PDA

View Full Version : Disney Legends

disneychick2721
09-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Have you heard any good ones about any of the theme parks?

Although this ones not about a park:
Walt's body being frozen(which i read isnt true).

I also read there was a rumor of a basketball court in the Matterhorn mountain in Disneyland.

Has anyone else heard of any?

disney100666
09-22-2007, 03:44 PM
I heard that Walt's body was frozen and put under POTC or something like that.

disneychick2721
09-22-2007, 04:02 PM
I forgot where I found this. But it was interesting I think.

You Don't Know Disney: 10 Things That May Surprise You.

1. He is not frozen. His body was cremated, and his ashes are interred at the Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, California, near his studio.

2. Mickey Mouse's original name allegedly was Mortimer but Disney's wife Lillian objected because she thought it too "sissified."

3. Some of the names originally considered for the dwarfs in Snow White were: Deafy, Dirty, Awful, Blabby, Burpy, Gabby, Puffy, Stuffy, Nifty, Tubby, Biggo Ego, Flabby, Jaunty, Baldy, Lazy, Dizzy, Cranky and Chesty.

4. Walt Disney suffered a nervous breakdown in 1931 and descended into depression after the war, concentrating his attention on model trains rather than on motion pictures.

5. Fantasia was the result of a chance meeting between Walt Disney and symphony conductor Leopold Stokowski at Chasen's restaurant.

6. During World War II the Disney studio became a war factory with well over 90% of its production in the service of government training, education and propaganda films.

7. The studio stopped production for six months on Pinocchio because Walt felt the title character wasn't likable enough. During this time he devised the idea of introducing Jiminy Cricket as Pinocchio's conscience.

8. Walt Disney received more Academy Awards than any other individual--32.

9. Disney modeled Mickey Mouse on Charlie Chaplin and that Chaplin later assisted the Disneys by loaning them his financial books so they could determine what kind of proceeds they should be getting from their distributor on Snow White.

10. MGM head Louis B. Mayer once rejected the opportunity to distribute Mickey Mouse cartoons shortly after Walt had invented the character because Mayer said that pregnant women would be frightened by a giant mouse on screen.

Tinkerbell424
09-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Those are cool.

I am not sure if this is true or not but i heard that a long time ago a cast member was crushed in between the moving walls on CoP.:eek:

AngelInDisguise
09-22-2007, 04:26 PM
what is COP?
I am blank right now. lol

Thumbs18
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I read on another site a few years ago that POTC is haunted by an old CM named George. Every morning when the ride is opened if the CMs don't sy "Goodmorning George" then the ride breaks down or weird stuff happens. Don't know if It's true but It's cool

Tinkerbell424
09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
what is COP?

Carossel Of Progress (sp)

AngelInDisguise
09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
oh lol.

disneydance
09-22-2007, 04:40 PM
these are so interesting cant wait to read more

disney100666
09-22-2007, 05:16 PM
I read on another site a few years ago that POTC is haunted by an old CM named George. Every morning when the ride is opened if the CMs don't sy "Goodmorning George" then the ride breaks down or weird stuff happens. Don't know if It's true but It's cool

oh I read that too!

TwistyMisty
09-22-2007, 05:17 PM
I heard that Walt's body was frozen and put under POTC or something like that.
oh gosh

VMK_MagicalLadee
09-22-2007, 05:34 PM
The basketball court is true, and there was a CM who was crushed between the movign parts of CoP.

TwistyMisty
09-22-2007, 05:37 PM
wow

lpe_bratz
09-22-2007, 05:45 PM
The basketball court is true, and there was a CM who was crushed between the movign parts of CoP.

what basketball court legend??

