PDA

View Full Version : Why do you take pictures?

MarkBarbieri
09-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Why do you take pictures? Why not just buy postcards? They're almost always better than any picture an amateur is likely to take. Why not just use other people's pictures? You can find someone willing to give you a picture of just about anything Disney related here.

Once you're done with all the bother of buying a camera, figuring out how to use it, taking the pictures, and doing whatever else you do to get them ready, what the heck do you do with them?

orchjoe
09-23-2007, 09:39 AM
I do it for the rush. The one you get when you have a spectacular shot that you just took and you can’t wait until you get on the computer to see how it really turned out.

You get that feeling when you finally check it out – “wow I just took that” :donald:

Right now I just end up printing the best ones (8 ˝ x 11) and putting them into cheap $2 frames from Wall-Mart and I am hanging them down a hallway.

Master Mason
09-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, first off, I have never seen either of my boys on a post card, so that means it must not be too readily available.

I take pictures to capture the memories of my travels though life and that of my kids lives. This is my first and foremost reason.

My secondary is photography is probably the one area that I have any artistic ability, I can't paint, I can't draw, I can't play an insturement, but I can take a picture, and as I pay more attention to what I am doing, I can learn to create art, via the camera.

As to what I do with them, I share them with others, isn't that what art is supposed to be for?

MichelleVW
09-23-2007, 09:54 AM
I do it for the rush. The one you get when you have a spectacular shot that you just took and you can’t wait until you get on the computer to see how it really turned out.

You get that feeling when you finally check it out – “wow I just took that” :donald:

Same here....

MarkBarbieri
09-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Well, first off, I have never seen either of my boys on a post card, so that means it must not be too readily available.

I take pictures to capture the memories of my travels though life and that of my kids lives. This is my first and foremost reason.

My secondary is photography is probably the one area that I have any artistic ability, I can't paint, I can't draw, I can't play an insturement, but I can take a picture, and as I pay more attention to what I am doing, I can learn to create art, via the camera.

As to what I do with them, I share them with others, isn't that what art is supposed to be for?

Why pictures? Why not video? Then you capture their sounds and motions.

MichelleVW
09-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Honestly "why do I take pictures??" Because it's a sickness and I HAVE too....ask my kids about the meltdown I have if my batteries die, or my memory card is full...I always have my camera and I always take pictures....

Master Mason
09-23-2007, 10:21 AM

because I know that I will look at the pictures again, I have a video camera, I have used it about 6 times in the 5 years I have owned it, and I have not once gone back to look at the video I took.

I think I just came from a picture family as well. When my parents passed, I literally had to go though 1000's of pictures going back to the late 1800's that my parents had taken, and/or recieved from their parents.

I have pictures of all four sets of my great grandparents hanging on my wall, in a day when most folks couldn't tell you a single thing about their great grandparents.

Sha
09-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I take pictures for my own enjoyment, to share with others, to be record of history (whether of my existence or someone/something else). It can relax me... and I can learn from it. And maybe, I will take up painting something I capture in a picture one day.... and be a 3rd generation painter. :confused3 I take pics to take me back to a memory, to place and time that was special, to be there for a moment with someone I loved, or a place that touched my heart.... and I try, when time permits to record it in a scrapbook, so others can know what it meant to me.

fitzperry
09-23-2007, 11:23 AM
because I know that I will look at the pictures again, I have a video camera, I have used it about 6 times in the 5 years I have owned it, and I have not once gone back to look at the video I took.

I think I just came from a picture family as well. When my parents passed, I literally had to go though 1000's of pictures going back to the late 1800's that my parents had taken, and/or recieved from their parents.

I have pictures of all four sets of my great grandparents hanging on my wall, in a day when most folks couldn't tell you a single thing about their great grandparents.

Ditto to all of this; however, we do use our video camera a little bit more than you--maybe two or three times a year. We rarely watch our videos though, yet just this morning I was flipping through a scrapbook I made of my kids' first trip to NYC a few years ago. You also can't display video. We have pictures we've taken all over our house. I love to glance at them and remember a special trip or party or whatever as I'm walking down the hall.

