PDA

View Full Version : San Angel Inn Avoid At All Costs

LittleLebowski
09-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Was just there this past weekend and arrived 15 minutes early for our 7:00 ADR on Friday. Was told it would be 20 minutes.....After 30 minutes they told me that there were 4 tables in front of us and then we would be sat. After an hour had passed when I went up to the host stand I heard him quote walk up traffic 20 minutes wait and watched them get sat. I politely asked for a manager and Joaquin came to speak to me.....this guy knew what had happened at the front and decides to turn his back on me in the middle of trying to figure out what to do. They have the mentality that there are 100 people waiting behind you that would love your seat! Enter Guillermo, the supposed head guy there....He was a complete buffoon, telling us 'What do you want me to do? I can have a table in 10 minutes", after we waited for 1.5 hours after our ADR at 7:00

I also found out that the restaurants are operated by third party vendors in t he world showcase at Epcot, which explains alot of this donkey named Guillermos attitude! We went to guest services and they listened to us and apologized, etc....but what is really going to happen?

fan_of_small_world
09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

San Angel Inn is one of our "don't miss" restaurants. We've always been seated within a few minutes of our ADR, the service was great, and we love the food.

TheDisneyGirl02
09-18-2007, 12:23 PM
If I were you, I'd contact Disney about what happened.

Sorry about your bad experience!

vanillarum
09-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Have to agree with you. We ate there in Aug, and while we "only" waited 15 minutes for our ADR, we found that the food was only fair, the seating is way too close together, and it is really dark. We were trying to read our menus by the candlelight ! Now, bring on that tequila bar !! :thumbsup2

solfan68
09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Another for the "good experience" column. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, and I'd certainly report it. That said...

When we went the first week of June '07, we were taken to our table within five minutes of check-in for our ADR. The meal was terrific. Our server was personable and attentive. Its almost a certainty that we visit San Angel on each family trip.

disneyfan55
09-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Hope we have a better time in keeping our 4:45 next Fri. We have the MNSSHP that night and would hate to be late.

Magic2000
09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Sorry about your bad experience at San Angel.

We used to go to San Angel once each trip, but stopped for a few years due to bad reviews. This summer, my DD asked about eating there and we made an ADR. Even though it was a week of July 4th and they were busy, we were seated a few minutes early for our ADR; food and service were both really good. We'd definitely go back!

tofubeast
09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
That is simply uncalled for. I am not sure what you can do at this point, especially since you talked to the managers...but that would put hot steam coming out of my ears!

Lewisc
09-18-2007, 02:19 PM
The blame can be shared with guests who make ADRs and don't show and don't cancel. Unfortunately that leads to overbooking and sometimes the restaurant guesses wrong.

You really can't count the 15 minutes you got to the restaurant early. It sounds like you had to wait a little over an hour. A lot of local restaurants have waits that long, even if a customer has a reservation.

I agree the restaurant could have handled it better but it's not easy for a restaurant to eject a guest who stays longer then anticipated. You didn't say how many guests were in your party. Some restaurants don't have very many smaller tables (for two) or larger tables (for six or more).

N2THRILLRIDES
09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at San Angel. All the times we have eaten here we have NEVER had problems with this eatery. I hope you contact Disney by letter letting them know what happened and how your issue was resolved

ransom
09-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Wow...what a terrible experience. I'd definitely tell Disney!

Oh, and as far as the wait...I have a policy of never waiting more than a few minutes to give someone my money. If they want my money, they'd better not make me wait. ;)

LittleLebowski
09-18-2007, 03:33 PM
The blame can be shared with guests who make ADRs and don't show and don't cancel. Unfortunately that leads to overbooking and sometimes the restaurant guesses wrong.

You really can't count the 15 minutes you got to the restaurant early. It sounds like you had to wait a little over an hour. A lot of local restaurants have waits that long, even if a customer has a reservation.

I agree the restaurant could have handled it better but it's not easy for a restaurant to eject a guest who stays longer then anticipated. You didn't say how many guests were in your party. Some restaurants don't have very many smaller tables (for two) or larger tables (for six or more).

:headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache:

I think most people that make reservations, expect them to be upheld to say 30 minutes of the reservation or they evaluate if they should go back to that restaurant, because come on, what is the point of the reservation:confused3

While I understand your first sentence, I am quite baffled by the rest of your post. Can you explain to me how in the span of an hour 2 tables did not open up to accomodate our party of 7, when we checked in we made sure that he knew it is not neccessary to sit together. I think you are fishing in deep water with a small bait if you think I wanted a guest ejected from their dinner.

poeticdiabetic
09-18-2007, 03:47 PM
That is sad. Back in May, we had ADRs at San Angel Inn, and it took a while to get seated, as well. But it was crowded, so crowded that they were turning walk-up traffic way.

One of my DSs loved Mexican Food and one doesn't. My DW loves Mexican food and I think it's just OK. Well, both my DS that doesn't like Mexican food and I had a great time and liked our food and the "Mexican Food Lovers" didn't like it as much.

I had the steak. It was good, but I did laugh at the Veg-All veggies that they put on my plate. It is VEG-ALL!!!!:lmao:

My other son, who doesn't like Mexican, simply tore up the fish! But the other two didn't finish their meal and left.

disneyfan55
09-18-2007, 03:52 PM
That is sad. Back in May, we had ADRs at San Angel Inn, and it took a while to get seated, as well. But it was crowded, so crowded that they were turning walk-up traffic way.

One of my DSs loved Mexican Food and one doesn't. My DW loves Mexican food and I think it's just OK. Well, both my DS that doesn't like Mexican food and I had a great time and liked our food and the "Mexican Food Lovers" didn't like it as much.

I had the steak. It was good, but I did laugh at the Veg-All veggies that they put on my plate. It is VEG-ALL!!!!:lmao:

My other son, who doesn't like Mexican, simply tore up the fish! But the other two didn't finish their meal and left.

Veg All as in those canned veggies?

StrollPatrolMom
09-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Greeeat. I'm going next week...with free dining there's no way I'm getting in somewhere else...if it stinks, just bring on the margaritas!

disneyfan55
09-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Greeeat. I'm going next week...with free dining there's no way I'm getting in somewhere else...if it stinks, just bring on the margaritas!

Same here. The only thing is that we have ours for Fri and we're going to MNSSHP. The reservation is early 4:45, so I hope we will be in some of the first groups for dinner. I guess we will just all have to make the best of it!!

Lewisc
09-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Some popular restaurants don't have a problem telling customers, with reservations, to wait in the bar. I agree customers that don't like that have to make an early reservation, wait or find another restaurant.

You said people were seated who arrived after you? It sounds like the restaurant, despite your request, was waiting for a table large enough to accomodate your entire family.

I'll agree you weren't treated properly but I'll repeat my original point. Blame has to be shared with the guests who don't show and don't cancel.

:headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache:

I think most people that make reservations, expect them to be upheld to say 30 minutes of the reservation or they evaluate if they should go back to that restaurant, because come on, what is the point of the reservation:confused3

While I understand your first sentence, I am quite baffled by the rest of your post. Can you explain to me how in the span of an hour 2 tables did not open up to accomodate our party of 7, when we checked in we made sure that he knew it is not neccessary to sit together. I think you are fishing in deep water with a small bait if you think I wanted a guest ejected from their dinner.

Huff
09-18-2007, 08:14 PM
We just got back from 9 nights of DDP dinners including San Angel. We were seated promptly at all 9 restaurants within 15 minutes of our ADR times or arrival.

We ate at San Angle last Sat. night. We had an 8:30 ADR but arrived at 7:30 and were seated at 7:45. I had the filet which was excellent as was everything else. I am an authentic Mexican food lover and San Angels food is great. Those that think Mexican food is tacos, burritos and chimichangas probably will not like San Angel. This was our 3rd time at San Angel. Perfect every time.

disneyfan55
09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
We just got back from 9 nights of DDP dinners including San Angel. We were seated promptly at all 9 restaurants within 15 minutes of our ADR times or arrival.

We ate at San Angle last Sat. night. We had an 8:30 ADR but arrived at 7:30 and were seated at 7:45. I had the filet which was excellent as was everything else. I am an authentic Mexican food lover and San Angels food is great. Those that think Mexican food is tacos, burritos and chimichangas probably will not like San Angel. This was our 3rd time at San Angel. Perfect every time.

