PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my new stroller

Redbudlover
09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Please tell me I don't have to worry about this! I just bought a new lightweight Peg Parego stroller for our upcoming WDW trip with my 19 month old DGD. I love it. It has all the little things I wanted - ease of movement, tray, multiple reclining positions, etc etc. And it is MINT GREEN! :cool1: For obvious reasons... But I just read a thread about some father of two kids trying pick the pocket of another guest.:eek: So now I am all worried about leaving my brand new mint green lightweight wonderful stroller parked with dozens of others and coming back and finding it gone.:headache:

What do you think, people? I am wondering if I should have some kind of ID carved into into it or something. Has anyone put a permanent ID on a stroller? What did you use? Do you think I am worrying needlessly about this? I never worried about it before at WDW...

3littleHalls
09-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I would go with the obvious security of it....don't leave anything valuable in it. I too have had the same concerns. I paid a lot of a Maclaren double stroller and would have been very upset to see it stolen and then been extremely upset about not having a stroller for my children to finish the vacation. I have yet to have anyone steal it(knock on wood:rolleyes1 ) but I do have a large(8in circle) with a laminated green Mickey tied to my stroller. I don't know if it is a big deterrent but it makes it very easy to spot in a sea of strollers. If we leave it outside for lets say a meal, we have a bike lock and wrap it through the underneath of the stroller so it can't be collapsed.

Redbudlover
09-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I like the idea of a large identifier being tied to it - prevention being better than detection. And you use a bike lock? Do you use it when you go on rides?

blbh23
09-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I did read a post earlier that another person puts the bike lock through the front and rear tires. This way if someone wants to steal it they have to carry it away and that is going to draw attention to them so they'd be less likely to take it. This is what I plan on doing with my Joovy caboose sit n stand! I was nervous about it too!

dunbarfamily
09-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I put some kind of non-permanent identifier on it, like a ribbon or something, to minimize someone truly mistaking it for their own. If you want to do a permanent identifier, I've read here on DIS that people will take an address label, or just a piece of paper with name on it, and cover it with clear fingernail polish. They say it takes a lot of work to get it off. If you were concerned someone might take it on purpose, then I would go with a more permanent marking on it. That way, if you see your stroller later in the day, you could at least prove it was yours.

Really, just use common sense. Don't leave valuables out. We usually have 2backpacks, one to hold diapers, sunscreen, sippy cup, etc. and one that holds more valuable things, like camera, camcorder, souviners we didn't want to have sent back to our room, etc. We take the valuables bag on attractions with us, and leave the other with the stroller. We've never, ever had a problem with the bag we leave behind being messed with.

We've never had our stroller taken either. It has been moved, which caused me a bit of nervousness, but we found it soon after. The CM move them around to keep flow going.

Its easy for me to say, but try not to worry! There are gazillions of strollers at WDW, and it doesn't seem like its a huge problem with them being taken. I haven't actively searched for reports of stolen strollers, but I haven't heard of many thefts. I know it happens, but the chances are pretty small.

Hope this helps!

dunbarfamily
09-07-2007, 01:13 PM
I did read a post earlier that another person puts the bike lock through the front and rear tires. This way if someone wants to steal it they have to carry it away

Intersting idea. I wonder if that's "ok" with the CMs? They move the strollers around a lot, seems like it'd be a big pain for them to have to pick up strollers. Whatever works though, I guess, to make one feel better.

jamesmommy
09-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Intersting idea. I wonder if that's "ok" with the CMs? They move the strollers around a lot, seems like it'd be a big pain for them to have to pick up strollers. Whatever works though, I guess, to make one feel better.

I've heard of folks doing that too, and always thought it would just make it harder for the CMs to do their job. I have taken several higher end strollers, from 2 different Quinnys, to a Valco Runabout and our Beloved Mac Techno, and never lost a stroller, or anything in it (I never leave anything very valuable though, just drinks or a cooler, sunscreen, and possibly rain covers or rain ponchos. Of course, since we still use our Techno all the time, I could have just jinxed myself.

DisneyPhD
09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Never locked our or worried about it while at WDW (other places like the mall, but not Disney.)