I also come from a picture taking family. I have many wonderful old b&w photos of my parents and grandparents displayed in my home. My dad recently gave me thousands of slides that he and his father took over the years. My dad rarely touches his camera anymore. I think it reminds him too much of his brother, also an avid photographer, who died rather suddenly about ten years ago (I have a couple of his photos displayed as well). Someday I hope to scan and catalog all the slides.

handicap18
09-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Very interesting question. I've always been a picture taker. Got my first camera when I was 10. I did take audio/video courses in college, but even now I really don't use the video camera as much.

I've taken tens of thousands of pictures in the last 25+ years. There is something about capturing a memory on film (or in todays case digital). Then having it displayed around your house.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it/read about it, that having pictures displayed around your home creates a very positive atmosphere.

I like having video's, but its pictures that I always go back to. We have dozens and dozens of pictures displayed around the house on shelves, walls, the fridge, and other places. Our main computer is in the living room next to the TV and when no one is using the computer the screen saver is a picture viewer. It displays a different picture every 6 seconds and varies it among over 1,400 images taken over the last few years. I've also started re-scanning some of my older film prints to add to the screen saver.

Pictures are a quick reminder of my own history. Helps keep those memories forever. Always seems to put a smile on my face too.

Lizziejane
09-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Several reasons. One, it's a creative outlet. I can't sing, dance or draw. But I can learn to capture better pictures and get creative with them. Two - it has taught me to look at life differently. Things I never noticed before have now become photo ops. I think I've learned to appreciate the finer details in everything like never before. Third - there's nothing like capturing "the moment". It's especially gratifying if you manage to capture someone else's moment and they express their heartfelt appreciation. And lastly (and perhaps the more important) - the challenge!!!!

KrazyPete
09-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I think my problem is that I'm always looking for a creative outlet and photography is just another one. I'm sure it drives my DW insane. I play guitar a bit too. When I really started to grasp what taking pictures with an SLR camera was all about, it felt like playing guitar to me. You practice with it and your muscles begin to remember the movements and bit by bit controlling the thing begins to become second nature.

So this is where I get a little sappy (I apologize in advance). Taking a picture is like playing a song with light. Someone else may have written the music but you bring something to it by the way you play it. God sets the mountain and the sunrise in front of me. I get to show people my particular interpretation (vision?) of the scene through my photographs. To me it's not about just preserving some fraction of a second in time. It about communicating happiness, or beauty.

Or whatever... sorry :blush:

Michele
09-23-2007, 01:01 PM

I do plenty of both. I prefer video to pictures for really active things, especially their sporting events. It's much better to watch a video of your son running for a touchdown than seeing a picture of it.

What's really funny is seeing me at their home football games. My husband does the announcing so he can't handle the videocamera or the camera, so I am usually carrying both, alternating.

But I think pictures are necessary especially to share with others, Grandparents, etc. Most other people don't want to sit and watch hours of video I have taken but they do like to see the pictures.

miss missy
09-23-2007, 01:13 PM
I dunno, but I am my own worst enemy! As far as Disney pics goes, I take about 800 per trip :scared1: I cant delete much, I just cant! Here is what I do when I get home.

1. go through them ONE by ONE and fix red eye and crop or whatever.
2. put them in a NEW folder, dated and renamed in order they were taken!
3. Upload to Kodak's site folder by folder.
4.Again, go through them and choose to use or not use zoom and print and perfect touch.
5. Order prints (some for wall frames, most for albums)
6. get prints and make sure they are in order the way they were taken, compare prints to my folders!!
7. Put in album, usually takes 3 albums per trip
8. frame and hang others.

I also back these up on an external drive and on the second computer in the house. I have no freaking idea what to do otherwise. I cant burn a gazillion cd's! I really miss the 35MM I tell ya!! I have over 5000 pics on this puter! Lets not talk about how many photoshop files!!

I AM NUTTS!

madge
09-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Why do you take pictures? Why not just buy postcards? They're almost always better than any picture an amateur is likely to take. Why not just use other people's pictures? You can find someone willing to give you a picture of just about anything Disney related here.

Once you're done with all the bother of buying a camera, figuring out how to use it, taking the pictures, and doing whatever else you do to get them ready, what the heck do you do with them?

