PDA

View Full Version : We had a happy surprise trip! (and DS rode RnRC)

dijid
09-10-2007, 09:07 AM
All my worry about DS being upset about our surprise trip was for naught. In the end, we kept it a secret until about an hour before leavning for the airport. Woke the kids up and told them we were going on a field trip. Youngest DD(3) joked about going to Disney World and laughed.

Got the 3 kiddos downstairs for breakfast and asked them where they'd like to go on a field trip. DD(3) again says Disney World. DS(6) agrees and so DH and I say, "OK." The kids pause, unsure of what's going on, and then get excited. I point out to older DD that she will celebrate her 8th birthday there and she squeals with excitement. I have DS help me carry something to the car and when he sees I have suitcases packed, he finally believes it with an "Oh Yea! We're going to Disney World."

If any of you remember my earlier posts, I was also concerned because DS was just shy of the 48" needed to ride RnRC And right before we left (after having booked the trip in April when our youngest reached 40") he decided he really, really wanted to wait to book a trip to WDW when he hit 48". I bought him some Cars light up shoes at Payless that added about 3/8" to his height and as we are going to WDW I prepare him that he may not be able to ride, but that he was going to have so much fun and could ride so many other things.

Fast forward a few days. We're at MGM For Rope Drop with DS before gravity can take its toll on his height. He's got on his flappy hat (which really provides maybe an extra 1/16" an inch) and is exhilarated to be part of the rush of people to RnRC. I'm frantically crossing fingers, toes, holding my breath and simultaneously praying that he doesn't have a gigantic meltdown when he doesn't get to ride. I guess sheer willpower can make you taller, because his head hit the bottom of the height thing and they let him ride. It was by the skin of his head and if he had exhaled, he surely wouldn't have been tall enough. It was the highlight of his trip. We knew better than to tempt fate and get in line again later, but that one ride satisfied him.

We weren't clear of meltdowns, though. The night we arrived home, DS started crying when I put him to bed. He missed WDW and didn't want to be at home. I just held him and almost cried with him as he talked about how much fun he had and how he wished we were still at the Contemporary. We had a great time and I'm sure he'll never forget it.

LadyShea
09-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Awww, that's so sweet that he had so much fun he missed it when you got home, and that he was able to ride RnRC!

StitchandPooh'sMom
09-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Yay! I'm so glad it worked out and he was able to ride! Glad you had a great trip!

Hedy
09-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Yay! I was worried he'd be disappointed.

tweedlemom
09-10-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm really glad you posted an update! I had a feeling your trip would work out just fine!

Tigger&Aidan
09-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Glad you had a good trip! Makes me want to cry when I miss WDW too!

Scuttle
09-10-2007, 10:58 PM
What an awesome story! Isn't that just a kid's (and adult's LOL)perfect day to be whisked away to WDW!!!