PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding moms and airplanes

kpm76
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Have any moms who bf had any issues (i.e. not being allowed to bf) while on a flight? We are traveling in November to WDW and I was curious to hear about other experiences. DD's pedi suggested nursing during take off and landing to help her ears. Typically when DD is cranky and I need to calm her nursing works like a charm so if I encounter any issues with bf on the plane, I will be up the proverbial creek. Thanks for the help. We are flying SWA in case that makes a difference.

LadyShea
09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I know BF moms who have traveled the world with no problems on any airline, however you may want take a light weight scarf that you can throw over you and the baby just in case some other passenger wants to make a stink or something.

deejohn
09-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I was on a business trip to Tampa in Feb and the flight was delayed 2 hours. The woman next to me asked if "I would mind?" I had no problem with her request, but did appreciate her letting me know what was going on, so I could in return be respectful for her.

She was very discreat about it and no one on the plane had any problems.

FatElvis
09-11-2007, 01:23 PM
No problems whatsoever - I've nursed on flights many times. We've done 2 trips on SW since having our third, so my husband sits with the 2 big girls behind me & I sit with baby. Each of those times I ended up sitting next to someone (carseat was in the window seat, me in the middle, stranger on the aisle) I just made a point of nursing on the side away from the stranger - wouldn't you know, all 4 of those times it was a man! No problems though, I just kind of turned away to get her latched on.

Anyway, most flight attendants even suggest to give the baby a bottle or to nurse on takeoff/landing, so I doubt they'll give you any grief.

We visited WDW in March when baby was 3 months. She was great about 95% of the time, but WATCH OUT on that other 5% - wow, she had some meltdowns, way out of character for her. Of course one came as we were waiting in line to board the flight. I jiggled and shushed and tried to use a pacifier, but no go. Finally I just faced the wall and fed her. We preboarded, and NO ONE wanted to sit by us - LOL! Finally some guy with an ipod was brave and sat down. She nursed and slept and didn't make a peep the whole flight!

Have a ball! It's so easy to travel with a nursing baby. Well, except for the 50 pounds of assorted stuff babies require, but otherwise it's a breeze! :thumbsup2

PrincessasMommy
09-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I have breastfed on many flights and never have had a problem.

I do bring my sling on board and nurse in that so it is discreet, but I have never asked "Do you mind?" I know pp thought that was very polite but what if someone says "Yes I do mind" ......then what would you do?

I figure they don't ask me permission to eat, kwim?

Have fun!

NotUrsula
09-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Both RI and FL protect the right to NIP, but you might want to carry a copy of the state law for peace of mind: http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm

I've found that wearing real nursing tops whilst travelling is helpful; it's easier to be discreet in those cramped airline seats if you can minimize how much you need to disarrange your clothing.

Nom
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I never had a problem either- when dd was a lap baby (and here's hoping that those words don't start that grand debate again!). WHen I bought dd her own seat (for the first time when she was 11 mo), the flight attendants prefered for her to be in her seat at take off.

How old will your dc be when you fly? Are you buying her own seat? If she is young enough to still be allowed to be a lap baby (I think the cut off is 2 yrs), you should be allowed to take her out of her seat to nurse at take off. My dd always looked older, so I think that was why they wanted her to stay in her seat, when she had one.

But other than that, I never had a problem. I feel like being in a row of seats, you automatically have some privacy (if you're not on the aisle), so it makes things easier.

Nom
09-11-2007, 01:48 PM
sorry to serial post, but on dd's first flight (at about 7 mo), she was so excited about the loud sound of the engines that she would not nurse at takeoff- she was too busy looking all around. So be prepared for that as well- I had brought some biter bisquits that I gave to her to promote swallowing to clear her ears, since she just wanted to look all around at takeoff.