Why do I take pictures ... :scratchin

I take pictures, because I scrapbook. Or, maybe I scrapbook because I have the pictures :rotfl: But ultimately, I take pictures to have some sort of tangible history of my life and the life of my family. Even if the pictures aren't "scrapped" in album, I make an effort to keep them organized by year. (admittedly, I need to do a better job at that. LOL)

Just in the last year or so have I had the desire to take better pictures. So, I've enrolled in a class that I hope will help me do that. I've enjoyed learning about photography. Because I enjoy it, I want to take more pictures.

It's a dangerous cycle. LOL.

barrie
09-23-2007, 02:00 PM
For me it has to do with how much I enjoy looking at great photographs. When I see beautiful or interesting photos, I get inspired to try to create my own. I am still very much in a learning phase and as long as I feel like I am learning something new it keeps my interest. I like the sense of accomplishment I feel when I take a good photo. And to be honest, I like the praise too. It feels good when someone tells me they like a photo I've taken.

I like the way it has changed how I look at the world too. Now when I look around I "see" photographs in the things I'm looking at, even when I don't have my camera with me. It evokes a different emotion in me than the scene does on it's own. I find that pleasurable. Not that I'd rather see photos than the real thing, but thinking about the way a camera would capture that moment brings an added dimension to it.

Anewman
09-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Photography has always been a hobby, but I got away with it when I got married in 1990. When our kids started playing sports I noticed I was a very intense/loud/vocal sideline parent, I realized I needed to do something about my attitude. So I started taking pictures again(at all their games) and found it to be very relaxing, and my kids like the fact that I shut up. My hobby grew from there and it lead to earning some hobby money from it.

Master Mason
09-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I dunno, but I am my own worst enemy! As far as Disney pics goes, I take about 800 per trip :scared1: I cant delete much, I just cant! Here is what I do when I get home.

1. go through them ONE by ONE and fix red eye and crop or whatever.
2. put them in a NEW folder, dated and renamed in order they were taken!
3. Upload to Kodak's site folder by folder.
4.Again, go through them and choose to use or not use zoom and print and perfect touch.
5. Order prints (some for wall frames, most for albums)
6. get prints and make sure they are in order the way they were taken, compare prints to my folders!!
7. Put in album, usually takes 3 albums per trip
8. frame and hang others.

I also back these up on an external drive and on the second computer in the house. I have no freaking idea what to do otherwise. I cant burn a gazillion cd's! I really miss the 35MM I tell ya!! I have over 5000 pics on this puter! Lets not talk about how many photoshop files!!

I AM NUTTS!

Well I would say your a bit nutts (in a very nice way) for not burning them to cd's or dvds, electronic media will fail, it is not an if it is simply a when, why take risks with your pictures.

Anewman
09-23-2007, 02:39 PM

I AM NUTTS!

Well I would say your a bit nutts (in a very nice way) for not burning them to cd's or dvds, electronic media will fail, it is not an if it is simply a when, why take risks with your pictures.

To me is sounds like she is has the images on at least 3 hard drives(2 pcs and an external), yes "electronic media" will fail. But I think the chances of all 3 failing at once are very low.

Master Mason
09-23-2007, 02:55 PM
yes it might be small, but it could happen, massive power surge, some sort of power snap, her airconditioning could go out and they all 3 over heat... Just a few possiblities that could cause all 3 to go at once.

Working for a large computer company you would be amazed at some of the things I have heard of happening, and that is with systems that have rooms especially built just to protect them.

AndrewWG
09-23-2007, 02:58 PM
To me is sounds like she is has the images on at least 3 hard drives(2 pcs and an external), yes "electronic media" will fail. But I think the chances of all 3 failing at once are very low.

Although I'm not sure about this, a good lightning strike would possibly take out all 3 of those hard drives and then everything is gone. I've seen surge protectors fail and even with the monetary guarantee that they won't, you won't get your photos back. Money can't replace them.

Edit: and all the stuff that Master Mason just said at basically the same time as me!

Anewman
09-23-2007, 03:07 PM
yes it might be small, but it could happen, massive power surge, some sort of power snap, her airconditioning could go out and they all 3 over heat... Just a few possiblities that could cause all 3 to go at once.

