PDA

View Full Version : Garden Grill

grimley1968
09-18-2007, 01:28 PM
It's been some time since we've eaten at Garden Grill in The Land pavilion in EPCOT. The last two times we ate there, probably about 4 and 5 years ago, the food was good and it was nice to have a character meal with less hassle than some of the other restaurants. The rotating view was great as well.

However, the service was horrible both times. It was a little bit slow, and the servers both times had condescending attitudes towards my family. I could deal with things being a little slow at times, but the snide attitude was a little too much.

But even with that history, it's a neat enough place that we were considering trying it again during our upcoming trip to WDW. I'm posting a poll with this to get a feel for what people think of Garden Grill now.

If you've eaten there in the last couple of years, please respond to the poll, and state why you answered the way you do.

Thanks in advance!

stitchlover
09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I have to explain why I voted satisfactory. I would actually give the food a poor and the character interaction excellent. We went in March '07 and I felt that the service was okay, but the food was over cooked, bland and just not that great. But the character interaction was 12 on a scale of 1 to 10.

The character interaction was so good that I agreed to schedule it again for our trip in March '08. I just get to eat what I want for dinner that night since that meal is for our daughter!

grimley1968
09-18-2007, 01:42 PM
How was the service, not counting the character interaction? Thanks.

SnowWtch
09-18-2007, 01:58 PM
The service was great when we went last month for lunch. He kept the drinks refilled as well as our plates. The food was quite good except for the veggies which were a little salty. The character interaction was wonderful especially since it was our first character meal. We're definitely going back again. The only thing I would say negative is that it was noisy. We got there an hour early for our ADR and were seated in less than 5 minutes. We had a blast.

grimley1968
09-18-2007, 02:03 PM
the veggies were a little salty.

I remember this as well. It's not too surprising, since it's supposed to feature quintessential American farm foods. And what do we Americans use more of than anything else to completely hide any notion of a vegetable-like taste? Salt. :rotfl2:

But it's good to read the service was good for someone recently. In our last 2 times there, it was shocking how rude the servers were.

marivaid
09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
We had lunch at GG in July. The character interaction was great, but the food was tasteless. Dessert was good. I'd go back solely for the characters but ask for the kid's food instead. Our server wasn't bad, more like indifferent.

kathie859
09-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Bumping 'cause I have an ADR there in 2 weeks.....:goodvibes

disneyquilter
09-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I gave it an Excellent rating because both times we have eaten there (Jan 2007 & Aug 2005), we had the best service & the best character interaction. The food was good too :)

I hope this helps.

Densgirl
09-18-2007, 04:44 PM
We love this place. We've had good food and the service was incredible last time we were there in 2006. The man belonged at California Grill he was so good. I vote Excellent

gigi1313
09-18-2007, 05:11 PM
this is one of our family's FAVORITE restaurants and the one dining experience i missed the most on our most recent trip 'cause we couldn't get ADRs when we needed/wanted them (and had to settle for Coral Reef, which was excellent, it just wasn't our FAVE, kwim?)... the service has always been top-notch, they handle my son's food allergies w/grace and make him feel special even w/all that he cannot have... it's the FIRST ADR i am planning to make for our '08 trip when my 180 day window opens!

TheRatPack
09-18-2007, 05:32 PM
We ate there 2 weeks ago and it was really good. Very tasty food, I think I ate all the catfish on my own LOL (Oink Oink) and I loved the pastry dessert....YUMMY!!! The Turkey was good, the kids loved the chicken and mac and cheese and the potatoes were excellent too. Our waitress was very cordial and kept our glasses filled to the brim, and our platters filled with food too.

JPG
09-18-2007, 06:52 PM
We ate at GG in August. The food was good, the service was great, and the character interaction was awesome! My Daughter especially enjoyed it.

suzimar57
09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
we like it there - especially because out of all the foods that are brought to the table, it works out that the ones my DH doesn't like, i get to eat more of! (like the veggies, salad and fish)

Pixiedust34
09-18-2007, 07:10 PM
We ate there in 06 and 07. The food was pretty good overall, but the service was slow in 07. There were 4 of us at the table during 8/07, and they brought three small pieces of catfish for all of us. We went through the catfish quickly and the mac & cheese for the kids quickly. It was a long time until we saw our server to request seconds. And then it was a long time until she brought seconds. She brought some extra catfish but forgot the mac & cheese when she did come. She eventually did come back with mac & cheese for the kids, but by the time we saw her with the mac & cheese we were ready for dessert.

