PDA

View Full Version : General WDW Dining Thoughts

LarryJ
09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm fairly new here, but far from a newbie going to WDW or eating since we have eaten at probably 95% of all the restaurants except the Swan and Dolphin since we started going back in 1985. Now this IJMPHO but consider the following.

1. There are no real value meals at WDW, it's a resort and all meals are overpriced based on what you can get back home at your "favorite" local restaurant.

2. Many of the restaurants are sort of "themed" to a degree so don't order "steak" at Narcoossee's, Le Chef's or Bistro in France, San Angel, Coral Reef, etc. You get the idea. Just like don't order a pasta type dish at San Angel, France, Coral Reef ... that's not what they serve.

3. When posting separate out the food from the service. You can on occasion get terrible service and that mood makes you think the meal is worse than it is.

4. Taking my comment in #1 above remember there are only 4 or 5 "fine" dining experiences at WDW and for the price of a "fine" dining experience at your home location you're almost talking about counter service food and service at WDW ... sorry that's just the way it is.

5. Don't expect any CS at WDW to be better in quality or service than you can get at your local "COUNTER SERVICE" local restaurants such as Mc'Ds, Wendys, Popeyes, etc.

6. If going to something like Sci-Fi order burgers/fries and not Italian and don't expect Prime Time to serve your favorite sides or have a five star service.

To be honest I would never order a real "steak" type meal at WDW anywhere except maybe just because I have read enough good things along with the bad to spend the $$$ and give it a shot, I'll do that back at my trailer when I can cook my filet minon or strip/T-bone/Porterhouse to my desires.

I would like to hear others views of how to evaluate and post on their restaurant experiences.

Larry

hoosll
09-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Just like food at the movies is reidiculously expensive because it can be ... food is expensive at the World.

Over the years, I have had good meals and so-so meals. I am always thankful that I was on vacation and therefore did not have to cook it or clean up afterwards.

I can't get psyched to do a beach vacation because all I see is ME in the kitchen cooking, just like home.

Disney has tried to attract good chefs but I have noticed that the quality of food at some restaurants has declined. I get depressed when they move a great chef to a new spot and dishes like banana napoleans (Flying Fish)disappear....

Bottom line: There are too many chain restaurants in America - so far there are fewer of them at WDW than most places but even WDW is getting more chains and independent restaurants - see the dining plan not-on-the-list-yet for 2008.

PrincessSuzanne
09-18-2007, 06:54 PM
All I have to add is I LOVE :love: WDW food and it definitely doesn't even compare to MCDonalds or Wendys. Gimmie some WDW CS food anyday. I also love all of the TS restaurants we have eaten at, with the excepption of some of the food at CRT and it really is over priced, but worth it at least once.

Suzanne princess:

momtoBrandon&Jacob
09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Are you kidding?! I love the CS places like Peco's Bill, Flame Tree BBQ, and Sunshine Seasons. They are not at all comparable to Mcdonald's or Wendy's.

branv
09-18-2007, 07:12 PM
2. Many of the restaurants are sort of "themed" to a degree so don't order "steak" at Narcoossee's, Le Chef's or Bistro in France, San Angel, Coral Reef, etc. You get the idea. Just like don't order a pasta type dish at San Angel, France, Coral Reef ... that's not what they serve.

Larry

While I understand what you are trying to say, it doesn't really make sense to tell someone not to order steak at the French-themed restaurants. Beef/steak is definitely a part of French cuisine.

bookgirl2632
09-18-2007, 07:12 PM
I've had CS meals at WDW comparable to fast food places. You know, chicken fingers or burgers and fries, that sort of thing. But I've also had Tusker House and Flame Tree. Those are far better than any fast food I've ever had.

As for TS meals, again, I've had meals there that I could have had at Friday's or Applebee's or my neighborhood Italian restaurant. But I've also had some of the best meals I've ever had there as well. Citricos is one of the best restaurants I've ever been to.

But let's face it. This is Disneyworld. Everything is better at Disneyworld. I could have something as simple as a hot dog and it will be the best tasting hot dog I've ever had, regardless of the cost. I love WDW and I love WDW dining. I'm willing to pay the few extra bucks for it.

PrincessSuzanne
09-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I've had CS meals at WDW comparable to fast food places. You know, chicken fingers or burgers and fries, that sort of thing. But I've also had Tusker House and Flame Tree. Those are far better than any fast food I've ever had.

As for TS meals, again, I've had meals there that I could have had at Friday's or Applebee's or my neighborhood Italian restaurant. But I've also had some of the best meals I've ever had there as well. Citricos is one of the best restaurants I've ever been to.

But let's face it. This is Disneyworld. Everything is better at Disneyworld. I could have something as simple as a hot dog and it will be the best tasting hot dog I've ever had, regardless of the cost. I love WDW and I love WDW dining. I'm willing to pay the few extra bucks for it.

I have to say even their hot dogs taste better, well the ones from Casey's do.

Suzanne

wdw4us2
09-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I'll take the OP's points one by one:

1. I agree completely. There is something about enjoying certain familiar foods in a special environment that make them seem better than at home. i.e. Dole Whip in the MK; Bratwurst in Germany/World Showcase; frozen chocolate banana in AK.

2. While this used to be true, I'm not sure this is the case any longer. Now that many of the WDW restaurants are carrying the same items on their menus (Penne Pasta EVERYWHERE) you can order some of these dishes in a restaurant that doesn't necessarily specialize in that item. This is not really a good thing, though.

3. I think that's true anywhere, not just WDW.

4. I don't agree. Some of the WDW restaurants still offer signature dining. While it's more expensive than your home restaurants, you're still getting something extra for your money. I don't know of any location at home where I can see fireworks over Cinderella's Castle while eating dinner, or the EWP or Illuminations.

5. I find the counter service locations in the resorts to be a cut above chain CS restaurants, particularly at the moderates.

6. True. You are going to Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time for the atmosphere over the food.

My overall review notes a definite decline in all Disney Dining over the past two years. This is partly due to the rise of the DDP and the centralization of menus/ordering in the restaurants. It's too bad, because there are fewer places to have truly unique dining experiences than there once were.:guilty:

engle
09-19-2007, 08:57 AM
4. Taking my comment in #1 above remember there are only 4 or 5 "fine" dining experiences at WDW and for the price of a "fine" dining experience at your home location you're almost talking about counter service food and service at WDW ... sorry that's just the way it is.

Are you saying that fine dining where I live would be priced like counter service in WDW?? I just ate at an upscale, albeit not what I consider fine dining, restaurant in a suburb of Chicago. It cost more than Cali Grill and nearly as much as V&A!!

While I agree that counter service, well food in general, at WDW is overpriced, I think it is comparable to any theme park anywhere really or baseball stadium or arena (HP Pavilion in San Jose charges outrageous prices! Just an example cuz I recently returned!) or airport. They have a captive audience. That is the way it is. And I LOVE IT!!!

I really am sick of people complaining about the food prices at WDW. I wish these people wouldn't go and leave the fun to the rest of us!!

monami7
09-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Engle,
I agree that at every theme park ie. Six flaggs park in America, the prices are actually more for crap. They all have burgers and fries and nothing good or creative. Disney food is one of the reasons we go.
Heidi