PDA

View Full Version : SOG restaurants...any comments?

wildernesslodgelover
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Manginos, Garden Gallery and Evergreen Sports Bar....any comments? I don't hear too much about them. Looks like we may have an opportunity to stay at SOG, which I am very excited about!:cool1:

Melisa1
09-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi!

We have stayed at SOG a few times and love it!!!!!

Mangino's is an Italian restaurant and IMO very good. To me, its more authentic Italian then say Olive Garden or something like that.

Evergreen's is a sports bar/restaurant type place, they have really good burgers and pizza.

Garden Gallery is a buffet - they also have a menu, but I have always had the buffet. Each night is a different theme (go to allears.net to get the menu for each night). They also have a breakfast buffet. I think it is good food also, I guess I prefer breakfast there.

Hope you enjoy your stay.:)

ZoZo
09-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I wasn't that impressed with Evergreens - the quality of the food was okay, but not good, when I went. It would do "in a pinch," but for a fast meal, I plan to try Captain Cook's at the Poly (right next door to SOG) next week. They're supposed to have pretty good food.

I tried the breakfast buffet at Garden Gallery last trip, and thought it was pretty good. Fresh-made belgian waffles and other common breakfast items (eggs, bacon, etc.). The price is great - it was about $7 or $8 pp for all you can eat - a real bargain compared to WDW restaurants!

Have not tried Mangino's but have heard good reports about it.

meriann
09-19-2007, 03:58 PM
We enjoyed the breakfast there, dinner was just OK. Also the breakfast sandwiches at the coffee stand by the bus stop is VERY GOOD! We grabbed it to go and ate on the way to the park one day.

We hope to eat at Manganio's when we go back in June.

We LOVE the hotel. its so roomy and you can't beat the PRICE!

have a good trip.

wildernesslodgelover
09-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks so much for the comments! I am really excited, because I am not military, but a friend of mine has a DH that is...and our dates jibe so we get to go. I am so impressed by the rate ($103 a night, including taxes and fees!):banana: I love the location and also the "lodgey" look of the resort.

ZoZo-I saw the price of the buffet and though to myself ...that it is a VERY good deal, and even if it is just "eh" it at least is a great price compared to some other "eh" WDW meals that I have had!

Melisa-I HATE (sorry, that is such a strong word, I know) Olive Garden, so I hope it is a LOT better than that! i do want to try it...might as well while we are staying there! I assumed Evergreens would have the regular bar tupe food...and that is ok with us.

Thanks Merian! We migt have to try one of those grab and go sandwiches!!!!!

hildarumpole
09-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Mangino's was one of our favorite restaurants during our Disney trip. We loved it so much, we ate there 3 times. It's better than Olive Garden. The prices are very reasonable when compared to other Disney resort or park table service restaurants. The Veal Marsala and Linguine with Clam Sauce are fabulous.

Evergreens is fine for a casual meal. It's sandwiches and pizza. Nothing special, but the kids liked the game room. Tropical drinks hit the spot.

We never ate at Garden Galley, but we did get some breakfast sandwiches, pastry and coffee from the stand by the bus stop. Prices were fair and the guys who work the stand are terrific.

You are going to have a great time at SOG! It's a beautiful resort and the people couldn't be nicer.

wildernesslodgelover
09-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Ohhh, thanks, hilda! I am getting more and more excited by the second!:yay: See, our seasonal passes (we are FL residents) and our Disney Dining Experience card will expire the end of Oct 07. DH and I agreed we are going to "take a break" from the pass and our frequent WDW trips...maybe just until Fall '08. So, I am thinking that on this January trip we will do a lot of activities that we sometimes miss because of "park days" and we will dine places that don't accept the DDE card. I see none of the SOG restaurants accept it, but it seems the prices are so reasonable, it doesn't matter!

I am really not expecting too much from Evergreen's food. Just some greasy bar foor to soak up the alcohol, and I will be ok!:thumbsup2

robynv
09-19-2007, 07:44 PM
okay my 2 cents... Evergreens was pretty good for burgers and we got a pizza one night. BUT... the buffet for dinner was YUCK with a capital Y!!! It was just awful and the staff couldn't be bothered with us. Food was fatty, and looked like it had been made the day before and warmed up.. yuck!

wildernesslodgelover
09-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the honesty, Robin. Seems like most people agree the breakfast there is the better choice. It looks like during our stay we will try Manginos (I hope I am spelling that right) once for dinner, the buffet breakfast once, and I am sure a few drinks and snacks at Evergreens.