I am very glad to hear that. We have a reservation there for our last night too. It's rather early since we are going to MNSSHP afterwards. We have never eaten there and we were looking forward to it, but there were so many negative reviews. Glad you enjoyed your dinner and hope we have as a great time as you did. Thanks!!

Rustysmom
09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm really sorry that they treated you that way! I also think you should write to Disney and let them know what's going on.

We ate there a few weeks ago and were immediately seated. We had 5:40 ADRs so I don't know if the earlier time had anything to do with it. We really enjoyed it, except for the little pile of veggies that I also got and didn't eat.

Huff
09-18-2007, 09:57 PM
I am very glad to hear that. We have a reservation there for our last night too. It's rather early since we are going to MNSSHP afterwards. We have never eaten there and we were looking forward to it, but there were so many negative reviews. Glad you enjoyed your dinner and hope we have as a great time as you did. Thanks!!

Go 30-45 minutes prior to your ADR. If the estimated wait is awhile then go on the boat ride. There was no line for the ride and when we got off our table was ready.

We went to MNSSHP last Friday. It rained off and on from 7pm till about 10pm. The fireworks and parade were delayed but were worth the wait. We had a great time although our shoes were soaked. As we exited we were given a note that stated because of the rain we could get a ticket for 1 days admission to the park good for up to a year. Won't do us much good as we aren't local and won't travel to FL just for a day!

We had dinner at Kona at the Polynesian prior to MNSSHP as it is a short monorail or boat ride to MK. You'll have to take 2 monorails from EPCOT but should be quick.

aubriee
09-19-2007, 01:07 AM
We've eaten at San Angel Inn on three seperate occasions and had bad service and bad food all three times.

The first time I ate there (Jan '05) was with my elder son and GD. None of us ate more than a bite or two and finally my then 8 y/o GD asked if we could leave and go somewhere else to eat. When we finally found someone to go find our waiter who had been absent since bringing our food, he didn't even ask why our plates were vitually untouched. He just handed us the bill.

Sept '05 my younger son and D-I-L couldn't believe it could be that bad and wanted to try it. We were on the DDP, but no way was I going to waste a credit on a meal I knew I wouldn't eat. I asked to order the fundido and use my DDE card to pay for my meal. I was told I couldn't use my DDE card because my son and D-I-L were using their DDP and two discounts could not be used at one table. We had been using both all week with no problem, A manager was called and she also refused to let me use my DDE card for my meal. I said fine, then my D-I-L and I will share a TS then. Again the food was inedible and we left our food almost untouched. Again when we asked for our ticket the waiter didn't even ask why we didn't eat more than a bite or two.

Last Sept my mom wanted to try it despite both my sons telling her how bad it was. We decided to try if for lunch to see if it was any better. NOPE!! My mom is a very brittle diabetic and without thinking ordered something that had mole in it. I immediately let her know that mole had chocolate in it and she couldn't have it. The waitress corrected me and said their mole was not sweetened and would be fine for a diabetic. Huh? I'm from Texas and know Mexican food--mole is sweet. The waitress assured us again that theirs was not. Sure enough, my mom took one bite and almost choked, it was so sweet. We waved the waitress over and her only response as she started to walk away was "Oh, sorry. I must have been wrong". No duh, we asked for something else and was told she would have to use another TS credit. We asked for a manager, explained what had happened and was asked "If you knew it was sweet, why did you order it". Maybe, because your waitress assured us it wasn't sweet. He rolled his eye and just walked away. We again left without eating.

No way would I enter that place again. We knew going in that it wasn't TexMex, but here in east Texas we enjoy authentic Mexican food as well as TexMex and the food we had all three times was just not prepared well. All three times it was either cold or barely lukewarm and twice the black beans had a scorched taste. Chips looked like they came out of a bag and the hot sauce out of a jar.

aubriee
09-19-2007, 01:07 AM
oops! Double post!

poeticdiabetic
09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Veg All as in those canned veggies?

Yep!

Exactly. It was hilarious! I didn't eat them, but everything else was pretty good.