Working for a large computer company you would be amazed at some of the things I have heard of happening, and that is with systems that have rooms especially built just to protect them.

And there can be a fire that destroys them, along with any CD/DVDs too...;)

I am not saying she is 100% safe using 3 hard drives, but hardly "nutts" for not using other media IMO.

IMO the best backup method is the one that will actually get used 100% of the time, yes burning discs is considered better for long term storage but I know too many photographers in the REAL WORLD that slack a bit when it comes to burning them in a timely manor(if at all).

Master Mason
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
And there can be a fire that destroys them, along with any CD/DVDs too...;)

I am not saying she is 100% safe using 3 hard drives, but hardly "nutts" for not using other media IMO.

IMO the best backup method is the one that will actually get used 100% of the time, yes burning discs is considered better for long term storage but I know too many photographers in the REAL WORLD that slack a bit when it comes to burning them in a timely manor(if at all).

Well Nutts is probably a little strong, but I was just playing with the words she had written, and did qualify it as well.

And your correct about the fire, off site back up is really the best if you really want to be safe you would need to burn 2 copies and keep them elsewhere...

Anewman
09-23-2007, 03:51 PM
And your correct about the fire, off site back up is really the best if you really want to be safe you would need to burn 2 copies and keep them elsewhere...
If it is a BIG FIRE it can take out both copies...

It is possible:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

but seriously, you said it was a matter of "when" not "if". IMO that only applies if you are talking about a single hard drive, with multiple drives it becomes a very small "if" again.

Pea-n-Me
09-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Sometimes I do buy postcards to put in my albums if I want a really good shot of something but haven't been able to get it myself. Or I might buy one that has the name and picture of wherever we are on it to head off a particular section of my album, etc. But I know it's not mine. For me, with my own photos, there's a pride there that a picture I took came out pretty good and successfully captured the memory of the moment.

Looking back on it, ever since I was a kid I was always the one taking pictures. I enjoyed it (and have others have said, I'm otherwise not very artsy). I got into it more as a hobby in the early 90s when I got a 35mm camera. I took a stab at learning terms and such then, but life got busy and I didn't pursue it beyond the very basics. I got a digital camera in 2002 or so, and was very happy to not have to buy film or worry about how many pictures I took, etc.

Having cancer several years ago influenced my interest in photography in two ways. One, I wanted to preserve as many memories as I could for my children (unlike in my own family) and two, it was something I always wanted to do and dammit, I was going to do it now!

I am pretty good about getting all of our Disney trip photos in albums. I also try to keep running albums of the kids in everyday life. Like most people, I have tons of photos that aren't in albums, including a whole container under my bed of photos of my kids' first two years of life which I've been procrastinating about. (That would be a good business for someone - photo organization, LOL.) We do have an external hard drive but put them to disc before they go on there. We lost a ton of photos last year when our laptop overheated and died before we'd put them to disc; luckily we recovered some of them off the hard drive.

Interesting thread, Mark! :)

DVC Jen
09-23-2007, 04:57 PM
I think one thing that makes me love photography so much is the fact that it forces me to look at the world differently.

You can capture beauty, joy, sadness, tragedy, humor and so many other facets of human life - and MAYBE - just MAYBE if you get really lucky you can get someone else to fee what you were feeling when you took the shot.

Still photography versus video - I dunno. Just never been drawn to video.

And besides all that I stated above - it's fun!

jann1033
09-23-2007, 05:03 PM
for me it means nothing about capturing memories but more recording what i see hopefully creatively...

really, i'm only in it for the glory prestige and big bucks..ok so i have no glory prestige or big bucks...

guess i do it cause i like to waste money...

thinking about it i'm not sure why i am so sure anyone wants me to record what i see, like who really is waiting to get my take on a matter and basic really no one but the few on here ever see anything i take but i'm driven like a madwoman to do it anyway;) :) :rolleyes1

having read the other comments, i find my (and anyone else's) videos boring...i really don't care to see "kid a in front of a big rock", "kid b in front of a big rock", "mom in front of a big rock", "a,b and mom waving in front of a big rock". i know what they look like and know where we were so snooze,yawn, wake me when it's over...but a photo does spark some emotion in me and i want to look at it again and again, unless it's kid a in front of a big rock, followed by kid b etc etc etc. then once is enough (unless it's my own kid)

DVC Jen
09-23-2007, 05:21 PM
making a mental note - never post photos of my kids in front of a big rock!

