PDA

View Full Version : OT Plastic Baby Bottles

stephen11
09-04-2007, 09:22 PM
My daughter has been using Dr. Brown's bottles for her little girl, who is now six-months old. Lately, there has been alot of bad press about the BPA chemical in these bottles and all plastic baby bottles. She is probably going to change to the Born Free Bottles - no BPA, but is worried about using the Dr. Brown's for the past six months.
Does anyone have any new info on this problem?
Thanks, Steve

thepeach80
09-04-2007, 09:37 PM
There are quite a few safe bottles out there, the Playtex drop in ones are and we use the Playtex Ventaire ones.

shmedly123
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
If you go to snopes.com it is a myth debunking site and everything on the site seems to suggest that a lot of the heat on the BPA bottles is stemmed from political reasons. I have two daughters (3 and 1.5), both used Dr. Browns bottles and I'm not too concerned. In fact I couldn't use other bottles such as the ventaire ones mentioned above for the first because she had digestive problems.

The organization that released this study is also the same organization that release a study on how disposable diapers were horrible and that everyone should be using cloth.

stephen11
09-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Thank you so much Schmedly. I had also read that the info was political and that this chemical has been used for over 60 years. It is just so alarming when these groups publish this type of news. As well as Dr. Brown's, they said Advent and Evenflow were also dangerous.

My daughter just loves the Dr. Brown's bottles and my granddaughter is thriving on them.

Your message was extremely comforting!!

Steve

JAM3
09-05-2007, 07:53 PM
About a year ago I did a lot of research on PVC on the interenet. It all started when DD had one bath book that was labeled PVC and the other PVC free. It made me curious as to what PVC was and how it related to DD health. After researching a bit we now try to avoid anything with PVC's in them. Here is one link that discusses different plastics. Safe and unsafe ones. It is just a website I found while looking stuff up myself, so I can not attest for its validity. But I did find the same information on other sites, I just like the format of this page. It has nothing to do with study you mention, but it does mention Dr. Brown bottles as bottles to avoid and gives you a couple suggestions of safe ones too.

http://www.healthobservatory.org/library.cfm?refid=77083

shmedly123
09-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Thank you so much Schmedly. I had also read that the info was political and that this chemical has been used for over 60 years. It is just so alarming when these groups publish this type of news. As well as Dr. Brown's, they said Advent and Evenflow were also dangerous.

My daughter just loves the Dr. Brown's bottles and my granddaughter is thriving on them.

Your message was extremely comforting!!

Steve

glad I could be of some comfort. I am glad to hear that your granddaughter is doing well with the feedings. It really was a struggle for awhile for us until our daughter settled into her feeding habits. I am just happy that both dd's are healthy and happy.

There is so much to worry about in this world the last thing we should have to worry about is something like this...now go have fun with your dgd and take her to see the mouse :)

stephen11
09-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Thank you Jam, we are doing more and more research on this topic and my daughter is changing to Born Free Bottles (BPA free) from Whole Foods (expensive)...

It's very scary to consider that a few years from now, we will hear that these bottles are also unsafe. I know she thought she was doing the very best by using Dr. Brown's..

Thanks for your advice...

tjlovespooh
09-05-2007, 09:13 PM
There are quite a few safe bottles out there, the Playtex drop in ones are and we use the Playtex Ventaire ones.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the playtex ventaire bottles do contain BPA. Basically, any plastic that is clear and hard contains that chemical.

We also used the Dr. Browns bottles for our DS throughout his first year and were scared to think of what toxins we had inadvertently exposed our precious baby to. Now that we know better we plan to do better with any/all future children. If we do have another baby, I'll be buying the born-free bottles - well worth the extra cost!

Here are a few links to more info on BPA in bottles:
http://http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-plastic3aug03,0,1828523.story?coll=la-home-nation

http://http://www.windsorpeak.com/baby411/bpa.html

Honestly, between BPA and lead in the toys - it's very scary to be a parent these days:sad2:

thepeach80
09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I think you're right, which if that is the case I need to contact my friend at the bfing store where I got it b/c they make a point to only stock PBA bottles. Hmmmm. They are also one of the best bottles for bfing babies and babies who have a weak suck so it's hard to get everything great in one bottle I guess.

JAM3
09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I am glad to hear that you will be switching bottles. Better safe than sorry is what I thought. I would hate to hear later down the road that the chemicals were making people sick and I did not do anything to stop my dd from ingesting them! It is crazy the amount of baby items that still have PVC's and other harmful chemicals in them. Most major toy co. are PVC free, but not all of them. I was disappointed to learn that one of DD favorite soft books, Water, Water, Everywhere by Baby Einstein ( a Disney company) was not PVC free.

Good luck with the switch, hopefully it will go smoothly!

NemoMOm
09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
OMG! The only thing that suprises me about this is that the FDA does not do anything about it. I was just about to change bottles too for the next one because I heard great things about DR. Brown. Guess I'll stick with what I've got. Thanks for posting this!