PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever made the Le Cellier cheese soup at home?

Toot Sweet
09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
If so, how did it turn out?

scubamouse
09-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Very very good. I got the recipe off allears. The only difference was that I made it with tofu bacon since we were having vegetarians over for dinner. I think w/real bacon it would be outstanding. The tofu version tasted very similar to Le Cellier's soup but it got a pinkish hue from the tofu coloring!

crelange1
09-09-2007, 09:24 AM
No, but I got the recipe last week on our trip and am interested to hear feedback from others who have made it.

JohnathanS
09-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Yep, I made it a couple of times and it turned out great!

Pig Pen
09-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I made it for a dinner party.

Do not make it up ahead of time...I made it the night before and thought I could just warm it up for the party. While it tasted fabulous, the consistency didn't hold up well - it "separated" and grease was floating on the top...

However, when I made it, it was perfect.

ILuvDVC2
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I made the original recipe several times, and once for a party I tripled the recipe in a 16-quart pot. I get lots of requests from my DH to make it in the winter, but it's good all year round. I now rarely need to look at the recipe as I know it from memory.

It's a lot easier to make than you might think, but do be sure to follow the directions. A couple of tips... I like the bacon to be more crispy than the recipe says, so I cook it a little longer than 5 minutes (more like 10). Also, the roux can be tricky if you overcook it (this is the stage in the recipe when you add the flour to the sauteed bacon, celery, onion and butter), so stick to the directions for this step. Finally, be sure to whisk in the chicken stock in slowly to the roux. You'll get a creamier consistency in the final product.

:idea:Now I want to make it for dinner tonight!

JohnathanS
09-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I made the original recipe several times, and once for a party I tripled the recipe in a 16-quart pot. I get lots of requests from my DH to make it in the winter, but it's good all year round. I now rarely need to look at the recipe as I know it from memory.

It's a lot easier to make than you might think, but do be sure to follow the directions. A couple of tips... I like the bacon to be more crispy than the recipe says, so I cook it a little longer than 5 minutes (more like 10). Also, the roux can be tricky if you overcook it (this is the stage in the recipe when you add the flour to the sauteed bacon, celery, onion and butter), so stick to the directions for this step. Finally, be sure to whisk in the chicken stock in slowly to the roux. You'll get a creamier consistency in the final product.

:idea:Now I want to make it for dinner tonight!

Excellent points. Another suggestion is to warm your chicken stock before adding it to your roux; you always want to add a hot liquid to a hot roux to help stop it from lumping. Happy cooking!

ReneeA
09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I thought it was really good, too. Mine didn't turn out as creamy as the original because I didn't chop the onion and bacon fine enough.

A quick few minutes with the submesion blender did the trick. :thumbsup2

disneyfav4ever
09-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I've made it several times. I have a problem with it seperating when reheating too, but the directions do say to not let it boil after adding the milk, and when I reheat it, it does get to boiling point.