;)

jann1033
09-23-2007, 05:26 PM
:lmao: nope a photo is fine since it would be done artistically i'm sure:) ..i'm thinking more a long the lines of the infamous tigger smackdown video:lmao: and now i feel really dumb since i just saw mark's old video...which is fun to watch btw, i didn't yawn once during it so i am rethinking my aforementioned video opinions;)

fitzperry
09-23-2007, 05:53 PM
:lmao: nope a photo is fine since it would be done artistically i'm sure:) ..i'm thinking more a long the lines of the infamous tigger smackdown video:lmao: and now i feel really dumb since i just saw mark's old video...which is fun to watch btw, i didn't yawn once during it so i am rethinking my aforementioned video opinions;)

Not having found the time to click on that video thread, perhaps I should keep my mouth shut. But it seems to me that it's fun to watch old videos--remembering what something was like in the past. Video of something that happened last week--not so much. The last video I took was a few days ago of my 4yo playing on our new Wii game system. The way she throws her whole body into it is absolutely hysterical, and I have no doubt that we'll get a kick out of watching it at some point in the future, but I can't say I want to watch it now.

A photo, on the other hand, I can enjoy right away. Maybe it's just my own technique and perspective, but I at least try to inject some creativity or artistry into some of my photos. Our videos are really just documentation.

DisneySuiteFreak
09-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I do plenty of both. I prefer video to pictures for really active things, especially their sporting events. It's much better to watch a video of your son running for a touchdown than seeing a picture of it.
What's really funny is seeing me at their home football games. My husband does the announcing so he can't handle the videocamera or the camera, so I am usually carrying both, alternating.
But I think pictures are necessary especially to share with others, Grandparents, etc. Most other people don't want to sit and watch hours of video I have taken but they do like to see the pictures.

I to LOL at the sight of this, because that's exactly what I do when I want to video or photograph my son in his band performances. DH just doesn't like or know anything about photos/videos so I do both -- at the same time. One or the other usually suffers, or I miss something that would have been a really good shot. I usually take one tripod and one monopod. If DH sees me getting really flustered he'll occasionally step in and run the camcorder for me so I can snap off a few photos. :lmao: Maybe I need to have 2 tripods set up side by side to make it easier. :dance3:

DisneySuiteFreak
09-23-2007, 06:43 PM
I do it to preserve memories so you can go back and relive the events that take place by viewing the photos.
I also grew up in a photo enthusiast family, I have tons of photos that go back to my great great grandparents time.
I also take a lot of video, but as with other posters, find it easier to pull out the photos than to pop in a dvd. I am learning about dslr photography and hope to learn to take better, more creative photos in the near future.
I learned a lot about family history, right and wrong, morals and values by learning about my family members and their history. As a child, I wouldn't have been interested in any of that if I hadn't had my family photos of my great great grandparents and other extended family members to look at. Somehow the photos made the stories come to life. So photos are good not just for the creativity and sharing memories but also as a teaching tools for parents/grandparents.
Before he passed, my photo enthusiast grandfather made copies of photos of himself as a young man in his military uniform. He was so handsome, and I treasure those photos...In those photos he will be forever young....

Tuffcookie
09-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I think I take pictures because I inherited the "kodak" gene from my late dad. He passed away when I was about 9. He gave me my first camera, a Kodak Brownie (I still have that camera!) My mom passed away last December and I took possession of all the family photos. There are a ton of pictures! My dad was definately a camera buff and would have loved the digital age!:)

TC:cool1:

fan1080
09-24-2007, 06:00 AM
First and foremost, memories.

Secondly, I've always been interested in capturing "the moment", a single snap shot of emotion that in my opinion can say so much more than video can.

Thirdly, there's an artistic beast inside me (haven't been able to find him yet though, lol).

