'm insured against car accidents, floods, fires, and other things that might cost me tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm not insured against minor nuisances that might cost me hundreds of dollars. If I could not afford to fix my camera if it broke, I might be tempted to insure against that possibility with and extended warranty. Since I can afford the repairs, I essentially self-insure and save money.

DawnM
07-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I see health as an entirely different thing. I would never go without it, esp. now that I have 3 BOYS! We have already been to the ER several times and my youngest needed 3 surgeries and will need some more.

I will not go without car insurance either.

Dawn

True, but the same can be said for most health insurance plans.

I think there are a few "it depends" in answering the question. The biggest question is the cost of both the camera and the warranty. For example, when I bought my D2h, I was able to add a couple years of coverage for a low price... IIRC, ~$60. Given that a blown shutter can cost many hundreds of dollars to replace (and I knew people that had experienced such a problem), and pretty much anytime Nikon touches the camera you can expect the bill to be several times higher than $60, I bit the bullet. However, that was the only time I've bought one. I didn't buy one for my D70 because the cost of the body was so "low" in comparison, nor did I for my D300 (basically for the same reason). So did I need the warranty after all? No, I did have to send the D2h in for repairs to the meter, but it was covered under a Nikon recall due to a faulty board design. The same was true for my D70.

But I do agree that, with certain exceptions, they are a bad idea in general. My favorite example was last week when I sent to Office Depot to buy a wireless card for a PC that was on sale for $15... and they tried to sell me a "protection plan" for it!

jfulcer
07-11-2008, 09:26 PM
I must be really hard on cameras - we got the 4 year extended warranty at Best Buy when I bought my old Kodak. I broke the Kodak. It was replaced with a Canon - a step up. That Canon stopped working. It was replaced with another Canon - another step up. That Canon I broke. I replaced it with another Canon - another step up. That canon the LCD stopped working.

I'm now have the Canon S2 IS. All from the original purchase and a $50 warranty.

It's worked out good for me!

jann1033
07-11-2008, 09:57 PM
i never buy them...
i figure with a camera it has a 1 yr warranty after that unless i drop it or something am i really going to repair it or just upgrade to get another by the time it breaks which is usually after a number of yrs......maybe something like a $5000+ body i would if the warranty replaced it no questions asked.
canon (after a battle i admit) replaced a lens and my camera body( since they kept insisting either would be the cause of the problems i pretty much twisted their arm and made them)and it was slightly past the regular warranty but i had been dealing with it for months...if i had had an extended warranty i don't know if i would have had an easier time or not
I've always read/hear from consumer advocate types that they aren't worth it, you end up paying more than you use them. and considering how many "this is your last chance " offers they send me begging to get them ( i think i got 4 with escalating catastrophic scenarios for my washer alone :lmao: ) i kind of don't think they are really that concerned with my welfare;)

Geoff_M
07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I see health as an entirely different thing. I would never go without it, esp. now that I have 3 BOYS! We have already been to the ER several times and my youngest needed 3 surgeries and will need some more.

I will not go without car insurance either.I agree that camera repair certainly isn't a "life or death" issue, but my point was that you may not need it, but when you DO need it you'll be very glad you had it. In my case I was planning on using the camera a lot and when you have lots of precise moving parts in an object, the more you use it, the quicker it'll wear out parts. It's not uncommon for heavy users to exceed the "rated" number of frames the shutter was designed for and have to have it replaced. It turned out I didn't wear the D2h's shutter out within the extended time frame, but it's starting to "act up" now. When I let it set for 10 minutes or more, I'll get a "dark frame" the first frame I fire after I resume using it. Fortunately, it's my back-up now and I can live with it until it goes "critical".

DawnM
07-12-2008, 07:42 AM
And will you continue to get the warranty updated?

B&H wanted almost $400 for a 5 year warranty. Do you then pay an additional $400 for the next 5 years? That is the price of a new camera!!!!

I guess that is the way I looking at it.....can you see I am talking my way out of buying it?

Dawn

I agree that camera repair certainly isn't a "life or death" issue, but my point was that you may not need it, but when you DO need it you'll be very glad you had it. In my case I was planning on using the camera a lot and when you have lots of precise moving parts in an object, the more you use it, the quicker it'll wear out parts. It's not uncommon for heavy users to exceed the "rated" number of frames the shutter was designed for and have to have it replaced. It turned out I didn't wear the D2h's shutter out within the extended time frame, but it's starting to "act up" now. When I let it set for 10 minutes or more, I'll get a "dark frame" the first frame I fire after I resume using it. Fortunately, it's my back-up now and I can live with it until it goes "critical".

Tuffcookie
07-12-2008, 08:25 AM
I hardly ever do. My reason is, I am willing to pay for the repairs if it's my fault. If it's the manufacturer's faulty (re: poorly made and defective item) I will remember that the next time I have to purchase a like item again.

