PDA

View Full Version : OT---Potty seat

JAM3
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Much to my surprise my dd has started to use the potty. I was not even of thinking of potty training her yet! She is nowhere close to being 2 yet. She has been using the regular toilet and I have been holding her there. Since this does not seem to be a passing interest I thought I should buy something to allow her to have some independence. I went looking today and had no idea what I wanted. I want something that still uses the regular toilet but something she can climb up herself and get on. I am not sure if she could do this with a step stool and squishy seat. Seems like it would be hard for her to turn around and all. I don't want it to be tramatic for her! Any one have something good they are using/used in a similar situation?

LuvOrlando
09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
My DS was looking to use the potty at around 16 months but since DD was a premie I got off track and didn't finish up until he was around 2.

When we finally did train my kids it was on our regular seat but I know many people who used little seats successfully too. There are many seats out there. I would suggest the on line Baby Depot as a good place to start.

Good luck to both of you:thumbsup2

all4fun
09-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I haven't tried it but this product looks like it might fit your needs

http://www.pottytrainingsolutions.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=356

It includes the toilet reducer and step stool and has handles for the child to grip as well.

Whatever you decide to get my advice is to keep it simple. We bought a muscial potty trying to get my ds interested (yeah, right:rolleyes: ) and it's kind of a pain to clean. Something that doesn't have much to it, like the Baby Bjorn potties for instance, are ideal as far as clean up goes because they don't have a lot of little crevices for "stuff" to get into. blech! lol

hth

MSSANDRA
09-10-2007, 06:31 AM
If you child is really small you might want to consider the stand alone potty to start. I had NO intention to use one and planned to start right on the regular seat. DS however was also premature and trained really early. He was tiny at 24 mo when he trained and had a really hard time with the regular tolet. I bought a very simple fisher price seat for the floor. When out in public I held him up. I was done using the floor seat by three. I agree that simple and easy to use is best.

Alesia
09-10-2007, 07:42 AM
I have always found it easier to just train them using the regular seat. If you use a small seat, you will have to carry it around everywhere and you will still eventually have to switch to a regular seat.

Gillian
09-10-2007, 07:42 AM
We had a soft seat with handles that seemed very comfortable. There is a regular step stool in the bathroom that DD was able to use to climb up. I think that seat might have been part of a stand alone potty, but those are messy and if she's using the regular one, that's great!

the FIrst Years makes a similar one to that. It's online at babiesrus.com It's white with blue handles.

BTW, DD just stopped using the insert seat after a while on her own. She just holds on to the regular seat if she needs to balance. She's rather heavy and there's no way I can hold her, so she does this out in public too. All you can really do is wash up well after.

grlpwrd
09-10-2007, 09:03 AM
All of my kids used a insert that fits on the top of the toilet and a little step stool. They never used those little potties because it was just another transition that they would have had to deal with so we just got the toilet insert. Now they come in different patterns, like Dora, Sesame Street, Diego, etc.

My 2yo is potty training and my 4yo is potty trained and they also use a Fisher Price portable potty that looks just like a toilet for on the go/emergencies. They aren't scared or apprehensive to use it.

Hope this helps...and GL! :wizard:

flipflop
09-10-2007, 10:35 AM
We use the FP potty on the go when we are out and about and love it.
DD is a small 2 year old (3-5th percentile) and we use the Baby Bjorn seat that fits on the toilet with a step stool and she has no problems with it being too big.

JAM3
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am glad to hear that some of you use the seat on the toilet with a step stool without any problems. We may try that first and then go to a potty chair if dd has a lot of problems with it! I think I will look on Amazon later and order one! Thanks again!