PDA

View Full Version : OT-Potty training advice

2princesscuties
09-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Hi All-I have a 4yo DD who is developmentally delayed.I am currently potty training her right now and is very frustrating.I give her the last drink around 6pm,put her on the potty before she goes to bed but nothing.Pull-ups are evil!!!Her pedi.says to use cloth training pants,has anyone tried these?Should I just go cold turkey and put underwear on her?Any advice would be greatly appreciated:goodvibes

Mouse House Mama
09-07-2007, 06:46 AM
I hate to tell you but it doesn't matter what you put on her at bedtime, if she is not ready to be dry overnight she won't be. It doesn't matter if she is delayed or not. If her body is not giving her the signal to get up to use the potty she will not wake up and do it. It takes some kids until they are 9 to be dry overnight. I hate to tell you this but your ped is wrong. All undies will do is make more laundry for you when you are washing sheets everyday. Your child will be ready when they are ready and no amount of prompting is going to change that.

Sunshein
09-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Night time is really no big deal. No amount of "training" will get her dry through the night. You will know she is ready when she wakes up dry. I have gotten my daughters up and put them on the toilet asleep before I go to bed to avoid accidents. They tend to pee and I just put them back to bed afterwards. They never even remember it in the morning. I say if you are getting through the days with no problems, seriously don't sweat the nights. :)

mamita
09-07-2007, 07:17 AM
I feel your pain::::sad2: I'm trying to get my three year old potty trained, he is doing his pipi in the potty but I still use pull ups at night in case of accidents, with my eldest daughter what I did when she was about 4 was to put her to sleep in her underwear and placed one of those big sheets thigs they use in the hospitals in case patients have a leak:eek: you place it under her sheet so it doesen't move around and that way when she goes pipi she will feel wet but you don't have to get up in the middle of the night and have to change the whole bed you just take away the top sheet remove the hospital padding throw it away and have an extra clean sheet under that one.;) It worked for me. now if I could just get my little one to go potty for number two I would be so happy:)

mamita
09-07-2007, 07:19 AM
sorry, I meant you put it under her fitted sheet and that way it doesen't move around.

all4fun
09-07-2007, 08:18 AM
I agree w/Momma House Mouse. If its just night time training you're worried about, then it will happen when it happens. I really wouldn't worry about using pull ups at night at this point. Four is still on the young side (IMHO) for being night time trained for some kids. I support using just underwear during the day though. Doing that definitely helped my ds(4) along. He was also a late trainer and has actually only been fully trained the last 4-6 weeks. For some reason, the night time thing just clicked for him too and he doesn't need the pull up at night any more. I really wouldn't be all that concerned if he still did at this point though.

hth

PrincessHeart
09-07-2007, 08:49 AM
I agree with the other posters. My DD is 6 and is not dry at night. We use pull-ups. Some children are heavy sleepers and do not get the signal or thier bodies are not mature enough. If your DD is developmentally delayed, she really does need to be given extra time. My DS was dry at night before he was dry during the day - we nicknamed him the camel for his fabulous holding abilities. You could put him on the potty in the morning and he could sit there for 20 minutes before going. So it is nothing that you are doing/not doing. Your child's body is just not ready.:grouphug:

2princesscuties
09-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Thank you everybody for your advice.Most of the time she stays dry at night,and she also is a "camel"she could be on the potty for 20 minutes and still not go.I do put panties on her during the day,she has only had 1 accident with the panties.It just gets a little frustrating sometimes,thanks for listening and your advice:grouphug:

PrincessHeart
09-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I didn't realize you had a camel too. I thought it was at night. That is really hard, but I know you'll get through it. I read to my son on the toliet to pass the time. He also had problem with poop. He just did not want to do that on the toliet. If you want advice on that PM me b/c I'm not sure everyone wants to read about it! I actually have to ask him to this day "when was the last time you went" If he has to think about it - I just point to the bathroom.