PDA

View Full Version : How come counter service locations don't sell Onion Rings?

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
09-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Unless I am wrong about this because I have not been to every counter service location in WDW, however the ones I have been to do not have Onion Rings on the menu and I am wondering why is that?

LoriZH
09-08-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't know if they have them or not, but if not, I am assuming because they are time consuming to make, unless they're the frozen ones. Either that or due to not everyone liking onion rings and most everyone loves French Fries, it's easier to have just one.

Umm...again, maybe they're just straight up onion haters and just don't care about their feelings at all ;)

tinkamom
09-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Flame tree in AK has onion rings. They were pretty good too!

JohnathanS
09-08-2007, 07:42 PM
In addition to Flame Tree, I believe Beaches & Cream at Beach Club and Good's to Go at Old Key West serve them as well.

lynninpa
09-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I say, do away with the fries and add onion rings! But that's just me. :rolleyes:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
09-08-2007, 08:23 PM
That's a very good question. We noticed that as well. The only rings we were able to get the whole time we were at Sci Fi Dine-In and they were pretty bad.

Krissalee
09-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Flame tree in AK has onion rings. They were pretty good too!

They do have onion rings at Flame Tree BBQ - I really like them as well!:hippie:

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
09-08-2007, 08:35 PM
If my parents and I go to the Animal Kingdom in December chances are we would have lunch at Flame Tree, so I would not mind having the Onion Rings.

MickeyNicki
09-08-2007, 08:52 PM
I say, do away with the fries and add onion rings! But that's just me. :rolleyes:

I totally agree and they should serve them with many different types of dipping sauces

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
10-06-2007, 08:39 AM
So, have we figured out why there aren't more of them? I don't imagine they're any harder to make than French fries? Maybe they just don't have the space for both?

debaone
10-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I, too, wish there were more places with rings. However, I bet with Disney's pledge to make their food choices "healthier" we won't be getting any new locations soon.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
10-08-2007, 05:59 PM
But onion rings are no worse for you then French fries?

smfnj
10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Hmmm... I know this would take a lot of work, but, adding a "menu item" field to the search function of The DIS menus would be a great addition.

Steve

crzy4mk
10-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Not counter service, but several years ago I had onion straws as an appetizer at 50s Prime Time Cafe. They were very good. Not sure if they still have them or not. :confused3

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I think they still have them at a bunch of TS restaurants. We had them at Sci Fi Dine-In (BLECH!). It's more the CS that are missing out.

Ron from Michigan
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I love the Onion Rings at Beaches & Creme.

k&a&c'smom
10-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Not counter service, but several years ago I had onion straws as an appetizer at 50s Prime Time Cafe. They were very good. Not sure if they still have them or not. :confused3

crazy4mk - if you're talking about the onion strings with, I think, horseradish dip at 50s PT, they are gone. Now, they have the same battered onion rings as Sci-Fi. DD and I loved the old version, we were so disappointed when they switched.~sigh~

crzy4mk
10-12-2007, 12:08 PM
That's a shame . . . they were really good. I didn't have them last time I was there, but was looking forward to them on my upcoming trip. :sad1:
Oh well, more room for meatloaf and s'mores!

crisi
10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
My guess is because onion rings don't hold up well with time. Fresh, hot from the oil onion rings are wonderful - onion rings left under a heater - not so good.

May also be an allergy thing - I don't know if french fries at WDW are allergin free - but it isn't hard to make a french fry that is free of dairy, eggs and wheat - its harder to make a dairy free, wheat free, egg free onion ring. Since so many people have food intolerances/allergies and because Disney has a good reputation for handling them, they may be looking for menu items that are going to be edible by more people.

SnowWtch
10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Some people are also allergic to onions. My DH works with someone who just smells them and her throat starts to close. She's been to the hospital a few times this year b/c someone put onions in her food by mistake.

mickeyluv'r
10-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Also, with onion rings, you have to have seperate fry vats or the food all picks up an onion taste.

livndisney
10-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Some people are also allergic to onions. My DH works with someone who just smells them and her throat starts to close. She's been to the hospital a few times this year b/c someone put onions in her food by mistake.

YEP, onion allergies are NOT fun! And the risk of cross contaimination is very high.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Since so many people have food intolerances/allergies and because Disney has a good reputation for handling them, they may be looking for menu items that are going to be edible by more people.

I don't think that's why they don't have them in some places because if that were the case they wouldn't have them anywhere on property. Also, if they were that concerned about allergies, they probably wouldn't use nuts.