PDA

View Full Version : what age did your kids meet the height restriction

emmababy
09-10-2007, 09:08 AM
I was just wondering around what age did your kids meet the height restrictions? We are just trying to plan on when our dc's might be able to ride the bigger rides. What age did you let them ride goofy's barnstormer?
Thanks!

teresajoy
09-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I was just wondering around what age did your kids meet the height restrictions? We are just trying to plan on when our dc's might be able to ride the bigger rides. What age did you let them ride goofy's barnstormer?
Thanks!

Didn't the barnstormer use to not have a height restriction? I'm thinking my oldest daughter went on that when she was one. Now, they have to be at least 35". I let them ride as soon as they are tall enough and want to go on.

My youngest daughter who is 4 was just about a 1/4" too short to ride Mt.Everest in May. She was SO upset! If I'd have brought her a different pair of shoes, she'd have made it on without a problem. She is now pleanty tall enough to ride, and it's all she can talk about!

Destination Disney
09-10-2007, 09:14 AM
My son was 3yrs. old when he road the Barnstormer. 36". When he was 4yrs., 42" he was able to ride Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur (AK), Soarin & Test Track (Epcot) Splash Mountain & Thunder Mountain (MK)-(His procliamed 2 FAVORITE rides.) He is also tall enough for Tower of Terror but we are feeling that one out!:scared1: He loved them all and has his sights set on Space Mountain!

all4fun
09-10-2007, 09:18 AM
My ds is in the 90% for height. He rode Barnstormer by the time he was two and he rode the 40" rides at 3-1/2. I wouldn't let the height requirements stop you from going though - the majority of attractions can be enjoyed by everyone. :thumbsup2

MNdisneymom
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
:) ...my 4.5 year old DS *just* hit 40 inches. He is already asking when he'll be big enough to ride Everest...but was pacified by the notion that he's now big enough to ride TOT, his current You Tube video obsession :)

(He has always been little--5 th to 10th percentile for height and weight since birth.)

On our trip last year, the only thing he was big enough to ride was Kali River...and he was just barely big enough. The perils of being short and daring, alas.

sskem96
09-10-2007, 09:39 AM
We waited to go til the kids were 5 and 8, and they won't go on most of the rides with height restrictions anyway, so it was kind of pointless to wait. We also thought by that age we wouldn't need a stroller, but we were wrong there too.

We are going back in a couple months, dd#1 will be just a few days short of her 11th b-day, and dd#2 will be 8. The younger one is saying that she's going to go on everything this time, but she may chicken out when we get there. She's about 50-51" now. Last time she did go on Kali and Big Thunder Mountain.

DD10 still won't go on anything. I've offered her $50 to ride the Barnstormer, and I don't think she'll go through with it. Even the 3-D movies are too much for her. She'd rather sit on a bench and people watch while we go on rides. She loves going to Disney and is really excited, but personally I don't understand what she gets out of it. I guess it's more just the atmosphere and the fact that we get to have lots of fun and no responsibilities for a few days. Space Mountain was my first roller coaster and I was 12 or 13 at the time, so I still have high hopes that some day she'll start enjoying the bigger rides. For now, we'll stick to Buzz Lightyear and Fantasyland.

emmababy
09-10-2007, 10:11 AM
thanks! Oh, we've been twice already. I was just wondering when they might be ready to do bigger rides!

kokotg
09-10-2007, 11:47 AM
my kids are on the tall side...my oldest DS (who hovers around the 95th % for height) was plenty tall for everything except the 48" rides (primeval whirl and a couple of others maybe?) when he had just turned 5. He's just past 6 now, and hit 48" months ago, so he's tall enough for everything. My not quite so tall second DS <i>just</i> made it onto the 40" rides when he was a bit past 3 last year. He was 39 1/2" barefoot, so tall enough with shoes. He's 4 now, and I'm pretty sure he has another year before he hits 44". I haven't measured him lately, but I'm wondering if my youngest DS, who's 21 months, might make it onto Barnstormer. It'll be close--I remember my oldest was 36" at 2, but I don't think the little one's quite as tall as he was. I think he'd completely love it, though--he's my fearless one.

Princess Roo
09-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Here's a site that has the growth charts pediatricians use. Chances are your daughter will stay pretty consistent percentage wise to her current stature and you can see when that percentage hits all the ride restriction heights if you want.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/nhanes/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm

I have an off-the-chart for height boy, so he could have ridden some of the rides with thick-soled shoes at his recent 2.5 year visit, but we definitely didn't think he was ready, so we stuck to Barnstormer.

teresajoy
09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I also wanted to add that my nine year old was FINALLY tall enough for the 48" rides this year!!! WOO HOOO!!! She is SHORT! So, she rode Rock N Rollercoaster with my 15 year old. You should have seen her face when they got off!! She was just glowing, she was so excited!

Corey, my 15 year old son, has been going on all the rides for a long time, I don't really remember when he hit that mark, but I'm thinking he was about 7.

I just checked out the chart someone posted, and if Lydia keeps growing like she has, should hit 48" when she's about 5 1/2. Funny how kids from the same two (short) parents can turn out SO different in height!

teresajoy
09-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Here's a site that has the growth charts pediatricians use. Chances are your daughter will stay pretty consistent percentage wise to her current stature and you can see when that percentage hits all the ride restriction heights if you want.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/nhanes/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm

I have an off-the-chart for height boy, so he could have ridden some of the rides with thick-soled shoes at his recent 2.5 year visit, but we definitely didn't think he was ready, so we stuck to Barnstormer.

My 9 year old daughter was off the charts too! But, she was off the BOTTOM of the charts!

MomofKatie
09-10-2007, 01:47 PM
MY DD was tall enough for the following (DD is short for her age- in the 25th %tile):

Height requirement:

35"- Barnstormer- she was tall enough on her first visit at age 3 1/2, but she didn't ride- she is definitely NOT a thrill ride lover!

38"- Kali- see above

40"- Dinosaur, Soarin', Test Track, BTMRR, Splash, Stitch, Star Tours, ToT- age 4

44"- E:E, Mission:Space, Space Mtn- age 6

48"- Primeval Whirl, RnR, most slides at the waterparks- age 8

51"- CyberSpace Mtn and Buzz Lightyear (both at DQ)- age 9

52"- Tomorrowland Speedway (to drive alone)- not tall enough yet- probably age 10.

NotUrsula
09-10-2007, 02:38 PM
DS made the 40" rides at 27 months old. He got stalled between 48" and 50" for over 2 years, and was old enough to ride every single thing at WDW, including Summit Plummet, by the time he was 8. He crossed the last of the height requirements at USIOA when he was about 4 months past his 9th birthday.