PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide!! Jiko, Yachtsman, or Bistro....

Tinkerbelll
09-09-2007, 10:27 PM
We are doing free dining and have an ADR for Yachtsman Steakhouse but, after reading some reviews, I am having second thoughts! We're trying to eat at only places we've never eaten before, and these were the 3 "2-credit" restaurants we came up with... Jiko, Yachtsman, or Bistro de Paris. So where have you had the best meal? Where would you eat?:confused3

Redbudlover
09-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I havent done the Yachtsman - but have seen the same reviews. My meal at the Bistro was incredible. Jiko is supposed to be amazing. The best meal I have ever had - and I eat at signature restaurants there a lot - go for the food! would be a tossup between the Brown Derby and California Grill. I was really surprised by the Derby. Totally excellent. And the CA Grill - is known to be the best 5 star on property.... And my meal lived up to that reputation. Going to go again this month to both!!! And am trying Jiko.

Uncleromulus
09-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Jiko. Good food and service!!

melomouse
09-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Hi - Mine might be one of the recent reviews you read for Yachtsman. Tho I haven't yet tried the other two, I would take Yachtsman out of the running in your decision. We had better meals in many other restaurants on our recent ten night stay!

My personal choice would be Bistro, just for a bit easier location access - unless you're staying at AKL..

Enjoy!

CamColt
09-10-2007, 07:44 AM
I havent dined at the others but my 4 experiences at YSH in the past 3 years have all been absolutley amazing!

BirdsOfPreyDave
09-10-2007, 08:22 AM
I was very much under-whelmed by Jiko. I was disappointed that the menu wasn't a little more adventurous.

The food was excellent, and we had a very enjoyable meal with good service. But I can't say it was significantly better than many of the non-signature restaurants we also tried. Le Cellier, Coral Reef, and Alfredo's all held their own and were equal to Jiko with regard to food and service.

The one thing I will say for Jiko is that it's nice and quiet. Things are a little more relaxed, and we were able to enjoy a nice conversation. Was that worth the additional credit? We decided afterward it was not. We love Boma and will be planning on that as our AKL restaurant of choice in the future.

taylorl25
09-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Bistro de Paris is not on the dining plan so you'd need to pay OOP if you choose that one. Jiko would be my choice although i really enjoyed my meal at the Yachtsman it was a couple of years ago.

jwfla422
09-10-2007, 02:44 PM
We've eaten at all of them...hands down, JIKO!! Bistro's filet doesn't come close to JIKO's. We love Jiko!:thumbsup2

Very "not" impressed with YSH in recent years and Bistro hasn't lived up to par for us either. If you're going to splurge on filet go for Jiko's, there's nothing else like it. The mac n cheese combo is so awesome and unique... Their tomato, cucumber and onion salad, salmon dish and flatbreads are also great treats. I think they have a unique menu actually, so don't know about it being "non" adventurous??:confused3

MYDISNEYHOUSES
09-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I vote for Jiko, it is one of our favorites.

Laugh O. Grams
09-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm with the majority...Jiko's the way to go!

OKW Lover
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
All three of these are great choices. I wouldn't cancel my Yachtsman reservations though. I've had lots of good experiences there.

madalex
09-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Love them all, but if you have never been there, Jiko is the way to go. Great food and a wonderful wine list.

mlill
09-10-2007, 05:12 PM
I vote for Jiko. :thumbsup2 Our meal at Yachtsman last December was very poor and over priced. I doubt we will go back for awhile...

Tinkerbelll
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Bistro de Paris is not on the dining plan so you'd need to pay OOP if you choose that one.

Wow! I can't believe I missed this detail! Now that you mention it, I seem to remember reading this somewhere, but it must have slipped my mind! Either way, I don't think we will be paying OOP for this because if I'm on the DDP, the only meal I want to whip out the cash for is V&A's Chef's Table! And I'm still working on DBF for this one....if your reading this hunnie, hint hint! :rotfl: So I guess it's Jiko or Yachtsman.... I already have the ADR for Yachtsman, but Jiko sounds wonderful! Uh-o.... decisions, decisions....

bzzymom
09-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I really enjoy eating at Yachtsman's, it has been a favorite of ours for years. It is a sentimental favorite. I enjoy Jiko as well. I love the atmosphere there.

burberryplaid
09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I can't give any help with all of your choices but we had dinner at Jiko last night and it was wonderful! The filet mignon was the best I've ever had..it was so buttery and yummy and grilled to perfection. We loved everything we had there!

webray
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Jiko with kids,
Bistro without kids

Yachtsman..never in a million years.

OKW Lover
10-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Just wondering what the OP finally decided on and how the experience was.

Ron from Michigan
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Jiko. Great food and service.

D&R love Disney
10-19-2007, 12:16 PM
We love both Jiko and YSH. Never tried Bistro spice I'm not a big fan of French cuisine.

Pakey
10-19-2007, 12:31 PM
I've eaten at all 3 many times and will continue to so my comments are not necessary a criticism because I like all 3 but I'm going to rank them. Yachtsman would come in number 3--although good there is nothing unusual about it--you can get these same foods and wines at a good local steakhouse. Jiko would be second. Although the filet is to die for and the appetizer sampler platters cannot be compared to anything else and the wine list is great, my opinion is based on the rest of the menu. If you want an amazing filet, go to JIKO. If you want to try one of the other main courses, it won't quite stack up to the filet. So my first pick is Bistro. It's not on the DDP which means there won't be many kids in there. It's definitely a grown-up atmosphere. They do offer a price fixe menu with wine pairing as one option which is nice. The chocolate souffle that you have to order at the time you place your meal order (so that they can start making it) is INCREDIBLE if you like lots of chocolate. The service is very good here. And if you get lucky, you can time your ADR to coincide with Illuminations and you might get a window seat where you can catch part of the fireworks.

Ms.Mouse
10-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Never been to Bistro but...I'd go for Yachtsman Steakhouse. Each time we went, we had great food and great service.

DVC Mike
10-19-2007, 12:56 PM
We love both Jiko and Yachtsman Steakhouse. Both are excellent restaurants.