PDA

View Full Version : Need a new carpet cleaning machine

minniecarousel
09-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know of a carpet cleaning machine that I can use the "Nature's Miracle" in? One of my cats has been peeing on carpet upstairs and I'm thinking that if I clean it real well with the cat-pee enzymatic cleaner, he might stop. (He's also at the Vet's right now, getiing his "system " flushed since he has a blockage and crystals.)

Most of the carpet cleaning machines seem to use hot water and a cleaner that is used just with that machine. I really want to use the enzyme cleaner to deter him from continuing to pee on carpet.

Any suggestions?

sweet angel
09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I used Nature's Miracle with mine (machine is long gone, so I'm not sure what brand it was), but I don't think I was technically supposed to.

I'll caution you though, when we finally ripped up my carpets (after maybe 2-3 years of frequent cleaning due to a dog who couldn't seem to get the knack of going outside) the padding was still damp and man did it stink. The hardwood underneath was nasty. I ended up bleaching the hardwood to get the moldy nastiness off.

I'd be wary of shampooing my carpets too often. I think you'd be better off just treating the area with Nature's Miracle by following the instructions...and not frequently.

ChrisnSteph
09-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Spend the extra money and get a Rug Doctor. Those Bissells and other cheaper brands don't last long and don't clean nearly as well as a Rug Doctor.

luvindisneyworld
09-18-2007, 04:43 PM
My DH is a Carpet installer and I have seen where people have tried to clean their carpets after that and ruined them even more.Cleaning your carpet breaks down the backing of it and also you cant get that smell out of the pad.:scared1: It will make you throw up when you pull that carpet up.The padding will stay damp and gets moldy and really nasty

If i were you I would think about replacing it.If you cant afford to right now I would at least have a company come and do it,like a restoration company to where they might pull it back and change the padding out .

MareQ
09-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Spend the extra money and get a Rug Doctor. Those Bissells and other cheaper brands don't last long and don't clean nearly as well as a Rug Doctor.

I agree. We have had the Bissell Big Green Clean Machine - broke, another upright type Bissell - broke and now we're on to a Hoover. It's a pain but I like having something just so I can do a spot cleaning here and there- for big cleanings we get a Rug Doctor.

wdw4us
09-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Call a place that sells industrial equipment. There is a product that is call EXIT you spray on the carpet or put in your water when cleaning. It will remove the odor. It's expensive and I'm not sure if you can buy less than a gallon but it works. My FIL used to clean carpets and did some fire restoration work and used this.

On the other hand, if it's plain dirt, we recently used woolite carpet cleaner where the cats got sick - a beige carpet no less and the thing looks brand new.

Good luck.

denise

p.s. if I find that the spelling of that product is wrong, I'll let you know.

minniecarousel
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
How about those little spot cleaning machines? Do they work OK? (liitle green machine?) I feel like I want to use something. I'm hoping that his "peeing outside the box" thing is over.

I'm sure we'll need to replace this carpet when we sell, which isn't going to be soon. (or give a carpet allowance to the buyer).

Wishing on a star
09-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Look into getting a used nautavac.

When I got mine, they were offering a Spring Cleaning special on the reconditioned models.

I know you are thinking "reconditioned" ????

But, I can swear to you that I will take my nautivac over a rug doctor or Walmart-bissel ANY DAY!!!

I used to rent a nautivac from a local store to clean my high traffic areas... They changed to rug doctor... :sad2: No comparison.

That is when I went to nautavac.com and saw that special. It looks old and worn, but it really works great!

PS: We recently re-carpeted our home. There was NO sign at all of water or mold. No watermarks or anything. If you do not over-spray the carpet, the suction on the nautavac is strong enough to extract nearly all of the water. It is like a commercial carpet cleaning system.

PS: If you are curious, go to nautavac.com and find out where the nearest rental outlet is. If there is one nearby, for a few bucks you can go rent one, and try it out for yourself.

Wishing on a star
09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
How about those little spot cleaning machines? Do they work OK? (liitle green machine?)

NOPE... get a real carpet cleaning system!

sweet angel
09-18-2007, 06:27 PM
How about those little spot cleaning machines? Do they work OK? (liitle green machine?)

Nope, not at all.

You really have to be careful how wet you let the carpet get. You COULD damage the subfloor.