Also, at that flight she slept through landing. At the time I was neurotic and thinking she should be swallowing (first time mom typical fears), but she was fine- so don't freak out if she is asleep at landing- just enjoy a magazine and the peace and quiet!

kpm76
09-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I never had a problem either- when dd was a lap baby (and here's hoping that those words don't start that grand debate again!). WHen I bought dd her own seat (for the first time when she was 11 mo), the flight attendants prefered for her to be in her seat at take off.

How old will your dc be when you fly? Are you buying her own seat? If she is young enough to still be allowed to be a lap baby (I think the cut off is 2 yrs), you should be allowed to take her out of her seat to nurse at take off. My dd always looked older, so I think that was why they wanted her to stay in her seat, when she had one.

But other than that, I never had a problem. I feel like being in a row of seats, you automatically have some privacy (if you're not on the aisle), so it makes things easier.

DD will be a lap child on this flight :scared1: LOL. Her pedi suggested it actually. I asked him and told him obviously safety was top priority and we would gladly pay for a seat and he said save your $$$, she'll wind up on your lap anyway. DD will be 5.5 months when we fly.

Thanks everyone for your help :) I knew there were public breastfeeding laws in RI but I was not sure if that covered flying as well since technically we will not be in RI once we're in the air. I've read some stories about other women being told to cover up, stop feeding etc so I wanted to prepare myself. I will probably take a bottle of pumped milk but DD HATES the bottle right now so I need to be able to bf if that is still the case in November.

dunbarfamily
09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I've never used southwest, but I have had flights on other airlines. I always nurse the baby (or toddler, as was the case when dd was 16 mths), I don't ask permission, and I don't care if people know what I'm doing or not. I almost always wear nursing shirts but only to keep those extra pregnancy souvinear pounds covered.

Happy nursing!!

:thumbsup2

moparop
09-11-2007, 02:43 PM
I've nursed on many a flight and never had a problem. I generally don't use a blanket to cover up but make sure I have on a nursing bra and sometimes a nursing top just to be more discreet.

KristiKelly
09-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I breastfed DD on SWA in 2005 & 2006. I had no problems whatsoever. I purchased a nursing cover from Target for $6-7. I used it the entire trip. Not only did I nurse her on the flight but on just about every slow ride, show, bus, boat & monorail in WDW. DH would just ask the CM for the back row on rides and we were fine. Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!

debbiet1
09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
when our kids were young and I was nursing we took many flights and all of them were fine with it. I'd just suggest *which you probably do anyways* bring a receiving blanket for her. Once we were flying and they separated DH and DD from us and well he had the baby blanket at the front of the plane and I was in the middle. I asked the gentleman beside me if he'd mind if I nursed on take off and landing and he said no not at all then while trying to get dh's attention with no luck for the blanket he took off his jacket and covered the baby. Most of the time you'll find people dont mind at all. We've been on NWA,Delta,Air Canada, Air Transat and Canadian Air and never had probs once.

My2Cinderellas
09-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I traveled with my girls when the youngest was 6 months. If your child will take a bottle, then you can leave them in the carseat and hold the bottle. This worked for my oldest but not the little one. She would not take a bottle in any way shape or form so was nursing exclusively.

I bought a seat for her and she stayed in it during take off/landing. my rule is that when the flight attendants are seated and strapped in, so was she. As soon as the attendants started moving around, I took her out of her carseat and nursed her. I was wearing a twinset, just lifted the under sweater and had the cardigan for modesty. I never used a blanket or cover up so this was about discreet as I got.

I got lucky and she slept through the landings. I then nursed again in the airport during the layover, or while waiting for luggage.

as to being hassled, it never happened to me in public. just by family at functions in someone's home. :(
during a layover in STL, I found an empty gate and let my toddler run around while I was nursing the baby. I was approached by a woman who handed me a card thanking me for nursing in public and setting an example for others. I found it odd, but appreciated the support.

best of luck to you, have a great trip!

