PDA

View Full Version : New Palo Menu

GuardMusic
09-06-2007, 05:03 PM
I just returned from the Wonder... 9.5 hours ago. Palo began a new menu this week. I am posting images of the menu below, but am not sure it will be readable. Happy to anser any questions - if I can.

OH - don't worry - the Chocolate Souffle is still there!:yay:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z48/ghartler/DCL%20Sept%202007/100_0945.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z48/ghartler/DCL%20Sept%202007/100_0944.jpg

Gayle

inkkognito
09-06-2007, 05:16 PM
One BAD thing: Anyone notice that the famous filet mignon is now replaced by tenderloin?

One GOOD thing: We had the monkfish on the transatlantic, and it is sooooo good. I am very excited to see it as a permanent menu addition. Now if only they will start making peanut butter gelato on the Wonder...mmmmmm.

daisy112878
09-06-2007, 05:24 PM
oh no, No filet at least my dh will be happy b/c he loves tenderloin.

Laurabearz
09-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Ok now I am REALLY HUNGRY!

Thanks so much for posting them! I wonder if they will change the Magic's menu...

inkkognito
09-06-2007, 05:49 PM
I think the Magic's was changed as well. When we were onboard, the monkfish was offered as a special. We praised it highly, and they mentioned that it was going to become a permanent menu item. Since it's on the Wonder menu now, I'm guessing it's there too.

dahuffy
09-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I Loved the filet!!!!!

AmberDaClown
09-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Do you think this means they will change the menus in the main dining rooms as well between now and December?

cryssi
09-06-2007, 06:34 PM
mmm...I see pumpkin! LOL pumpkin gnocchi...yum...

is that traditional fish and seafood soup a white soup?

MCourtney
09-06-2007, 06:44 PM
No more carbonara?????:sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: think they will make it for me if I ask? (I am assuming the Magic has also changed menus)

Ilovestitch
09-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I think I'll get the Penne Arribiata when I go in October :)

Question: are the pizzas an appetizer? Do people usually order one pizza to share and then each an appetizers/salad?

Lauri
09-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Silly question, but aren't filet and tenderloin the same thing? Tenderloin is the whole muscle, filet is a cut of the tenderloin.

Ilovestitch--the pizzas are to die for. DH and I usually get one to split, and we order one with two different toppings to get to try more varieties. Then we will also get an appetizer and a salad each. (Hey, we love to eat :rotfl: .)

Lauri

eva
09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Silly question, but aren't filet and tenderloin the same thing? Tenderloin is the whole muscle, filet is a cut of the tenderloin.
Ilovestitch--the pizzas are to die for. DH and I usually get one to split, and we order one with two different toppings to get to try more varieties. Then we will also get an appetizer and a salad each. (Hey, we love to eat :rotfl: .)

Lauri

Lauri, I had the same thought as I was reading this thread.

arlinek
09-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, you both beat me to it. Filet, tenderloin ... ARE the same: filet is cut into the individual pieces normally from the whole tenderloin. It's appropriate to refer to the cut of meat either way. Filet is the most common way, however, to refer to the single portion.

tvguy
09-06-2007, 08:45 PM

Lauri

Yes, and no. Filet is the very ends of the tenderloin, the most tender portions. Tenderloin in the middle section, tougher, but by no means tough.

branv
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
OMG, I am absolutely swooning!! :love: What a wonderful looking menu, and a little more updated. Now how am I ever going to decide?

One question: can you remember if they were offering any new desserts?

eva
09-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Yes, and no. Filet is the very ends of the tenderloin, the most tender portions. Tenderloin in the middle section, tougher, but by no means tough.

You are correct. But I doubt that the "original" filet from Palo was a true filet mignon either. Here's the word from About.com:

ARTICLE
Filet mignon is considered the king of steaks because of its tender, melt in the mouth texture. A prime filet mignon can literally be cut with a fork. This beef cut can be quite expensive when dining out, but much more reasonable to make at home, especially if you purchase a whole tenderloin.

What is filet mignon?
Filet mignon is French, of course, with filet meaning "thick slice" and mignon meaning "dainty." It first appears in American print in 1899. Filet mignon comes from the small end of the tenderloin (called the short loin) which is found on the back rib cage of the animal. This area of the animal is not weight-bearing, thus the connective tissue is not toughened by exercise resulting in extremely tender meat.

