PDA

View Full Version : Who did you book your cruise through?

bethie
09-04-2007, 02:12 PM
What agent did you use or did you book directly through DCL? I have been looking around for a possible Nov/Wonder 3 day cruise. I am just, like everyone, trying to get the best possible deal. Thanks so much!!

shruley
09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
I looked at a few different places, including Vacations To Go. I ended up at The Magic For Less, they seemed to give me the lowest price plus a $100 onboard credit. I've been very happy with the service, my poor TA calls and requests whatever new thing I decid I want. She's switched my rooms for me and the latest thing was requesting a table alone for dinner. It's nice not having to call and do all that stuff. I think I got such a good deal as this was a cruise they had "prebooked" rooms for and then were selling, so they probably got a discount and then passed it on... Their website is http://www.themagicforless.com/ They specialize in Disney, unlike Vacations To Go, which specializes in cruises. HTH

CraftyMouse
09-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I booked directly through DCL and always have...no agent for me!

Andrew DEREK UK
09-04-2007, 02:20 PM
I use DREAMS UNLIMITED, service is very good.

professorandmom
09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I book through DIsney then shop around for the best onboard credit (since that is all TAs are supposed to do)...once AAA then Dreams Unlimited
depends on lots of factors...for example Costco gives a store giftcard....that might be nice if you have a membership to Costco (or want to)
Barb

ndepaola
09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I am working with Michelle at MEI. I compared prices on DCL website, DU, and a couple of others and all of the TAs had exactly the same prices for the cruise I wanted. (They must all buy blocks ahead and then that is all they can discount them?) MEI gave me the $50 onboard credit that the others couldn't/wouldn't from the Disney Visa promo. (You can't get the DV credit if you buy a discount block room from a TA, I guess.)

Michelle has been very helpful and responds very promptly.

sja03a
09-04-2007, 03:04 PM
disney for the 1st cruise on 12/9/2007 and travelocity for 12/13/07. Travelocity was cheaper and gave the best on board credit ($100 for a 3 nighter).

dahuffy
09-04-2007, 03:05 PM
This is the 2nd cruise that we've booked with Debbie Lasher at DU. We now have a $600 OBC with them. :banana:

HLAuburn
09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
If you pretty much know what you want (date/cabin category), try cruisecompete.com. It's completely free and no obligation. You just enter your cruise date, ship, and category you want, and different TAs "compete" for your business by giving you prices on your cruise. It's all done online, and you just sign on to check and see the responses. Then when you're ready to book, you call the TA you pick! We ended up using cruisecompete.com and then booking through cruisevacationoutlet.com. Good service and the best prices I found.

ndepaola
09-04-2007, 03:10 PM
How did you get that much OBC??

I got quotes from a least 3 TAs (uncluding DU) and only one even offered an OBC and it was only $50.

Does it help to be a repeat cruiser? Or does it just depend on the cruise?

dahuffy
09-04-2007, 03:35 PM
How did you get that much OBC??

I got quotes from a least 3 TAs (uncluding DU) and only one even offered an OBC and it was only $50.

Does it help to be a repeat cruiser? Or does it just depend on the cruise?

This is for next years Eastbound Repo cruise,15 days in a Cat.6 It was originally a $300 OBC but when Disney raised the Panama Canal fees on us by $100 per person,Dreams doubled our OBC.

NJFabFour
09-04-2007, 04:01 PM
We booked a 4 night cruise on the Wonder for 8/08 with Small World Vacations (recommended by Mousesavers.com). We contacted them right after the price increase went into effect 8/5/07 and were still able to get the original price for the 8/17/08 sailing (though it was not available for 8/10). We saved $600 and get a $75 cash-back offer! :banana:

DVC Mike
09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
We researched and planned our cruise using the PassPorter guide to DCL, and then booked ourselves directly on the DCL web site. We didn't use a TA.

Kim&Chris
09-04-2007, 04:28 PM
We booked directly through DCL for our last two, and our upcoming two cruises. Maybe we spent a bit more $, but I just felt more comfortable dealing directly with Disney.

m4travel
09-04-2007, 04:41 PM
We rebooked while on our last cruise (no discount for suites), then transferred to Costco for their gift card.