LittleLebowski
09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I have to agree that this is not Tex Mex

TruBlu
09-19-2007, 07:54 AM
We loved the food here, but the service was the slowest of our trip. Our server was never around when we needed him. BUT, the food was some of the best on our trip. We will definitely return!

disneyfan55
09-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Go 30-45 minutes prior to your ADR. If the estimated wait is awhile then go on the boat ride. There was no line for the ride and when we got off our table was ready.

We went to MNSSHP last Friday. It rained off and on from 7pm till about 10pm. The fireworks and parade were delayed but were worth the wait. We had a great time although our shoes were soaked. As we exited we were given a note that stated because of the rain we could get a ticket for 1 days admission to the park good for up to a year. Won't do us much good as we aren't local and won't travel to FL just for a day!

We had dinner at Kona at the Polynesian prior to MNSSHP as it is a short monorail or boat ride to MK. You'll have to take 2 monorails from EPCOT but should be quick.

Thanks for your advice and glad you had a nice time at MNSSHP dispite the rain. I had heard on these boards that some received cash back for the ticket just for that reason. You might wan to check that out. It's worth a try if you won't be going back. Too bad the 1 year timeframe. We wanted to eat at Ohanas that night but no luck. Hopefully San Angel will take us when our reservation is and we will have plenty of time to get back to MK. Thanks again!!

DISNEY FIX
09-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Holy Hit or Miss, from the reviews I read.
Can some one reccomend something from the menue for us not inthe know about 'real' Mexican food?
Thanks,
Chris

Disney-Bride2005
09-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Its weird...I have never had to wait with an ADR.

I have heard that people on the Dining plan get treated differently.

I have never been on the dining plan. Does anyone else think it makes a difference??? :confused3

disneyfan55
09-19-2007, 09:11 AM

I have never been on the dining plan. Does anyone else think it makes a difference??? :confused3

I'd like to know that, too, especially the Free DDP. When making my reservations, they asked, so maybe it shows on the reservation lists the restaurants receive.

kaytieeldr
09-19-2007, 09:30 AM
No, it doesn't show. They ask you during the reservation process so they can tell you how many table service credits you need for the meal, per person. Period.

abolanwoski
09-19-2007, 10:57 AM
It sounds to me like they forgot about OP and their party. If they had just been contrite and apologetic, and mabye comped a drink or desert, people would walk away without such a bad taste in their mouth. Mistakes happen, it's how your treated afterward that matters.

fan_of_small_world
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM

We were on the DDP and felt our treatment was no different based on that. In fact, we found most of the servers to be very nice everywhere (except for one at Ohana, but he was the exception to the rule).

fan_of_small_world
09-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Also, on the Tex-Mex versus authentic question, San Angel is in the style of authentic Mexican cooking.

We recommended SAI to friends of ours, and they didn't care for it. They admitted, though, that their idea of Mexican food is Taco Bell. Guess that explains it! :rotfl:

LittleLebowski
09-19-2007, 04:03 PM
This was a great opportunity for them to win back a customer, with a small gesture such as a dessert or drink, but they both wanted nothing of the such. Literally the 2 managers were so rude that they would not talk to us and wew had to follow them to hear what they said. Very poor judgement and they obviously had $$$$ in their eyes for the line that was forming at the host stand. One quote I remember vividly was, "we are in priority seating now because they closed the Japanese restaurant" I responded, that DD called us and we moved our reservation here, he walked off again!

GinnyFavers
09-19-2007, 04:09 PM
It stinks when someone doesn't take the time to make you feel special and cared for, in that kind of situation. They have a service job, they are supposed to be offering service.

That said, I enjoy the heck out of eating lunch at San Angel Inn for the first seating of the day. It's at 11:30 a.m., there's nobody in there, and we always get a table by the water. I like the lunch menu better and it's cheaper.

SereneOne
09-19-2007, 05:32 PM
I am a diabetic and I had the mole poblano and it was delicious. My h had one of the combination platters. We went last Dec for the first time and found it to be romantic. We where walk ups and where sat within an hour I would say. We shopped while we waited.

I am very sorry for your bad experience. I hope Disney makes some sort of guesture for the ugliness you experienced.