The tenderloin term (also called chateaubriand) applies to the entire strip of tenderloin meat, whereas slices of the tenderloin are termed filet mignon. Filet mignon slices found in the market are generally one to two inches thick and two to three inches in diameter, but true mignons are no more than one inch in diameter and are taken from the tail end. Although this cut is very tender, the beef flavor is proportionately lessened; thus, it is often served with an accompanying sauce incorporating the pan juices.

5infam
09-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I have a silly question - Does Palo wrok like the main dining room - meaning if I like the lobster in the main dining room, I can ask for a second serving of it? I know that sounds piggish - and I probably wouldn't ask - but I like to knwo my options;)

Frankiesmom
09-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks Gayle! The new menu looks great! Thanks for taking the time to post! And You and I will be on the same sailing of the magic! I joined your thread today-I can't believe we are such a small group of DIS'sers! LOL Thanks again for taking the time! Angel

mom2dina
09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Yum!
I want to try two meals! It all looks so good!!

Do they let you order more than one main dish? dessert? at Palos? How about in the other resturants?

Ok I'm on a diet so right now I just want to pig out!!!

BubbaGrump
09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, you both beat me to it. Filet, tenderloin ... ARE the same: filet is cut into the individual pieces normally from the whole tenderloin. It's appropriate to refer to the cut of meat either way. Filet is the most common way, however, to refer to the single portion.

Yup! Worked in a butcher shop for many years. Once the "tenderloin" is properly trimmed it is cut into individual "steaks''. Filet mignons! We used to sell the small end(last 8 to 10 inches or so) as one piece and called it a " filet tail". Seasoned and cooked as one large piece rare to med rare in the oven they are AWESOME! I still buy these at a particular store here in So Cal and stuff them with diced mushroom and green onions and lots of my favorite seasoning! So juicy and tender! The reason we sold the end as one piece is because most people like large steaks circumference wise and the small end becomes flatter(less round) and tapers to a point not allowing you to cut those big round Filet Mignons that we are accustomed to! :thumbsup2

dragonflydreaming
09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh! Now I'm soooo hungry. I wanna be there right now!

I may call out "Palo! Palo!" in my sleep tonight!

Do you think DH will understand?????????

branv
09-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Yum!
I want to try two meals! It all looks so good!!

Do they let you order more than one main dish? dessert? at Palos? How about in the other resturants?

Ok I'm on a diet so right now I just want to pig out!!!

I've only been the one time, but I happened to tell the waiter that I couldn't decide about my entree. He asked, "what can't you decide btwn?" I said, "the gnocchi, the tuna, or the linguini" He said, "I'll bring you out some of all of them! And don'tcha know, he did! And this was after having some of the bread and dip, some shrimp pizza and the grilled portabello mushroom appetizer. I literally thought I was going to die. Of course, I asked for just a little sorbet for dessert...so of course he brought us out every dessert on the menu. I was still full the next day. :laughing:

I guess that also answers the above question about getting more of something...I'm not sure you'll have room! ;)

PurplePrincess4
09-06-2007, 09:47 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh! Now I'm soooo hungry. I wanna be there right now!

I may call out "Palo! Palo!" in my sleep tonight!

Do you think DH will understand?????????

WELL SAID.....my mouth is watering! I can't wait!

Mickeyhugger
09-06-2007, 09:50 PM
The tenderloin runs along either side of the spine, and is usually harvested as two long snake-shaped cuts of beef. The tenderloin is sometimes sold whole. If the short end of the tenderloin is cut into portions before cooking, that portion is known as Filet Mignon, or the filet, from the French boneless meat (mignon meaning "small" as true mignons are cut from the smaller tail end of the tenderloin).

Rob:thumbsup2

woody73
09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
. . . Do they let you order more than one main dish? dessert? at Palos?
Yes, and tip accordingly.

Woody

disney6
09-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Just came back from the 3 night Wonder (Aug 30-Sept 2) and ate at Palo's 2 nights! The Quattro Formaggio (sp?) was to die for! We ordered one to split (between 6 of us) and then an appetizer each. We did the same the next night with the Bianco pizza but all of us preferred the first pizza. The veal scallopini was GREAT! The Monk Fish was GREAT! The service was GREAT! (and we did tip accordingly both nights!)

mom2dina
09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Yes, and tip accordingly.

Woody

For that kind of food and service we will!

