PDA

View Full Version : Parasailing recommendations....St. Maarten or Castaway Cay?

colbybug
09-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Seems like Castaway Cay would be more expensive.... has anyone been and can tell me how long you are up there for and for how much? I know that Castaway Cay is $75 but for how long of a ride??? We went years ago on Orient Beach in St. Maarten and it didn't seem like too much money (since there were three of us). Is there a weight limit or a restriction on how many people can go at once? I swear we had three people go at once but we were smaller then.....:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Kathy

ibouncetoo
09-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, there is something to be said for seeing THIS while you are up there!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p2fd9c9003f18b6bc6dd1a2eb3ae20837/eab6a24b.jpg (javascript:downloadOriginal())

Two people can go tandem...I think the weight limit was 350 (there was a minimum weight also). You are up there about 8 minutes (might vary slightly due to the number of people in your boat). I also really enjoyed just zipping around in the speedboat too, so the ENTIRE experince was great for me.

Can't tell you about St Maarten....haven't been there...YET.

CraftyMouse
09-03-2007, 12:39 PM
It wasn't one of your options but we went parasailing on St. Thomas and it was wonderful. The scenery was amazing as you could see all of the nearby islands while you were up there. We stayed in the air about 15 minutes and I believe the cost was $110 for two of us to go tandem.

Personally I would rather do it on one of the islands and save Castaway Cay for lounging on the beach and soaking up paradise but that's just me. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you choose to do it.

CRUIZEN MAMMA
09-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Castaway Cay has postponed all parasailing excusions -I tried to book for NOV 18th -. no go hopefully they will be reinstated while we are there.

Hope this helps,

CraftyMouse
09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I believe DCL has now found a new vendor for parasailing and it is once again available.

tweidner
09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I:cool2: :cool2: i would definitely do it at Orient beach in St. Martin. I just did it there on August 8th and it was wonderful and reasonably priced. I paid $49 per person. It would have been $47 if I paid in cash.

stampinshauna
09-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I've never been at St. Maarten, but it sounds like a fun thing to do there. I love parasailing at Castaway Cay, there is nothing like being up in the air and being able to see Castaway Cay and the Magic from the sky.

colbybug
09-04-2007, 03:58 PM
So it looks like Castaway Cay is $75 per person and lasts about 8 minutes or so... My sister (who was one of the three that parasailed last time) said that she thought that they all went for $100 total (for all three of them). My hubby and I are hoping that between the two of us we might add up to that three people weight requirement :rotfl2: ! She also said that it seemed like they were up there for quite awhile too! So it looks like Orient Beach will be alot less expensive although there aren't any views of the Magic! Oh well.

CraftyMouse - we are going to SNUBA on St. Thomas. Supposedly it is a much better island to snorkel on than St. Maarten. So we are saving our watersports for St. Maarten. My personal favorite is to jet ski! Whoohoo! I just love to get my 75 yr old mom out there. She is a pretty reserved person but she just hoops and hollers when we take her for a ride- it is a crackup and worth every penny!

Hi StampinShauna :wave2: When are you sailing next? Thanks again for the Christmas ornament that you brought back from Disneyland! My husband and little boy were really surprised and just loved it! You're the best!

Kathy

CraftyMouse
09-04-2007, 07:08 PM
CraftyMouse - we are going to SNUBA on St. Thomas. Supposedly it is a much better island to snorkel on than St. Maarten. So we are saving our watersports for St. Maarten. My personal favorite is to jet ski! Whoohoo! I just love to get my 75 yr old mom out there. She is a pretty reserved person but she just hoops and hollers when we take her for a ride- it is a crackup and worth every penny!

Where do you rent jet skis in St. Maarten? DH and DS would LOVE to do this. We'll be renting a car and exploring the island so we will be open to going anywhere!

Thanks!

colbybug
09-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I've been to St. Maarten three times - twice to Dawn Beach which was SO beautiful but there are no water sports and once to Orient Beach. I don't know if this is allowed but the following is a web address that gives you an AMAZING panoramic view of Orient Beach. It is also very beautiful but there are all kinds of quaint little restaurants and shops, parasailing, jet skiing, etc. It is the same beach that Disney takes their shore excursion people to but you can get there MUCH cheaper on your own and it is VERY easy. Taxi drivers are all over the place at the port and they will make arrangements to pick up you up at a predetermined time and take you back to the ship or drop you off in town to shop....I think it is about $6 per person one way....but that was a few years ago :confused3

The only thing you might want to know is that at the far end is "Club Orient" and it is a "clothing optional" beach and some of those "naturists" wander down the beach so if that is someone that you would rather not see, then simply ask your taxi driver to drop you off further up the beach like at Bikini Beach (where Disney does). I think 75% of the drivers drop cruise passengers off by Pedro's which is in closer proximity to Club Orient. That is where we were left and we didn't see alot of nudity but there was some - none of it was BayWatch material either. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Anyway, here is the address:
http://home.carolina.rr.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

Kathy