Boma is one of my favorite restaurants on property, and I hear people trash it all the time. On the other hand, some people rave about Fulton's ...and that is the one restaurant that I walked out of extremely disappointed, and felt not only over charged but also HUNGRY! It is amazing how many different opinions there are on the boards!:confused3

I still like to hear everyone's opinion, though!:goodvibes

wildernesslodgelover
09-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Hmmm, is there no buffet breakfast at Gallery anymore? BUMMER!:sad1:

plutospup
09-20-2007, 06:56 AM
SOG is a great resort! Check out the big Mickey in the lobby!

As for the restaurants, The Garden Galley buffet was alright. There was a good selection. Some nights were better for us than others. For the price, it was good. It was very convenient, and the service was good. It doesn't claim to be Victoria & Alberts, and it isn't. For a good, reasonably priced meal on WDW property The Garden Galley certainly fit our needs.

wildernesslodgelover
09-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks, pup! I am sure we will want to venture out of the resort quite a bit, so probably just a dinner at Mangino's one night will be it...I am just disappointed they no longer have the breakfast at GG! :( I will be sure to peek in at the dinner selection at GG, just to see how it looks!

ntsammy5
09-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Manginos is very good, but DS loves Evergreen. He always comes back with lots of cups!

wildernesslodgelover
09-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I assure you ...we WILL be spending some time at Evergreen's! Is there a pool bar at SOG? Or is Evergreen's the pool bar/sports bar? When I was looking at pics, I saw an outdoor entrance to Evergreens and I was trying to figure out if it is by the pool.

Is the pool heated? I doubt I will be swimming in Jan, but you never know. I am a native Floridian and I have had plenty of Christmases that involved swimming. The weather can be warm, cold, or anything in between.

This is what I love to do....I love to get excited about a resort, look at pics, check out menus, get feedback from DISers...I will do this often until January.:yay:

ntsammy5
09-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Is there a pool bar at SOG? Or is Evergreen's the pool bar/sports bar? When I was looking at pics, I saw an outdoor entrance to Evergreens and I was trying to figure out if it is by the pool.

Yup, the pool is right outside off the Evergreen patio. When you're inside the bar, look up. It's really kind of neat. Enjoy yourself. I'll be there in January too but SoG is booked so I'm staying at POP. I will definitely show up at Evergreen though. It's tradition!

Besides, DS needs some new glasses so I'll have to stop and get some for him.

wildernesslodgelover
09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the Evergreen's location!

Ummm, I am getting nervous...what dates at SOG are booked? My friend called yesterday and said Jan was wide open, and she was goping to book today.

Awww, man...now I am getting nervous! I hate being helpless...I cannot book it myself. It is her husband who is military and she is "sponsoring" us or whatever it is called. I hate to bug her, but I might have to call her later and check.

ntsammy5
09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Over the marathon weekend -- Jan 11-13 I think are the dates

Melisa1
09-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks, pup! I am sure we will want to venture out of the resort quite a bit, so probably just a dinner at Mangino's one night will be it...I am just disappointed they no longer have the breakfast at GG! :( I will be sure to peek in at the dinner selection at GG, just to see how it looks!

When did they stop the breakfast buffet at Garden gallery? This is disapointing.:confused:

wildernesslodgelover
09-20-2007, 11:51 AM
I may be wrong melisa (and I hope that I am!) I just saw on allearsnet.com, there was not breakfast menu, or even mention of it. Hopefully someone who has been recently can confirm.

ntsammy-Oh, ok, We are going the weekend prior. Whew! I hope it is open and available, but I will call my friend to give her a gentle "nudge!"

Melisa1
09-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I may be wrong melisa (and I hope that I am!) I just saw on allearsnet.com, there was not breakfast menu, or even mention of it. Hopefully someone who has been recently can confirm.

ntsammy-Oh, ok, We are going the weekend prior. Whew! I hope it is open and available, but I will call my friend to give her a gentle "nudge!"