I could probably go on and on. Photography is just something I enjoy. It gives me yet another reason to get the family together and enjoy some quality time together. Whether that's on the soccer field watching my daughters play, or getting out on the weekend to visit some of the places we haven't been to in a while and even some of the not so obvious places off the beaten trail.

What do I do with the pictures? I share them, print them and frame them; but most importantly, I cherish them. They define my family's history, they tell our story like no one else can.

Nikel
09-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Why take pictures? I'm assuming you're specifically referring to while on vaca at DW here, so it's fun and pays the bills won't work as my answer.

It's fun, like I already mentioned. O can capture my family's memories the way I see them. My vision and preferences aren't exactly the same as what I can find on postcards. Plus there's the whole my kids aren't on postcards thing. And what would I do with a postcard? They're too small for me to want to frame them and hang them. I don't scrapbook either. With a picture I can have any size I want within seconds, from a wallet all the way up to a poster sized print.

When I get home, I do a quick sort through to get rid of any duds - bad expressions, out of focus, etc. Then I burn them all to a disc. Then I edit any that I want to order as prints. And finally, I work on my book. I put together a coffee table book of our vacation.

miss missy
09-24-2007, 07:40 AM

Well my new puter has dvd burner so I am sure I will use it at some point. But the pics are printed too don't forget. They are also on the web at kodak. I am backed pretty good. I guess I just know the DVD media will fail at some point too. I am pretty comfortable once I have a print though.

miss missy
09-24-2007, 07:46 AM
If it is a BIG FIRE it can take out both copies...

It is possible:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

but seriously, you said it was a matter of "when" not "if". IMO that only applies if you are talking about a single hard drive, with multiple drives it becomes a very small "if" again.

I know about crashing hard drives, it just happened.... the external saved me :thumbsup2 Also the laptop wont get a lightening strike at the same time the other puter could, it isn't plugged in when I am not here :)

jann1033
09-24-2007, 08:26 AM
I know about crashing hard drives, it just happened.... the external saved me :thumbsup2 Also the laptop wont get a lightening strike at the same time the other puter could, it isn't plugged in when I am not here :)
once again excuse my computer ignorance but aren't surge protectors supposed to stop that from happening? or have i been deceived by micro center yet again:rotfl2:

Marinerbaby
09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
I take pictures because I love what I do. I am a photographer and feel that I can capture my children's personality and spirit in the portraits that no postcard or photopass could.

I know my children and to capture the look the first time my three year old met Mickey Mouse or saw the castle for me was priceless. I have a video camera but don't use it often because I always have a camera around my neck. I grew up with one just as my Dad did and it is very much a part of our family. I love having all of the pictures from growing up. I no longer have my Mom and soon my Dad but I will "always" have the pictures to bring back those special memories and allow me to share them with my own children.

Why I take pictures everyday? Because I believe it was what I was ment to do. To help capture those memories (both happy and sad) for other families as well as my own. It is why I do a lot of work for NILMDTS. I know that may sound crazy but I truely feel that way.

LPZ_Stitch!
09-24-2007, 01:01 PM
once again excuse my computer ignorance but aren't surge protectors supposed to stop that from happening? or have i been deceived by micro center yet again:rotfl2:

Nope. Your standard surge protectors can't do a thing about lightning. They don't blow fast enough to protect delicate electronics from the overwhelming blast of a lightning strike.

There *are* lightning arrestor surge protectors but they're really expensive and even they aren't 100% effective either. Though they usually guarantee your hardware -- your pics could still be fried.

Master Mason
09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Nope. Your standard surge protectors can't do a thing about lightning. They don't blow fast enough to protect delicate electronics from the overwhelming blast of a lightning strike.

There *are* lightning arrestor surge protectors but they're really expensive and even they aren't 100% effective either. Though they usually guarantee your hardware -- your pics could still be fried.

that is exactly the point, you might end up with a shinny new computer, but you can never replace the photos that were lost.

LPZ_Stitch!
09-24-2007, 01:53 PM
that is exactly the point, you might end up with a shinny new computer, but you can never replace the photos that were lost.