We weren't impressed with the service overall. But the food and character interaction was good. I know that service is hit-or-miss regardless of where you eat, but that was our experience at Garden Grill.

vandort
09-18-2007, 07:22 PM
We ate there at the end of August. We had the best service ever at WDW at this meal (and we've had a lot of meals at WDEn :). I forget our waiter's name although I remember that he was from Potsdam, NY. He truly went out of his way to ensure that we had a wonderful experience. He even went outside to check if it was still raining (it had been raining very hard), which was entirely unexpected. The food was also very good and characters were great. I would encourage anyone to eat at this restaurant.

Also, we were on the free dining plan for this meal.

KnJ
09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I gave it a GOOD. I love the atmoshpere and the uniqueness of the restaurant. The food has been good and the character interaction excellent and personal. It is not a must do for us every trip, but every other trip.

grimley1968
09-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm bumping this to get more.

So far, the response has made me want to go ahead and go back there this trip. It sounds like the service, although slow at times according to some on here, isn't with the server attitude we experienced our last couple of visits there. That was my biggest problem with it.

grimley1968
09-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Bump

mymainmouse
09-24-2007, 09:30 AM
We just ate at the Garden Grill on Sept. 16th. While it was not terrible it wasn't great either. The food was okay. The highlight was the potato casserole for my husband. It had a cheesy flavor kind of like Swiss Cheese and he loves Swiss Cheese. We had rolls, biscuits, mixed greens, turkey, flank steak, catfish, vegetables, and apple crisp for dessert. The kids had frost your own cupcakes. The server was nice and kept our drinks filled but the whole process seemed to take too much time. Our reservation was for 7:00 and we didn't leave until almost 9:00. We were not eating slowly either. There were also 6 of us and she never brought us out any extra food. I guess maybe you have to ask. We were also seated in a weird configuration with everyone facing out towards the front instead of across from each other which is better for talking to your family. The characters did come around alot but it didn't seem worth it to me. This was also our first meal at Disney so maybe that's why it seemed like we lost too much time. I wanted to go see things not sit waiting on a meal. :) I guess that was just how we felt about the whole thing. I don't think we will ever eat there again. We do have some friends who ate there in July and thought it was great. Maybe it is better when you have been at Epcot all day and are tired and need time to rest. We had just gotten to Epcot at 5 or 6 and had a lot of energy. Like I said the food was okay, the service -while nice- seemed slow, and the character interaction was good. Been there done that. :)

mom2aredhead
09-24-2007, 10:11 AM
The food was OK - We liked the salad flank steak potatoes, hated the turkey and dessert.

The characters were terrfic - came around a few times and spent a good amount of time with each visit.

My service was terrible - very slow and inattentive. I could have excused it if it was really busy, but that didn't appear to be the case.

I didn't care for the atmosphere of the restaurant - I know a lot of people like it, but we did not. We were sitting on the inner or upstairs ring, so the view of "the land" was mostly "the sky" - I also found it to be noisy - not people noisy, but chairs scraping, plates clanging background noisy.

So, we've BTDT, and for characters, we'll probably go back to Chef Mickey's instead.

thunderbug548
09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
We were there for lunch on Labor Day and while the characters were awesome and came around many, many times, the food was pretty bad. The kids didn't care for their meal although ds did eat some mac & chs. Dh's vegetarian pasta dish was terrible he said. The only thing I ate on my plate was the potatoes (asked for 2nds- they were yummy!!) and the veggies. Dh said he should have just ordered the potatoes for his entree, he really liked them. The catfish was bland. The mushroom gravy too sweet. I don't think we'll eat here again unless the menu changes or something.

thepeach80
09-24-2007, 11:00 AM
We just went 2 wks ago and overall it was good. There were 9 of us counting the kids and the service was great. We always had drinks and had out plates refilled once w/out asking. I thought the food was really good, but my pickier than picky DH would not agree. He did eat a little of the kids' chicken since they liked our food too. My almost 3yo LOVED the potato casserole, and I have to agree w/ him. It would not be someplace I think I would go again just b/c I felt bad DH didn't get to eat much.

themilesfamily
09-24-2007, 12:37 PM
We were there in 2005 for the character lunch and we really enjoyed it. :thumbsup2 I gave it an EXCELLENT.

1) Ask them to seat you on the lower level -- you'll have a much better view of The Land ride. This view really adds to the experience.

2) The character interaction was awesome. Chip & Dale were particularly good. They had my 1 year old laughing and laughing -- they gave her so much special attention.

3) The servers gave the kids crayons and something to color on while we waited for our meal -- kind of a nice thing for antsy kids. I remember this because my daughter proceeded to color on Farmer Mickey's nose when he was with her. Oops.

We were seated quickly and our meal was delicious -- the CM's were very sweet, too. I remember this meal as being very relaxing -- maybe because the restaurant wasn't busy when we were there. We went for an earlier lunch time that day and missed the crowds. Also, we were there in February, one of the less crowded times at Disney. If it was super-crowded I may have come away with a different feel for the place.