I went to www.shadesofgreen.org and looked at dining, it shows Garden Gallery open at 7am to 11am for breakfast. Maybe someone here thats been recently will clarify. :)

hildarumpole
09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
The Garden Galley was serving breakfast when we went in June. I don't remember ever seeing a menu listing for the breakfast on allears. I doubt SOG would stop serving breakfast at GG, because the only other place to eat in the morning would be the quick service stand. Also, if you get the Fun and Sun package, breakfast at GG is included.

wildernesslodgelover
09-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Yay! I am glad. I love a good breakfast buffet, and at that price, I will like it even more! Would you say an ADR is needed? Or can I wing it on a Sunday in early january? Do they take ADRs at 407 WDW Dine like the rest of the paces?

Thanks for all the tips and info. This is a fun thread for me.:goodvibes

hildarumpole
09-20-2007, 05:57 PM
You can't book SOG dining reservations through the Disney line. You shouldn't need a reservation, but if you feel more comfortable making one, just call the SOG dining number from your room the night before or when you get up in the morning to reserve breakfast. We only made ressies at Mangino's and were able to call at the last minute and get in within a 1/2 hour. It was really nice not having to stress about some of our meals like we did with figuring out our ADRs in the parks 6 mos. in advance.

LarryJ
09-20-2007, 06:03 PM
This is all great info since I'm retired military and both our sons are active duty NAs and hopw to join us on our upcoming magical experience in Dec of this year, but the ADR thing is hard since one is still deployed and the date of return while firmer this split carrier depoyment thing can still mess things up. The other is fixing to depoy so we're going to hope that if the regular ADRs we have don't work out then SOG will be our backup.

Larry

wildernesslodgelover
09-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks, Hilda, that is great news!

God bless you and your family, Larry! I truly hope you all get to enjoy an awesome Disney vacation soon!

TexasMomof2
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Mangino's was one of our favorite restaurants during our Disney trip. We loved it so much, we ate there 3 times. It's better than Olive Garden. The prices are very reasonable when compared to other Disney resort or park table service restaurants. The Veal Marsala and Linguine with Clam Sauce are fabulous.

Just wondering if you had or needed reservations to eat there.

Thanks!

Mrsjvb
10-17-2007, 12:07 PM
we just left SoG about a month ago.

Evergreens: was there just about every night at the bar for drinks and either dessert or noshies(typically appetizers) Food is typical bar food. we kept going back for the bar tender and the company. the Pizzas smelled divine, but we never ordered one as they are fairly decent sized and we only ate there for a full meal the Sunday we arrived for lunch. the Bar bill.. well.. lets just say I personally killed three bottles of wine the week we were there...

The Buffet: The breakfast buffet, I am sorry, was 'eh' at best. yes, it's cheap when compared to every other Breakfast Buffet, but I don't particularly care for buffets and there were no a la carte options. Breakfast for us usually was grabbed at the cafe down by the bus stop. heard mediocre to bad reviews on the lunch and dinner options. For the same price I could have had what I wanted at a TS or CS in the parks.

Manginos: I hate Italian, but heard nothing but rave reviews of the place. Our driver recommended it specially for a nice quiet evening.

The Cafe downstairs will pack a picnic lunch for you for the next day,and they serve basic continental breakfast type stuff early in the morning.

ntsammy5
10-17-2007, 12:35 PM

I've never seen it very crowded, so I think you can get by without reservation. I also haven't been during paek times for the past two years either...........

wildernesslodgelover
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
we just left SoG about a month ago.

Evergreens: was there just about every night at the bar for drinks and either dessert or noshies(typically appetizers) Food is typical bar food. we kept going back for the bar tender and the company. the Pizzas smelled divine, but we never ordered one as they are fairly decent sized and we only ate there for a full meal the Sunday we arrived for lunch. the Bar bill.. well.. lets just say I personally killed three bottles of wine the week we were there...

The Buffet: The breakfast buffet, I am sorry, was 'eh' at best. yes, it's cheap when compared to every other Breakfast Buffet, but I don't particularly care for buffets and there were no a la carte options. Breakfast for us usually was grabbed at the cafe down by the bus stop. heard mediocre to bad reviews on the lunch and dinner options. For the same price I could have had what I wanted at a TS or CS in the parks.

Manginos: I hate Italian, but heard nothing but rave reviews of the place. Our driver recommended it specially for a nice quiet evening.

The Cafe downstairs will pack a picnic lunch for you for the next day,and they serve basic continental breakfast type stuff early in the morning.

Thanks for the recent reviews! I gotta say, I LOVE breakfast buffets...nothing like loading up 27 pieces of bacon on your plate without having to ask for it!:banana: Do you think the quality was poor, or maybe the selection was just "eh" or is it truly because you don't like *any* breakfast buffets?