You got it. It's always best to have backup copies on CD/DVD kept somewhere other than your house. A fire or flood could wipe out all of it; prints, computer and DVD backups all at the same time! :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

We still have lots of pre-digital photos to scan and burn to DVD....

barrie
09-24-2007, 03:50 PM
At the risk of getting us back on topic... Mark, why do YOU take pictures? And why did you ask?

MICKEY88
09-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I take pictures because I am a photographer and wouldn't know what else to do with the thousands of dollars worth of gear that I have...:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

as far as the post card idea, funny you should mention that, I spent Saturday afternoon at the PA Renn Faire walking around taking pictures of employees that had contributed to care packages that are being sent to 2 young soldiers in Iraq, I had my local walmart print them Sunday Morning, then spent Sunday afternoon walking around showing each person what there final print looked like and getting their approval to send it along with the packages.., 2 different people, who asked if they could look at all of the pics{close to 100} kept commenting that they looked just like postcards...

although I wouldn't have called them postcards, it sure was an incredible feeling to hear it said over and over again...

so I gues that's one of the reasons I take pictures, it's my anti-drug,

seeing the shot I want is a rush, getting the shot is a bigger rush, seeing it on the pc is another rush, then seeing it printed and having other people react in a positive way is the ultimate rush

BigGreen73
09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Why? Because I just love taking pics and WDW has more that enough things to shoot. I too have a hard time deleting a "bad" pic as even a bad pic is still a WDW memory. The Pics are great for desktops, screensavers, albums, scrapbooking, photo CD etc etc.

I took 750 pics during my last trip in May. I am looking to break that mark when I go in Dec. I am shooting for 1000.:thumbsup2

rtphokie
09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I take pictures because I enjoy a vacation so much more by stopping and taking the time to take in things around me. Not blasting my way through a theme park to get to the next big ride. Exploring more of the city I'm visting to get more shots to bring home.

All that plus all those photos give you the chance to enjoy it all over again whenever you like, and share them with others.

MarkBarbieri
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
At the risk of getting us back on topic... Mark, why do YOU take pictures? And why did you ask?

I take pictures for the WDW Weekly Photo Contest, of course!

Seriously, I started taking pictures back in the mid '80s. I got started because it seemed like an interesting hobby and, like others have said here, and approachable art form for someone with limited artistic skills. I quickly found that it made me think a lot more about a lot of things - composition, light, color, how our eyes work, how our minds translate sight into vision, etc.

It found that it was also a great tool for telling stories. I love the challenge of capturing not just the appearance of something, but it sense or essence. While you are constrained by what you can see, you still have tremendous opportunities to record it in different ways. You can chose different focal lengths and shooting locations to control the field of view and perspective. You can choose different framings to imply all sorts of things. You can adjust your shutter speed to stop the world or capture it's movement.

I see much more now that I take pictures. I notice the cold, shadowless light before dawn. I see the warm colors of sunrise and sunset. I enjoy the shadowy textures of early morning and late afternoon light. Cloudy days go from dreary to a source of soft light and saturated colors.

Taking pictures has taught me a lot about composition. We all have an innate ability to "read" compositions, but learning to take pictures has taught me how to "speak" it's language.

Taking pictures is something that I do to help me learn to see my world and tell stories about it.

In addition to taking pictures, I shoot video. I find that the two are much more different than they seem. In fact, I have a lot of trouble doing both at the same event. With a picture, I'm trying to reduce my entire story or at least one "scene" from my story down to a single picture. With video, I'm letting a story unfold over time. To me, they require a much different way of thinking about the story.

I find that I enjoy the pictures from trips more than I enjoy the video. The one area that I love video is for bringing back memories of how life used to be. To that end, I'm working on several home video projects. These include:

1) Annual interviews of the kids - Who are your friends? What's school like? What are you going to be when you grow up? What's your family going to be like? That sort of thing

2) A day-in-the-life - A little movie following each of us through a "typical" day showing our morning routine, how we get around, what school is like, what work is like, what we do for fun, what chores we do, etc.

3) A tour of our community and our home with a focus on the what seems "modern" today.

I'm doing these because these are the movies that I wish I had from when I was a kid or when my parents were kids. I love the notion that my great grandkids can see my world with me as a tour guide. I guess it's sort of like a presonallized Carousel of Progress show.