We have a peg pergo double, so it isn't cheap. I see bug a boo ones there all the time. Those are $$, someone would take that 1st. :laughing: Seriously I don't think it is an issue at all, but don't leave cameras and other things like that in them.

Redbudlover
09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
I feel a lot better now. I had not considerred worrying about it until I read the post about the pick pocket. A couple of years ago I was there in an ECV and worried about that and it was no trouble....

crazywig
09-07-2007, 04:45 PM
well you'll see me there with the same Pliko lite in mint :) (we're going at the same time) . last trip down i saw loads of them so yes put an identifier on it like tie some ribbon on the handle so you don't grab the wrong one.

i've never worried about my strollers there and i've taken pegs, all manner of maclarens, a p&t e3 and even my old quinny zapp :).

Redbudlover
09-07-2007, 04:54 PM
well you'll see me there with the same Pliko lite in mint :) (we're going at the same time) . last trip down i saw loads of them so yes put an identifier on it like tie some ribbon on the handle so you don't grab the wrong one.

i've never worried about my strollers there and i've taken pegs, all manner of maclarens, a p&t e3 and even my old quinny zapp :).

that is great news. All I could remmeber from my childless trips were rivers of black strollers. :rotfl: I will watch for you! Where are you staying? I will have to find something fun for an identifier....

katiebsmom
09-07-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm glad that someone else has these same concerns. I just bought one of those 3 wheeled jeep strollers with the mp3 speakers and a steering toy on it for DS and now I'm worried that it's going to be taken while we're on a ride. I like the idea of the bike lock on the wheels. I might only put it through the back two so that a CM could tilt it upward to move it only a few feet away. A thief, however, would look really funny trying to cart the stroller through the park on it's nose LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

SueM in MN
09-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I've heard of folks doing that too, and always thought it would just make it harder for the CMs to do their job. I have taken several higher end strollers, from 2 different Quinnys, to a Valco Runabout and our Beloved Mac Techno, and never lost a stroller, or anything in it (I never leave anything very valuable though, just drinks or a cooler, sunscreen, and possibly rain covers or rain ponchos. Of course, since we still use our Techno all the time, I could have just jinxed myself.
If you lock it to something or lock all the wheels together, that would be a problem for the CMs.
I like the idea of the bike lock on the wheels. I might only put it through the back two so that a CM could tilt it upward to move it only a few feet away. A thief, however, would look really funny trying to cart the stroller through the park on it's nose LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
I have seen people do that and it's not a problem for the CMs since they can still move it if you only lock the 2 back or the 2 front wheels together.

tanyaandallie
09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I've been with both my Peg and my double Mac and had no issues. For the most part I think people are too busy to look through or steal your stroller while they are at Disney!! I just make sure we don't leave anything valuable (like the camera) in the stroller.

skoba-nelson
09-07-2007, 09:34 PM
We were very comfortable with our P3 (pink, some folks still ask how old HE is) at WDW. Even saw a Bugaboo or two in stroller parking. Now at Cedar Point while eating inside Famous Dave's far from said stroller we did lock it with a small bicycle-style cable lock.

Rustysmom
09-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I brought my Maclaren Quest when we went last week and nobody touched it. It is the Scottie Dog print that's kind of hard to find and I would have been upset if anyone took it.

I tied a big orange bandana on the handle and hung my LGMH off the stroller bag in the back. I also kept a backpack filled with non-valuable things in it and nothing was ever touched.

blessedby3
09-08-2007, 08:07 AM
We have been taking strollers to WDW for the past 17 years- never had one stolen. We never leave anything of value in the basket and always tie a brightly colored ribbon to the handle.

blbh23
09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
This is our first trip to Disney. I didn't realize the cms move the strollers. I'm glad I read this!! ;)

zoomouse
09-08-2007, 11:26 AM
We've strollered our way through life for a few years now, including 3 trips to Disney and never had a problem. I think that having someone accidently grab your stroller thinking it's theirs is MUCH more likely than actually having it stolen. My approach is to customize the rig just enough that there is no mistaking for someone elses. By the time I get all my extra cup holders and an obnoxious colored tag or ribbon on my Joovy Caboose, it looks like no other. The best part is how easy it is to find when getting off those rides where a CM parks it for you (Killamanjaro Safari). We also make sure the camera and tickets ride with us in a small bag - if someone needs the diapers and goldfish worse than we do they can snitch them from the stroller if they want. :cool2:

blbh23
09-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Zoomouse--Where'd you get the extra cupholders for your caboose? I have been looking for some to put on mine! :dogdance:

