PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers

donald#1
09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
We are so excited about our upcoming trip in October. We made our ADRs a few months back. My wife recently joined weight watchers and she is really doing well with it. She wants to stay on track as best she can during our stay. Is there any information on the boards or other web sites that you know of relative to weight watchers and disney restaurants, such as which are the best restaurants or listings of points for menu items?

FormrCastMbr
09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi! I am currently on WW and have been on it in the past. I would suggest that your wife do some of the things that WW teaches at the meetings when going out to dinner (basically portion control and smaller portions):

For an appetizer: Have a broth based soup or salad with light dressing on the side

For dinner: Chose a lower fat entree and do not eat the entire thing (restaurant portions are 2 - 3 times the normal serving)

Dessert: Choose fruit or share a dessert...

By the time you both go to the World, I am sure your wife will know what are the better choices. I am not sure that you would find any nutritional info for Disney restaurants but you can ask to see if they will prepare lower fat foods...

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

Amy&Dan
09-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Check out the WISH (we're inspired to stay healthy) Board here on disboards.

I am a Weight Watcher and when I go to WDW, I don't really count points. I drink my water, the walking certainly helps and I try to order as many plain steak and chicken items as I can. The cs places tout the meals with the fries, however you can get a burger and drink without fries and they knock off something like a dollar. If you are on the DDP, just ask your meal to have carrots subbed for fries. Meal sharing is always an option at any cs plase or non buffet table service place. That helps a ton. The portions are large, too large in my opinion.

If your wife wants to count points, then I would think that she can look at the menu's on Allearsnet.com. She can see the places you are going, think about what she wants to order and then go over to the Weight Watchers site (or use one of the food companion/dining out companion books) and compare similar items at other more well known restaurants. For example a plate of spaghetti and meatballs at say Tony's in the Magic Kingdom will probably be about the same point value as a plate of the same thing at Olive Garden (and you can find their points online or in those books). A burger at Sci Fi will be about the same as a burger at Denny's and so on. She can take her points ruler to figure out points on packaged foods like the ice cream bars which have the nutritional info listed on them.

And at the food courts in the mods and values, I like the grab n go sections. You can get a simple deli sandwich, fruit etc., Way less points than a burger or other fried type meal. Also, there are fruit carts at all the parks that sell fresh fruit. And pickles which are about a zero point food and not a bad snack!

In the end, its just a finite piece of time. She's on vacation and even if she goes for broke and pigs out, she'll be back home in no time and her good habits will be there waiting! And the walking and swimming (if you do that at your resort or at a water park) really do help.

Have a great trip, definitely visit the WISH Board, its been a ton of help to me and there are plenty of Weight Watchers over there that can also help answer this question!

luvpooh
09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
DRINK WATER!!!
ask for items (meat/eggs) prepared w/out oil or butter, most places will do egg whites as well for b'fast. The people at Pop were so nice to me in Jan and made a delicious egg white omelet.
get a points calculator and bring it along for pre-packaged items
share treats/meals and don't feel bad leaving food on the plate
DRINK WATER!!!
eat all fruit/veg requirements, there are fruit/veg stands in the every park
get a pedometer to measure out activity points
DRINK WATER!!!

I've been back OP since June and am determined to do well on our Oct trip, even w/all the F&WF booths!
Good luck! :)

pumba
09-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I am on a diabetic diet and it is similiar to the amounts that my friend does on ww.....I have been to disney three times doing this diet and food does go fast in your system with all the walking and walking and walking we do....I do leave one part of my burger bread alone and I only eat four french fries.....I love fries and this keeps me honest..sometimes I order without the fries and eat a few on my hubbies plate....just have fun and drink plenty of water too.....
I have a pedometer this time to see how much we actually walk.....

Ron from Michigan
09-07-2007, 04:29 AM
My Wife is a lifetime WW member and from her experience it is possible to go to Disney and stay on WW. We share most of our meals ( unless it's somrthing one of us does not care for ). With all the food you get plus having a appitizer and desert once in a while this is very possible. We also drink lots of water each day. We always go and have what ever we want though, we just watch how much and when we have it. :)

valandemmy
09-07-2007, 07:36 AM
i have been on ww for over a year and have lost 120 pounds. here is a link to my webpage

http://freewebs.com/valeriecyrus/

honestly, i would tell your wife to enjoy her trip and not worry about the diet while she is there. vacations didn't make me fat, it was the other 360 days a year!!!!!!!!!!

OHLUVDISNEY
09-07-2007, 07:49 AM
honestly, i would tell your wife to enjoy her trip and not worry about the diet while she is there. vacations didn't make me fat, it was the other 360 days a year!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Congratulations! I attend weight watchers and have about 20 more to lose. Boy....are those last 20 hard. Your hard work has really paid off!

TheRealDoraExplorer
09-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Do you have reservations anywhere? Disney is fantastic about acommodating dietary needs. If you do, you can call ahead and ask the chef about what options they might have -- I've read stories about restaurants going above and beyond the call of duty to make dinner special for people.

Good luck and above all -- have fun! :goodvibes

smep013
09-07-2007, 07:56 AM
I am on WW and was in WDW on the DDP last month.
I got back and gained 1.4 pounds after 8 days in WDW.

Here is what I did while on my vacation:

I drank water (not as much as I do when I'm at home).
We brought Special K bars and low fat English muffins for breakfast and snacks with us to the parks.

I ate sensibly at lunch (salad most days, yogurt or apple for dessert, no fried food, etc.) One day I ate pizza at Toy Story Pizza Planet. It was good!

At dinner, I ate what I wanted. I have been on WW (this time around) since February and have lost 30 pounds. I get full pretty fast now. But I ate at all my favorite restaurants and most times, finished my meal (most times!). I also ate desserts at dinner. And they were yummy!

We also drank an alcoholic beverage each day.

The walking certainly helps.

Tell her to have fun. If she stays with the mental aspect of the program while in Disney, she should be okay, and will be able to get back on track as soon as she gets home.

Good Luck!

ssdeverell
09-07-2007, 07:57 AM
I am a lifetime member and I have been to WDW on free dining twice. I never count points while there and I really just eat whatever I want. In 2005 and 2006, I came back and had lost weight both times. The walking really counteracts what you eat. Plus, I am always glad to come back and start the plan again. After eating well most of the time, it actually gets old eating everything you want for an entire week.

I am sure your wife will be fine.

Have a good trip.

JSweetman
10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
For the WW/Disney veterans, what's a reasonable estimate for activity points you can budget based on a typical Disney park day (walking/standing/riding)?