So why did I ask the question? For two reasons. First, I was curious as to why other people took pictures. Not just the snapshooters, but hobbyist photographers. I was also hoping to get people to reflect on why they take pictures. I think that stepping back and asking yourself why you do something helps you do that thing better. Maybe not better in some absolute sense, but in a way that is better for achieving what it is you are trying to achieve.

How's that for a long rambling answer to a short question?

BigGreen73
09-25-2007, 06:28 AM
I take pictures because I enjoy a vacation so much more by stopping and taking the time to take in things around me. Not blasting my way through a theme park to get to the next big ride. Exploring more of the city I'm visting to get more shots to bring home.

All that plus all those photos give you the chance to enjoy it all over again whenever you like, and share them with others.

Nicely put. WDW isn't all about the rides for my DW and I. We like to take it all in, rides, shows, characters, atmosphere, and taking pictures just helps capture and preserve the Magic. :goodvibes

fitzperry
09-25-2007, 07:55 AM
I find that I enjoy the pictures from trips more than I enjoy the video. The one area that I love video is for bringing back memories of how life used to be. To that end, I'm working on several home video projects. These include:

1) Annual interviews of the kids - Who are your friends? What's school like? What are you going to be when you grow up? What's your family going to be like? That sort of thing

2) A day-in-the-life - A little movie following each of us through a "typical" day showing our morning routine, how we get around, what school is like, what work is like, what we do for fun, what chores we do, etc.

3) A tour of our community and our home with a focus on the what seems "modern" today.

This is what I was getting at when I said that I enjoy old videos because they show me what something was like in the past, but I can appreciate a photo immediately after I take it. These are great ideas. The second one is sort of what I try to accomplish, albeit in a much more haphazard manner, when I remember to get out the video camera for something other than a holiday or birthday party. It's more journalistic than artistic. I love the interview idea. I keep sort of a journal of the funny, sometimes wise beyond their years things that my kids say. It would be nice to have some of that kind of thing on video too. They do tend to get camera shy, although a few months ago I took some video of my youngest playing the piano and they got into a big argument. Now that's a day in the life. ;)

jann1033
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
good ideas for the videos mark, i can see wanting to have those...my kids were little in the days of camcorders that weighed 300lbs and were the size of a small truck but i do have some audio i like from them then.

jtimmons
09-25-2007, 08:33 AM

Wow, that pretty much sums things up. Great way to put it!

AndrewWG
09-25-2007, 10:09 AM
I can't really nail down a reason that I take pictures. I just love it!

Video, however, I like because it tells what I would call a "true" story of what is happening. By this I mean, in a video you see and hear what is really going on. Leaves very little to the imagination, but that is ok. A photo does not show me the mannerisms of my grandfather or great grandfather, a video would have been awesome to see. I have no idea what they were like. I can just see their faces in photos and imagine it. I'd like to have both.

When it comes to my DD, I like to look at some of the older videos of her and just hear her voice. How different it has become over the past 8 years. She is still as goofy as ever, but her voice brings me back to those days. I'm sure it will do so even more as she grows up. Plus, it is something that I can have playing on her wedding day! I'm sure she'll love that! :scared1:

cpbjgc
09-25-2007, 10:45 AM
And if I didn't take pictures of my kids (they are my main subject) no one else will. There are many shots I am so glad to have where their character and personality shine through, and if I didn't have a camera, they would have been lost in my not-always-that-great memory.

The other thing is we are a picture family - that's our preferred method of documenting our life. We are also a tactile bunch and like being able to handle the pictures or an album while telling others the story behind them - its just not the same when everyone is staring at a screen.

boBQuincy
09-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I have all these cameras lying around and they aren't good for much else. They make poor doorstops although they might be decent wheel chocks, which has been tempting occasionally.

Photography is a lifelong learning experience if you want it to be. To always improve, to be able to tell the story better in just one captured instant, is a challenge that never ceases.

When I download my images and carefully look at them, and see some little detail I missed... there's always next time!

It's like asking one of my co-workers why he races: "to put together that perfect lap, when I have done each corner to my absolute best." Like the perfect photograph, it's a goal we always reach for, knowing we will never get there. And the pursuit is *so* much fun! Usually... ;)