PDA

View Full Version : Am I out of my mind for wanting to take my children on The Haunted Mansion?

1rockinmamato2
09-09-2007, 05:53 AM
It just occurred to me last night that DS2 and DD1 may not like HM. :scared1:

I know my children may not appreciated HM as much as I do, yet. But, am I crazy for planning on taking them on this ride? They aren't afraid of the dark, but of course the images can be scary.

Mouse House Mama
09-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Nope. We took the kids when they were that young. We made a joke of everything and they loved it! Only now my DD 3 won't go on certain rides because they scare her. I say go for it!

MSSANDRA
09-09-2007, 06:55 AM
I think you have a better chance now than in a year or two. At that age they do not have a clue that ghost are even suppose to be scary. TAlk about the "funny" music and dancing. Remember that for a lot of kids the quel area is more scary than the ride. Distraction might be good here and there is a chicken exit if needed.

tjmw2727
09-09-2007, 08:09 AM
My kids loved HM from the time they were babies - they didn't know it was scary until they were 5ish and by then they knew the ride by heard. We just told them things like the funny man is going to Pop up and surprise you.

You know your kdis best though and while mine weren't many kids are scared. My BF's dd won't go near it even now at 7.

TJ

*Emily*
09-09-2007, 08:27 AM
I loved it when I was little! I'm going in a few days with my friend and her two kids (5,10) and prepared to either bribe or drag them on it!

cbrfan
09-09-2007, 08:28 AM
We took our DGS2 last year and he loved HM. I agree with the above posters - start them out young!

kathie859
09-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Unless the children are overly sensitive, I can't imagine them being afraid at that age. Plus in the doom buggy they are close to you so if something would bother them, you're right there to hide their eyes or talk to them softly to soothe them. Of course, if they are overly sensitive--it's going to be a long trip for you!!:lmao:

Have fun and enjoy!:goodvibes

Princess Roo
09-09-2007, 08:59 AM
I agree it's OK as long as they're not scared of the dark.
BTW, my DS2 decided ON our trip to start being scared of even the slightest dark (like ride queues). Thankfully we had a mini-flashlight with us (just one of those little ones on a keychain that doesn't give off enough light to bother people around us). I suggest anyone with small kids travel with one "just in case". We wouldn't have been able to go on any indoor rides at all otherwise! :eek:

bumbershoot
09-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Does HM at WDW have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay like DL?

When DS was one, we went while HM was closed. When he was two, it had opened for the holidays.

The Nightmare stuff was super-creepy (IMO), and he had some weird reactions to it even before getting in line.

We had FPs for it (given at DL during the holidays only, I believe) and for some ridiculous reason, stood in line while the CM dealt with someone having some sort of big (and long) issue, while people got in the standby line and went on the ride while we stood there. Dumb dumb dumb. Made it so much longer. If WDW has FPs but the standby line is streaming by, get in that line.

We made a HUGE mistake in going on in later in the day (a one-day blast through DL, no hotel to take a nap in, just a short stroller-nap) as it was getting darker, and he was definitely getting tired and cranky.

When we got to the stretch room and everyone screamed their heads off, he lost it. We got out of the stretch room, and the dark corridors took him further into the fear.

Finally we were able to exit, which is just as you get ON the ride, but we should have just done the ride, b/c at DL the corridors of the exit are painted black and are long, cold, and spooky, and he (and I) hated it even more than he hated the corridors of the queue.

Make sure they are rested, fed, and happy. Go earlier in the day if that's when they are cheeriest. Don't YOU be tired (I was tired and not at my best at cheerleading him through the ride). Expect people to scream, and figure out ways they can deal with that OR join in (this year I've coached DS that he can scream his head off in there, IF others are screaming, and that way he can join in the fun...of course, now I'm part of the *let's scream for fun when there's nothing scary* problem, sigh).

Hope my mistakes from last year can help!

Scuttle
09-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I have to say that I disagree about taking young children on this ride (and other questionable rides for that matter). We decided we would go with our childrens' cues and go on the rides that they seemed interested in, and low and behold it backfired - BIG TIME! :eek:

I don't ever remember the HM being scary, I remember as a child thinking it was so cool, and thought that this would be fun for them - I don't know what I was thinking, because from the time we got on the actual ride until the end, my kids were not happy campers! :sad2: But now that I have seen it through their eyes, I don't know what I was thinking. We did everything in our powers to make it funny and shield them from the oddities, but that was pretty impossible. I was bummed! :guilty: We tried another much tamer ride - IASW, and the damage was already done. They freaked out from the moment the boat goes under that first bridge! All rides, in their little minds, became questionable after that.

