PDA

View Full Version : Napping and WDW

Dallas_Lady
09-04-2007, 06:12 PM
How do you handle naps with your little one? Our DD is a year old and takes a 2 hour nap each day. Some times she takes two shorter naps, it depends on what we're doing.

What's your personal experience with naps at this age? Do you lug everything back to the room? Nap in the stroller? Head to the resorts early?

Thanks!

blallred
09-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I have a 3 yo that takes a 3 hour nap everyday from 2-5pm. I structured our schedule around his so that everyone has a mid-day rest and will be refreshed for dinner and nights out at the parks. We are staying at Poly just so we don't have to waste a lot of time getting back to the room (we will be in either the Magic Kingdom or Epcot the most).

KSG'sDisneyMem
09-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I have a 3 yr old DGS and 18 mos old DGD. They usually nap 2-3 hours each afternoon, right after lunch. We will be there for 10 days beginning 9/6. At this time of year I STRONGLY recommend you go back to the hotel for the nap by mid-day. It looks like you will be there right after we leave and it is extremely hot in the middle of the day. Your best bet for your entire family is to get out of the parks during the hottest time of the day (around noon until about 3 or 4) and all of you be able to rest and cool off in your AC'd hotel room. You might find that you and your husband will also be able to nap. I am not usually a napper but last time I went alone with DGS (6 mos ago) I found that I was able to nap a couple of the days and if I did not nap I organized for evening/next day or just relaxed and read a book. It does wonders!! I booked any brunch/lunch reservations between 11-11:30 or we will do counter service on the other days at that same time to accomodate the schedule for the kids. September is a very hot/humid time of year at WDW. Sunscreen, water, gatorade, clear liquids are extremely important...oh and also a sun hat/glasses help too. Freeze juice/water/gatorade or whatever the night before and bring in insulated bag. Freeze water bottles for yourself and DH and place in your stroller cup holders (if your stroller has them). They won't stay frozen long and you will be amazed at how refreshing it is to sip off the water as it melts. Enjoy your trip!!

Stephres
09-04-2007, 07:41 PM
My kids are 5 and 8 and I look forward to naptime. You might find that you need the rest as much as your little one. I think it is a personal preference, but we have always enjoyed coming back to the resort, resting and spending time in the pool before dinner.

eyeheartgoofy
09-04-2007, 07:45 PM
We hauled everyone back to the room for a nap/break. By the time 1:00pm rolled around, we were all ready to take off our shoes, kick back and relax for a bit. It was also nice to get some peace and quiet after spending the morning in overstimulation mode!

amyhughes
09-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I would recommend a head back to the resort regardless if your child needed a nap or not!:thumbsup2
You will need your rest, so will your child b/c they are gonna be over stimulated! Also you will be overwalked, overheated, thirsty, and ready for some R & R.

Two hours of a nap sounds like the perfect time for you and your hubby to relax a bit, shower catch a nap yourselves and then be refreshed for the evening. You will also miss the heat of the day which is a great schedule for your little one. The parks also look BEAUTIFUL at night! And they usualy get less busy then as well! Good luck!

bzzymom
09-04-2007, 09:15 PM
DD was 11 months the first time we took her. She napped in her stroller. We did go back to the room a couple times in the afternoon and she would nap there. We went on Jan and we did EMH a couple nights. It got pretty cold. In the evening, I put her sleeper over her clothes, then I put her in her halloween costume, which was a fleece pumpkin that was full body that zipped up. Then I covered her in a blanket. She slept very well in the stroller.

katiebsmom
09-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Ditto on the mid-day breaks. I did this on our last trip with two five yo's and it worked out GREAT! I will never go commando again. I usually break at about 1:00 for the nap/rest time. The bigger kids get to enjoy water parks or the resort pool with Dad while little brother naps and everyone is ready for an early dinner between 5:00 and 6:00pm and then we're all recharged for EMH's or whatever the evening brings. IT'S WONDERFUL!!!

all4fun
09-04-2007, 11:00 PM
DS was not a great napper at home but when we were at WDW he fell asleep in the stroller and slept there for 2hrs every day! We used a kiddopamus Baby Shade (http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_bshade.php)w/our stroller to keep the sun out while he was sleeping. It worked great (although admittedly not the most attractive thing) ;) The times we headed back to the resort as soon as we entered our room he was wide awake so going back to the resort for some quiet time never worked for us. Go figure. I say play it by ear. Plan on going back but then again you may find you won't need to. I also think it helps to have a stroller that is comfy for baby. hth

mom_of_3
09-05-2007, 02:09 AM
When my kids were younger they were so excited to be at Disney they did not even get tired at the park. They would have a nice long day then when we went back to out hotel they would take a bath and knock out til the next morning.