Redbudlover
09-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I am feeling so much better about the stroller now! Thanks people. Do you take the basket and tray off when you gate check it?

zoomouse
09-09-2007, 06:45 AM
blbh23 - There is a neoprene parent organizer available from Joovy - which is great - has a single cup holder and a couple pockets. I ordered mine directly from Joovy via their customer service number (1-877-256-5049) when I ordered replacement rear wheels before our last WDW trip. They are very helpful and friendly. I also added a couple extra cup holders (each kid needs their own of course) by hooking on a couple water bottle holders that are designed for adding to backpacks. I got mine from the sale section of the LLBean website for a couple bucks each and just cable tied them on. Color coordinate and it'll look like it's straight out of the Joovy custom shop. :cool2:

Redbudlover - I've never had to take anything off of a stroller going through airport security (except the kids :eek: ). As long as it folds and fits through the X-ray machine you should be fine.

Iri920
09-09-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm bringing my Valco Twin and I bought a cable lock for it. I'm going to tie it throught the front wheel and around the nap bar. If they need to move it, they can lift it up and move it. I only plan on locking it when we're eating though as we'll probably be gone for a while. I also have to think of something to tie onto it so I can identify. I'm not leaving anything valuable in it, I'm just afraid someone will steal the little fans of off it since I've heard of that happening. It's not like they cost a lot, but I'd be bummed if someone did that.

mommylicious
09-09-2007, 11:44 AM
We've taken everything from a double I purchased at a garage sale for $5 to a Rock Star Baby stroller (about $500) and never had a problem. If what I have is something I expect to see lots of (like my old Pliko I sold before finding out we were going to be surprised with baby #3) then I make sure I put something on it to make it easy for me to spot mine. To be honest I do it more to make sure that *I* take the right stroller and not stroller-snatch someone else's by mistake!

I've seen at least 2 Bugaboo Frogs (at least $700) and 2 Bugaboo Camelons ($900) and a Stokke Explory (at least $800) all out and about and in stoller parking at Disney. Of course as my DH tells me, most people walking around Disney are not considering "stroller sighting" to be a fun little hobby and that most of them probably have no idea how much those strollers cost. ;)

OnTheBrink
09-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Of course as my DH tells me, most people walking around Disney are not considering "stroller sighting" to be a fun little hobby and that most of them probably have no idea how much those strollers cost. ;)

Oh, but isn't it one of the very best parts of going to Disney? Admiring all the strollers and baby slings and diaper bags is worth the ticket price alone! This should be listed on the "hidden treasures of Disney" type sites!

We'll just be taking our Mac Triumph. I'll have the Zooper Salsa in the car in case I need a backup with my 6 yo.

Redbudlover
09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh, but isn't it one of the very best parts of going to Disney? Admiring all the strollers and baby slings and diaper bags is worth the ticket price alone! This should be listed on the "hidden treasures of Disney" type sites!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

crazywig
09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
I am feeling so much better about the stroller now! Thanks people. Do you take the basket and tray off when you gate check it?

If you value your Peg, bag it. I always bag my strollers to protect them not only from breakage, but from any dirt/grime/misc. substances that might be in the belly of the plane :eek: . Peg makes their own bag but I don't have it, I put my P3 in my single Maclaren bag. I had to take the wheels off but it fit :laughing: .