Like many other rides, the fact that there isn't any place to escape made it worse in my mind. There's no testing out a ride to see if they like it or not. You have to commit from the get go.

They were two at the time.

My advice, test them out on the more child friendly rides first, and save those more questionable ones for the end of your trip - just in case! :thumbsup2

myAAbatteries&aTD
09-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Mine like HM (started going on it at 18 months, 20 months and 6 months). When they're younger, it put them to sleep - I guess the darkness and the coolness and the time we rode it all were factors, but they never got scared or freaked out over it. We have been to DL when it's decorated for Christmas and they liked that, too..... I agree w/ trying other similar-type rides first to make sure they're okay w/ them... good luck! I like HM and so do my kiddos!!!

Luckymomoftwo
09-09-2007, 06:04 PM
My son has been going on HM since he was a year old. When he was 2 or 3 and he went on it again, we told him before we got on the ride that it was just like a movie...and that nothing in it was real. (even though he had been on it before, now he was at an impressionable age...when he was 1 he did fine, but we didn't want to take any chances this time) We also made sure to keep an upbeat FUN attitude while we were on it, and didn't try to add to the "scary" theme of the ride. My DS is almost 8 now and to this day, HM is his absolute favorite ride in all of WDW. It's the first ride we have to go on when we get there.

When you get in the line inside the building, everything is kind of dark and it resembles how the ride looks (dark and creepy), so if the kids start to get a little freaked out in there, you can always just get out of line and spare them from getting totally spooked on the ride.

Good luck!!

Jill in Chicago
09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Skip it. We took DS, age 5 on it and he hated it. We told him it was Scooby Doo scary. He was horrified, and spent the entire ride in my arm pit. I felt like such a bad job as there was no way to stop the ride and he just had to endure it.

Manda
09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
My son was fine when he was 2 and rode on it. We went back when he was 3 and he absolutely lost it. When the ghosts started popping up from behind tombstones and shrieking, he started shaking and crying and I had to hold him with his face buried in my chest and my arms wrapped around his head to block out the sound. It's the only thing he's ever reacted to like that.

FourBoysMom
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
:rotfl2: I'm 36 and always find a reason NOT to go on HM with the hubby and kids....I'm a big ninny! The kids are always fine on it though -

LilGMom
09-10-2007, 12:59 PM
It depends on your kids. My oldest ds has been going on HM since he was ten months old, of course he slept through it the first few times, and he is now six. The only thing that he doesn't like is the tombstone near the front of the HM doors that has the green eyes, other than that he knows it is "imagination" and says it isn't scary. My youngest has also been on it a few times and has never reacted to any part of it. One of my nephews doesn't like the dark and at age 6 he hated it, so it really depends on the child.

mom2alix
09-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Your kids are really young and probably won't HM mind at all. DD LOVED HM when she was 18 months. It was a nice, gentle ride where she cuddled up to mom and dad and took it all it.

Later at age 4, she HATED it. She ran for the exit at the end and I had a hard time keeping up with her. I was SHOCKED since it had been one of her favorites rides on the trip before. It's like she had finally grown up enough to realize she was supposed to be scared. The next trip, she was willing to ride again with her Daddy, but she still didn't like it very much. She outright REFUSES to ride Snow White now.

DS like HM just fine at 18 months and again at age 2, we'll see how he reacts at 3.5 in June.

Have a great trip!:cool1:

aubriee
09-11-2007, 02:17 AM
I guess it depends on your kid. When I was there this past May, there was a little girl in the doom buggy behind me that cried and screamed the entire ride. We all felt sorry for her, I'm sure, but it sure spoiled the ride for all of us within screeching distance. What was funny was that as her dad was carrying her off at the end, she started fighting to get out of his arms. Once on the ground she hauled off and kicked him hard, yelling "I told you it wasn't a good idea. I'm just a little kid. You're a bad daddy!".

WildGrits
09-11-2007, 03:07 AM
I guess it depends on your kid. When I was there this past May, there was a little girl in the doom buggy behind me that cried and screamed the entire ride. We all felt sorry for her, I'm sure, but it sure spoiled the ride for all of us within screeching distance. What was funny was that as her dad was carrying her off at the end, she started fighting to get out of his arms. Once on the ground she hauled off and kicked him hard, yelling "I told you it wasn't a good idea. I'm just a little kid. You're a bad daddy!".

That is so funny. I could see my youngest cussing out my dad at that age. Any time she didn't get her way with him she would say under her breath, "Stupid Grampy".

When mine where the age of the OP's age, they had no problem with it.