TC:cool1:

Geoff_M
07-12-2008, 08:44 AM
And will you continue to get the warranty updated?

B&H wanted almost $400 for a 5 year warranty. Do you then pay an additional $400 for the next 5 years? That is the price of a new camera!!!!

I guess that is the way I looking at it.....can you see I am talking my way out of buying it?

DawnI wouldn't buy one at that price. I got the D2h at a "clearance" price of $2K, so the ~$60 was a good deal for an extention.

DawnM
07-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Ah, yeah, that is inexpensive, although that camera is more than I am spending!

Dawn

I wouldn't buy one at that price. I got the D2h at a "clearance" price of $2K, so the ~$60 was a good deal for an extention.

dolce
07-13-2008, 02:02 PM
when buying a camera, do you normally buy the extended warranty?

MarkBarbieri
07-13-2008, 02:23 PM
See this thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1882353).

PhotobearSam
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Just wondering did you buy it? Should you have bought it? Do you regret it?

KCmike
01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I didn't but I am thinking I should have.
Just bought my first dSLR and am thinking of going back and getting the extra coverage. I still have within the first 90 days before they won't let me buy it.

My2Girls66
01-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I've never bought the extra coverage and luckily haven't regreted it...... yet.

ukcatfan
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
If you have a credit/debit card with purchase protection, then you already have a little more protection than just the basic warranty. I have used the protection before on a different consumer electronic, but not on a camera. It was replaced with a refurb just like most manufacturers would do.

wenrob
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
I had planned to but they wanted $329! My thinking is that the manufacture warranty is a year and then if I needed a repair it would probably be in that price range anyway. If it were to cost much more then that to fix it then I'd seriously have to consider buying a new body instead.

I had bought the warranty on my D40 and never used it. But it was only $79 at the time and transferable to my friend that I sold it to. In this case I'm glad I bought it because if anything goes wrong she has that to fall back on and there won't be any hard feelings.

One thing I always buy the warranty on however is TV's. I've used it on the last two I've had, this last TV had to be replaced twice in less then three months. In that case is was well worth the extra dollars spent.

Chikabowa
01-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I did not, nor would I.
I carry a special insurance policy specifically for my equipment. It runs me about $300/year.

Brad M
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM
For me, no extended warranty, on anything. My opinion: The company extending the warranty didn't get in the business to lose money. In setting the price and policies they've studied the statistics and they are in their favor. It's like playing roulette...once in a while you hit and it feels worth it but in the long run the house wins. At least roulette is fun. I get no pleasure out of paying extra for a warranty. Of course I don't feel the same way about auto/home/health/life insurance because the risk and potential cost is too high.

Just my humble opinion.

EnnEss
01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Those warranties are so expensive. Most breaks in anything electronic will happen early in its life or much later on. I had a camera die on me, it was covered under the initial one year warranty, took it to a rep, got it back one week later brand new parts, was great.

Those warranties are a hassle too. They dont cover so much and try to take back a piece of electronic hand held equipment, anything. If its some issue causing trouble they will invariably tell you it was water damage. You exposed it to rain and this damaged the internals. Warranty void. Or, its physical damage, you dropped it. There is no proof, but you have none either and it turns into a huge fight. Read those warranties, the people who wrote them know their stuff. I have 2 friends who had this happen with two separate items. They suggested he brought it into the shower. Best buy wouldnt honor it. The other one had a portable phone, like a cordless home one. The talk button broke. They told him it was misuse, that one actually got replaced after a few trips back and forth, but they had to give him an "equivalent model" that wasn't equivalent at all.

jann1033
01-13-2009, 08:34 AM
i've read so many times not to i never do. however, if i bought locally & it included cleaning or something i might..course my camera is a few yrs old and i haven't cleaned it yet so then again maybe not:rotfl:

PhotobearSam
01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
I bought the one offered on my XSi. It was $150 for 5 years but if I drop the camera it's covered and if they don't have XSi anymore, I get the version that replaces it.

We bought the 5 year extended warranty on our big screen TV and about 4 1/2 years later, they tried to fix a problem but could not after 30 days so we got a brand new 60 inch TV as a replacement. (the 52 inch still worked but we could not get one function to work...)

I think in this case (Since it covers drops as well as anything else that could happen to the camera) we did buy it.We deal with Futureshop directly for it and not through 3rd party. (Futureshop is like a Best Buy here in Canada)

DesertBell
01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I did on my DSLR, (Actually dh did!) because it covers anything that happens to it, even if it's my fault. I'm clumsy, so this is a good thing.

I did not on my p & S and regretted it one week later, when my son dropped it on the floor and broke the lens. (I don't think I have EVER been that mad at my poor kid.)