101DalmFan
09-06-2007, 11:18 PM
You can eat as much as you want :)

My girlfriend and I shared 3 appetizers, 3 dinners, and the waiter tried to get us to order more than one dessert, but at that point we said uncle and just went for a souffle each :)

LoriS
09-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I think the new menu looks great. I picked a pasta, a fish and a meat entree. LOL

dclgirl
09-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Looks incredibly tasty! I can't wait to try it. I had a hard time deciding between some things, so maybe I can get a little of each (I hope they won't bring full entrees of each dish, except dessert!:rotfl: :love: :cloud9: )

castoff
09-07-2007, 07:16 AM
I saw this article and found it interesting. This was dated this past May.

FDA Warning on Mislabeled Monkfish
Fish Believed to be Puffer Fish; Contains Deadly Toxin
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to buy or eat imported fish labeled as monkfish, which actually may be puffer fish, containing a potentially deadly toxin called tetrodotoxin. Eating puffer fish that contain this potent toxin can result in serious illness or death.

Tetrodotoxin is not destroyed by common food preparation or storage, such as cooking or freezing. Monkfish do not contain tetrodotoxin.

The product was imported and distributed by Hong Chang Corp., Santa Fe Springs, Calif.

Consumers concerned that they may have purchased this fish should contact their retailer and ask if the product was received from Hong Chang Corp.

The product should not be eaten, it should be thrown away. Care should be exercised in handling the fish, as the tetrodotoxin may be present on the skin and flesh of the fish. Consumers should wash hands thoroughly after handling the fish.

Two people in the Chicago area became ill after consuming homemade soup containing the fish. One was hospitalized due to severe illness.

FDA's analysis of the fish confirmed the presence of potentially life-threatening levels of tetrodotoxin.

Initial symptoms of tetrodotoxin poisoning occur 30 minutes to several hours after food containing the toxin is consumed. Tetrotoxin poisoning is characterized initially by tingling of the lips and tongue. Tingling of the face and extremities and numbness follow. Subsequent symptoms may include headache, balance problems, excessive salivation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Consumers experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical care and are encouraged to report their illness to local health authorities. In severe cases, muscles can become paralyzed, and death may follow from respiratory muscle paralysis.

A total of 282 22-pound boxes labeled as monkfish were distributed to wholesalers in Illinois, California and Hawaii beginning in September 2006. These fish were then sold to restaurants or sold in stores. In one instance, the retailer labeled the fish as "bok," the Korean name for puffer fish.

The white 22-pound boxes were labeled in black ink. One box panel is labeled as: "FROZEN MONKFISH GUTTED AND HEAD-OFF" and "PRODUCT OF CHINA." A second panel bears nutritional facts and the following: "Ingredients: Monk fish; Imported by: Hong Chang Corp, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670; Product of China (P.R.C.)." A third panel has a checkbox indicating the size as either "0.5-1" or "1-2" and shows the net weight as 22 pounds. There are no manufacturing codes on the box. The fish in the box are individually wrapped in plastic bags with no labeling.

FDA allows puffer fish to be imported into the United States only under strict provisions that minimize the risk of the toxin being present in the fish. The recalled fish were not imported in compliance with those restrictions. FDA is examining all entries from the Chinese supplier and will take additional action, if warranted.

Sarnia
09-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Just came back from the 3 night Wonder (Aug 30-Sept 2) and ate at Palo's 2 nights! The Quattro Formaggio (sp?) was to die for! We ordered one to split (between 6 of us) and then an appetizer each. We did the same the next night with the Bianco pizza but all of us preferred the first pizza. The veal scallopini was GREAT! The Monk Fish was GREAT! The service was GREAT! (and we did tip accordingly both nights!)We were on the Wonder from Aug 30-Sept 2 as well, and also ate in Palo 2 nights in a row:thumbsup2

We ate there on the 2nd night and enjoyed it so much we booked there and then for the 3rd night!

We both had the new veal dish on the first night and it was fantastic.

needAcruise
09-07-2007, 09:35 AM
For some reason I cannot see the menu!

Does anyone know if it is posted on another site like *****************?

I wanna drool too!

CastawayJP
09-07-2007, 10:06 AM
We are looking forward to eating at Palo for the first time in November and this makes the anticipation even greater!

disneyfan551
09-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I Loved the filet!!!!!

Me too! I was SO looking forward to it in 2 more weeks! :guilty:

JBush
09-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Some of you mentioned dining at Palo for dinner more than once. How is that possible? I was told when making my reservations online that you could only dine once for dinner and once for brunch on the four night cruise. Did you get on the wait list once you boarded or reserve it online precruise? I would love the have dinner there more than once if possible so I thank you for your help.