MissionMouse
09-19-2007, 05:50 PM
... One quote I remember vividly was, "we are in priority seating now because they closed the Japanese restaurant" I responded, that DD called us and we moved our reservation here, he walked off again!This might be the heart of the problem. This change may not have been coordinated-scheduled well by Disney with the restaurants. Over the years we never had bad service at San Angel Inn and never waited more than 10-15 minutes. It sounds like Disney overloaded restaurants and left restaurant management to deal with it...stress can create odd behaviors.

taxqueen
09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
;) I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I was there the same friday night for dinner at 8:00. We were seated in 5 minutes and loved the service and the dinner. I would definitely go back again :thumbsup2

islandbeachnut
09-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Sorry you had a negative experience at San Angel Inn. :hug:

It is a Must-Do restaurant for us each visit & have always had wonderful service and great food. We'll be there again in less than 3 weeks. :cloud9:

RACHELSMOM1
09-19-2007, 08:03 PM

I don't know how you can blame this on people who made ADRs and didn't show up !!!! :confused3

TandT
09-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Sorry you had such a bad experience at San Angel Inn. I think that happens one time or another at any restaurant. We were just there last week and we had a very good experience. We've read some negative reviews about the food. But it's NOT Tex-Mex it's authentic Mexican food which tends to be very different from what most people think Mexican food should taste like.
Also we had a HORRIBLE experience at the WCC and most people love that place. So I guess some times it's just a crapshoot. :confused:

Tikitoi
09-20-2007, 07:08 AM

Glad to see this. Since we will be there in a upcoming trip. Sorry OP did not have a good experience. popcorn::

kribit
09-20-2007, 07:47 AM
We loved it both times we ate there.

mickeymousemom
09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't know how you can blame this on people who made ADRs and didn't show up !!!! :confused3

I think what he is saying is that because there's a history of guests making ADR's and not showing up, the restaurants overbook, believing there will be people who don't show. This causes backups everywhere, and I think is the reason we have to wait eons after our ADR time when we do dinner at LeCellier.
I agree with part of Lewis's post, in that regard. I always cancel ADR's when we change our minds, and you have to think that out of thousands of people everyday at WDW, there are tons of guests who are basically just no-shows. This ends up being like a domino effect, and in the end its the ones who keep the ADR's who get screwed.
Another point here is that, from what I have always understood, "ADR's" are not reservations in the true sense of the word. They are more like call ahead seating. With an ADR, I do expect to wait, but don't think I should have to for more than 20-30 minutes. The fact that the OP waited for over an hour is ridiculous...and again, I think it was a mixture of overbooking, and his 7 member party(and it does seem as no one passed the word along that his party could be separated)....oh...and we can't forget that it's Free Dining:scared: .

As for my own opinion of San Angel Inn, we were there 2 years ago, and haven't been back since. We arrived on time for our ADR and, after having been told by the hostess that we would be seated in about 20 minutes, it was twice that at least before we were and this was only after I went up to the hostess station twice. While we waited, we roamed around the marketplace(Mexico isn't a pavilion we normally spend alot of time in) and laughed at the fact that there were actually big baskets of TOSTITOS chips for sale. Holy crap.:sad2: .
When we were finally seated and given our basket of chips and the salsa, we noticed the chips were nothing more than the same ROUND TOSTITOS we had just seen for sale a few minutes before. Holy crap again. Where, exactly, is the authenticity here?? We have three authentic, locally owned Mexican restaurants within 20 minutes of us. We can also go to Don Pablo's and get HANDMADE tortillas. Can anyone explain why this isn't the case in Epcot. The tables were on top of each other and the food couldn't compare to any I can get here....chain or not. The server had absolutely no clue about how to utilize the DP, and I found myself having to explain several things to him. His English was terrible. He couldn't understand simple things...and he was our SERVER!
I never complain about the food in WDW, and we have RARELY had bad service in any TS eatery, but this place was not a fun place to be and it will take a few more years before we give it another chance.

kaytieeldr
09-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Sure. Have you been in a kitchen at Walt Disney World? It’s sized and equipped to store, prepare, and serve the menu items. Have you been to California Adventure? There’s a place there where you can watch them make tortillas from scratch (and get a sample at the end of the tour). While I’m sure the equipment could be compacted to a degree, it simply doesn’t make sense to devote that much (read: any additional) kitchen space to specialized equipment for ONE appetizer.