MarkBarbieri
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
For me, no extended warranty, on anything. My opinion: The company extending the warranty didn't get in the business to lose money. In setting the price and policies they've studied the statistics and they are in their favor. It's like playing roulette...once in a while you hit and it feels worth it but in the long run the house wins. At least roulette is fun. I get no pleasure out of paying extra for a warranty. Of course I don't feel the same way about auto/home/health/life insurance because the risk and potential cost is too high.

Just my humble opinion.

This is exactly the way I see it. An extended warranty is a form of insurance. In aggregate, purchasers of insurance lose money. It only makes sense to buy insurance when you either have more information than the seller or when the cost of the loss would be disruptively large.

Pea-n-Me
01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
If I bought an extended warranty on everything I own, I'd be in the poorhouse. So I tend to pick and choose carefully.

My mother's got an old junky dishwasher that should have been replaced years ago. She keeps up the warranty on it (to the tune of something ridiculous like $150/yr). She had the repair guy out the other day and he actually ordered so many parts for it, multiple boxes came on the UPS truck yesterday. :lmao: My mother keeps saying, "Good thing I kept up that policy!"

EnnEss
01-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I bought the one offered on my XSi. It was $150 for 5 years but if I drop the camera it's covered and if they don't have XSi anymore, I get the version that replaces it.

We bought the 5 year extended warranty on our big screen TV and about 4 1/2 years later, they tried to fix a problem but could not after 30 days so we got a brand new 60 inch TV as a replacement. (the 52 inch still worked but we could not get one function to work...)

I think in this case (Since it covers drops as well as anything else that could happen to the camera) we did buy it.We deal with Futureshop directly for it and not through 3rd party. (Futureshop is like a Best Buy here in Canada)

Just like to point out that FS doesn't cover drops. They sometimes tell you that, but its a flat out lie or they've since changed their policy. Read this thread.

http://www.futureshopforums.ca/futureshop/board/message?board.id=offtopicandfeedback&thread.id=4163

Specifically is a person who had buttons stop working and they told him it was because he dropped it (they have no way of knowing this) so it wasn't covered.

A lot of FS's warranties are commission, they get more commission off that than the item sold. Best buy gets no commission on the item but does on the warranty (I worked there, in Canada).

Im glad your TV worked out, but as I said earlier, on anything hand held they always try to.... well not help you, that's for sure.

For more proof, heres an investigative report the CBC said, pretty reliable I'd say, specifically about future shop. http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/money/extended_warranties/

I'd suggest reading your contract very closely. CBC found this out when they checked out the contract, "Goetz says he did not drop it ó but he decided to read the fine print. He found out that accidents are among a long list of things not covered by the Future Shop warranty. The store refused to take the mini-disc player back."

To sum up, I can not stand future shop or Best buy PhotoBearSam, you were probably lied to so that salesperson could get an extra few bucks. This seems to be the norm at Future Shop, I find them to be far more deceitful on average than Best Buy. Future Shop tried to expand to America once and failed miserably. The only reason they are here is because there is no competition. They'd be destroyed by their poor customer service in a bigger market.

Experiment_626
01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Most breaks in anything electronic will happen early in its life or much later on.Exactly why I wouldn't do this on a camera. The one exception for an electronic item I've made was actually my DVD player. After I had one fail on me 18 months after I bought it, I got an extended warranty on the replacement. I didn't need to use it, but it wasn't expensive, and I don't regret the extra peace of mind in that particular case.

SSB

Groucho
01-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Not I. DSLRs are pretty rugged, and a quick glance at Craigslist or eBay will quickly show you just how quickly they depreciate. (You can find plenty of <$300 DSLRs, including some really nice ones.)

PnSs won't have the reliability of a DSLR, but will depreciate much faster, so again, I can't see how it'd be worth it.

Besides, there's enough advances still going on that you'll probably want a newer camera if yours breaks when the warranty is up, anyway!

PhotobearSam
01-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Just like to point out that FS doesn't cover drops. They sometimes tell you that, but its a flat out lie or they've since changed their policy. Read this thread.

http://www.futureshopforums.ca/futureshop/board/message?board.id=offtopicandfeedback&thread.id=4163

Specifically is a person who had buttons stop working and they told him it was because he dropped it (they have no way of knowing this) so it wasn't covered.

A lot of FS's warranties are commission, they get more commission off that than the item sold. Best buy gets no commission on the item but does on the warranty (I worked there, in Canada).

Im glad your TV worked out, but as I said earlier, on anything hand held they always try to.... well not help you, that's for sure.

Thanks for the info...I'll look into it.
For more proof, heres an investigative report the CBC said, pretty reliable I'd say, specifically about future shop. http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/money/extended_warranties/

I'd suggest reading your contract very closely. CBC found this out when they checked out the contract, "Goetz says he did not drop it ó but he decided to read the fine print. He found out that accidents are among a long list of things not covered by the Future Shop warranty. The store refused to take the mini-disc player back."

