PDA

View Full Version : Raglan Road's Bread Pudding

Dafnaf
09-07-2007, 09:56 PM
--

Maggi May
09-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't remember it having cinnamon, but if you have a concern over an allergy (or just not liking cinnamon :) ) I'm sure the restaurant staff would find out for you.

BTW, the bread pudding is incredible. Hope you get a chance to try it.:)

hoffman1
09-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I am kind of tagging on to this thread. I was wondering what it is like too. Does it have raisins?

flyball
09-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I don't remember raisins. I only remember that my eyes were rolling in the back of my head over how incredibly delicious it was!

Dafnaf
09-07-2007, 10:46 PM
--

Dafnaf
09-07-2007, 10:49 PM
ok that smily laughs way harder than I imagined

Dafnaf
09-07-2007, 11:06 PM
--

tinkandpan
09-08-2007, 07:41 AM
If there is- it is minimal as I hate cinammon and love the pudding. If it is an allergy, then i would certainly ask.

Mackey Mouse
09-08-2007, 08:11 AM
I am a huge bread pudding fan....for the life of me I cannot remember if it had raisins or not. However, I do remember it being a bit mushy for my taste and probably because I make bread pudding and like it to be more together and not so custardy....do not get me wrong, it was good.......but I do not remember thinking great.

stemikger
09-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I don't think so. That was really good, the meal itself was not. Here's a picture of it.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd157/stemikger24/DSCN2990.jpg

Cinders Mum
09-08-2007, 09:51 AM
the caramel sauce and the creme anglaise (I think it is creme anglaise they serve with it) are what turns this good pud into a fab, dream making pud.

I have dreamt of this pudding for 2 years now ....LOL

Cannot wait to try it again on this trip, I hope it doesn't let me down

Val
xx

Luv2Roam
09-08-2007, 10:24 AM
I just ate it last Sunday. If it had cinnamon, it certainly not enough to really notice. But with all that carmel sauce and sweet cream, who would notice? :rotfl2:

lynninpa
09-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Just checked out the recipe in the Head Chef's Cookbook (which we just purchased! :cool1: )and there is no cinnamon in the pudding or the sauces. However, I now need to find mucovado and caster sugars if I am to make it according to the recipe. Has anyone ever heard of these sugars? :confused3

JohnathanS
09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Just checked out the recipe in the Head Chef's Cookbook (which we just purchased! :cool1: )and there is no cinnamon in the pudding or the sauces. However, I now need to find mucovado and caster sugars if I am to make it according to the recipe. Has anyone ever heard of these sugars? :confused3

Caster sugar is a superfine granular sugar. I use it to make iced tea and lemonade because it dissolves readily in cold liquid. I find it at Whole Foods or at Fresh Market. Muscovado sugar is sugar in the raw, like Turbinado sugar. Big brown crystals. I use it on top of creme brulee...it torches very nicely!

Hope that helps! :)

lynninpa
09-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Caster sugar is a superfine granular sugar. I use it to make iced tea and lemonade because it dissolves readily in cold liquid. I find it at Whole Foods or at Fresh Market. Muscovado sugar is sugar in the raw, like Turbinado sugar. Big brown crystals. I use it on top of creme brulee...it torches very nicely!

Hope that helps! :)

Thank you! :thumbsup2 I am familiar with "superfine" and "raw" sugar-guess the names just threw me off. :rolleyes:

doconeill
09-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Just a point of order - bread pudding and bread and butter pudding (what RR has) is not the same thing.

I can best describe B&BP as layers of french toast and raisins densely packed and baked instead of fried, with a sauce or two poured over it. I can't say for certain that the RR version had raisins, but I believe it did.

They can often be similar in presentation and even sauces I believe, but prepared very differently and can have different ingredients.

2manypets
09-08-2007, 02:28 PM
It definitely had raisins in it. I can't stand raisins, but didn't mind them so much in Grer's Bread & Butter Pudding. They added that extra umph that was perfect with it. I'm drooling just thinking about it.:worship:

TWyn
09-08-2007, 04:26 PM

May I ask the name of the Head Chef and the name of his cookbook? I'd like to pick it up, too. Did you buy it there, or in a bookstore? Thanks!

lynninpa
09-08-2007, 04:45 PM
May I ask the name of the Head Chef and the name of his cookbook? I'd like to pick it up, too. Did you buy it there, or in a bookstore? Thanks!