We have three authentic, locally owned Mexican restaurants within 20 minutes of us. We can also go to Don Pablo's and get HANDMADE tortillas. Can anyone explain why this isn't the case in Epcot.

mickeymousemom
09-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Sure. Have you been in a kitchen at Walt Disney World? It’s sized and equipped to store, prepare, and serve the menu items. Have you been to California Adventure? There’s a place there where you can watch them make tortillas from scratch (and get a sample at the end of the tour). While I’m sure the equipment could be compacted to a degree, it simply doesn’t make sense to devote that much (read: any additional) kitchen space to specialized equipment for ONE appetizer.

This has nothing to do with ONE appetizer. This has to do with authenticity and ANYTHING served with a tortilla(handmade flour tortillas are like the official "bread" of Mexico). It's not a huge deal to me, but I find it rather silly that they sell bags of TOSTITOS in the market place, then basically warm them up and throw them in a basket(and these are CORN, not flour). Holy cow. At least give me something that LOOKS authentic.
I am also talking about two different things here. How much extra room can it take to throw together some flour, water and lard and pat out some flour tortillas. And actually, that doesn't even matter as much....it's the authenticity thing as a whole. I just don't see it here, yet we are supposed to be visiting a pavilion that gives us a true feel and taste of that specific country. Mexico, IMO, is the worst of all the pavilions(and WS is my favorite place in my favorite park at WDW).
All in all, I don't necessarily EXPECT handmade tortillas...just more authenticity. Round Tostitos just don't do it for me. Mexico in Epcot should at least give me the authenticity that a family owned local business does...and it doesn't. And to throw in another negative...other than to take a break...El Rio Del Tiempo stinks(with or without without the rehab):)

kaytieeldr
09-20-2007, 09:25 AM
This has nothing to do with ONE appetizer. This has to do with authenticity and ANYTHING served with a tortilla(handmade flour tortillas are like the official "bread" of Mexico). It's not a huge deal to me, Again, it seems wasteful to devote any kitchen/floor space to special machinery to replicate a SINGLE appetizer. There's nothing on the dinner menu that lists tortillas as an ingredient; while there are some lunch items that do, it would seem that San Angel Inn gets their tortillas from an outside source, and that management feels it would not be cost-effective to make nachos from them. Basing an opinion on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of a restaurant's entire menu based on ONE appetizer seems, well, I don't know... if Round Tostitos don't appeal to a Guest, then that Guest might best enjoy an entirely different appetizer.

kaytieeldr
09-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Last Sept my mom wanted to try it despite both my sons telling her how bad it was. We decided to try if for lunch to see if it was any better. NOPE!! My mom is a very brittle diabetic and without thinking ordered something that had mole in it. I immediately let her know that mole had chocolate in it and she couldn't have it. The waitress corrected me and said their mole was not sweetened and would be fine for a diabetic. Huh? I'm from Texas and know Mexican food--mole is sweet. The waitress assured us again that theirs was not. Sure enough, my mom took one bite and almost choked, it was so sweet. We waved the waitress over and her only response as she started to walk away was "Oh, sorry. I must have been wrong". Okay, every recipe I could find for mole poblano required UNsweetened chocolate – one also had plantains, a couple of others had raisins and cinnamon… I think that’s where the sweetness came from. Unsweetened chocolate in an ingredient in a number of diabetic recipes (some really good-sounding ones – see Google ;))

rotlex
09-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Sorry things didn't go well for you. I would definitely write to Disney about the experience, BUT, I must admit, dining in Mexico is one of our "don't miss" dinners. We have always had fantastic service, love the atmosphere, and the food is always outstanding!

I guess every place can have a bad night though!

mickeymousemom
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Again, it seems wasteful to devote any kitchen/floor space to special machinery to replicate a SINGLE appetizer. There's nothing on the dinner menu that lists tortillas as an ingredient; while there are some lunch items that do, it would seem that San Angel Inn gets their tortillas from an outside source, and that management feels it would not be cost-effective to make nachos from them. Basing an opinion on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of a restaurant's entire menu based on ONE appetizer seems, well, I don't know... if Round Tostitos don't appeal to a Guest, then that Guest might best enjoy an entirely different appetizer.