Pirate Me
09-22-2007, 06:02 PM
I have heard of Walt Disney being frozen thing....and that he can come back if they wanted to. But I did a report on him. He died and they cremated him...

disneychick2721
09-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Walt Disney is cryogenically frozen. False
Ever since Walt Disney passed away there have been rumors surrounding his death. The most persistent rumor is Walt Disney is cryogenically frozen, and his body is in a hidden chamber beneath Pirates of The Caribbean at Disneyland. The privacy Disney maintained concerning his personal life extended to his death. Combined with his reputation as a technological innovator have allowed this legend to continue to be believed even today. Walt Disney, was cremated on December 17, 1966, two days after his death.

One of the last phrases Walt Disney wrote before his death was Kurt Russell True
During an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live in 2007, Kurt Russell confirmed this Disney Urban Legend. Apparently, the last two words that Walt Disney wrote were "Kurt" and "Russell". "It's true." said actor Kurt Russell, "I don't know what to make of it. I was taken into his office one time after he died and I was shown that." At the time of Disney's death Kurt Ruseell was a child actor for the Disney company.

Two Monorails Once Collided Into Each Other False
This urban legend sprung up with guest's trying to figure out why they are not allow to ride in the back of the Monorail. As legend has it early in the WDW property's operation, the Wabco (Westinghouse Air Brake) system failed in one of the Monorail trains, and it crashed into another. That is why to this day no one is allowed to ride in the rearmost area of the Monorail.

A Cast Member was thrown into the Magic Kingdom lagoon and was electrocuted. False
This is a common myth surrounding Grad Nite at Walt Disney WorldŽ. The story goes that some high school students threw Mickey Mouse into the lagoon at the Magic Kingdom, and the cast member died from electrocution from the air-conditioning unit inside the costume. There are 2 myths in this legend. First, there is no proof that Mickey was ever thrown into the lagoon. Second, the cast member would not have been electrocuted, as the character costumes do not contain air-conditioning units.

I bolded the rumor/legend.

randomtinkfan93
09-22-2007, 07:07 PM
...there was a CM who was crushed between the movign parts of CoP.

Oh! >< Owch!

Kats~Meow
09-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Goofy's original name was Dippy Dawg

DollfieDreams
09-23-2007, 01:48 AM
lolllll
these are so much fun to read.
ive been downstairs at pirates. theres no walt, i promise. even though we all joke about opening up a broom closet and finding "grandpa walt" in the back corner with the mop...
someone had started a rumor about there "being a hole in spaceship earth". well yes, there was. someone had an "uh-oh".
and i dont know about the whole "good morning george" thing. but i know that the cms at haunted mansion like to say good morning to master gracey, though.
and magic kingdom is the only park that has an underground series of tunnels. at epcot, we only have one tunnel that starts by energy and ends on the other side. :D

TwistyMisty
09-23-2007, 01:50 AM
Lmbo

disneychick2721
09-23-2007, 09:12 AM
This really doesnt have to do with this thread. but apparently there changing the name of Disney-MGM studios to:

9 August 2007: Disney-MGM Studios name change to Disney's Hollywood Studios(i found it on a website that gives you info on the parks, there was a lot of updates on there also.)

disney100666
09-23-2007, 11:41 AM
http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/parks.asp
here's a link to some rumors about the parks. someone them are pretty funny.

disneychick2721
09-23-2007, 12:06 PM
http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/parks.asp
here's a link to some rumors about the parks. someone them are pretty funny.

these were interesting some were kinda creepy though.

Cheshire Kitty
10-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I forgot where I found this. But it was interesting I think.

You Don't Know Disney: 10 Things That May Surprise You.

1. He is not frozen. His body was cremated, and his ashes are interred at the Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, California, near his studio.

2. Mickey Mouse's original name allegedly was Mortimer but Disney's wife Lillian objected because she thought it too "sissified."

3. Some of the names originally considered for the dwarfs in Snow White were: Deafy, Dirty, Awful, Blabby, Burpy, Gabby, Puffy, Stuffy, Nifty, Tubby, Biggo Ego, Flabby, Jaunty, Baldy, Lazy, Dizzy, Cranky and Chesty.

4. Walt Disney suffered a nervous breakdown in 1931 and descended into depression after the war, concentrating his attention on model trains rather than on motion pictures.