Kevin Dundon's cookbook is entitled, "Full On Irish: Creative Contemporary Cooking." ($30.00) We ordered it from Barnes & Noble although it is available at RR. We are very exciting to try some of the recipes as we just loved our visits to RR. :upsidedow

lynninpa
09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Does it have raisins?

According to the Head Chef's cookbook, the raisins are soaked in Irish Mist Liqueur. ;)

2manypets
09-08-2007, 06:03 PM
According to the Head Chef's cookbook, the raisins are soaked in Irish Mist Liqueur. ;)

Hmm, no wonder I didn't mind them. :laughing:

lynninpa
09-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Hmm, no wonder I didn't mind them. :laughing:

:lmao: Good point!
After reading this post and thinking of all the yummy things we have had in Disney, , I just started a new thread: "The 'Official' Disney Recipe Exchange" where I will post RR's Head Chef's recipe for the Bread & Butter Pudding as soon as I get the chance. ;)

2manypets
09-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Good idea, LynninPa, I can't contribute because I'm a 4 ingredients or less type of cook, but I'd love to see how it's made :thumbsup2

Dafnaf
09-08-2007, 08:02 PM
--

lynninpa
09-08-2007, 08:10 PM
so now you're saying there's liqueur in the dish? How dominant is it? I don't like liqueur.

Not to worry! We have ordered the B&B Pudding several times and we were all very surprised to see that any liqueur was in the recipe. If you didn't know it was there, I doubt anyone could pick up on it. :upsidedow

doconeill
09-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Not to worry! We have ordered the B&B Pudding several times and we were all very surprised to see that any liqueur was in the recipe. If you didn't know it was there, I doubt anyone could pick up on it. :upsidedow

I had no idea about the Irish Mist either, and I can taste whiskey (don't particular like it myself, although I did sip a Jamesons shot while I was there...)

english rose 47
09-08-2007, 11:25 PM

I think Disney Jo can correct me if I'm wrong Castor sugar is regular sugaras opposed to 10X do not have a clue about mucovado!!

TWyn
09-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Kevin Dundon's cookbook is entitled, "Full On Irish: Creative Contemporary Cooking." ($30.00) We ordered it from Barnes & Noble although it is available at RR. We are very exciting to try some of the recipes as we just loved our visits to RR. :upsidedow

Thank you so much! I'll be picking up a copy while I'm down there. :)

Mackey Mouse
09-09-2007, 07:46 AM
The sugars you asked about can sometimes be found at your grocery store in the bakery section......Also at Stop and Shop, they have sections divided ethnically and sometimes you can find these in the English/Irish area, maybe your market might do that.

I bet Williams Sonoma online but sell them too or one of their stores.....when I visited London it was interesting to get use to using that sugar in my cappucino....

JohnathanS
09-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I think Disney Jo can correct me if I'm wrong Castor sugar is regular sugaras opposed to 10X do not have a clue about mucovado!!

Caster sugar is in fact regular, granular sugar (it is *not* powdered sugar), but it is a much finer grain.It's sometimes called superfine. You can make it yourself really, just wizz some regular sugar in a food processor.

Looking at the recipe, I'm not sure why it would even need to be caster sugar. It's being used to make a custard which I always make with regular old sugar to do the same thing...it may be a UK thing ;)

jenelope
09-10-2007, 10:23 AM
For the record, the golden sauce is butterscotch, not caramel. Caramel would be too overpowering for that pudding, but butterscotch is perfection. The other sauce is custard sauce, which is plain English for "creme anglaise." I like to do as I was instructed by my first Raglan Road server: dig a little hole in the pudding and pour in equal measures of both.

How on Earth am I going to survive without Ger's Bread and Butter pudding this trip? It's the first WDW trip I've not gone to Raglan Road since they opened.