PDA

View Full Version : California Grill - Sushi Only

rlduvall
09-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Would we be frowned upon if we made an ADR for CG, but only ordered sushi, a couple of glasses of wine and maybe dessert? :confused3

I ate at CG last year and, while it was very good, I want to try a couple of other Signature Restaurants with my DDP credits in December. I would love to go to CG and see the fireworks, but I really only want the sushi (OOP). Naturally, I wouldn't want to tie up a table, but would ask for the "bar" seats that overlook the kitchen. Do they still have those? :cutie:

If I do this, should I set my ADR for only about 1 hour before Wishes?? Or, since December has the early Wishes on MVMCP nights, maybe 30 minutes before Wishes - order, have a drink, watch fireworks, then come back and eat. :)

TIA.

abbybeth
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't think it'd be a problem. I mean, people go to restaurants just to have dessert and a cup of coffee. With the size of appetizers down at WDW, if we hadn't been on the dining plan, I definitely could have made a meal out of just them! As for seats at the bar overlooking the kitchen - we ate there last week and there were a few people in those seats, so yes those are still available.

Our ADR was about an hour and 20 minutes before Wishes and they were about 20-30 minutes behind seating times plus Wishes was shown late that night due to weather. However, we were through eith our appetizer right before Wishes would have started if it had been on time at 9 (and we aren't exactly fast eaters) So anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour before should be fine based on the availability. If you're cutting it close, you can just ask your server to hold off on putting in your order until after Wishes so you can enjoy your drinks and the show.

HTH... I had sushi for the first time ever when we ate there and it was amazing. Yoshie was in and it was very obvious why she has the reputation she does! :)

Rocktire
09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Order whatever you like.....tough luck if they don't like it.

gatour
09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
I have done this and it isn't an issue.

rlduvall
09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Order whatever you like.....tough luck if they don't like it.

I know . . . but for some reason at high falutin' expensive honky tonks like CG . . . I want to blend in. :lmao:

Actually, when my friend and I went there last year in September, we didn't order any alcohol and our waiter was definitely perturbed. :confused3 I guess I'm still smarting from that . . . but not enough to give up the sushi. ;)

durango kid
09-21-2007, 04:07 PM
my wife and I did exactley that just one week ago. I felt like you did and even asked the waiter before I ordered if that was acceptable, his answer was to give his recommendations for the sushi and the wine, which was wonderful. As usaual it was a wonderful meal. Here is what we had.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f144/danansue0214/danasb-day009.jpg

Rocktire
09-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I know . . . but for some reason at high falutin' expensive honky tonks like CG . . . I want to blend in. :lmao:

Actually, when my friend and I went there last year in September, we didn't order any alcohol and our waiter was definitely perturbed. :confused3 I guess I'm still smarting from that . . . but not enough to give up the sushi. ;)

Well that waiter's behavior was unacceptable...not everyone drinks.

rlduvall
09-21-2007, 04:31 PM
my wife and I did exactley that just one week ago. I felt like you did and even asked the waiter before I ordered if that was acceptable, his answer was to give his recommendations for the sushi and the wine, which was wonderful. As usaual it was a wonderful meal. Here is what we had.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f144/danansue0214/danasb-day009.jpg

Yum!!! What is that? It looks delish. :) I'm a sushi newbie, so last year I "safely" ordered the California Roll and loved it.

marivaid
09-21-2007, 05:28 PM
That's what we plan to do in December, each order sushi & maybe a salad or flatbread. None of the entrees are very appealing to us.

durango kid, is it the sushi sampler ? Looks yummy!!!!

Paul in CT
09-21-2007, 07:44 PM

I would not worry about blending in. We have found that it depends more on your server than the restaurant as to how a "smaller" order is received. We have had both good and bad experiences at many WDW signature restaurants (but usually very good) since my DW almost always orders only an appetizer and salad and we share a dessert.

BTW, the sushi at CG is very good, at least to a sushi newbie like me! :)

JandT'smom
09-21-2007, 08:30 PM
My son and I did just that in June. we each ordered sushi and flat bread and shared a dessert we were stuffed. We sat in the part of the resturant where we had a window view of seven seas lagoon looking towards fort wilderness it was awesome.