5. Fantasia was the result of a chance meeting between Walt Disney and symphony conductor Leopold Stokowski at Chasen's restaurant.

6. During World War II the Disney studio became a war factory with well over 90% of its production in the service of government training, education and propaganda films.

7. The studio stopped production for six months on Pinocchio because Walt felt the title character wasn't likable enough. During this time he devised the idea of introducing Jiminy Cricket as Pinocchio's conscience.

8. Walt Disney received more Academy Awards than any other individual--32.

9. Disney modeled Mickey Mouse on Charlie Chaplin and that Chaplin later assisted the Disneys by loaning them his financial books so they could determine what kind of proceeds they should be getting from their distributor on Snow White.

10. MGM head Louis B. Mayer once rejected the opportunity to distribute Mickey Mouse cartoons shortly after Walt had invented the character because Mayer said that pregnant women would be frightened by a giant mouse on screen.

1. That ones not true. They said it was under Aurora's castle and they would bring him back to life if cell re-animation were ever possible.

2.That one is true, its in all of the books and other things I have read about Walt Disney.

3. I've heard a few of those.

I don't know about 4 and 5.

6. I heard something about that

I' haven't heard about 7,8,9, or 10.

disneychick2721
10-08-2007, 05:27 PM
1. That ones not true. They said it was under Aurora's castle and they would bring him back to life if cell re-animation were ever possible.

2.That one is true, its in all of the books and other things I have read about Walt Disney.

3. I've heard a few of those.

I don't know about 4 and 5.

6. I heard something about that

I' haven't heard about 7,8,9, or 10.

I've actually read a few times that he was cremated, but I dont know I just got it from some website.

AngelInDisguise
10-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Walt was cremated

Nascar48
10-08-2007, 05:53 PM
what is COP?

that is half true. that did happen to a cm but it was at the show "america sings".

also the matterhorn basketball court one is true, there are pictures of it on snopes.

bouncytigger22
10-08-2007, 06:23 PM

cool!

disneychick2721
10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Okay I litterally am copy and pasting these for your viewing pleasure. Thats why everytime I post some theres so many :goodvibes

Legend - A private club called "Club 33" is located in New Orleans Square Disneyland.
True.
Club 33 is a private club which is only open to members and their guests. It was originally intended as a place where Walt could entertain guests, but sadly it wasn't completed until after his death. It is the only place in Disneyland where alcohol is served.

Legend - A private club called "Club 21" is located near Pirates of the Caribbean at Walt Disney World.
False.
There are private corporate lounges to be found in various locations at Walt Disney World, but Club 21 does not exist. This possibly stems from the known existence of Club 33 at Disneyland.

Legend - The plane used in 'Casablanca' is the same plane that can now be seen in The Great Movie Ride, at Disney-MGM Studios.
False.
The film Casablanca was filmed on soundstages at Warner Bros. Studios, which weren't big enough to accommodate a full size Lockheed Electra 12A plane. So a mock up was made from wood, and fog was added to the scene to try and conceal the plane as much as possible. However, the plane in the Great Movie Ride was used in various films, but not in Casablanca.

Legend - Guests have died on rides at Disneyland.
True.
Sadly, several guests have died whilst on rides at Disneyland, mostly due to not taking notice of safety instructions.

Legend - Men with long hair didn't used to be allowed into Disneyland.
True.
They were stopped by Cast Members from entering the parks, due to the strict 'dress code', until late 60s when the rule was abolished.

Legend - Male Cast Members weren't allowed to have any facial hair.
True.
Up until 2000, male Cast Members at Disneyland and Walt Disney World were forbidden from having beards, mustaches or long hair. They are now allowed to have neatly trimmed mustaches, but they must be grown during vacation. As of July 2003, male Cast Members are also allowed to sport corn row hairstyles, although they must meet strict specifications.
It was 1994 before female Cast Members were allowed to wear eyeshadow and eyeliner.

