PDA

View Full Version : Italian food where's the best?

LeahA
09-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Where is the best Italian food at? I'm open to all suggestions, from fancy to casual, etc....

luvpooh
09-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Kevin just gave a very favorable review to Portobello Yacht Club in Downtown Disney in last week's podcast.
I had eaten there several years ago (2001?) and enjoyed it (may have been the sangria, LOL) but I've always heard poor reviews of it since. Perhaps they have a new owner?

Horace Horsecollar
09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Perhaps they have a new owner?

The Portobello Yacht Club has been owned by Levy Restaurants (formerly called the Levy Organization) since it originally opened in 1989. See http://www.levyrestaurants.com/ for more about Levy Restaurants.

It's likely that there have been several different General Managers and several different Head Chefs over the years, and that can make a big difference.

luvpooh
09-06-2007, 01:50 PM
sorry, I knew that, even have their 'frequent flyer' card...my brain said chef, my fingers typed owner...:headache:

webray
09-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Haven't eaten at Portobello Yacht Club in a while, but it has always been wonderful in the past.

Lately we have been enjoying El Mulino over at the Swan resort. Very nice.

LeahA
09-07-2007, 08:28 AM
I thought I would try Portabello but I have heard so many negative reviews, and the restaurant is quite expensive for dinner, I didn't want to dish out the money for not a yummy dish!

Laugh O. Grams
09-07-2007, 01:13 PM
I thought I would try Portabello but I have heard so many negative reviews, and the restaurant is quite expensive for dinner, I didn't want to dish out the money for not a yummy dish!

Give it a shot! We ate there about a month ago and had, as always, a great meal. If you've looked at the menu, I'm sure you noticed that it isn't your conventional "red sauce joint", with chicken parm, penne ala vodka, spaghetti and meatballs and the like. The food at Portabello is a nice change of pace and the bartenders there are fantastic and extremely friendly.

LeahA
09-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Laugh O. Grams-

I'm not a picky eater at all, so maybe we will give it a try!

Horace Horsecollar
09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
This thread has largely turned into a discussion about the Portobello Yacht Club, but I can think of five table-service Italian restaurants at WDW:

Il Mulino New York Trattoria at the Walt Disney World Swan
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano at Disney-MGM Studios
Portobello Yacht Club at Downtown Disney
Tony's Town Square Restaurant at the Magic Kingdom
Tutto Italia at Epcot's Italy Pavilion (opening this month)

Other opinions?

KatMark
09-10-2007, 08:23 PM
We absolutely love Mama Melrose and ate there again last Monday. It is defintely one of our favorite Disney restaurants.

madcoco
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
If you have a car, imho two of the better spots in town are a short drive away. Christiniís Ristorante Italiano on Dr Phillips Blvd/Sand Lake Road and Antonio's in Celebration.

dyna
09-10-2007, 09:41 PM
We walked into Momma Melrosa's an right back out the door an went changed our ADR for our dinner Momma Melrosa's couldn't get past the smell inside the restaurant

We ended up over at the Yacht club Gallery where DH an I was much more happier.