PDA

View Full Version : Frame backpack child carrier?

moparop
09-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Has anyone ever used a frame backpack child carrier at WDW? We have had one since DS #1 was an infant and we finally pulled it out for DS #2 at 17 months. He loved it in there and DH loved carrying him in there. DH thought he might like it for Disney. I was afraid it would be hard to use there and get the kiddo in and out. If you did use one, where do you put it when you are on rides? I am really having trouble wrapping my brain around that part especially!

Thoughts?

Elmo888
09-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I think that if you want to use a child carrier, a soft carrier that you can stuff into a bag might work best.

Check out Ergo Carriers or Toddler Patapum Carriers.

Have a great trip!

Jen_in_NH
09-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I also suggest looking at an Ergo. I just got one for my son, and they're great! Other moms around here with older kids have used them until their kids were 3-4 years old. I haven't had him on my back yet (still too young), but it looks comfy. It definitely is comfy carrying him in front!

Jen

tanyaandallie
09-09-2007, 02:40 PM
I think the framed backpack would be a pain at Disney. We also have a soft structured carrier and LOVE it. Check these out -

Ergo
Beco - www.ecobabies.com
Patapum

www.attachedtobaby.com has tons of them.

teresajoy
09-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Has anyone ever used a frame backpack child carrier at WDW? We have had one since DS #1 was an infant and we finally pulled it out for DS #2 at 17 months. He loved it in there and DH loved carrying him in there. DH thought he might like it for Disney. I was afraid it would be hard to use there and get the kiddo in and out. If you did use one, where do you put it when you are on rides? I am really having trouble wrapping my brain around that part especially!

Thoughts?

I never took one to Disney, but if your DH is allready use to carrying him around in one, and getting him in and out, I don't see where it would be any harder at Disney. I would think you could leave the carrier with the strollers. I imagine there are some attractions where you could just take it right with you, although I don't know the rules about that!

Scuttle
09-09-2007, 04:44 PM
I have to second (or third maybe at this point LOL) the ERGO carrier. I purchased one of these for our last trip when the kids were 2 year olds and it was perfect for us! It's completely soft so it fits in your suitcase/diaperbag easily. It disperses the weight across your hips and shoulders just like a framed backpack. We had a Kelty backpack before this, and it was very easy to switch over to this for us. Only difference would be needing another adult to help with the loading and unloading - it's possible to do alone, but I just didn't feel comfortable with it!

I keep this in the car and still have used it on occasion. We are BIG ERGO fans here!! :cheer2:

design_mom
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I agree with Teresa. I think you'd have to leave the framed backpack carrier with the strollers.

With the soft structured carriers, like the Ergo, you can wear them right into the line. We did two days at WDW when DD was about 22 months old and I didn't even take a stroller into the park. We just used the Ergo and it was great. It takes a little practice to get comfortable putting your child into the back carry by yourself. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy-peasy-mac-and-cheesy (that's a quote from my 6yo, BTW)

I still carry DD in the Ergo from time to time and she's 3-1/2 now.

moparop
09-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Yikes!! They are pretty pricey. Is there anywhere to pick one up secondhand? How different are they from a standard MT? We have one of those already. :headscratch:

tanyaandallie
09-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Go to www.thebabywearer.com. If you go to the their forums and go to the for sale or trade forum you can find lots of carriers for sale.

The soft structured carriers are similar to a mei tai. However, they are much more supportive. There are no ties. They buckle rather than tie. The waist band is really thick and super supportive. It sort of fits like a backpack.

We LOVE Our Beco, but if your dh wants to wear it, you might be better off with the canvas type material of the Ergo or Patapum.

RangerPooh
09-11-2007, 01:29 AM
We have taken our DD to the parks in our Kelty backpack and have had NO problems! Our DD loved to ride in her pack, and with the added sunshade it was a breeze. She was able to see the parades without people blocking her line of site, and no one was tripping over our stroller during heavy traffic periods.

When it came to rides and leaving it with the strollers or taking it with us it varied from ride to ride. If there was room we'd collase it and bring it along (the CMs were fine with this), but if it was a snug fit vehicle we left it with the strollers. We never had any issues when it was left with the strollers. Plus our backpack has a small pack on it that we were able to throw a couple of diapers, a small box of wipes, and a sippy cup into and we were good to go, so no additonal diaper bag was needed. To us this was a huge benefit.

Here is a picture of our Kelty pack. It's a neat version as it converts to a stroller when the wheels are uncovered and the handle pulled up. It didn't add any extra weight and was still very comfortable. An added bonus was that it is tall enough to double as a highchair when none are available (esp at counter service resturnats). We would frequently park it and tour a land (ie. Fantasyland) prior to returning to pick it up. But standard cariers should collapse much better than ours did for rides and such.

http://www.shopkeltykids.com/assets/product_images/200/100384000000000.jpg

If it was me, I'd take the backpack. Our DD loved her pack and it was never a problem on any of our trips that it was brought along. She was able to nap in it as she has on so many outings, he sunshade helped protect her from the sun, and the padded straps/waist belt were nice for DH and myself as it was compfy to wear. But then again, we're use to backpacking packs, so a kid was a breeze! Use what you and your little one are comfortable with, both familairlity and comfort for the two of you.

KteaRN
09-11-2007, 01:44 PM
I have a couple questions:
-Is your DH comfy wearing the frame pack?
-Will your DS sleep in it?
- Does it calm your DS?

I'll tell you why. I just got (a few months ago) an Ergo, and although it was pricey, it was worth every penny, and the others the PPs have mentioned look very similar. My DD 17months loves it. She can get cranky/tired at times when I just can't sit and hold her, and I still put her in it around the house probably once a week. It can go either front or side or back, so if she's cranky she goes in the front b/c that soothes her better and she can fall asleep better. I keep it in the car so whenever we're out I can stick her in it if she needs it. I also have DS who will be 3 in a week, and weighs 32lbs, and I carry him in it too without any back pain.

I always have it with me, and use it quite frequently even when I have the double stroller with me. SOmetimes DD just wants to be held - and I love to be able to do that without killing my arms.

So back to Disney - the ergo type carrier will fold up so much more easily and is easy for DD to get in/out of frequently - you know how toddlers are - also once I have it on, I just let it hang empty around my waist if I think DD will be in it again soon - its not uncomfortable.

If you really like your frame carrier and you think the bulk is okay - I say use it. It just may be a little more difficult/bulky. Are you taking a stroller too?