Legend - One of the images on the singing busts in the Haunted Mansion graveyard is Walt Disney.
False.
The image of Thurl Ravenscroft, which is projected onto one of the busts, is often mistaken for Walt Disney.

Legend - A guest was so frightened by the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland that he had a heart attack and died. As a result the attraction was closed and completely overhauled and the scary parts removed.
False.
No one has ever had a heart attack as a result of riding the Haunted Mansion. The ride has only ever had minor rehab work done.

Legend - There is a basketball court inside the Matterhorn at Disneyland.
True.
A very small area with a basketball net and floor markings can be found inside the top of the Matterhorn. The area is used by climbers who sometimes climb the mountain to entertain guests.

Legend - Walt was cryogenically frozen after his death, in the hope that one day medical science will be far enough advanced to bring him back to life.
False.
Walt was in fact cremated, as shown on his death certificate. His burial plot can be found at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale. Circumstances that added to this theory include the fact that there was no public funeral, at Walt's request; his death wasn't announced straight away (family members needed to be informed); instructions for the disposal of his body were not contained in his will.

Legend - Before his death, Walt Disney made a film instructing Disney executives how to run the company after his death.
False.
Walt left the running of Walt Disney Productions to his brother Roy amongst others, and did nothing to prepare for his death. The myth could stem from a short promotional film Walt made shortly before he died, about his concepts for Epcot and Walt Disney World.

Legend - The character Tinker Bell was based on Marilyn Monroe.
False.
Tinker Bell was in fact modeled on the actress Margaret Kerry.

Legend - Donald Duck was banned in Finland because he didn't wear trousers.
False.
This rumour started when politicians in Finland put a stop to buying Donald Duck comics with city funds, for economic reasons. The press got hold of the story and exaggerated it, stating that Donald had been banned because he didn't wear any trousers!

KingdomKeepers21
10-08-2007, 07:18 PM
You are also not supposed to say George's name by itself or in any sentance on PoTC in Florida, or the ride will break down instantly:scared1:

KingdomKeepers21
10-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Here's the Matterhorn basketball court -
http://www.snopes.com/disney/info/matterpc.htm

xo juicy splash
10-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Legend - Donald Duck was banned in Finland because he didn't wear trousers.
False.
This rumour started when politicians in Finland put a stop to buying Donald Duck comics with city funds, for economic reasons. The press got hold of the story and exaggerated it, stating that Donald had been banned because he didn't wear any trousers!

I would fall over laughing if that was true. xD

The word trousers makes me laugh for some unknown reason. :]]

Nascar48
10-08-2007, 08:36 PM
You are also not supposed to say George's name by itself or in any sentance on PoTC in Florida, or the ride will break down instantly:scared1:

hmm maybe i should try that lol

minniesBFF
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I used to have so many interesting facts about disney world. But now I've forgotten most of them.

I remember this one though:
In the "Partners" statue in Walt Disney World, Walt is actually pointing in the direction of Disneyland.

I remember this one too, although it's not really a myth:
The wedding ring of the bride in the Haunted Mansion in Disney World can be found in the pavement of the walkway as you're leaving the attraction. But it has been paved over in the recent rehab.

That one is true because me and my dad looked all over until we found the ring. I'm sure we looked like idiots, but it was worth it. XD

DollfieDreams
10-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I remember this one though:
In the "Partners" statue in Walt Disney World, Walt is actually pointing in the direction of Disneyland.

hes also "disney pointing" ;)

Princess Ash
10-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I love the one about the actress and Tinkerbell! That is awesome!!!

Nascar48
10-09-2007, 05:47 PM
In the part of the muppets 3-D show in MGM where they say "the key is under the doormat" there is an actual key under the doormat.

disneychick2721
10-09-2007, 05:57 PM
In the part of the muppets 3-D show in MGM where they say "the key is under the doormat" there is an actual key under the doormat.

Oh yeah ! I was looking for it but there were like ten people behind me giving me dirty looks =]