PDA

View Full Version : Key West Conch/Trolley Tour Question??

5infam
09-05-2007, 01:54 PM
We just booked our excursions for our very first Disney Cruise over Thanksgiving. I had read here that people mentioned the Conch or Trolley were good to take as they give you a good overview of Key West. I also read that some folks talked of getting on and off the trolley as it went around, which is what I was looking to do. When I booked through DCL, the excursion states that either is a continuous loop and we can not get on or get off. Can anyone confirm this for me please? I looked into taking the trolley on my own, and the tickets are the same price as if i booked with DCL, but since I have never been to Key West, I am unsure if they will be easy to get to from the cruise terminal. TIA for the help!!!

Caitsmama
09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I had heard that too.. if you book thru DCL you can't get off the trolley.. but i am not 100% sure.
I just plan on buying my tix on their (trolley tours) site, and doing it alone. They are a great company, that i have used in another city before.. and would recommend them. Plus you can just buy the tix and print it out on your own.. One less thing for me to worry about.
Can anyone confirm if you can or can't get off the trolley on the dcl sponsored tour?

BTW- i have never been to KW either, but i know for a fact that the trolley stop is RIGHT close to the ship's dock.. very easy.

snelsonbrown
09-05-2007, 02:10 PM
We just booked our excursions for our very first Disney Cruise over Thanksgiving. I had read here that people mentioned the Conch or Trolley were good to take as they give you a good overview of Key West. I also read that some folks talked of getting on and off the trolley as it went around, which is what I was looking to do. When I booked through DCL, the excursion states that either is a continuous loop and we can not get on or get off. Can anyone confirm this for me please? I looked into taking the trolley on my own, and the tickets are the same price as if i booked with DCL, but since I have never been to Key West, I am unsure if they will be easy to get to from the cruise terminal. TIA for the help!!!

Can I ask a question? Why would you book an excursion in Key West when everything is right there where the ship docks - The Conch Train is a tour that is about one and a half hours and do not get off except at their gift shop - if you have small children, they will get bored - you can call them at 305-294-5161
Then The trolley you can get off and on for one charge and they are also at Mallory Square - everything you may want to do and see is in a 2 miles radius.
unless you want to go on the "other" side of Key West which is called new town - anyhow you can go to www.historictours.com/ and they will have both the conch train and trolley.
Just check it out and then make your decision as what you would like to do.
If I can help, just drop me a note.
Always
Shirley

5infam
09-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi Shirley,

As I mentioned, we had never been before, so I am not sure how big or small Key West is, but thanks for clarifying. I had already gone to the website you listed to check the prices vs. DCL and they were the same, so I figured if I booked with DCL, it would be easier (no having to remember to bring the tickets). That is when I noticed that through DCL it said you could not get on and off. If through DCL we can not get on and off then I will cancel it and go with the company direct.

As far as my kids go, they are 16, 8 and 5. I was concerned that they may get bored on the trolley, which is why we wanted to be able to get on and off so we could break it up a bit if need be. If that doesn't sound reasonable, or I am missing something, I would appreciate your expertise. Thanks!!!

CraftyMouse
09-05-2007, 02:31 PM
It is true that if you do the DCL Trolley excursion you cannot get on and off. I believe they fill a trolley with excursion participants (only DCL guests onboard) and just take the tour without making any stops.

It is VERY easy to get to the Old Town Trolley depot and I would suggest doing this on your own. I believe that if you buy your tickets on their website you get a small discount. We did this last time and it was a great way to see Old Key West!

Another tip...the Key West Aquarium is located right near the Old Town Trolley depot. We did this on a whim after our trolley tour and our kids (11 and 8 at the time) loved it! It is rather small, but very hands on.

Enjoy your cruise!

Caitsmama
09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification! I guess i will be booking this myself online.. :)

cockermom
09-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Another vote for getting Trolley tickets from the historic tours website. We saved a few dollars doing it that way and thoroughly enjoyed the tour. (Wish Trolleys were available at many more ports so that we could get an informative overview of the area without the additional beach and shopping stops.) Anyway, it's not far from the dock and convenient to so much in that part of town.

mog
09-05-2007, 03:43 PM
We are planning to do this in Key West, too. If I go to the website that Shirley mentioned (www.historictours.com) it looks like you purchase and print your own tickets. When we get to Key West do we just hop on the trolley at Mallory Square with those tickets, or do we need to stop by the trolley ticket place there to trade them in first. In other words is what we print the actual ticket or just a voucher for the ticket??
Thanks!

MissMet
09-05-2007, 06:37 PM
We purchased our tickets form www.trolleytours.com. We printed them from home & the print-at-home ones are the one you use that day, no need to trade them in. We went this route because that's the only way you can do it where you are allowed to get on off. DCL's doesn't let you get on & off & the Train, no matter what you can't get on & off. We love trolleytours we used them in D.C. & Boston, too.

snelsonbrown
09-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Seems like you got great advise here girlfriend - listen not even a turtle could get lost in Key West - You have Duval Street which is the main street and runs from North to south also known as the longest street in the world since it runs from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean and West is where the ships come in and naturally East is East --you will have a good time - watch the tee shirt vendors if you use a credit card - make sure you know the amount you are going to pay, check the slip before you sign and MOST important get that card back - they are kinda slippy and you are not dealing with local conchs anymore.
Take care
Always
Shirley

5infam
09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Thank you everyone for the tips. It sounds like I will cancel my ressie with DCL and will buy online instead. We were also interested in the Aquarium, so it sounds like that is right there too so this should work out. :thumbsup2

snelsonbrown
09-06-2007, 04:31 AM
The aquarium is right there next to Mallory Square - my gosh I can remember when I was a little girl I use to go there, but at that time it was free for all the conch kids - we were in and out of there always - once upon a time in the back, they would hold green turtles out in a pen they kept for when they would be brought in for slaughter, the ones turned over to the aquarium were too old to kill for food and the kids enjoyed petting or swimming with them.
Needless to say, that was over 65 years ago or so.
The Red custom house next door to the aquarium is also an awesome place of history.
Anyhow have a great time.
always
shirley

michboro
10-10-2007, 10:04 AM
If we used the trolley tour, would we have time to get off and see the Butterfly Conservatory? Would there possibly also be enough time to do the Pirate museum too?

MissMet
10-10-2007, 10:14 AM
If we used the trolley tour, would we have time to get off and see the Butterfly Conservatory? Would there possibly also be enough time to do the Pirate museum too?

I am doing the trolley tour. I bought the tickets from the website so I could get on & off. They said to ride it once through without ever getting off would only take an hour, so yes you'll have plenty of time to do both of these & still see everything. :thumbsup2

The trolleys are on a loop, so you get off, see everything you want to see at that stop, then go back to the trolley stop & get on the next trolley that arrives. Kinda like a city bus.

rgroves
10-10-2007, 10:16 AM
We're planning on doing the trolley and getting off at the Butterfly Cons., Lighthouse, Pirate Museum, and a few other stops. There should be enough time to do it all.

michboro
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I am hoping I could even add in the Hemingway House along with the Pirate Museum and Butterfly House.
I was reading in another thread something about the trolley only coming along every thirty minutes and you can only get on if the trolley has room and some people get off at the stop. I hope that won't be a problem.