Princess Roo
09-11-2007, 07:43 PM
I nursed a bunch of times, too, just using a blanket. I always requested the window seat so that I could turn toward it to get latched on. Most flights DH was next to me, but sometimes I was alone. The only time I told the people next to me that I was going to was when a mom sat down with her elementary-aged son and put the son in the middle seat. I figured it was polite to let her know that I would be nursing in case she preferred to put him on the other side of her.

FWIW, if you have purchased a seat for the child the FAs can *require* you to leave the child in the seat when the seatbelt sign is on. (The rules are a little unclear if you have an "open" seat that you are using the carseat in.) With lap children this is not an issue. I'm not saying this to re-start the debate...It's just something I didn't know when we first started flying with DS. He wouldn't take a paci and I wouldn't have known to bring a bottle as backup if I hadn't been able to nurse.

tanyaandallie
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I have flown many times with both of my children and nursed them both. NEVER had a problem. I am not really into covering up with a blanket normally (I don't think a blanket is all that discreet), but when nursing on the plane, sometimes I do. Very close quarters I usually sit in the isle b/c I think it's easier b/c I have more room.

I think for the most part, people have no idea what you are doing and they honestly could not care less!!! They would prefer to see a little **** than listen to your baby scream the entire flight!!

grlpwrd
09-12-2007, 02:11 AM
FWIW, if you have purchased a seat for the child the FAs can *require* you to leave the child in the seat when the seatbelt sign is on. (The rules are a little unclear if you have an "open" seat that you are using the carseat in.) With lap children this is not an issue. I'm not saying this to re-start the debate...It's just something I didn't know when we first started flying with DS. He wouldn't take a paci and I wouldn't have known to bring a bottle as backup if I hadn't been able to nurse.

I have had that experience. I never had a problem with my older kids when they were little, but when my now 2yo was an infant I had one flight attendant tell me that I had to place her in her carseat because she was a ticketed passenger and that was FAA regulation. Yes, they can enforce it.

I have always bought seats for my kids when they were little so I knew it... as I used to work for 2 different airlines.

Since your little one is a lap child then I don't think that will be an issue for you. (You didn't ask about safety concerns so I won't "go there." ;) )

You may want to sit by the window and your dh next to you for more privacy. I used a blanket, too, which helps. I also made sure to turn the overhead light off.

GL!

PrincessasMommy
09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Just an afterthought.....

As a Mom of 4 I find alot of baby items useless but this is one item I bought for baby #4 and I LOVE IT!!! :love:

It won't fall off even if baby kicks and squirms, I can latch her with my entire breast out if I need and no one can see and they come in very stylish patterns. I bought a knock-off on eBay cheaper, but here is the original site of the hooter hider......the plastic boning in the top and adjustable neck strap are worth thr money if you are planning on breastfeeding for awhile.
http://www.bebeaulait.com/

pednurse
09-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Just a personal thought on safety.....I would encourage you to have your child buckled into a FAA-approved safety seat, especially during take-off and landing. You can use a pacifier or some such for her to use to suck on to help with the ears. As for nursing during the flight...I never had a problem. With the carseat in window seat, I had the middle seat. I just put a blanket tucked in between my seat & the aisle seat on one end, and between the 2 seats in front of me on the other end, then nursed without any issues. Have a fun trip!

kpm76
09-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your help!! Glad to hear nobody on this thread has had any negative experiences with nursing during a flight :) After speaking with DD's pediatrician, we decided to fly with her on on lap. Safety of course is top priority for us; we have the best car seats available and would spend any amount of money needed to ensure DD's safety in the car. If I thought that she needed her own seat on the plane, I would gladly have forked over the $200 for a seat, however, DH and I trust our pediatrician implicitly and his recommendation was for her to fly on our lap. Of course the airlines are going to encourage you to purchase a seat because they will make more money. I'm going with the advice of DD's doctor whose only interest is DD's well being. DD does not take a pacifier so that would never work. I really do not want to start that whole car seat debate again. My question was about bf on a plane and I got some very good advice there so thanks again.