To sum up, I can not stand future shop or Best buy PhotoBearSam, you were probably lied to so that salesperson could get an extra few bucks. This seems to be the norm at Future Shop, I find them to be far more deceitful on average than Best Buy. Future Shop tried to expand to America once and failed miserably. The only reason they are here is because there is no competition. They'd be destroyed by their poor customer service in a bigger market.

Thanks for the info...I'll look into it.

annnewjerz
02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I am considering selling one of my lenses to find a faster "kit" lens, as well as a wide-angle lens like the Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (I won't say which lens for fear of getting 10 responses about how I should keep it) ;)

My question is, I registered this lens for the extended warranty which cannot be transferred to the new owner if I sell it. The potential buyer would like to know if I would work with them if they purchase it and something happens to the lens...i.e. if they pay for shipping, can I send the lens into Nikon for a repair for them.

Am I allowed to do this?? :confused3

wenrob
02-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't know if it's "allowed" but it was my agreement w/my friend who was going to buy mine but didn't. I don't see why it would be a problem if it's coming from you. You have a buyer lined up already? Maybe I should send mine to you and let you do my wheeling and dealing for me!:thumbsup2

annnewjerz
02-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't know if it's "allowed" but it was my agreement w/my friend who was going to buy mine but didn't. I don't see why it would be a problem if it's coming from you. You have a buyer lined up already? Maybe I should send mine to you and let you do my wheeling and dealing for me!:thumbsup2

:lmao: I'm not much of a wheeler and dealer, more of a persistent pesterer (is that even a word??). I don't have anyone lined up per se, someone is waiting on a tax return and would like to buy it...but I'll tell you, I am doing some major flip flopping on this one. I think I'm going to try it out on my D90 stopped down a bit this weekend to see what I think before I give a firm "yes" to anyone.

MICKEY88
02-10-2009, 11:22 PM
my thoughts on this..

I have never sold a lens to buy another one, the only lens I've parted with, was given to a wonderful friend, as payback for a huge favor she did for me, it was a lens I had owned for 2 years and never used because it was 1 of 3 that I had that covered the same focal length,

the reason I don't oart with lenses is , it's never a bad thing to have a backup lens in case of an accident..

KAT4DISNEY
02-11-2009, 12:57 AM
my thoughts on this..

I have never sold a lens to buy another one, the only lens I've parted with, was given to a wonderful friend, as payback for a huge favor she did for me, it was a lens I had owned for 2 years and never used because it was 1 of 3 that I had that covered the same focal length,

the reason I don't oart with lenses is , it's never a bad thing to have a backup lens in case of an accident..

Wow! Do we know this person? :rolleyes1

annnewjerz
05-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Just wondering if anyone has successfully had a card replaced under the SanDisk lifetime warranty and if so, what your experience was like? Did they replace the card?

A month ago I had a problem where old photos would show up in the middle of a new batch that I was uploading them to my computer. I had formatted the card in camera before use, I had turned the camera off before removing the card and uploaded with a card reader.

This has happened on two different occasions. I have been able to figure out the card that did it most recently, but I'm not sure if this is the same card that I had problems with earlier this year.

I'm not concerned about getting the missing images back at this point, but I would like to ensure that it isn't going to happen again while shooting something that's actually important.

Quicklabs
05-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Ann! I had them replace a card under the warranty. No problems at all!

annnewjerz
05-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi Ann! I had them replace a card under the warranty. No problems at all!

Niceeeee. Thanks Laura! :thumbsup2

PS: I'll be e-mailing you this week re: trip stuff, so keep your eyes peeled!

ukcatfan
05-30-2009, 05:48 PM
This probably does not apply to you, but be aware that the term "lifetime warranty" can be deceiving. The lifetime is the company's arbitrarily expected life of the product. I believe Sandisk is a ten year (could be wrong), but I believe most "lifetime" brands are five years.

annnewjerz
05-30-2009, 06:57 PM
This probably does not apply to you, but be aware that the term "lifetime warranty" can be deceiving. The lifetime is the company's arbitrarily expected life of the product. I believe Sandisk is a ten year (could be wrong), but I believe most "lifetime" brands are five years.

Good info. That's what I figured, that my lifetime was not what they were referring to---otherwise most people would just keep on recycling their old crappy cards for new ones. Mine is less than a year old, so hopefully they'll just be nice and give me a new one!

GrumpyOne
05-30-2009, 10:43 PM
It's as long as the original purchaser owns the card. It's 10 years in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

ukcatfan
05-30-2009, 11:26 PM
It's as long as the original purchaser owns the card. It's 10 years in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Our wonderful laws here in the US mean that the manufacturer can call a lifetime whatever they want. We have many laws that allow consumers to be deceived by marketing.

wdwmom2
05-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Just wondering if anyone has successfully had a card replaced under the SanDisk lifetime warranty and if so, what your experience was like? Did they replace the card?