If you don't bag it, then at least put the canopy in your carryon or checked baggage as that's the most likely part to snap off.

blbh23
09-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Zoomouse--Thanks so much! I snatched one up!

ehrn
09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I also had a blast stroller watching last week. There are so many from out of the country that we don't see here. And I'm just so intrigued by the Stokke--but I've only seen tiny babies. Most of the time I was just wondering how some people lugged those heavy monsters in and out of cars and such--those bugaboos are heavy!! Nobody touched a thing on my Inglesina Swift--not even the stroller fan or misters we left in there--but I can tell you it was never in the same place we left it, they were constantly moving the strollers. It really helped to tie a bandana to the handle. I used 1lb. wrist wts over the front tires and the only tip we had was at the airport when we had about 4 full bags hanging off the back.
For those using locks--it sounds like a good idea but there's so much in&out of the stroller at Disney--I can't imagine bending over to lock and unlock so many times.
It just amazed me how many people used those cheapo strollers to push all ages of kid--my back HURT watching some really tall people stoop over to push them. I am a stroller junkie though.
And I saw another mom using an ergo! and saw a couple pretty pouches.
I never used the leash--luckily the crowds weren't bad and ds did a good job listening!!
We had a BLAST--hope you all have great trips too!

SueM in MN
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
If you value your Peg, bag it. I always bag my strollers to protect them not only from breakage, but from any dirt/grime/misc. substances that might be in the belly of the plane :eek: . Peg makes their own bag but I don't have it, I put my P3 in my single Maclaren bag. I had to take the wheels off but it fit :laughing: .

If you don't bag it, then at least put the canopy in your carryon or checked baggage as that's the most likely part to snap off.
We travel with a wheelchair, which is a lot more sturdy than a stroller. We take off anything that is easily removable because anything that could get caught is a potential place to get broken.
DD has had a piece bent on her wheelchair in the course of gate checking.

ehrn
09-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I have had the foam handles ripped on 2 different strollers on 2 different flights. Last week I bagged the stroller and wrapped the handles w/ bubble wrap. I also gave the canopy a spray w/Scotchguard. Maybe Jet Blue was a little more gentle, the bag didn't get as dirty as I expected!

lovesdumbo
09-10-2007, 06:38 PM

I always bagged my Pliko. I did use the Peg Perego Transport bag for it and did find it fit better with the tray removed but I did just put the tray in the bag. I was also able to put a jacket in the bag if needed too. It is a bit more work to bag the stroller but I always thought it was well worth the effort.

One way I would personalized my stroller to see it in the field of navy strollers at Disney was by hanging a kitchen towel (that you can put on your fridge handle or stove handle) on the stroller. It was nice to have a towel handy if needed and really did help to find the stroller.

In addition to the Pliko I've had both single and double MacLaren strollers and never had a problem. I would use a clear ziplock bag for things I left in the stroller so everyone knew there wasn't anything worth stealing in it.

Nom
09-11-2007, 08:03 AM
wow what a great thread! My dd will be turning 3 on this trip, but she is really large (like the size of a 5 yr old) so she is really uncomfy in the cheap umbrella stroller we brought on our last two trips. I was thinking of investing in a maclauren or peg because she would be so much more comfortable, plus we could use it for baby #2 in the future, but I was holding back because I was afraid it might get stolen at WDW. I think I will definately make the investment now- she looked so pathetic smooshed into that $15 umbrella stroller last weekend!

Any thoughts on the best stroller for a bigger toddler?

You guys rock- I am so glad I saw this thread!

lovesdumbo
09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
wow what a great thread! My dd will be turning 3 on this trip, but she is really large (like the size of a 5 yr old) so she is really uncomfy in the cheap umbrella stroller we brought on our last two trips. I was thinking of investing in a maclauren or peg because she would be so much more comfortable, plus we could use it for baby #2 in the future, but I was holding back because I was afraid it might get stolen at WDW. I think I will definately make the investment now- she looked so pathetic smooshed into that $15 umbrella stroller last weekend!

Any thoughts on the best stroller for a bigger toddler?

You guys rock- I am so glad I saw this thread!

The Peg Perego Pliko P3 has a running board on the back for an older child which may come in handy if baby #2 is in the stroller and your DD needs a quick ride.

I have both a the Pliko P3 and an older MacLauren. My kids are 4, 6 & 8. I was tempted to bring the Pliko on my last trip because it has the running board and stands when folded but in the end I just brought the MacLauren for my 4 year old and rented a double stroller in the parks for long days for the older 2. The MacLauren is lighter and easier to take on the bus. I also worried that the older would fight over who got to ride on the back of the Peg Perego at the resort and they really are old enough to walk at the resort so I went with the Mac. Both are great strollers.