Pansy
09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
My first cruise I won :yay: through a Disney sweep, so it was booked through Disney.

2nd I booked directly through Disney and the 3rd I went through DU.

BellePrincessBelle
09-04-2007, 05:48 PM
We booked through DCL direct. None of the TA's could come close to the price and the OBC's we're represented in thier prices so I wasn't getting anything for free. The quotes I got from Dreams Unlimited was $50 more than my quote from Disney and they were offering a $50 OBC so hum? I think I'll book on my own.

bethie
09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Thank you all so much. I am taking in every bit of info. Thank you, thank you!

Heather98012
09-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I know DU sponsors these boards, but I am getting SUPER frustrated! I had a price quote for a Mexican cruise, then decided on a Western Caribbean. I emailed them LAST WEEK (the same agent who gave me the first quote) & have yet to hear back. I know there was a long weekend, but it's almost the close of business here on the West Coast & I still haven't heard back. Assuming the price is what is advertised on their site, I'm ready to give a deposit....& yet, I can't get a response. I even emailed them again yesterday!

Anyone else have problems with them? I cannot for the life of me find a contact phone #. I may just have to go somewhere else. I'll try magicforless.com & cruisecompete.com. It's frustrating though, 'cause the prices on DU's site were the best, but who knows at this point. :rolleyes:

kerri0616
09-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi Heather:

We're first time Disney cruisers, and I kept reading raving messages about Dreams Unlimited, so I booked through them. When I requested a quote, there was someone's name attached. I sent in the deposit, and that was the end of all communication. The never emailed to tell me that I had a Disney confirmation number. They only sent me bulk email to tell me that my balance was due. No personal service feeling at all. Once they got my money, they never offered to help with anything else. I thought I would get an additional on board credit since I booked 100% with my Disney Visa. Of course, they don't send me any info...I just fired off an email to them asking for the info.

What kind of service is everyone else receiving that I'm not? Is it because we only booked cat 10's?

Kerri

Heather98012
09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Update: Interestingly, about 30 mins after I posted how I was frustrated with DU, I got an email from the agent who gave me my quote. However, she said the price online is not available, as they are all booked. I understand that, but then, why is it still showing on their site?!

Hhhmm.....maybe I should just pay a few hundred more. You get what you pay for when it comes to customer service. I'll keep you updated!

tvguy
09-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I use a local travel agent. Used her for 25+ years. She is my travel expert and advocate if there is a problem with any portion of the trip.
I would suggest checking with friends to find if they have agents they like. It doesn't cost you anything to contact an travel agent and see if you like them.
I don't want to do any work when booking a vacation, I just tell my travel agent where I want to go and when and she does the rest. When excursion time comes up, no getting up at 3 am for me, she does it all.

RCBA
09-04-2007, 08:09 PM
DCL via phone

PurplePrincess4
09-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Direct with DCL. No Complaints although that Costco gift card would have been really nice!

Anal Annie
09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
First time we booked directly with DCL. For next July we booked the 4 n. cruise using our DVC points so we had to go thru DVC. Then we booked the 3 n. cruise in the same cabine back-to-back with it and we used DU. They were offering a $50 OBC + they actually did the booking on the DCL website, so they got the $25 from DCL too so we have a $75 OBC for the 3 n. Because they booked it thru the DCL website the price was exactly the same as if I'd done it myself - we just gained the OBC!! It would've been more of a credit except we only booked a Cat. 10 (snagged a SPH cabin for both cruises:banana: )!! I think the amount of the OBC is always $25 with DCL's website regardless of the category you book, but it usually varies with TA's depending on the category you book. The better the category, the better the credit!! Likewise, the longer the cruise, the better the credit.

BTW, I had no problems what-so-ever using DU - the girl we got was very responsive to all of my emails - and our reservation showed up on the DCL website right away so I can see it whenever I want and I can still call DCL directly if I want to with any questions I might have.:thumbsup2

theostwalts
09-04-2007, 08:37 PM
We booked with All Seasons. Sandra has been great and they were able to get us a midship Cat 3 which we were waitlisted for.