Yes, I had one replaced a little over a year ago. After calling SanDisk, speaking at length with someone with a strong not from the US accent, going through putting the card in and out of the camera and locking the camera up numerous times, I did get a replacement. That tiny little thing came in a HUGE box. I then had to mail the old one to them.

I remember telling DH after being on the phone with SanDisk, it would have been easier and less aggravating just to go buy one!!!

GrumpyOne
05-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Our wonderful laws here in the US mean that the manufacturer can call a lifetime whatever they want. We have many laws that allow consumers to be deceived by marketing.

I'm guessing you haven't actually read their warranty text then. I pulled it from http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DocumentInfo.aspx?DocumentID=3019. Specifically, "Warranty Period: Lifetime (for as long as the original purchaser owns the card)/10 years in Europe, Middle East, and Africa"

ukcatfan
05-31-2009, 01:07 PM

I'm guessing you haven't actually read their warranty text then. I pulled it from http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DocumentInfo.aspx?DocumentID=3019. Specifically, "Warranty Period: Lifetime (for as long as the original purchaser owns the card)/10 years in Europe, Middle East, and Africa"

You missed my point. I do not even own a Sandisk. I was just wanting to point out that, in the USA, the term lifetime warranty typically does not mean you can buy something at age 20 and have it replaced at age 100 under warranty. While we do have many good consumer protection laws, there are many loopholes that companies can take advantage of (including Disney) and not get in trouble by deceiving their customers. Sandisk is one of the best in the biz, so they might actually do it, but good luck finding your proof of purchase after 20 years. The current crop of SD, CF, etc memory probably will not even be made anymore in 10 years.

GrumpyOne
05-31-2009, 01:39 PM
When the company simply says "lifetime", I agree that it's mostly marketing. The point here is that Sandisk does spell out what they mean by the term.

BVC4us
08-01-2009, 09:56 PM
For those of you who have bought a Nikon D40 or Nikon D60 (or actually any DSLR), do you also buy an extended warranty? I was just curious if you think it it worth it or not. Thanks

saturndb
08-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I have not bought a warranty for any of my cameras since the price is mostly to high. The cost of the warranty should not be more then 10% of the purchase price.

Dave pirate:

DawnM
08-02-2009, 06:29 AM
I have a Canon D40 and did not buy the extended warranty.

Dawn

DisneyGrampa
08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't buy extended warranties on electronics. For devices with a significant mechanical aspect, I make individual decisions. I always buy the extended warranty on refrigerators with ice makers. For some reason, they just can't build reliable icemakers.
The above has always worked for me, until my Sony superzoom. No mechanically significant content, so I didn't buy the warranty.Two months before the three year extended warranty would have been up, the shutter buttron popped off!
My new camera is a Nikon D5000-significant mechanical content. I bought the three year extended warranty from Nikon-about $90.
I also insured it-about $10 per year.

sallysue66
10-11-2009, 09:57 PM
After months of looking, researching and waiting for a deal I finally bought my first DSLR!!! I got the Nikon D3000 with the 18-55VR for $477. Should I buy the extended warranty? I declined it at the store when I got the camera, but a friend told me I should reconsider. She said she normally doesn't buy them either, since they are usually rip-offs, but for her cameras it's worth it. Now, I'm sure her camera's are pricier than mine. What do you think?

WDWFigment
10-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I think it's a personal decision. Are you risk averse? Is $477 a significant amount of money to you?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Extended warranties are priced to be highly profitable for all products (it's not as if it's a better value for cameras--they are priced accordingly). The store wouldn't be selling it at a cost that would potentially lose it money.

NateNLogansDad
10-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I bought it from Ritz. At my house,between the dog and the boys, everything breaks eventually. Supposedly, I'm covered against anything (including water) except fire and lost/stolen. The guy at the counter said I could bring in a bag of broken pieces and as long as the serial # is in there somewhere, it would be replaced.

ukcatfan
10-12-2009, 05:46 AM
I bought it from Ritz. At my house,between the dog and the boys, everything breaks eventually. Supposedly, I'm covered against anything (including water) except fire and lost/stolen. The guy at the counter said I could bring in a bag of broken pieces and as long as the serial # is in there somewhere, it would be replaced.

That is a good point. Be sure to read the fine details. Some are complete coverage and others are simply extending the same coverage the manufacturer provides.

klmall
10-12-2009, 07:46 AM
I bought one for my XSi with kit lens in late July sort of thinking it was a waste of money. Not three weeks later, I fell hiking on Mt. Rainier with it. Even though I slid down 30 feet of loose scree and broke my ankle etc. with the camera lens open it survived fine. But, it could have been far worse for the camera (and me!). Amazingly only the plastic LCD cover got nicked in the fall. I am so glad though for the insurance and the peace of mind it gives me! That camera may be tough but my retired person's budget isn't!