Okay. I guess I have been bad at getting my point across. First let me say(only with more meaning this time), that my ONE appetizer is made from CORN tortillas, not flour(which has to do with the HANDMADE remark I made). Repeating the "one appetizer" thing has nothing to do with my handmade flour tortilla remark. Handmade tortillas aren't a huge deal here, I was only wondering.
To drive my point home about the "authenticity" thing..well...here goes: Selling and serving ROUND AMERICAN made chips is truly a joke. If authenticity doesn't matter, then why does WDW go to the trouble to bring over employees native to that country to work in the pavilions? Why do they find it so important to make each pavilion LOOK as though you are in a miniature of said country?? Why can you go into Mitsokushi dept store in Japan and feel as though you are in a small scale version of a Japanese dept store?? (As an example)
All in all, I wasn't trying to make a HUGE deal out of tortillas. Our service there was crappy, the food was mediocre, and we won't go back for awhile. I love WDW. I rarely ever complain(and rarely is even saying too much) about anything at WDW. WS is somewhere we spend alot of time in, and I sincerely question the authenticity of a pavilion that once again, sells american made FRITO LAY chips in a Mexican "marketplace", along with authentic handmade merchandise. If Don Pablo's served these...fine. My whole family just found it funny(and yes..funny...we weren't upset at all) that we could buy a bag of Tostitos in Mexico.
I have no doubt we'll go back eventually, as we all love Mexican food and most everything we've ever eaten at WDW. With that said, I hadn't even thought about the non "authenticity" of the place until I was typing my own story. I just think this pavilion needs a little work....and make my chips a different shape, please...OH...and don't forget the PACE picante sauce...;)

LittleLebowski
09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
...and don't forget the PACE picante sauce...;)

Well said!:love: Not thick and Chunky though, only original!

CheshireVal
09-21-2007, 11:13 AM
For us, the food and service have always pretty bad at San Angel. The atmosphere makes it worthwhile once every couple of years, but the tables are indeed uncomfortably close to together.

maraki527
09-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Sorry you did not have a good experience. My Dh and I happened to enjoy the rest. very much. The only thing was that it was verrry dark in there.

stitchypoo
09-21-2007, 08:14 PM
My mom is a very brittle diabetic and without thinking ordered something that had mole in it. I immediately let her know that mole had chocolate in it and she couldn't have it. The waitress corrected me and said their mole was not sweetened and would be fine for a diabetic. Huh? I'm from Texas and know Mexican food--mole is sweet. The waitress assured us again that theirs was not. Sure enough, my mom took one bite and almost choked, it was so sweet.

HUH!?!?! Sweet mole?!?! :eek: I'm Mexican and have never had sweet mole. I've tried multiple varieties from my abuelitas, to multiple visits to Monterrey, Guadalajara, Mexico City and Oaxaca and it's alwasy been very savory or spicy, never sweet. Even though the most well known mole is made from a dark chocolate, I've never had one where the cook sweetened the chocolate. I can't even imagine a sweet mole!!!

SereneOne
09-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Don Pablo is the worst garbage I have ever eaten in my life...I would eat animal food before I would eat there ever again...disgusting whether the tortilla shells are handmade or not.

I like San Angel Inn, I do agree that the Tostitos are silly. I love the Rio De Tempo...it is hokey, but I love it.:love:

byoung
09-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Had a great meal there could not see what I was eating, but it was great.

byoung
09-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Had a great meal there could not see what I was eating, but it was great.

Rustysmom
09-21-2007, 10:21 PM
I love the Rio De Tempo...it is hokey, but I love it.:love:

You know they changed it now, right? I forget the name but it has the Three Caballeros in it. I thought it was kind of dumb, but the kids liked it.

tasha99
09-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Count me in as one who thinks the idea of Tostitos at any restaurant is just ridiculous. I think the atmosphere is wonderful, but the food is pretty mediocre (and I do like Mexican foods from many regions, not just Tex Mex).

SereneOne
09-22-2007, 12:44 AM
You know they changed it now, right? I forget the name but it has the Three Caballeros in it. I thought it was kind of dumb, but the kids liked it.

sigh...:sad1: ...yes. I liked it better before from when I was a little kid...