Tink2312
09-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Ate here last Dec. Food was great,particularly the dessert popcorn:: Character interaction was best we had, spent time taking photos and having a laugh. Loved the fact the restaurant revolved too.

grimley1968
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
We were there in 2005 for the character lunch and we really enjoyed it. :thumbsup2 I gave it an EXCELLENT.

1) Ask them to seat you on the lower level -- you'll have a much better view of The Land ride. This view really adds to the experience.

Lower level? Is this new? I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years, but I only remember the one level there.

loveDmouse
09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I voted EXCELLENT! It was great. Food & characters. We went last year and have an adr for this year. We had eaten there before a few years back too and it has always been good. Have fun!:thumbsup2

themilesfamily
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
There are two rings of seating. The lower level looks directly down on the Land ride and the scenery. The upper level looks down on the lower level and then the ride/scenery.

We actually sat in the upper level and it wasn't horrible, so don't freak out if that's where you end up sitting -- but the lower level is definitely preferable and the better seats.

One other pitfall about the upper level -- you may end up sitting right next to the kitchen entrance -- which we did and it was pretty noisy. (I don't know why we didn't ask to be reseated. We're not real pushy about things like that. I guess we just sit where we're told!) :)

Disneycrazymom
11-18-2007, 03:27 PM
I just booked Garden Grill lunch for the CP package. Has anyone done it yet? Will a 2:00 reservation be early enough to make the 5:00 CP show without rushing? Thanks!

toothdoc
11-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I have to explain why I voted satisfactory. I would actually give the food a poor and the character interaction excellent. We went in March '07 and I felt that the service was okay, but the food was over cooked, bland and just not that great. But the character interaction was 12 on a scale of 1 to 10.

The character interaction was so good that I agreed to schedule it again for our trip in March '08. I just get to eat what I want for dinner that night since that meal is for our daughter!

I concur. This used to be a go to restaurant and after bland, not exciting food in June '07 we may avoid on next trip. The best part is the characters and my sons love Chip and Dale. This may keep it on our list, but my wife and I discussed skipping next time. Hope this helps.

Feigned
11-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I ate at the Garden Grill in August and then again a few weeks ago at the end of October. I had excellent experiences both times.

August- I ate there with my sister (who has celiac) and my cousin. They are both 19 and I'm 22. We made sure to have fun with the characters and we loved the interaction. It was so much fun and it was a much better experience than we had at Chef Mickey's for breakfast, where we felt like the characters just snapped pictures and left. The characters all came around several times and had a lot of fun with us. They even made fun of the picture rotation that we had made up and pushed us along through the booth (one slid out, the one behind them took the picture, until everyone had their pic taken). The food was very good. There wasn't really anything that I didn't like!

October- I was there with my mom this time and the character interaction was still really good. My mom almost spilled her iced tea on Mickey, but he jumped away just in time. Every time after that, he and the other characters made fun of her when they came back. It was a lot of fun. We noticed that the food was a little different this time around and I still enjoyed it! I did like the dessert better in August though. Does their menu change seasonally?

The food:
August- yeast rolls and buttermilk biscuits with honey-orange blossom butter, salad with a vinaigrette-type dressing and these chip things on top (can't remember what they were but they were a little spicy and very good), cheesy potatoes, flank steak with mushroom cabernet au jus, rotisserie turkey with cranberry relish, fried catfish, homestyle potato casserole, veggies that included carrots, green beans, and mini squash, and for dessert- very berry puff pastry

October- buttermilk biscuits, rolls, and cornbread with the honey-orange blossom butter, salad with a ranch-type dressing and croutons, cheesy potatoes, flank steak with mushroom cabernet au jus, rotisserie turkey with cranberry relish, fried catfish, homestyle potato casserole, veggies that included carrots, green beans, and butternut squash, and for dessert- apple crisp with caramel topping

My mom said that this is now tied for her favorite restaurant. We have a reservation there for when we visit in January.

Disneycrazymom
12-07-2007, 08:00 AM
They are back from a wonderful trip!

They enjoyed Garden Grill very much. All 3 said the food was good and the Characters were GREAT! My parents enjoyed the meal and said everything was good. DD got a special cup cake for her birthday that she got to decorate. They said they made it just fine to the 6:00 show eating at 2. Even being there early enough to be in the first row! They highly recommend this option to see the CP. For just a few $$ more they got a character meal and no line for the show. A great option!:goodvibes

ksbean
12-07-2007, 06:44 PM
We ate there on Wednesday for the first time and found the food and character interaction to be great even for us "big" kids.

danielle782001
12-08-2007, 05:48 AM
:thumbsup2 We went went service was good (quick and nice), food was good (we liked the kids choices and the food was fresh), the character interaction was excellent!