Golf4food
10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I can guarantee it is overpriced at Ritz... like everything else they do... (except prints - I do use them for the few prints we get!) In general all extended warranties are a bad choice for the consumer i.e. the vast majority of people never use them and therefor just wasted all the money while lining the pockets of the retailer with a high profit item that they have to do nothing for - it's a win-win for the retailer, and usually a lose-lose for the consumer. Then again, if you can't afford to replace it and you'll feel better having it, peace of mind certainly has a value all its own.

saturndb
10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Step one would be to get a price to see how it will cost you. If the cost is to high, then it does not matter.

Dave pirate:

GrillMouster
10-12-2009, 04:55 PM
My general rule is not to buy the extended warranty if its cost exceeds 10% of the value of the item it would cover.

saturndb
10-12-2009, 05:29 PM
My general rule is not to buy the extended warranty if its cost exceeds 10% of the value of the item it would cover.

GrillMouster is right, 10% is the max cost in terms of the purchase price

Dave pirate:

sallysue66
10-12-2009, 08:29 PM
GrillMouster is right, ten % is the max cost in terms of the purchase price

Dave pirate:

I think you're both right. 10% is a good rule of thumb. And the more I think about it, it really doesn't make sense. I'd rather save that money and put it toward my next lens.:thumbsup2 Now here's hoping & praying I don't break my new toy!

MICKEY88
10-13-2009, 02:53 PM
I can guarantee it is overpriced at Ritz... like everything else they do... (except prints - I do use them for the few prints we get!) In general all extended warranties are a bad choice for the consumer i.e. the vast majority of people never use them and therefor just wasted all the money while lining the pockets of the retailer with a high profit item that they have to do nothing for - it's a win-win for the retailer, and usually a lose-lose for the consumer. Then again, if you can't afford to replace it and you'll feel better having it, peace of mind certainly has a value all its own.

overpriced if you don't use it, not so much if you do use it, just like any insurance/car/house/medical...etc...

when I worked at Ritz I saw a fair number of instances where people were very happy they had bougt the ESP.

everysummer we would have at least one, usually several people that bought camcorders for their trip to WDW, I pushed the ESP hard on those people if they had small children...

it was quite common to have people come in after their trip with a broken camcorder.. too many people would place the camcorder on the back of a lightweight stroller, they would stop at a ride, remove the child and the weight of the camcorder would tip the stroller, camcorder meets ground camcorder breaks..:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

ESP replaced camcorder...:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

my favorite was the guy who bought a Nikon 6006 from me, he called and told me he had gone to his camp to cut firewood, had the camera on the tailgate of his truck in case he saw any wildlife,, need to move the truck, pulled forward, backed up and heard a horrible sound...camera had fallen when he pulled forward and yep, he ran over it in reverse,,

I asked if he had purchased the ESP, his answer was yes, so I told him to put all parts in a big plastic bag and bring to store with his copy of the ESP, he walked out 15-20 minutes later with a new 6006...

DisneyGrampa
10-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't buy extended warranties on electronics. I do, selectively, on mechanical things. I bought my Nikon D5000 after the shutter button on my Sony superzoom popped off about a week before the three year warranty, I didn't buy, would have been up. This reminded me that these cameras have significant mechanical content. I bought the extended warranty from Nikon, directly. It was about 10%. I also added it to my homeowner's policy-$11 a year.

WDWFigment
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
overpriced if you don't use it, not so much if you do use it, just like any insurance/car/house/medical...etc...

when I worked at Ritz I saw a fair number of instances where people were very happy they had bougt the ESP.

everysummer we would have at least one, usually several people that bought camcorders for their trip to WDW, I pushed the ESP hard on those people if they had small children...

it was quite common to have people come in after their trip with a broken camcorder.. too many people would place the camcorder on the back of a lightweight stroller, they would stop at a ride, remove the child and the weight of the camcorder would tip the stroller, camcorder meets ground camcorder breaks..:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

ESP replaced camcorder...:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

my favorite was the guy who bought a Nikon 6006 from me, he called and told me he had gone to his camp to cut firewood, had the camera on the tailgate of his truck in case he saw any wildlife,, need to move the truck, pulled forward, backed up and heard a horrible sound...camera had fallen when he pulled forward and yep, he ran over it in reverse,,

I asked if he had purchased the ESP, his answer was yes, so I told him to put all parts in a big plastic bag and bring to store with his copy of the ESP, he walked out 15-20 minutes later with a new 6006...

