PDA

View Full Version : Hoop-Dee-Doo - Worth Doing?

Terk-1
09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I was thinking of trying Hoop on my next trip. Have only been once and that was about 10 or 12 years ago.

How is the food? Is there a show time that is better than another? If I'm staying at the WL, do you take a boat or bus to HDDR? How is the show? Worth going solo?

Christine
09-20-2007, 01:30 PM
How is the food?

Mediocre to good. Decent fried chicken, fairly tough ribs, baked beans, corn bread, butter, salad, and strawberry shortcake. It's fine but not gourmet.

Is there a show time that is better than another?
All the shows are equally the same. Same length, same energy. I personally prefer the 5:00 p.m. show as it is a nice cool break on a long hot day. But the 7:15 p.m. show seems to be the hardest to get into.

If I'm staying at the WL, do you take a boat or bus to HDDR? How is the show?
The boat would be the best. Not sure if there is a direct bus from WL to Pioneer Hall.
Worth going solo?

I wouldn't do it but I see nothing wrong with it.

KevGuy
09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
It is an excellent evening of entertainment and the food is good too, and even free beer is included!! Go for it!:thumbsup2

mickeystoontown
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
We've been to the Hoop Dee Doo Review two years in a row and really enjoyed it both times. The first time, we went to the 7:? p.m. show and the second time we went to the 9:? p.m. show. The theater at the 7 p.m. show was packed. The theater at the 9:? p.m. show was only about 1/3 full. (Both times we went were in June)

The food was good both times. The fried chicken is some of the best we found at WDW. I'm not a super big fan of ribs but they were good to me. The side dishes were good too.

We are staying at the WL next June and it's my understanding that you can walk from the WL to FW. That's what we intend to do since we like to walk around and explore.

NEVERENOUGHWDW
09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I read it was closing for refurbishment, I don't recall the date.

LarryJ
09-20-2007, 06:33 PM
I was thinking of trying Hoop on my next trip. Have only been once and that was about 10 or 12 years ago.

How is the food? Is there a show time that is better than another? If I'm staying at the WL, do you take a boat or bus to HDDR? How is the show? Worth going solo?

We've done the HDDR twice since 1984/86 the last time in 2005 and the show hasn't changed one bit except for what a CM told my DW one line somewhere. IIRC the food is also the same and IMHO is very good, but this last time in 2005 i felt a little rushed ... but we had the first show ressies and they are on a schedule. First time we sat in the back or in the balcony, but in 2005 were where front row staqe left and it was great ... IMHO get the stage 1 or whatever it's called ressies and I think you can reserve this beyond the standard 180 day rule IIRC, maybe up to a year in advance ... it's apparantly that popular.

It's not really a bargin depending on where you are coming from, but IMHO is something you have to experience at WDW at least once sort of like the GHSR.

Larry

SnowWhite2
09-20-2007, 06:38 PM
We love HDDR and go every chance we get. The food is good by WDW standards and includes the show and beer/wine and tip. It is great Disney fun - the kids love the corny jokes and the adults get the subtle humor that goes over the kids heads.

jmkrat
09-20-2007, 06:48 PM
We really enjoyed it, I thought it was alot of fun. My kids were 19 and 15 at the time we went, and they loved it too. We thought the food was good, and the entertainment was well worth it. We went to the 6pm show so we could take the boat to MK afterwords. I think you could have fun going solo, go for it.:)

Gerweniel
09-20-2007, 07:08 PM
My DSs and I have been to HDDR 2 times and loved it! I just asked them if they'd go again and it was a mutual YES!
I can't explain if it is Ft. Wilderness itself, the show, the food or a combo of all of it but it is a very rare occassion that the 3 of us can belly laugh out loud at the same jokes, enjoy the same meal and walk away completely happy!
Sure it is expensive and corny and the food isn't gourmet, but wow it has given us some great memories and pictures!

Have fun :thumbsup2

Terk-1
09-21-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't like ribs or baked beans. Will they leave these out if asked? Also, as a solo, do they have small tables for 1 or 2 people or will I be put at a larger table with strangers?

mking624
09-21-2007, 09:11 AM
We went there on 9/13...we weren't impressed. The show was cheesy but cute. The food was not that great. The fried chicken was typical fried chicken (nothing spectacular about the taste, but you might have thought it was dipped in gold the way the guy sitting next to us kept shouting his praises about it). The ribs were tough and very fatty and tasted as though they overseasoned it (and this coming from a person who loves the use of seasonings). While the mashed potatoes tasted ok, it was incredibly runny. We didn't try the baked beans as we don't really care for them. The salad...was well, salad. Neither here nor there. The cornbread was very dry as was the strawberry shortcake. Fortunately for us it was free with the dining plan, because there is no way I'd pay that kind of money for the food we ate there. We definitely weren't expecting gourmet food...but we were expecting food that tasted decent.

Christine
09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't like ribs or baked beans. Will they leave these out if asked? Also, as a solo, do they have small tables for 1 or 2 people or will I be put at a larger table with strangers?

Of course they will leave them out. Yes they have tables that seat 2 people. They won't sit you with another family but the tables can be close together in some instances.