G8RFAN
09-05-2007, 04:49 AM
We almost always head back to the resort for an after lunch break. Up until DS was 3, he would nap and we would either take the opportunity to nap or catch up on emails. As he got older, the naps got shorter and there were times where he would fall asleep in the stroller and we would get back to the room, lay him down and he would wake up. That got frustrating when your goal was to take a nap also. Now a days, if he naps for any amount of time during the day, he is going to be wired and will want to stay up late. So, we still take the after lunch break but now go to the pool or resort to escape the heat.

Elmo888
09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
If she'll nap most of the time in her stroller, you could stay at the parks. If you have one of those that will sleep anywhere, it might work.

It seems easiest with little ones to head to the parks early, have lunch at the parks and then head back to the resort at 1 or so. After nap, you can start with an early dinner (my DDs still needed a snack because it can take a while to get to dinner - keep that in mind), and then enjoy the parks in the evening.

With our 2 yo, we took the nap. She will never nap while we are out and rarely naps in the car. So, we went back to the resort. As it turned out, DH and DD6 needed the nap, too (and this was in January, so it wasn't hot!). I napped a few days, too.

Just count on about 4 hours, including the nap and travel time. If she needs to nap at the resort, just take the break because everyone will be much happier. Leave DH in the room, and go get a drink and sit in the hot tub. Or take a nap, too! You might find that you need one (or at least the rest).

wrighter
09-05-2007, 12:50 PM
We tried to get back to the room during naptime, but it wasn't always convenient. On our last two days, while at MK, my DH took DD1 to the TTC monorail and rode around in circles with her while she slept. It was air-conditioned and fairly quiet. He used this time to get caught up with colleagues, old friends, etc. This way I could stay and "play" with DS3 a little longer. I will add that we never stayed at the parks late, though - took it as easy as anyone can while at WDW.

everylastbreath
09-05-2007, 01:00 PM
When we were in WDW a few weeks ago with my DGS (2 year old) he would nap in his stroller, just don't forget that favorite blanket if your little one has one. Everytime we tried to get back to the hotel for a nap, he would get his second wind and would never sleep, so we just let him fall asleep in the stroller and look in the shops while he slept, to avoid keeping him in the heat. I would totally recommend buying a small fan at clips on the stroller (and bring extra batteries) to aim at them while they sleep, it get's very warm in the stroller so this at least provides some air circulation. Also recommend pulling a frozen Ice pack in the back of the stroller (in between the seat and frame, you will find a pocket) it keeps the stroller a little cooler. Got all these tips on this board. Don't worry, your little one will sleep when their tired, no matter where they are!! Have fun!:rotfl:

Marc A.
09-05-2007, 01:07 PM
My DW, DD (3) and I booked the Contemporary mostly for the whole nap idea.
We have it planned to be at MK and Epcot for the majority of the time so getting back and forth for an afternnon nap is a definite.
My DD takes at least a 2 hour nap a day, sometimes 3 hours.
Even when My DW and I went w/o the kids 2 years ago we still went back to the hotel to rest.
My DW can nap anywhere, anytime. I normally can't. But I still did and felt better at night for it.

DisneyBarlans
09-05-2007, 02:58 PM
We like to head back to the room also, but if we're not able to (DH hates to leave the parks) DS2 falls asleep in his stroller and we take turns sitting with him in the shade and taking the big kids on rides. If the whole family wants to relax in the air conditioning and going back to our room is not an option, we'll go in Hall of Presidents or Country Bears and relax and watch the show.:thumbsup2

bigbabyblues
09-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Go back to the room after lunch and take a nap.

GiGi30
09-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old and we will most definately be coming back to the hotel for naps. I think the reason you see kids having meltdowns is partly because they are so over stimulated and just flat out exhausted. Granted, this is our 1st big vacation since having children, so we will see what works best, but the most important thing you can do to keep everyone happy is to stay on the schedule you normally have at home.

LuvinDisney
09-05-2007, 08:30 PM
we have a 3 yr. DD and a 20 month old DS. this is our 6th trip in 2 years!! We always go back to the room. Disney is exausting no matter what time of year you go. We try to get out early, have lunch in the park and head back to the room at around 1pm. Last time we rented a car and stayed at OKW which was great because you parked right outside your room and walked in with sleeping kids if they fell asleep. My DH and I would also nap or take turns going to the pool. Kids don't take the best naps in strollers and IMO they shouldn't be out sooooo late anyway. Go to the room, put up your feet and relax!

srgibbs
09-06-2007, 12:12 PM
I think you have to look at your schedule as far as where you are staying and see what time your dinner is planned for. We have found that eating between 5-6 works best for our children. That way we can usually be seated right away even if we are early for our ressie. The times we have planned to have a rest break at the hotel our kids fall asleep on the bus back to the resort and are ready to go by the time we get back to the room. If you have an early ressie it is hard between traveling back to the hotel resting and getting back to your rest adr. I would say if you need a break go back to the resort but if your child will sleep in their stroller do that. We have been the past 3 years and naps in the stroller seem to work best for dd who is now 3. We live in the south so we are used to the heat so it does not bother our family to much and plus we figure we can all rest when we get home but we cannot be back at Disney!