I think when it comes to their particular industry, or an area in which people have worked, people sometimes have the "burden of knowledge."

For instance, I think someone who works at Ritz or Best Buy may think the extended warranties are a 'good buy' because they have extensive anecdotal experiences with claims. Same with someone who works in insurance. My fiancee works in healthcare, and it certainly seems to me that she is overly cautious about health and safety. The list goes on and on. Each job exposes a person to a great deal of anecdotal experiences that often are not representative of the general population.

However, when confronted with decisions like this, I think it is important to take calculated risks based upon costs. Certainly, it's not overpriced if you use it. By that rationale, it costing $1 less than the purchase price would make it appropriately priced. I don't think anyone, yourself included, is suggesting the extended warranty would be a wise purchase at that price. So from there, you must determine at what price the warranty has value to you. This is necessarily a subjective determination, given that much of the value of insurance is the inherent value individuals place in being risk averse (peace of mind). For each person, this is different.

An important guidepost in this evaluation is what a reasonable alternative will cost. What does Best Buy/Ritz/etc. charge versus what it would cost to insure the device for the same period of time? Comparatively, what is the value in the warranty versus insurance (will an insurance claim be more difficult to receive? types of coverage? etc.?).

Personally, I try to self insure or self "warrant" whenever possible. Insurance and extended warranties alike are profitable businesses that also hemorrhage money on transaction costs. Given those considerations, I've always found it better to not insure or purchase the extended warranty on property you can replace without incurring a substantial financial burden. That is, I guess, unless you're either especially clumsy or will worry incessantly about breaking and having to replace the object.

GrillMouster
10-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I think when it comes to their particular industry, or an area in which people have worked, people sometimes have the "burden of knowledge."

For instance, I think someone who works at Ritz or Best Buy may think the extended warranties are a 'good buy' because they have extensive anecdotal experiences with claims. Same with someone who works in insurance. My fiancee works in healthcare, and it certainly seems to me that she is overly cautious about health and safety. The list goes on and on. Each job exposes a person to a great deal of anecdotal experiences that often are not representative of the general population.

However, when confronted with decisions like this, I think it is important to take calculated risks based upon costs. Certainly, it's not overpriced if you use it. By that rationale, it costing $1 less than the purchase price would make it appropriately priced. I don't think anyone, yourself included, is suggesting the extended warranty would be a wise purchase at that price. So from there, you must determine at what price the warranty has value to you. This is necessarily a subjective determination, given that much of the value of insurance is the inherent value individuals place in being risk averse (peace of mind). For each person, this is different.

An important guidepost in this evaluation is what a reasonable alternative will cost. What does Best Buy/Ritz/etc. charge versus what it would cost to insure the device for the same period of time? Comparatively, what is the value in the warranty versus insurance (will an insurance claim be more difficult to receive? types of coverage? etc.?).

Personally, I try to self insure or self "warrant" whenever possible. Insurance and extended warranties alike are profitable businesses that also hemorrhage money on transaction costs. Given those considerations, I've always found it better to not insure or purchase the extended warranty on property you can replace without incurring a substantial financial burden. That is, I guess, unless you're either especially clumsy or will worry incessantly about breaking and having to replace the object.

Ditto. :)

It's extraordinarily RARE for one of my purchases to die within a period that would have been covered by an extended warranty. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but it's rare. Overall, I still come out ahead by sticking with my rule of thumb of not buying extended warranties that exceed 10% of the item's purchase price. If an item would cost up to a couple hundred dollars to replace, I probably wouldn't get an extended warranty. If it's something that I feel confident I could easily repair myself (like a computer), I don't get an extended warranty. A large ticket item costing thousands of dollars...I'll consider an extended warranty if it's not too much money.

I'll also do research on how often the item breaks down. For example, I checked out Consumer Reports last year and found an article on extended warranties for HDTVs. They examined the reliability of different types (LCD, plasma, DLP) and brands. While some brands were more reliable than others (I think Samsung ranked highest), reliability of LCD HDTVs were so high across all brands reviewed that they found extended warranties to be a waste of money.

fletchers5
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
besides buying the extended warranty at the place you purchased you camera...is there anywhere else that you can purchase these? Best Buy's extended warranty is sky high.

I did find a place called Compuplus that has Mack 3 year Diamond extended warranties that covers impact damage, accidental abuse, unintentional abuse for a decent price.

Has anyone heard of Mack?

GrillMouster
02-25-2010, 03:48 PM
BuyDig & BeachCamera (same company) usually have great prices on Mack warranties.

I just got a camera back from Mack that I sent in a few months ago. It took that long because they sent it to Nikon to have the sensor replaced & some other stuff.