AhoyCaptainMickey
09-07-2007, 02:07 PM
thanks for the new info:thumbsup2

disney6
09-07-2007, 02:20 PM
If there are reservations available you can book again. We called from the pool phone on the 3rd night and they said, sure, come on up anytime! Yeah! Just ask once you get on board. They definatly try to let everyone have a shot at going but if they are not full........

Sarnia - I don't know what time you were there but I hate to admit we were they loud ladies (6 moms with no kids or husbands on board with us) on the 2nd night (we were there from 6pm to 10:15pm! - lots of eating, beverage consumption and laughing!). Then it was fireworks and down to the karaoke - fun night. The last night we were just a bit mellower - floating ALL day at Castaway sure wears you out! :goodvibes

carole88
09-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Thank God the calamari is still on the menu. We are staying in a cat. 1 next summer and will be able to order room service from Palo. My older DD has been dying to try the calamari as we always rave about it. Both my girls also want to try the chocolate souffle. Can't wait!

JBush
09-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks so much to all of you for your input. I thought that I knew the rules but did not want to miss out on any opportunity to dine at Palo!

salbythec
09-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I am so glad the rack of Lamb is still there!!!:cool1:

101DalmFan
09-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Ditto my relief that the calamari is still there. Best I've ever had, soooo tender :)

happymommy
09-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I noticed some of the red wine bottle prices are a bit steep. We have the REAS, and it includes a premium bottle of wine at Palo. I don't know if there is a price limit on that, but some are over $100? Anyone had experience with this? We love red wines.

happymommy
09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
bump

JBush
09-12-2007, 06:17 PM
We are planning to get the premium wine packgae and wondered if it would include a few of the bottles that are exclusive to Palo. There is only one red that is on the premium package that is served at Palo. Also, can you order wines that are on the regular Disney Wonder list but are not on the Palo wine list? Thank you.

coastgirl
09-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow. Ok, the kids had better like that club!! The appies/pastas look amazing, it will be hard to decide. THanks!

lg3
10-02-2007, 01:52 PM
I noticed some of the red wine bottle prices are a bit steep. We have the REAS, and it includes a premium bottle of wine at Palo. I don't know if there is a price limit on that, but some are over $100? Anyone had experience with this? We love red wines.

We had the REAS package. Our server at Palo gave us the wine list (from the packages, the one pictured on this thread) and said we could choose one bottle, and it could come from either side. We went with the Chianti, as it is one of the few wines both dh & I enjoy. :goodvibes

WIFamily
10-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I saw this article and found it interesting. This was dated this past May.

FDA Warning on Mislabeled Monkfish
Fish Believed to be Puffer Fish; Contains Deadly Toxin
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to buy or eat imported fish labeled as monkfish, which actually may be puffer fish, containing a potentially deadly toxin called tetrodotoxin. Eating puffer fish that contain this potent toxin can result in serious illness or death.

Tetrodotoxin is not destroyed by common food preparation or storage, such as cooking or freezing. Monkfish do not contain tetrodotoxin.

The product was imported and distributed by Hong Chang Corp., Santa Fe Springs, Calif.

Consumers concerned that they may have purchased this fish should contact their retailer and ask if the product was received from Hong Chang Corp.

The product should not be eaten, it should be thrown away. Care should be exercised in handling the fish, as the tetrodotoxin may be present on the skin and flesh of the fish. Consumers should wash hands thoroughly after handling the fish.

Two people in the Chicago area became ill after consuming homemade soup containing the fish. One was hospitalized due to severe illness.

FDA's analysis of the fish confirmed the presence of potentially life-threatening levels of tetrodotoxin.

Initial symptoms of tetrodotoxin poisoning occur 30 minutes to several hours after food containing the toxin is consumed. Tetrotoxin poisoning is characterized initially by tingling of the lips and tongue. Tingling of the face and extremities and numbness follow. Subsequent symptoms may include headache, balance problems, excessive salivation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Consumers experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical care and are encouraged to report their illness to local health authorities. In severe cases, muscles can become paralyzed, and death may follow from respiratory muscle paralysis.

A total of 282 22-pound boxes labeled as monkfish were distributed to wholesalers in Illinois, California and Hawaii beginning in September 2006. These fish were then sold to restaurants or sold in stores. In one instance, the retailer labeled the fish as "bok," the Korean name for puffer fish.