PeterandTink
09-04-2007, 09:45 PM
We booked with Travelocity .. it was the same price as DCL and we got a 100 OBC

Miss Jasmine
09-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I've booked my next two (4-day in November and EB Repo in August) with Christine at Fairytale Dreams and Destinations. She has very personal service. :)

happymommy
09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I booked directly by phone with DCL, but found out I can get $275 Costco gift card per cabin (we have connecting cat 10's) for our March 2008 spring break 7 night cruise. I shop there all the time and that can get a lot of groceries! I am checking with that cruisecompete.com to see if I can do better, but at spring break I think that this is going to be the best. Haven't transferred the reservation yet though.

CruisinEars
09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
We booked through Costco and are getting the gift card for $275. Only problem is we don't get it until several weeks after the cruise. But, we do all our major shopping at Costco, so it was worth it to us.

Heather98012
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I couldn't see anywhere on Costco's website what the dollar amt of the Costco card was. Does it vary depending on the amt of the cruise? The agent I chatted with on the phone didn't tell me either. Any ideas on where I can find this info out? TIA.

Lisa loves Pooh
09-05-2007, 06:21 PM
We used All Seas Travel!

They promptly informed us when Florida Residents Rates came out. And were patient when I bumped us up to a 9 then up to a 5 for the corresponding Fla Res discounts.

Also--when the DCL computers purged my Flounders and Palo Brunch Reservations, I called All Seas and they were the ones to track down with DCL that my reservations had existed then worked with DCL to get them reinstated. :)

We have no costco's near us--but that gift card sounds like a fabulous deal. :)

Conversely, we have our Carnival cruise booked with USAA and I am not sure I would ever use them again. Once they had our deposits, I felt the service lacking. Then our initial TA disappeared (turns out she didn't work there anymore) but noone told us. Then when I called recently (Can't recall why) and asked about documents, I was told we wouldn't get any. Three days later I got documents. They do use a 3rd party (it technically isn't USAA when you are dealing with them) and I can't say that I felt like there was any reason we should have booked with them in the first place. Ordinarily we find USAA's service to be wonderful--but we have not found this to be the case once we booked a cruise with them.

crissichef
09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
We booked direct with DCL for a $25 onboard credit then transferred it to Dreams Unlimited for $50 more! I checked around and that's the best we could find for the 7 day Western Alternate Double Dip Cruise in Sept 2008.

DisneyKevin
09-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Heather98012,

If you are having difficulty contacting Dreams UnlimitedTravel, please send me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com.

Just to let you know....we lost a firewall very early this morning and site and email were doen a good portion of the day.

Kevin

LUVMICKEY
09-05-2007, 09:08 PM
We've booked ours directly through DCL. Like one of the other poster said, it may be a little more money, but we just feel more comfortable.

lg3
09-05-2007, 09:10 PM
We booked through AAA - our TA was extremely helpful and kept us up to date on everything. They had the lowest price by a tad, but the OBC gave them an even greater edge. :thumbsup2

BamaMomof3
09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
What agent did you use or did you book directly through DCL? I have been looking around for a possible Nov/Wonder 3 day cruise. I am just, like everyone, trying to get the best possible deal. Thanks so much!!mo

I used Pam with mouseearvacations.com. She is awesome! I was nervous but she calmed my fears and anytime I ask her a question via email ( and I have and will still ask lots of questions cause I'm just like that:rotfl:) she has always gotten back with me through email within 10 minutes! Usually takes about 5! I am very pleased with her.

Good luck booking yours and if you have any other questions let me know and I will be glad to help you if I can!

woody73
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
We booked with All Seasons. Sandra has been great and they were able to get us a midship Cat 3 which we were waitlisted for.

We used All Seas Travel!

They promptly informed us when Florida Residents Rates came out. And were patient when I bumped us up to a 9 then up to a 5 for the corresponding Fla Res discounts.

Also--when the DCL computers purged my Flounders and Palo Brunch Reservations, I called All Seas and they were the ones to track down with DCL that my reservations had existed then worked with DCL to get them reinstated.
We too have used All Seasons Travel on several Disney cruises and are extremely pleased. They are very knowledgeable, have excellent pricing, and their service is second to none.

Woody

momof2disprincesses
09-08-2007, 10:45 PM
We have booked our 3rd cruise with Cruise deals online and our agents name is John. When ever we have a question we call him and he personally answers the phone. He is very personable.