NYY2SMP
04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Do any of you have your camera(Dslr) under warranty. I have heard about putting it on your insurance. How can you do that?

photo_chick
04-30-2010, 12:14 AM
I've got a rider on my homeowners insurance that covers some of my electronics. My camera included. It covers more than normal, like if I drop my camera in a lake I'm covered. And the deductible is only $100, as opposed to the $1000 I've got my general policy. And it's replacement value, so I get what I need to buy a new one not what the old one was worth. I had the same type of thing with my renters insurance before we bought our house as well. What it does not cover is repairs.

Ask your insurance agent. If nothing else you can bring your coverage up to date. Most people are under insured anyway.

mom2rtk
04-30-2010, 08:08 AM
I don't keep anything in my house under extended warranty, except my DSLR.

I bought my first CANON DSLR back in 2004 at Sears. It was around $900 for that 6 MP camera (not much difference in price anywhere)........ and I really wanted to buy from a store with a generous return policy (i.e. no restocking fee) in case I got it home and wasn't happy with the photos. At the time, that investment scared me, especially with 3 little kids in the house. Since their extended warranty would cover it even if I dropped it or one of the kids knocked it off the table, I bought the warranty.

Right before the 2 years was up, the hot shoe stopped working. It wouldn't fire the flash. They put a brand new one in my hands. After that experience, I renewed. Over the years, I have had minor things go wrong several times (usually related to the flash) and one major thing (the shutter assembly). Each time they put a brand new camera in my hands. (I think they just don't know how to fix anything.) The last 2 times I had to pay a minor upcharge to the newer model.

Maybe the way prices have come down I should let that warranty go, but my track record hasn't been good.... so I'll probably renew when it comes time again.

klmall
04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
I have my Canon XSi under an extended warranty because I do tend to break things and now that we're retired we really don't want to claim things under our home insurance (plan to sell our home within 2 years hopefully and claims do hurt in sales) etc. or add a rider. I've often quoted the accident I had right after I bought my XSi. Though I didn't damage my camera in my bad fall on Mt. Rainier last summer I felt much better traveling and hiking (and still do) with my camera insured.

We never buy the extended warranties on anything but for this, we did! FYI - We didn't buy one for my first real SLR back in the late 70s and it was barely two months old when I dropped it hard on the sidewalk at Gettysburg - never worked again!!! Hence, the lesson learned!

MarkBarbieri
04-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Warranties and insurance are similar but different. The former protects you from things going wrong with your camera and, in some cases, accidents. The latter protects you from things like theft and, in some cases, accidents.

In both cases, the odds favor the warranty/insurance company. That's how they stay in business. My understanding of the industries tells me that warranties offer much worse odds than insurance companies.

Deciding to buy either isn't strictly a question of the cost x the chance of collecting compared with the replacement cost. Like I said, that virtually always favors replacement cost. It's more of a question of your tolerance for risk. If having your camera stolen would be an annoyance but not a financial hardship, don't bother to insure it. If having your camera stolen would be a serious hardship, pay for the insurance. The same goes with warranties. If having the device fail would not be a major problem, skip the warranty.

One exception that philosophy is when you know more than the warranter or insurer. Odds are good that those companies have much greater statistical knowledge than you do about the likelihood of theft or malfunction. On the other hand, if you are unusually careless, you may be at greater risk of theft than the insurer estimates. If you shoot in really harsh conditions, your gear may be at greater risk of failure than the warranter assumes. In those cases, the odds may actually be in your favor. Insurers deal with that by jacking up your rates after you've demonstrated greater than normal risk. Warranty companies just suck it up.

For me personally, I never buy the extended warranty. The cost relative to the risk is outrageous in my mind. I do buy insurance, however, because I often travel with enough camera gear that it would make me quite upset if it were lost or stolen.

Keep in mind that your homeowners and auto insurance will already cover you for some camera losses. If you have sufficiently low deductibles on those, it may not make sense to get a special rider. In most cases, I think it makes more sense to have higher deductibles on your homeowners and auto insurance and a special rider on your specific at-risk valuables (camera gear, jewelry, etc), but your mileage may vary.

I agree with photo_chick's assertion that most people are underinsured...especially for auto insurance. My wife was in an accident about a decade ago. She totaled an old and inexpensive car. When I looked at our coverage and thought about what would have happened if she'd smacked a new Mercedes and perhaps a new BMW (don't laugh, a high school kid rammed my boss's 7 series BMW into a S-class Mercedes a couple of years ago), I realized that I'd be personally on the hook for a LOT of money. I upped my liability considerably and added an umbrella policy to boot.

NYY2SMP
04-30-2010, 08:23 PM
do any of you have a insurance rider on your camera? How did you go about getting it?

Raindown
04-30-2010, 08:43 PM
do any of you have a insurance rider on your camera? How did you go about getting it?

I would just call your insurance agent. Even if it is your auto insurance agent. They usually will insurance anything your willing to pay for.:)