But we are pretty Goth when it comes to our preferances. We celebrate Halloween with greater festivities and any other holiday. And they grew up watching Nightmare and listening to soundtracks from Cirque du Soleil and Phantom of the Opera so we might not be a good gauge of other kids.

I can tell you that I have never been able to get them to sit though any of the 4-D movies there at WDW. Those scare them.

#1 Pocahontas
09-11-2007, 06:41 AM
I can tell you that I have never been able to get them to sit though any of the 4-D movies there at WDW. Those scare them.

My dd is scared to death of those as well! It took one accorn "flying" towards her in bugs life and she was done. She likes to sit through the Muppets and Philharmagic with her glasses off. There is no way we are even trying Honey I shrunk the adience. Not with that big snake. LOL

My oldest didn't mind HM when she was 2 and under but at age four was scared of it. We saw clips of it on a planning video and it freaked her out. Towards the end of the trip she decided she wanted to try it so we waited in line. Once we walked in the house she changed her mind and so we went right out the exit.

Momof2Disneyboys
09-11-2007, 08:25 AM
We have never rode the HM! This thread is very interesting and insightful though!! My youngest DS 5 (nearly 6) wants to ride it next year. DS 8 wants nothing to do with it. He loves thrill rides, but hates the dark and loud sounds. While DS 5 is unsure of thrill rides, but doesn't mind the dark at all. I was thinking we could all wait in line together and then DH and I could do the child swap so DS 8 won't have to ride. But now I'm wondering if he'll even be able to take the queue area. . . . . :confused:

tinkandpan
09-11-2007, 08:52 AM
At that age- they should totally be fine. Nothing really (except the dark would scare them). Mine went on from the start and it was my son's favorite ride for the longest time, then he turned 4 and decided he was scared of the stretching room and will no longer go on it.:confused3

amyhughes
09-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Sorry! But my 4 year old HATED it, covered his eyes. But he is more Dramatic! Constantly feigning his tummy hurting, y'know the kid who sees ghosts and it's only Dad cutting the lawn outside of his room. He has an ACTIVE imagination so that is a plus. Maybe when he is older it will inspire him to write ghost stories or feel those wonderful pin prickly emoitions that actors need! I know I love that feeling!

My 3 year old wanted to stay on it! He cried when we tried to get him out of the HM! I was amazed, I thought he would have cried and freaked, but he has always been more of a daredevil kid! He lvoed the dark rides, and LOVED the haunted mansion.

So I think it truly depends on teh kids themselves. If you think they can stomach it, go for it. But beware there have been some added effects to the new HM such as the feeling of bats flying around you in the stretch room sequence, (that freaks me out!), so try it once, if they respond positively go again. IF not, chalk it up to experience and try it when they are older and BRAVER!

xipetotec
09-11-2007, 10:29 AM
It just occurred to me last night that DS2 and DD1 may not like HM. :scared1:

I know my children may not appreciated HM as much as I do, yet. But, am I crazy for planning on taking them on this ride? They aren't afraid of the dark, but of course the images can be scary.

Thing about it is that it's "spooky" but in a funny way. It's all done with a lot of levity and really not "scary" at all. That being said,e very child is different, and some DO find it scary. I can tell you that when I was a kid, I cried through the stretching room, but then I laughed through the rest. My own kids just loved it from day 1 ( and my youngest went on his first time when he was 3 years old )

DREAMINGOFMOUSEEARS
09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
My dd went on when she was only 1 and absolutely loved it!! But it is definitely alot to do with your attitude towards it you know. We made laugh through the whole thing, and we didn't act spooked out so neither did she!!;)

1rockinmamato2
09-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow! Thanks for all of the replies and reassurance.

I think we'll try it with them. If they don't like it, DH can watch them when I ride it again. ;)

I can't wait to see the HM after the refurb. Well, I can't wait to see it at all - it's been 15 years since I last rode it! :sad1:

RedOctober
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
The only way to know is to try it once. If they like it, fine. If they don't like it, don't go again.

Either way, they will not be scarred for life. . . .

:eek:

brodyjen
09-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I think it's one of those things that you just won't be able to tell until you get there. My DD's were never bothered by anything on any of the rides until they hit 2.5, but pretty quickly got over it (and we're talking Fantasyland rides here - I don't do roller coasters! - which, if you think about it, many of which are pretty scary for a little one). But they aren't kids that are super-sensitive in general. If your kids don't like the dark, or really loud noises, or get easily overwhelmed, then I'd skip it - but you're also going to need to skip a lot of the "kid" rides (Snow White has the witch/bad queen, Roger Rabbit has all kinds of explosions, etc).