Their price has always been several hundred dollars less than DCL. We don't get any OSC but what we have experience those agencies who offer it their price of the cruise goes up that same amount.

My best friend and her husband booked the same cruise that we are going on in Feb, a month or so after us and was able to get a cabin right next to us. We were so excited.

LoriS
09-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I book with DCL on their website.

Andrew DEREK UK
09-09-2007, 02:53 AM
I use DREAMS UNLIMITED, they have always been very good to me on service as well as OBC.

happymommy
09-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I couldn't see anywhere on Costco's website what the dollar amt of the Costco card was. Does it vary depending on the amt of the cruise? The agent I chatted with on the phone didn't tell me either. Any ideas on where I can find this info out? TIA.

If you call back, give them the exact details of the cruise and cabin you want, they should tell you. I think it's quite a chunk of their commission.

DVC-Don
09-09-2007, 04:31 PM
In 2003 we booked through DVC. Yesterday I booked direct with Disney Cruise, but last night we got a better price from an online TA.

Laurabearz
09-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I always book directly with Disney then transfer the reservation to Dreams Unlimited.

Not because I need a TA or even the OBC(although who can complain about more OBC lol), but the are the boards sponser, and I like to help Pete whenever I can. :thumbsup2

bettydau
09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
We re-booked in January for our trip next January. We had used AAA this year and transferred our 2008 trip to them when we got back. We changed our dates from what we had booked onboard, but that was no problem.:banana:

mommasita
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I always book directly with Disney then transfer the reservation to Dreams Unlimited.

Not because I need a TA or even the OBC(although who can complain about more OBC lol), but the are the boards sponser, and I like to help Pete whenever I can. :thumbsup2

I could not agree more :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

captaincrash
09-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I've personally sailed DCL 4x and am booked for another one next year. My total number of cruises taken so far are about 16 with a non Disney one set for December of this year.

My TA was referred to me by another happy DIS family. I've since booked 6 cabins with her for our upcoming Aug 2008 Panama Canal passage. Just to illustrate - she was up at the crack of dawn to obtain our cabins plus several others. Our sailing sold out in about 6 hours after intial release - and she obtained tier 1 or tier 2 pricing for us. Not too bad eh? I've heard horror stories of service at TAs where they have no familarity with Disney.

Plus shes' been on just over 60 Disney cruises - so she is a well informed expert (arguably). She will book our reservations for palos' just after midnite when the access opens up to ensure we get what we ask for.... if humanly possible. Plus we get $300 OBC for the window or inside cabins and $600 OBC forthe veranda or better cabins with her. I think this only applies to our 15 nite panama voyage.

Aside from these examples - I'd say my TA has been a lot more than I would have expected... as a professional and as a candid professional.

I've heard good things about DU - but I think my TA (Barbara) is a notch or two better and definately offers personal attention to our business. Of course, every business and TA has thier strengths and disavantages.

Mindibellcm
09-11-2007, 05:29 AM
I've personally sailed DCL 4x and am booked for another one next year. My total number of cruises taken so far are about 16 with a non Disney one set for December of this year.

My TA was referred to me by another happy DIS family. I've since booked 6 cabins with her for our upcoming Aug 2008 Panama Canal passage. Just to illustrate - she was up at the crack of dawn to obtain our cabins plus several others. Our sailing sold out in about 6 hours after intial release - and she obtained tier 1 or tier 2 pricing for us. Not too bad eh? I've heard horror stories of service at TAs where they have no familarity with Disney.

Plus shes' been on just over 60 Disney cruises - so she is a well informed expert (arguably). She will book our reservations for palos' just after midnite when the access opens up to ensure we get what we ask for.... if humanly possible. Plus we get $300 OBC for the window or inside cabins and $600 OBC forthe veranda or better cabins with her. I think this only applies to our 15 nite panama voyage.

Aside from these examples - I'd say my TA has been a lot more than I would have expected... as a professional and as a candid professional.

I've heard good things about DU - but I think my TA (Barbara) is a notch or two better and definately offers personal attention to our business. Of course, every business and TA has thier strengths and disavantages.

How do you contact Barbara? Thanks.