mrsltg
09-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Thank you everyone for your help!! Glad to hear nobody on this thread has had any negative experiences with nursing during a flight :) After speaking with DD's pediatrician, we decided to fly with her on on lap. Safety of course is top priority for us; we have the best car seats available and would spend any amount of money needed to ensure DD's safety in the car. If I thought that she needed her own seat on the plane, I would gladly have forked over the $200 for a seat, however, DH and I trust our pediatrician implicitly and his recommendation was for her to fly on our lap. Of course the airlines are going to encourage you to purchase a seat because they will make more money. I'm going with the advice of DD's doctor whose only interest is DD's well being. DD does not take a pacifier so that would never work. I really do not want to start that whole car seat debate again. My question was about bf on a plane and I got some very good advice there so thanks again.

You'll be fine and so will Abby! I did not bf my girls so I'm not sure, but I'm imagining it would be impossible to nurse while the baby is in a carseat and you are seated next to her! I always had seats for my babies, but, frankly, they didn't always sit in them - there they go being 'babies' again :confused: . Holding Abby on the flight seems to be the best fit for you. You'll be able to feed her immediately, change her position, and do just about anything else needed. You may need to switch off with your dh so you can sip your in-flight beverage, but other than that, it should be a breeze!

Have a great trip!

Jajone
09-13-2007, 08:06 AM

As a Mom of 4 I find alot of baby items useless but this is one item I bought for baby #4 and I LOVE IT!!! :love:

It won't fall off even if baby kicks and squirms, I can latch her with my entire breast out if I need and no one can see and they come in very stylish patterns. I bought a knock-off on eBay cheaper, but here is the original site of the hooter hider......the plastic boning in the top and adjustable neck strap are worth thr money if you are planning on breastfeeding for awhile.

I also bought a handmade knock off for my third breastfed child and used it everywhere! I even had several people ask me if I was cold, thinking it was a blanket. Obviously I must have been nursing discreetly:rotfl2:

Tinkerbell2002
09-13-2007, 12:17 PM
We just flew SWA in May and I nursed ds and no one said anything on either flight. I think you will be fine. Have a fun trip.

tanyaandallie
09-13-2007, 12:47 PM

I am sure your baby will be fine flying in your lap. I have flown with a lap baby many times so I am not really one to talk. However, PLEASE remember that your ped is an expert on the medical care of your child. He is not a safety expert and he is certainly not an expert on the safest way to fly with your child. The safest way to fly with your child is to have your child buckled into a carseat. There is just no way to debate that. If there is turbulence your child could be hurt.

Like I said, I am not one to talk as I have traveled with lap children and I do know the risks. I just want you to make sure you are aware that there are risks and that it is not the safest way to fly.

eebadeeba
09-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Since you are flying SWA (assuming it is open seating), if someone is going to be sitting in the seat next to you, then you know they chose the seat knowing the baby is there. This eases my mind, since if it were an issue with them, they would have at least found a middle seat between two adults. I have never had an issue on any other flight.

I have also found that using my finger as a pacifier when landing when DD won't nurse, works to get them to suck. But if they are comfortable enough to sleep though it, then they are probably fine.

Have a great trip.

GiGi30
09-13-2007, 02:59 PM
I nursed my daughter on a flight before. My DH did hold a blanket up for me. I am a bit shy about nursing in public, but we didn't get any looks or any snarky comments!

ljcrochet
09-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I nursed my girls on a plane when they were 13 months old. No one gave us a second look. Our biggest problem was the seats. We had to chance seat due to the configuration of the plane.

grlpwrd
09-14-2007, 03:07 PM

I frequent bf'ing boards and have been for a long time. There has been discussion that using this type of "shield" may actually draw more attention to you because it draws more attention to what mom is doing. I just wanted to share that thought with the OP.

BTW, your dd's are so beautiful....and congratulations on the birth of your newest littlest princess: .

tanyaandallie, I like what you posted. I didn't want to "go there," but I am glad you posted what you did without being rude to the OP.