And *gasp*:scared: you don't like Italian? Isn't there a saying, about the law of gravity and everyone likes Italian food...something about those being two universal truths or something? LOL.

Congrats on your wine comsumption...I am impressed! I will only be there for 2 nights, but might get close to that goal!:thumbsup2

hildarumpole
10-17-2007, 02:27 PM

Thanks!

We were told that we had to make reservations for Mangino's. It was never busy when we ate, but it must be a procedural thing for them. You can call the day you want to dine and get in without a problem. We usually made our ressie after returning from the parks in the late afternoon and always got the time we wanted.

wildernesslodgelover
10-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I googled and found it....it is a Neil Simon quote.

"There are two laws in the universe, the law of gravity, and everyone likes Italian food."

TexasMomof2
10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
We were told that we had to make reservations for Mangino's. It was never busy when we ate, but it must be a procedural thing for them. You can call the day you want to dine and get in without a problem. We usually made our ressie after returning from the parks in the late afternoon and always got the time we wanted.

Thanks. I am so excited. We will be there Jan. 2-8 with grandparents and our two kids (almost 4 and 5 1/2 years old). I am reading the Unofficial Guide to Disney and hoping we can be very efficient in touring and avoid the worst wait times. That said, I'm not sure I'm ready to push everyone and do EVERYTHING. I think with the ages of the kids it will be go go go until we need a nap. My DH and I went sans children in 2001 and now we're back with the whole family. I want everyone to have a good time and I think that's going to entail making sure a naptime is planned daily. Oh yes, and wine on the balcony every evening for parents and grandparents:goodvibes .

Mrsjvb
10-31-2007, 07:15 AM
I am used to Breakfast Buffets that include three kinds of egg preps, bacon, SSge, Canadian bacon and ham, made to order omelets and made to order waffles, huge fruit platters and a lot more variety in its pastry selection. It's not that I don't like buffets, although if given a choice I would choose something else.

as for Italian. My Grandmother's maiden name was Petta. We lived upstairs from her and both my parents worked(and occasionally deployed) so all I ever ate was Italian. I am sick of it!

micmacmissy
10-31-2007, 02:33 PM
We are also going in January and got a package that includes a breakfast and dinner buffet each day...so yes, they DO still have the breakfast buffet.

The buffets must be pretty bad...I haven't found one positive thing about them on these boards! Oh well, for us they were free...so I figure we'll use the breakfast buffet and just skip most of the dinners.

ZoZo
10-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I am used to Breakfast Buffets that include three kinds of egg preps, bacon, SSge, Canadian bacon and ham, made to order omelets and made to order waffles, huge fruit platters and a lot more variety in its pastry selection. It's not that I don't like buffets, although if given a choice I would choose something else.

Wow! That would be a very nice breakfast buffet - certainly something you'd pay $20+ for at a nice restaurant. Personally, I'd never spend that much on a breakfast buffet because I'm a pretty light eater for breakfast - it just wouldn't be worth the money for me.

I went to the SOG breakfast buffet in 2005, and thought it was fine. Nothing fancy, but good basic food (scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, juice, fruit, cereal), plus make-your-own-belgian-waffles (which were quite good, since they were so fresh!). At about $8 per person, I thought it was a really good value.

*Flower*
10-31-2007, 06:37 PM
I am so impressed by the rate ($103 a night, including taxes and fees!)

Shades of Green doesn't charge you any taxes or fees. Whatever the room rate is, is what you pay.

HTH!!

Sleepy
11-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Does anyone know if the chef at Manginos is from Italy? Wondering if I can request a specific dish not offered on the menu (as long as they have the ingredients available).

ConnieB
11-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Do you have to be military to eat at the restaurants? My DH was in the military for 17 years when an off-duty car accident broke his back. Since he couldn't return to work he was given an Honorable, but it meant the loss of his retirement and all that entails! I really miss the commisary and BX especially. :sad1:

But these restaurants sound pretty cool. And, it would be nice to be around the military mind set again.

ntsammy5
11-01-2007, 08:18 AM
No, anyone can eat at SoG.

PilotWife
11-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Shades of Green doesn't charge you any taxes or fees. Whatever the room rate is, is what you pay.

HTH!!

Plus 5$ a night for parking.(not included in your price of the room-it is added at check in)

My opinion of the buffet is.....typical food from a military officer's club. Not anything to write home about but not awful. I would only eat there again in a pinch.