The white 22-pound boxes were labeled in black ink. One box panel is labeled as: "FROZEN MONKFISH GUTTED AND HEAD-OFF" and "PRODUCT OF CHINA." A second panel bears nutritional facts and the following: "Ingredients: Monk fish; Imported by: Hong Chang Corp, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670; Product of China (P.R.C.)." A third panel has a checkbox indicating the size as either "0.5-1" or "1-2" and shows the net weight as 22 pounds. There are no manufacturing codes on the box. The fish in the box are individually wrapped in plastic bags with no labeling.

FDA allows puffer fish to be imported into the United States only under strict provisions that minimize the risk of the toxin being present in the fish. The recalled fish were not imported in compliance with those restrictions. FDA is examining all entries from the Chinese supplier and will take additional action, if warranted.

Boy, I sure am tired of hearing / reading about safety problems with imported goods from China. I wish our government would do something to enforce the safety protections that we have. Perhaps this is why it's so "cheap" to outsource, and import goods...

Luckymommyx2
10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm just happy the Banfi and the chocolate souffle is there!! :love:

lg3
10-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Wow. Ok, the kids had better like that club!! The appies/pastas look amazing, it will be hard to decide. THanks!

I had the same fear - that dd wouldn't like the club and all our Palo dreams would be dashed. When she went into the club that night I mentioned to the CM's that we were going to Palo and they asked what time our ressie was for and made a note of it - perhaps to work really hard to make sure we didn't get paged? Thank goodness she absolutely adored the club and didn't want to leave, so we had a great evening - the best of the whole cruise - I think it is what convinced dh to rebook!

SideshowBob
10-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Looks GREAT!

One more thing to look forward to later this month!

CraftyMouse
10-02-2007, 04:45 PM

Even if they don't love the club they'll survive there. Just let them know that mom & dad have a special dinner to go to and you'll be back afterwards. They'll be fine and you'll have one of the best meals on the ship. Enjoy!

coastgirl
10-02-2007, 09:06 PM
I had the same fear - that dd wouldn't like the club and all our Palo dreams would be dashed. When she went into the club that night I mentioned to the CM's that we were going to Palo and they asked what time our ressie was for and made a note of it - perhaps to work really hard to make sure we didn't get paged?

Good tip, thanks! I'll be sure we mention it! ;)

Andrew DEREK UK
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Thank you for the info

ibouncetoo
10-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm just happy the Banfi and the chocolate souffle is there!! :love:

Oh, I am SO with you on that!

alexcturner
10-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Some of you mentioned dining at Palo for dinner more than once. How is that possible? I was told when making my reservations online that you could only dine once for dinner and once for brunch on the four night cruise. Did you get on the wait list once you boarded or reserve it online precruise? I would love the have dinner there more than once if possible so I thank you for your help.

I just returned from the Wonder... 9.5 hours ago. Palo began a new menu this week. I am posting images of the menu below, but am not sure it will be readable. Happy to anser any questions - if I can.

OH - don't worry - the Chocolate Souffle is still there!:yay:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z48/ghartler/DCL%20Sept%202007/100_0945.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z48/ghartler/DCL%20Sept%202007/100_0944.jpg

Gayle

Hi Gayle, I do have a question, but not about the menu. Do you know if Corrina (a server in Palo) was there last week?
Thank you!

Tink rules
10-06-2007, 12:54 AM
bump!!!

Mickeyhugger
10-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I can not wait for our Palo diner (44 days and counting) I have been looking at the menu and all ready know what to order:thumbsup2

Rob

scm
10-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Does anyone recall if the vintages are listed elsewhere? It is odd that they are not specifically noted on the menu...hard to compare values especially among the Super Tuscans.

I forgot to ask if it has been confirmed that this menu is offered on Magic?

CraftyMouse
10-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I can not wait for our Palo diner (44 days and counting) I have been looking at the menu and all ready know what to order:thumbsup2

Rob

Just remember that this menu is not on the Magic yet. It's only on the Wonder. A recent poster mentioned that the Magic is still using the old menu so I hope the things you picked out are there! If not there are lots of good things to choose from.

metzfan64
10-07-2007, 04:41 PM
it's Palo...no matter what, how can it be bad!

CraftyMouse
10-07-2007, 06:04 PM
it's Palo...no matter what, how can it be bad!

Completely agreed! I just didn't want Rob to get his mouth set for an item that wasn't available. That could ruin everything!