The hotel stay....wonderful rooms...love the grounds....pool o.k but my kids miss the slides, but the ice cream parlor sometimes makes up for that.

Jennifer

hildarumpole
11-01-2007, 09:21 AM
The SOG restaurants are not open to the general public.

ConnieB: SOG had an offer in September, and I believe again in January 2008, that allows ANY veteran to stay at SOG, not just current military and retirees. Was your dh discharged with a 100% service-connected disability? If so, then your family would be entitled to enjoy the benefits of the resort. If you're interested, go to the website and it explains eligibility requirements. www.shadesofgreen.org

Sleepy: When we ate at Mangino's in June, the chef was not from Italy. He seemed somewhat tempermental. We witnessed a hissy fit in the open kitchen when a customer requested a pasta substitute. The chef explained that the type of pasta used is integral to the dish. The poor waitress was caught in the middle, but the chef reluctantly obliged and said he didn't want to hear any complaints if the guy didn't like the dish. You could call ahead and ask if he'll prepare something special. The menu on allears doesn't look accurate. I remember more pasta dishes. What you're looking for just might be on the menu.

ntsammy5
11-01-2007, 09:31 AM
The SOG restaurants are not open to the general public.

Hmmmmm... my sister and her husband live about 20 minutes from WDW and go to the World every week. They like the food at SoG and eat there a couple of times a year. Neither one of them has any connection to the military.

One other thing to add, and not many people know about this.

Last year a friend's son got married at WDW and they held the rehearsal dinner at the SoG. Except for me, no one else has any military affiliation at all. Other than getting the phone number I didn't have to sponsor them or anything. They could have had the reception there too, but opted for Epcot. It was a good deal and lots of people ended up at Evergreen after the dinner.

hildarumpole
11-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Hmmmmm... my sister and her husband live about 20 minutes from WDW and go to the World every week. They like the food at SoG and eat there a couple of times a year. Neither one of them has any connection to the military.

The official position, according to the SOG website, is that a military id is needed to access the property to eat at the restaurants. We saw golfers at Evergreen's who were not resort guests or military. Golf courses surround the property and one of the course's parking lots is accessed through the SOG entrance gate. The only meal options availble to golfers on the Magnolia course are a CS near the SOG quiet pool and Evergreen's, so it makes sense to allow non-military to eat there. So yes, strictly speaking, the general public is allowed to eat at Evergreen's since it's the only TS on that golf course. Various contractors and service people who have business at the resort can gain access. Our town car driver presented an access pass to the gate guard when he dropped us off. I don't know if he's ever claimed to be there on official business to be able to eat at one of the restaurants, but that's possible. SOG rents out space to the general public for receptions and meetings to help offset the resort costs and keep rates down for miltary families. They aren't going to strong arm those guests and prevent them from going to Evergreen's. SOG is for the primary benefit of military families. I suppose if an ineligible person is bound and determined to eat the buffet or at Mangino's, they could circumvent the system and get on the property. Where there's a will, there's a way. But, if it becomes an obvious problem (restaurants so busy, guests can't get in or a security issue), SOG may be forced to get stricter with id checks of the guests. Military families go through enough day to day nonsense. Hopefully, most people are respectful of SOG and the military families by not creating unneccessary problems just for a meal they could easily get at any of the hundreds of similar restaurants in the area.

ntsammy5
11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I suppose if an ineligible person is bound and determined to eat the buffet or at Mangino's, they could circumvent the system and get on the property.

Just want to be clear on one point. My sister always tells them at the gate she's there to eat and has never been refused entrance. There's no circumvention there.

Sleepy
11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Sleepy: When we ate at Mangino's in June, the chef was not from Italy. He seemed somewhat tempermental. We witnessed a hissy fit in the open kitchen when a customer requested a pasta substitute. The chef explained that the type of pasta used is integral to the dish. The poor waitress was caught in the middle, but the chef reluctantly obliged and said he didn't want to hear any complaints if the guy didn't like the dish. You could call ahead and ask if he'll prepare something special. The menu on allears doesn't look accurate. I remember more pasta dishes. What you're looking for just might be on the menu.

I think I could have some fun with this guy ;)

EPCOTDUDE
11-01-2007, 06:17 PM
The food and drink at SOG are very good and the price is right. The problem for me was the slow service.